What vidya does hacking well? SRR and Deus Ex had these fun minigames but that's not really it

What vidya does hacking well? SRR and Deus Ex had these fun minigames but that's not really it.

And then you're also referring to Human Revolution, which had one of the worst minigames I've had to endure.

Not Uplink. Not Hacknet. Not HackMUD. Not TIS-100. Not Mu Complex. Not Hacker Evolution.

He can't actually be referring to Console Deus Ex, right? Surely he's just talking about that neato concept of working with passwords and having time limits on what you can do with your ICE breakers.

I was thinking more along the lines of hacking a turret in the original and it culturally enriching it's former allies. The effect is fun, it's just that the cause is meh.

I know it's closer to the TT, but I liked Matrix in HK even less than in SR and DF.
First and foremost, it made success dependant on player reaction in a generally turn-based game. I wouldn't mind if it was character reaction.
Second, what is with this time limit hardon everyone seems to have? Were it the shitty Hollywood movies that popularised this idea?
Third, the thing with numbers is just lazy. It's not fun, it's unoriginal and it gets really, really tedious after about tenth time.

You shouldn't have mentioned minigames in relation to original Deus Ex then.
Overall I'd have to agree with the other guy: SRHK is the best you're going to get in terms of complexity that's not there just for the sake of it.

To be fair if I had better examples I would've used them. And are you seriously telling me that from all those games including "dedicated" indie shit the best vidya hacking out there amounts to simon says?

You have Android Netrunner, but it's more a TT emulation than a video game.

Enter the Matrix (or maybe it was Path of Neo, whatever) had a pretty cool hacking mini-game for unlocking cheats. There was some authenticity there as it was all dos prompts. Still nothing too mind bending.

Fallout 4 did it pretty well

I liked the ratchet and clank hacking minigames. If you want something realistic, I don't think it exists.

It was Enter the Matrix. Hacking to unlock a fucking sword, Matrix had a shitton of potential. What the fuck happened?

They had to rush the game out to meet the release date of Matrix Reloaded

New Vegas, as for everything based Obsidian made everything better about shitout 3/4

The Sly Cooper series.

for realistic you can do ctf

Fallout 1

e.y.e :^)

Enter the Matrix.

Why not?

Isn't real life hacking usually about making a convincing call to a place and asking some poor dumbshit to give his password, or getting someone to install malware without them realizing?

01111001 01100101 01110011

I wish I knew how to into binary/hex/assembly

01111100 00100000 01111100 01111100 00100000 01111100 01111100 00100000 01111100 01011111

It was rushed ya. It was still fun. Path of Neo was much more of an RPG, and breddy gud.

That's phishing. Hacking is closer to convincing a system you're somebody with access to it's innards or looking for loopholes in the code. Bruting your way with decryption is said to be a fool's errand these days since you'd need quantum computers to crack it within a human lifetime.