So, someone figured out that Gaben is rolling in cash right now. We could talk about that. But let's not. Instead...

archive.is/RH3Se

So, someone figured out that Gaben is rolling in cash right now. We could talk about that. But let's not. Instead, I want to talk about the retards crying about Steam having a "monopoly". And by the retards, I mean other video game stores.

So, motherfuckers, let's talk. You say Steam has a monopoly on PC games. Not only is that wrong, since plenty of places still sell PC games, and other online services like GOG have sprouted up, but it's obviously trying to obfuscate the truth: The reason Steam took such a large portion of the market is because they offer a good service. I mean, consumers had to fight tooth and nail to get digital distribution to finally become a thing, and not just in the video game market, but in film, music, books, etc. The physical format peddlers did everything they could to prevent the appearance of digital distribution, and it's only because a handful of people too stubborn to let lawsuits stop them just kept going that we have it right now. Steam was one of those enterprises.

Now, I want you to realize something: Steam began offering the possibility of refunds less than a year ago. They've had security issues. They've brought DRM to the next level. And despite all its failings, Steam is still superior to the alternatives, and has been for well over a decade now. Why is that? Simple: They aim to make money by providing a service as well as possible instead of trying to screw consumers out of as much money as possible.

Seriously, that's it. I haven't been to a place like Gamestop in years, but I don't recall them ever, EVER having sales. They would sell used, scratched to hell copies of a game at 95% of the full price after giving back 5% of the full price to the person who returned it. Steam doesn't harass me with extended warranty bullshit either. I don't have to leave my house and bother with traffic and noisy kids to get a copy. In fact, I don't have to worry about them being out of copies. None of that "Expect 50 sales, send 20 copies" bullshit publishers used to pull. They don't pull games from their "shelves" because of regressive fucktards either. And despite the DRM, all my single player games are available offline, unless the publisher made it unavailable, in which case that's on them, not Steam.

Steam has a semi-monopoly on PC games because for over a decade, none of you bothered to try and do better. I mean the first true competitor Steam got in the digital distribution game was Origin, which sucked complete and utter ass and only gained some traction because it was forced on people for some games. The only half-decent competitor Steam got in the last few years is GOG for fuck's sake.

tldr: Quit bitching and start providing decent services to your customers and maybe you'll get a significant market share.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/RH3Se
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I know you can't suck your own dick over that belly, Gabe, but that was a nice try all the same.

tl;dr

1 shill
2 you're not entirely wrong either. At the least, steam isn't a walled garden… yet.

unfortunately, investors of companies want growth. So at some point, Valve will start jewing, and people in the garden will have few alternatives that had the opportunity to build the infrastructure steam has.

It's a bad position. GoG really is the only real competitor I can think of.

GoG will never give Valve any real competition because they sell their games without DRM. As long as that happens most publishers won't want to use GoG as a platform.

Trump has way more than $3.7 bn

These lists only include liquid assets. Guess what, if you sold a house in a week for cash, you'd get fucking nothing for it. If he had time to liquidate his properties properly and make deals, he'd have double that, easily.

If there is a single highly successful megastore and dozens of other struggling tiny businesses, the mega store still effectively has a monopoly.

Valve is privately owned

If the megastore's monopoly depends on everyone else trying to screw their customers, it's not their fault.

Not nearly to the level other businesses are, and even less now that they offer refund.

Hivemind at work

they have a lot of shit no one else has, but none of it is particularly quality
they make cash cuz they at least try

is the company who owns it not the biggest investor in the product ?

which dick is better when you have no other choice but hate both? :^)

All publicly owned companies get driven into the ground because the investors that take over are so out of touch with the industry they probably don't even know who Mario is. Most CEOs they appoint just jew as hard as they can boost their short term profits for their next CEO job and have a golden parachute if they get fired.

I agree with you, OP, but you do realise liking anything here is a bannable offence?

Anyway, yeah, Steam is kind of shit and has only improved, kicking and screaming, thanks to consumer pressure and the encroachment of GOG, even if GOG seems to be more of a friendly rivalry. You're spot on, though, that a giant DRM machine with notoriously bad QC being able to effectively kill physical stores being part of PC gaming shows more that Game et al are the real cartels.

Plus, the very existence and success of GOG shows again that it's not a monopoly, it's something that found a gap, and does what it does well, because GOG is the same. You can't even really use the stinking rich thing, because before Steam and GOG, Valve and CDPR weren't the huge companies they are now (which is considerably on the back of digital distribution). Any of the big companies, like EA, Ubi or SE could've done something better with their seemingly boundless resources, since they can afford to make so many dogshit flops.

[code]/rant[code]

How about not actually owning your games for one?

I thought he was worth near $10b?

Says in the ToS that if valve goes out of business, they'll give DRM-free copies to all the owners.

I was gonna reply to him to, then I noticed the mountain dew tag. He almost had me, but I was too quick.

Suck a fat fucking cock you kike.
Next you will defend Facebook, EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Apple, and all the like. Cause according to you "If they provide a decent services to fucking inbred morons, they are a good company". What you are missing is that Steam is not needed nor is it necessary. I know countless developers how have their own websites to distribute their games and make a good living doing so.
FUCKING KILL YOURSELF JEW FAGGOT

You double nigger you deleted your comment! I saw your comment faggot, you can't hide your shame from everyone. This is the internet.

