Riddle me this, Holla Forums: why is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel so boring?

Riddle me this, Holla Forums: why is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel so boring?
The series already started going down hill with BL2, but this is just the definition of a bland game.

Because hipsters?

Wasn't this the one not made by Gearbox but 2k Australia who gave zero fucks about it? If I had to work on a Borderlands game, I'd give zero fucks about it.

wouldn't know. didn't play it but if its anything like the second one then there is your answer.

because it's made by australains

Much worse actually

Its weird how Borderlands 2 was a step up in terms of being a good PC port and DLC/game support, but was a step back in terms of writing, story, and wanted to be more of an action game. I'm genuinely tempted to try Pre-sequel though just to see how they managed to get worse over time.

Instead of making a game that just lets you shoot things, Gearbox and 2k Australia double downed on making the game a boring slog through a story nobody wants to do. The entire game is literally just you listening to constantly talk at you and following your objective marker while occasionally killing a random group of things, and even that gets tiring because there's absolutely no meaningful conflict to be found.
Seriously, you're playing as the villains, a bunch of mercenaries hired by Jack to kill people. How do you fuck that up?
At least Borderlands 2 had a bunch of content that really did just let you go around and shoot things.

That takes skill in sucking.

Because cuck writers

That's not a bad thing, but BL1 and 2 suffer from the same problem. RPG leveling and statistics don't easily carry over to an FPS.

Never played Pre-Memequel, but having played BL2 for a considerable amount of time, I'd wager that the problem is bullet sponge enemies combined with little-to-no interesting movement quirks or mechanics.

I still think it can be done, but it certainly needs a bit more thinking besides enemies being bigger damage sponges if your levels and numbers arent as good as the enemies. Games like EDF, Dead Rising, and Borderlands are at the least interesting attempts at bringing RPG elements to action games outside of the usually pointless skilltree system.

It's not that they don't transfer, it's that they don't transfer in the combination of PvE, quest-heavy games for very long. It's difficult to come up with new abilities and powers that give you more real options in combat, and difficult to come up with enemies to counter those options (which could be from one of four characters) without just making them bullet sponges.

I think Borderlands could work as a much shorter game, taking cues from Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor/2. Give you more characters to pick from, aim the campaign time for 2-3 hours (and a multitude of campaigns), give fewer but more meaningful level up choices, and who knows, add a "prestige" or "artifact" or some bullshit-named system for keeping the really good guns you find for later characters on later runs to use.

It's just hard to stay excited about the same character doing the same things with the same issues for 50 hours, even if I have friends to enjoy it with.

They should've taken notes from STALKER or Monster Hunter. Tying damage purely to gear would've solved some of the issues the game had.

Or hell, really copy from Killing Floor 2 and make your character level up over the course of several campaigns (but still - fewer, more important level up decisions).

This is now a cuck thread

Admittedly I never really played STALKER so I dont know how it works there, though it would be nice if Borderlands focus on systems more like Monster Hunter instead of focusing on levels and grabbing one of a billion identical guns.

Because Borderlands as a whole is boring

Kill yourself cuckold

Go play it. No point in me explaining how it works.

This fucking board gets worse every fucking day, I swear.
Its no longer better than cuckchan, its a fucking proxy and an alternative for the banned young adult niggers that Hiroshima and his SJW mods pleasently give month long absences.

I seriously don't understand how it's so goddamn boring.
I actually played it up until level 20 or so. Here's some reasons off the top of my head:
At least playable Claptrap means that he's less intrusive than before.

I think this just made the game much slower and most of the levels feel like giant underwater pinball tables. There were also quite a lot of instant death holes that seemed deliberately placed to catch you out.

Yeah, I should say that it allows for better movement in theory. The low gravity makes moving unsatisfying as all fuck. The indoors areas were actually pretty fun but they were way too infrequent early game. Everything was just too fucking slow from the story to the weapons to the movement itself.

all I can remember is that within the first 5 minutes of the game a lesbian moon giant wymyn bitches about muh girrlfriend, there's a sidequest-line all about helping poor oppressed commie wymynlets and Torgue is harangued into becoming feminist by aforementioned moonlelts

(Checked)
Yes, I agree that was their theory but no one with even the most basic of imagination or visualisation skills would agree with it. Being stuck in the air for too long is obviously incredibly frustrating. Jump pads were only fun in Q3A because they were fast. Yes, you're hit the nail on the head about it all being about slowness. Having to wait around for the endless and countless dialogues to end was brutally boring.

