ITT: Horribly optimized games

ITT: Horribly optimized games
Pic fucking related, I'm still baffled how even with modern hardware the framerate still chugs and is wildly inconsistent.

TF2, it used to run fine until they bloated it.

Rockstar was at least aware of how horribly optimized it was and made GTA V so fucking optimized it runs on a toaster

Source MP is optimized as fuck

I really wanna play GTA 4 because I like the idea of just walking around in a big, dreary city.
Is it still nearly unplayable?

It's not for me.

Wait, really?

Meme dogs 2 and chink dogs are better for that purpose, i assume.

Yeah, everyone says how GTA V has a great port, but it still runs like shit on my 970 with a 4670.

Watch Dogs 2 is the complete opposite of the original. Granted I liked it a bit more the original but its still not worth much besides $20 tops. Now Sleeping Dogs or Mafia 2 are good games in that regard.

Last I checked it was, I dont know if even mods fixed that.

Can you do funny ragdoll shit in Meme Dogs 2 like you can in GTA IV?

Sims 3 runs worse than any major game I've ever seen. It literally breaks if you have all the expansions.

At some point it's like new hardware barely matters when playing it. I think it's just the way it was made. If you want to see the game how everyone else saw it, look at how the 360/PS3 versions look. I'd take a steady framerate at a decent resolution over that anyday.
I do get a different feeling playing it, everything in the game down to CRT TVs in the game gives it that feel of being mid 2000s, not 2017.

I don't remember having issues with it.
I had an Athlon x4 620 and a Radeon HD 6750.
Maybe I didn't turn on certain graphics option which made it fuck up.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that, I had a decent build around the first time I played it and it still struggled to output 60fps with everything turned down (P2 X4 970 + HD5870), hell even my newest PC (4770k + GTX1070) can't max out everything without dipping under 30 regularly.

I love you, user

Theres also this shit. On top of being a poor Dead Rising game it also ran poorly, even the best the Xbone could do was run it at 720p 30fps and even then I hear the framerate drops there were still horrible.

What options were there that caused the game to fuck up? I keep hearing shadows or draw distance have something to do with the framerate.

I dont remember much about GTA4 on 360 besides the framerate varying wildly. Credit where credit is due it still did a lot of shit for the time. As for the phone I loved using it as soon as you got those wallpapers, I have no idea why I loved those so much.

Draw distance, probably. The game looks nice when you crank it but if you want a good framerate you will be looking at a Liberty City skyline of high gray rectangles and low red cubes.

On the topic of GTA IV, what are some must have mods that work on a pirated 1.0.7 copy?

dark souls

If I remember correctly, if you want it to look good then, you need to creat a file named commandline.txt and add something in it to increase the amount of Ram it uses.

The Hitomi Player model and female player voice and animation mods, if you want to play as a cute girl instead of a slav. And don't forget to go to the animation editor and remove Niko's idle animations, so you won't see her scratch her crotch.
And an ENB or ICE enhancer. Good luck finding one that looks good, doesn't take off like 20 frames and doesn't crash on 1.0.7. But if you find one, link it here for us. Please?

They improved it a bit in one of the patches, but parts of the game still turn into chuggy mess, or slideshow. It doesn't even look good most of the time.

Ok thanks, what is the best torrent for GTA IV, since the Mr DJ repack is fucking up for me?

I use the steam version I got for like $10 a few years ago. Have you tried IGG?

R* Toronto's fault and they patched some of it, I got a superrig so I can play with ultra shadows.

Bump. It's too bad that most ENBs just crank up saturation and ruin the skybox effects leading to a constant foggy day, but this one seems OK.

Man… Grayscale games were so realistic.

You really need to strike a balance, NYC isn't really a colorful city but red bricks should be red. Vanilla GTAIV overdid it with washed out colors, and it doesn't help that the game is set in fall.
Also it doesn't help that they wasted time modeling dirty jersey, it was my least favorite part of the game and the streets curved all over the place. A bigger brooklyn and manhattan would have been cool. The early parts of the game are my favorite, and when you get to whatever they called jersey it's a chore to get out there again and again. The starting areas of the brooklyn map seemed like they had twice the attention to detail of the rest of the game, and you hardly explore them.