Trump lies about his money alot user. It's why he won't release his tax returns.

This tbh

Fuckoff back to Nichegamer turd muncher.

They own like 75% of the market. No developer is going to give up 75% of their potential base. PC devs are essentially at Valves mercy right now. If for whatever reason they decide that games that display non-progressive values will not be sold in their store, then those games will no longer be made. Remember Hatred getting pulled from the store? If it wasn't for Gaben interfering then it would have stayed that way, what happens when he finally retires? Whatever Valve says, goes, they have the whole PC game market by the balls right now. They aren't technically have a monopoly, but with the amount of power they have they might as well be. This should scare anyone who isn't a braindead fanboy.

Think thats his personnel wealth. Think the 10 billion is if you include all his business assets and property around the world.

Oh, here's an archive of the OP.
archive.is/RH3Se
I don't like how hard NG shill themselves here.

Is right with regards to being privately owned, but to reply to

Valve is growing like an early Dobson cartoon and nothing can stop it, aside from maybe some cataclysmic event. To put it in perspective, the paid mods fiasco had them hemorrhaging money, but they shrugged that off with a "gee, sorry folks!" The losses they made were easily swallowed by what they make off of Steam. They could all retire to the Bahamas and spend the rest of their lives jerking off into coconuts, and they'd all be set for life.

That's why, in my view, the only sensible view would be to split Valve into the Steam Services portion and the Valve Studios portion, so game devs work on making stuff, and digital distribution is worked on by web/software engineers.
With Valve employees split across both and , famously, fannying about with wheelie desks, they can always leave patching security vulnerabilities on Steam for the thrill of debuffing another well-loved TF2 class build, or adding paid footsteps to CS:GO, and when actually making a game seems like hard work, they can just redesign the Steam store to have more social bollocks.
If they became two separate departments, or even companies, with Valve Software as an overarching body, then they'd finally pull their fingers out in both camps.

>/rant[code]>Autism>Couldn't even autism right as it would be [code]rant

Are you a shill?

I don't believe it for a second. If they go out of business, and they don't follow through on giving their games away there are no consequences for them. They're fucking you in the ass and you're taking it like a good goy.

I hope you're enjoying your dinner, you fat jew. You probably share as much with your employees as (((Mark))) shares cakes.

Which is my point. If other businesses put any effort into assisting their customers, they would have a share of the market.

I've given up on trying to argue the point, OP. Everyone just ignores what you're saying, and just writes about the MONOPOLY and MUH DRM and all that nonsense and they don't get the points of why Steam is a good thing. They don't realize that GOG only works as a service for obscure and old games, and that GOG is not realistic on the market because of its stance against DRM at all. BRs and Russians and NEETs won't buy games, and I've seen dozens of these literal retards go on the Steam discussion boards and spread links on where to download games outside of Steam, which obviously gets their accounts banned. Then they go gripe on reddit, Holla Forums or wherever about how Steam is so shit now, muh monopoly, blah blah blah.

You can argue and prove your point 5x repeatedly, and the anti-Steam faggot will ignore your point every time and restate his buzzwords as if they are proof or proven by his own affirmation bias. So fuck it.

Please tell me the people are shills.

w/e you say. I'd rather get an ancient game like spellforce for $1 on a steam sale, than $10 on gog any day of the week.

Or you could just pirate it.

Touche, although theres a reason why no one makes games with Holla Forums as it's target audience.

I think you fail to realize the the epidemic that is cuckshitan and plebbit are here. Forever. So enjoy the fucking ride. Mods do not give a shit about you.

Cause finding a game, and finding a the developer and buying it directly from them is just so fucking hard. Devs are hipster lazy pieces of shit nowadays and Steam just gives them a platform. Kill yourself faggot.

Are you that fucking dense? Really? It's a statement about how shitty everyone else is that Steam has made Gaben a multibillionaire just by actually selling games. If other businesses stopped desperately trying to screw their customers, they'd do way better.

Learn how to write a god damn sentence, you dyslexic piece of shit.

Not an argument.

This is his first post in the thread. This is the second thread I've seen today with IP hopping goons that fail remember which IP they're on. Why are we being raided?

This isn't a raid, nor am I an "IP hopping goon" you literal faggot. I've been arguing the point for a long time about how the anti-Steam faggots like yourself are wrong, but you not only don't listen to reasonable points, you blatantly ignore right points because they shake up your world view. "Oh shit, I might be wrong, no wait, instead I'll attack it in another way!"

If not for Steam, PC gaming would be a dead hobby. It was BECAUSE of Steam that more devs started making PC versions. GOG wouldn't even exist if not for Steam making game devs comfortable with the PC platform again with the digital download model, yet people act like the only acceptable form of game outlet is GOG.

I can lead you to water, but I can't get you to drink, because you'd rather drink piss water and think you're being too clever. Piracy isn't inherently bad, but having a smug attitude about being a pirate is inherently retarded.

Go back to Reddit Gabe. You're right, Steam doesn't have a monopoly because i can get it straight off Piratebay. You're as irrelevant as the brick & mortar stores you forced out the market.

they have a ton of exclusive jap games