Claptrap was a neat little character in the first Borderlands, but turned into total shit in two.

Constantly floating was just bothersome, trying to reach high places was annoying because the "jump boost" that you use with your O2 is also binded into your jump button, so when trying to jump again from an odd surface, I'd instead use the boost and lose Oxygen and then I have to run around looking for an air source. It's like you're playing the underwater Labyrinth Zone levels from Sonic all the time.

Unlike you, user, most of us don't want to see Anthony Burch's ugly-ass face all the time
user, you might not realize it, but you're the cancer. You even wasted Hitler-dubs for cuckposting.
user, you need to go back.

All of the flaws of Borderlands 2 but with gimmicks to pretend its faster or much different than it really is.
A 2014 game so bad and that nobody asked for that it lead to its development studio filing for bankrupcy after selling so badly that people thought Gearbox couldn't do it again until Battleborn happened.
Why are you discussing this shitty game?
At least discuss the first game which is a much better morsel.

Tbh Borderlands, even the first one, is an amazing concept executed in a very mediocre fashion. It's an amazing world with an amazing lore and amazing creatures and amazing personalities that you never really get to have any connection to or interactivity with whatsoever beyond shooting and pressing A to accept the quest or reward. It's like a hollywood set - really awesome looking, but as immersive as the painted facade that it is.

I don't know why they turned him from 'tour guide with cowardly intent' to 'LOL CLAPTRAPS ARE SOO ANNOYING AMIRITE?!'

claptrap was never good or funny. The essence of gearbox in a single character

I live in Philadelphia and despite the fact that it's many miles from where James lives I see him there every day on my way home from work.

Each day I have to pass through this really shitty area of the city to get home and each time I go through there I see James sitting on the side of the road surrounded by empty bottles of whiskey and beer outside of some shitty bar. A few times I've pulled up really slow next to him to see if he's alright, I only ever do this when he's covered in vomit or blood, a few times he's sworn at me, thrown his retarded kid at my car and lashed out at me.

However recently I pulled up whilst James was vomiting onto his down's syndrome kids' face and I noticed him mumbling something about "fucking monkey fucking cowa fucking piece dog shit wife of mine", I was confused about what he meant and left his child to drown in James' vomit.

A block or two away I see James' wife getting pounded by 5 black men in the fucking open surrounded by 20 or 30 people as they all laugh at a picture of James which one of the men has stuck his dick through, I see his wife take more semen than an aircraft carrier and throw up outside my car.

James then staggers along the road with his pants around his ankles, dragging his kid along the floor and slurring everything he says. He then decides to swing for his wife who dodges him like some kind of fucking Navy SEAL and flattens James with one punch, who lands flat on his kid and crushes its face.

After the nigger fucking crew have moved to another block for their fun, I get out the car and take James' phone out of his pocket. I manage to ring Mike who is saved as "Guy number 15 who fucks my wife", I will note that Mike was pretty high up this list too, I then call Mike who turns up half hour later and throws James and his unconscious child in the back of his pickup. Mike doesn't say a fucking word and I get to keep James' phone. As he drives off Mike just shouts "MINECRAP MINECRAP" over and over.

Because it's a bland filler spinoff that reused tons of content from Borderlands 2.

Surprisingly decent game, even with bullet sponges and annoying difficulty spikes. The writing doesn't take itself too seriously but it doesn't try too hard either like the later games do. It was so much better before the Cuckold King got involved.
Gameplay's okay, but the level design is pretty bloated and boring. Writing is awful compared to the first game.
Worst of both worlds. With the failure of Battleborn and Gearbox's reputation catching on to normalfags it gives me hope that they can let this sullied franchise sleep.