Fuck, I know that's a screenshot from the game, but still.
Fuck.

My PC would probably run that at a silky smooth 2 FPS.

Vanilla looks better

They did such a good job with atmosphere. You couldn't find actual photos of the NYC neighborhoods in these screenshots and not get a little uncanny valley with the level of detail.

Yeah, most ENB are like that. The worst are the ones that mess with light occlusion and make any interior area either pitch black in full daylight or give rooms lightbulbs like neon lights at a rave.

Mind recommending some for us?
Every single one I try either crashes on start up, lowers my frame rate to 20 or like you said, ruins lighting in indoor areas.

The bottleneck is somewhere in either RAM or the CPU
source; my laptop with a skylake i7 and 970m with DDR4 RAM runs that shit on ultra

this picture is really fucking with me head. If it weren't for the lower res textures it just looks like a plain photograph.

Ok, so I got the IGG version and it contains both GTA IV and EFLC. How do I set up my game to be modder friendly, google gives me nothing.

I should try gta iv with photo realism.

I think iCEnhancer is one of the best, but I'm not sure. It's the "original" enb that was around first. There's also a few hi res texture packs out there.

The first Dead Space for PC. I got it for free on
and thought I would just deal with it. I had multiple glitches that prevented me from beating the game, mostly having to do with fucking with mouse inputs and even vsynch making the mouse go really fast. Compatibility mode worked for 70% of the game after hours of digging and messing with settings but eventually nothing worked and I couldn't finish it. EA has done nothing to remedy these issues either.

This.
Horrifyingly bad port that keeps me from playing the damned thing.

Wrong.
Having all the detail pop in at dick range isn't "optimization". Runs much better than any other PC port of any other rockstar game save for mp3, but it still runs like dogshit.

It's a shit game and the car physics are famous for being garbage, you might have better luck with watch dogs. You can try the older GTAs, or GTA 5 which is shit but the car handling is "bad, but bearable" and the map is (graphically) pretty good.
If you just want to drive around instead of being able to walk, The Crew is still the best game for it.

Every time someone says shit like this is photorealistic or even realistic in general i never know if they're "30fps is all people can see" retarded, or behind multiple layers of irony. It does look really good though. Last time i tried the mods that make the game look like that it crashed every 2 minutes, and after a few seconds of gameplay the game would run out of ram (even if i touched up the ram limits) and everything would be a muddy LOD model/texture.

Saints Row 2 PC "port"
It pisses me off so much because it's the best Saints Row.

One of the Best Action games of all time also has one of the worst PC ports of all time. The game will slows down no matter what hardware you have. You know why.

Sound

The game slows down when there is too much Sound happening at the same time.
In order for it to run well you need to remove most of the music, and this is a Devil May Cry game so that is a sin in of itself.

Thankfully the Style Switcher mod fixes allot of things but that only became a thing resonantly.

The shitty crack ran surprisingly well on my mid-range machine.

It was bad enough on Steam I hear but on the GoG version it ran on a silky smooth 20 FPS it felt like. Its horrible because its a great game but the port is still dogshit and unlike Red Faction they didnt go back and give it an update. I normally dont advocate re-releases but this game badly deserves it since its only playable on 360.

RIGHT HERE
Here it is
Worst PC port of all time for one of the best games. True one of those cookie cutter Arkham games is lauded as the worst port but that wasn't released playable, this was called playable and it wasn't. When you could make it playable it looked like shit far below what an xbox could do.

This, but since it is EA that is a bloody given. And a damn shame, because I enjoy it immensely before the memory leak bug happens.

Steam version was fixed

can confirm, used to run TF2 in background while playing something else just to idle for drops
did this on a shit with 512mb ram

Wrong. The game drops frames massively if you run it in borderless window mode and the pop-in is a joke. Also, did I mention that the game's anti-aliasing is fucking terrible? Not to mention the downgrades from 2013 E3. Also, no mouse support for menus at all. Hope you enjoy pressing a button a thousand times to get to the bottom of your fucking soldier list when REMOVING KIKONGO.

