Did they really need to turn this series into a comedy?

Yes, the first was just a generic low budget horror

Now it either could have turned into typical 80s horror garbage and get sequel upon sequel while losing the thing that made them beloved horror movies. Or you have the director do what he originally wanted to do and make a dark comedy.

Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are infinitely more enjoyable than the first, so yes.

Evil Dead 2 > Army of Darkness > Ash vs Evil Dead > Evil Dead > the PS1 game

The first movie had a chick get sexually assaulted by a tree.

It was always a comedy.

I heard the reboot of the 1st movie was apparently good.

Rape is never funny

But it is always hilarious.

Stop it

Just let it happen.

Go away (ㆆ_ㆆ)

If you want a comedy you won't like it. If you want a well-done horror story with gore to the max you'll love it.

What about clown rape?

The first was far too campy and low budget to work as a straight horror. ED 2 carried on with the comedy and turned it more into the cult classic it is today.

Yes, Bruce Campbell wasn't born to create horror I'm sorry to say. He was fated to make dumb fun goofy shit, and I know he really did want to make a horror movie and Evil Dead came close but it just ended up working better as a macabre action/comedy.
That said Xena & Hercules is pretty nostalgic for me, so my opinion is probably clouded by oversentimental bullshit.

I liked him in Manic Cop he was not his goofy self in that one

(Checked)
Well he does have some range at the very least.

They did a good job, I liked it…. Honestly the first movie is great though, nothing "generic" about it to the discerning. Too many monkey brained fagsticks around here

Brisco County Jr. was grat.

I hope Trump America turns into 80s 2.0 so we can have a 90s reboot. I miss the 90s.

The louder you yell the slower I thrust.

Those aren't comedies they're just very shitty movies

It was never a matter of choice. The 1st one tried it's best to be a horror film, but then it accidentally turned into a comedy half-way through. The 2nd one was a "remake" of the 1st one, only this time it was full-on dark humor. So the answer is that the creators simply found out that they can't make good horror, but they can make good comedy. We got Army of Darkness out of it, so I'd say everything turned out for the better.

When I think about it I'm just grateful Evil Dead didn't end up having over 6 million sequels. Like some other horror movies do.

Wasn't that Robert Z'dar?

I just wish we'd gotten Ash in the post apocalyptic future.

It's fun for half the people involved

Z'dar was the Maniac cop I thought. Campbell was the Detective

There's a TV show on Netflix. Haven't seen it.

Season 3 isn't up yet

Comedy > Horror. There is a billion horror movies who are pretty great, but only a few comedies.

You sound like someone who doesn't like horror movies.

in a era with absolutely nothing to watch that isnt pro-cuck or marxist propaganda, it's a watchable show.

Nah, its one of the few genuine genres of cinema, with a culture of its own separated from the big studio crap, and a large number of fucked up independent creators. How not to love it? Phantasm and Opera are my favorites (I know they are pretty flawed, but they were first loves).

But Comedy is some of the hardest shit to do right, and Evil Dead did it very well.

Evil Dead > Evil Dead 2 >>> Army of Darkness

Suuure…

Have you watched Chucky? Shit is hilarious for the wrong reasons.

The first Child's Play wasn't funny and it's still a horror classic. Also, Evil Dead II may have some slapstick but it's only classified as a "comedy" because the Ash survives at the end.

It aged like milk though

0/10 post

The doll animatronics still hold up and even look better than in the new movies.

Campbell is just an all round bro. He knows he's a corny actor and enjoys making movies like that. He seems happy to get a pay check for doing dumb shit and tries to give credit to the crew more than himself.

It's very very bad. The plot goes no where and Ash isn't the main character. The Jewess and the taco kid are. Ash just sits in the background then 4 episodes after it appears kills a Deadite.

Episode 2's entire purpose is telling you how Jewish the Jewess is.

Yes, because they were funny.

It's like if they crossed My Name Is Bruce with the Evil Dead-remake

Yes, it was pure knho.

maybe so, but it's still a waste of a great horror premise