You forgot the Telltale Borderlands game tho

BL2 also fucked up the scaling big time, and the loot. For the Pre-sequel I'd say go for it since I found it fixed those slightly though mostly due to the fact you can roll up vendor trash into something you may want. It's amazing it took them till the third game to rip off the Horadric Cube from Diablo. The anti-grav is damn good at opening up movement, and it's fun to do John Woo shit. Also I'm sure it got patched but getting infinite shield in the last level for getting shot by the big flying monsters and being able to freely solo the Raid version of the final boss was great fun

It's not perfect, the beginning (till you do the "Spy on the Mayor" mission) it's clearly written by Burch going full cuck (the first person you meet on the moon may as well say "I fuck girls" on her splash screen, it'd save a few seconds). I think it's only due to me feeding weapons to the gambling machine like they were hearts to an Aztec god left me with loot I should have just had from exploring. Same with the enemies and the last area due to the glitch. I'm sure the drop rate and sponginess were still there, just mitigated by the gambling machine. Also it cranks up 2's story up to 10 in making Jack seem like the good guy, and everyone else worse I didn't think it was terribly boring but only managed one playthrough and getting a little bit into another immediately after.

Was BL1 liner? And theoretically there's nothing wrong with Exponential scaling, it's just they applied it to the enemies as well, which should be liner and scaled to low- mid quality gear. Then you have everything above utter trash as viable which really opens up choices. The game should skew towards the player. It's all fine and dandy to slap the word Badass on everything, but it's meaningless if it doesn't reflect that and are wasting time on mooks you should be chewing through.

I think the issue like so many other games is that it thinks EVERYONE is a walking refrigerator, when it should be left to the PC, and throwing a door or two onto high ranking mooks and bosses.

(Checked)
Claptrap works as service bots (emphasis on the plural) stuck on a shithole planet carrying out their programing to help, when most people respond with shooting. They made him annoying because in BL1 he did that as informing you there's missions to be done and I guess lazy faggots never went to pick them up. You don't even need to complete them to shut him up.

Because it's made by a bunch of numale hipster faggots.

I prefer to discuss bad games because I detest the people who make them and their fanboys. I also think you can learn a lot by analysing failure. Every time I read a thread like this I always see a new insight into why certain gameplay mechanics, marketing strategies or management styles didn't work. Many of the worst games were the result of SJW / numale developers which adds another layer of interest for me.

I forget Telltale in-general still exists. All because they caught lightning in a bottle with TWD Season 1 and TWAU to a lesser extent.

Was that one written by the Cuckmeister too?

It was made by a B-team that was on the chopping block.

Life is beautiful

What are some good alternatives for borderlands? I hate the progression, story, and loot rates in it, but I like the concept of blending diablo style gameplay with a shooter. Have any other games done this? If not, why is it untapped as a concept?

All the 3D Fallout games, EYE Divine Cybermancy and the Stalker series are all FPSRPGs

Shadow Warrior 2 was ok. But it gets kinda repetitive. The gem system in the game is not the best, but it beats the random drop system of Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel in terms of functionality and the player always has a usable, functional weapon. You can also adjust the bullet sponge level to your liking just by changing the difficulty.

I like BD1.5 more than 2
Mainly because the writing was 80% more bearable and the moon mechanics were more fun
although featuring only a moon and a space station, there's more variety on the scenario than BD1
The game is not boring, it's too short, with just a few bosses
still too pricey
you can feel where Anthony Burrch wrote stuff, because the dialogue falls apart immediately
Only Burch wrote Torgue
Fuck Gearbox, I hope they go bankrupt and someone else gets all their IPs
*Hopefully *Devolver Digital**

This is a terrible post. No one is going to believe it.

True, but I'm more referring to loot-based gameplay, with diablo-style level-up systems. Those are similar, but they all handle the loot systems differently. I think it's odd that there weren't any borderlands clones. For example, diablo has plenty of spiritual rips, like path of exile, torchlight, etc.
Those are good games though. Well, not 3d fallout, but still

That looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for, but without the loot system to any great effect. Though, definitely something I would play. Thank you for the recommendation.

But I'm not lying
BD1.5 didn't make me cringe as much as BD2
Also the music is marginally better
BD1 is still better than both combined

I think it's because for as big as Borderlands is, Diablo is way bigger, so they all want to ape Diablo and it's fantasy and swords. And New Vegas is good if buggy as hell

I think he's talking about posting in all spoilers I agree that BL1.5 is better then 2 and that 1 is better then all of them (which is sad). It's blessing and a curse that BL1 didn't get a touch up like 2 and Pre. It's not even that it's set in a desert, it's just the color choice is poor and doesn't have enough zesting resulting in it looking bland. But on the other hand they'd probably have thrown the game onto 2 and Pre's engine and fucked up what made BL1 good outside of not being written by Cuck. I always love the music they have in BL