Oh fuck, i didn't actually get to the part where kikongo strikes before i quit the game. I spent a lot of time raiding people's FOBs because i'm pretty good at it and most of the time i could go unnoticed even on the most heavily guarded ones so i could nigger people's shit without risks and it was fun.
Last time i checked, almost everyone in my base spoke kikongo

There was a third Dead rising? Is it good?

According to Boundary Break, Dark Souls didn't cull the majority of its environments.
Anor Londo isn't 2D but entirely 3D sans some floors

Payday 2 is a gigantic piece of dog anus, holy fuck it's unoptimized.

GTA V runs on a goddamn 9800GT, that's a feat in itself. I admit the LOD pop in is brutal, but it runs nonetheless.

Don't forget you need to unpack all 40GBs of the game every time you need a 10MB update

And then we still have fucking bugs out the ass because who the fuck needs QA anyway.

Reminds me of

Back before I got my external, I had to fucking uninstall and re-install the game every time an update came out.

Hue, me and my friend both play with DLC unlocker because paying $100+ for most of the game is total ass in my book.
It's a fun game tho i got 370 hours in it and i only started playing it in august-ish, got a DW mask too before the OD update happened

Bought this on a steam sale and sperged the fuck out when I realized how much of a bad port it was. Had to emulate on PCSX2. Looked and ran way better than what the PC version was even capable of. Bonus rumble support because I'd rather play with a gamepad anyway. Thank fuck for piracy.

What a piece if shit, reeminds me of a shitty Nexon game.
Fucking Swedish kikes, they had something special here and they completely blew it.

Nintendo please

They added fucking parallax mapping to a 15 year old engine they don't even have the source code of, why are you so surprised that it runs like ass?

Don't they fucking own the Diesel Engine?
What the fuck?

No idea about how they even got the linux version to work, but it's better. Mainly because it's 64 bits instead of the 32 bit windows version and it runs on either opengl 3.0 or 3.1, which is opengl's directx 10 counterpart, and i personally get better performance overall with it. It was probably ported by someone overkill hired, not overkill themselves.

I ran it on a 660 at 120FPS with no drops on max.
Not gonna disagree that its horribly optimized though. The game looks like shit and even on the maximum settings the streets are barely populated, the object pop in is intense, the textures are all blurry as if on purpose and the world feels overdosed on post processing effects to artificially make it greyer and browner.

All my wut.

The quality of people's faces seems to have taken a hit in a lot of AAA games lately. DR$, the smug disarm from the Mass Effect nigress, Aiden's face in Watch Dogs. Faces are so important for creating a good visual connection with characters and devs want people to feel invested in their characters. Why can they not spend a bit more time on it to reap massive dividends?

Pretty much, i stopped as soon as the missions started being recycled.

I can run it fine, it's stable on my ancient OC system.
2600k @ 4.6
960GTX 4GB
I also close all background crap and run the process at a high priority.
Full settings running at 2560x1080.

Good point.

It's probably just different styles of making it. Look at the DR1 faces, they're simple textures over the model, even the beards are textures. Now look at the new faces, they went overboard on polycount (probably making the engine shit itself with the LOD) and they have that shitty modeled pube hair (esp. visible on the black guy).

Modding is mostly good old,overwrite this file manually type which I perfer. Some of the scripting ones require that OpenIV or SparkIV is used. Most likely you won`t be able to edit graphics options however it is a very easy fix, pcgamingwiki is very useful. Is it version 1.0.8?

The Gentleman of the Row mod, makes it so much more playable. There is already setup repack based off of the Gog version in the Share thread`s MegaArchive that also includes some other mods (radio,CPU speed and some others).

1.0.7.0 for gta iv & 1.2.0.0 (i think) for elfc.

I feel like Witcher 2 and 3 are unoptimised. I can run 1 fine but anytime I put 2 more than high it starts dropping frames all over the place.

At release, my top of the line box was chugging along at sub-30fps with stuttering and graphical artifacts even after disabling as much lighting as possible. It was a total disaster.

its Passable now but at launch it couldn't even be run on a computer from NASA

Try playing good games.

What card are you running it on?

I remember playing them both on a 750Ti
Witcher 2 ran pretty well on it but 3 ran around 30FPS, playable but less than ideal.

660GTX It really is about time I pulled everything out by the drives and upgraded though.