Doom/Classic FPS - Turok To

Motherfucking Doom thread, Turok news for anyone curious about wanting to try 3D modding without fucking GZDoom and it's bullshit PC requirements. A simple map in embed as an example.

Turok is now Doom because the guys doing the port decided to use Doom64 EX as the base code for their engine Kex 2. The level editor is practically complete even though it's missing some key features and what is there is so comprehensive that the only problem is porting over animations and creating new enemies. The only intentional limitation that was carried over is where the physics are clamped (the MAX_WORLD_DIST), which is at 20480 units, or 2000*GAME_SCALE (10.24f). If an object exceeds this it'll be destroyed. Otherwise it uses an entirely new engine so none of the memory limitations of the N64 was carried over that I didn't mention.
Details of Kex 2 origins: archive.is/Bp708

Level Editor Update on key issues with the editor to anyone who decides to actually buy the Steam version:
-You must place the Navigation meshes manually it is not automatic.
-Get used to the controls.
-No undo/redo buttons.
-Multiple enemy types causes weird lag issues, and the even though it's not an emulator the AI is very taxing so keeping active AI count in an area low is recommended.
-No GoG release of the level editor, you don't need the editor to play maps though you can download and play with either version. Once the full editor is released and cracked paying 20 fucking bucks for this will no longer be necessary.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/pfLRu
doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/61419-programming-project-turokex/
quakewiki.org/wiki/Getting_Started_Mapping
forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=4702
mega.nz/#!M10C0SxB!H8387-Ky7XPSDm3fangLm3fjXxUNUUKp_DuYGQnAG2k
ika.itch.io/redsky
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=hellcore.pk3
mediafire.com/file/779qiegvn9u789w/ALIENS_The_Ultimate_Doom_Beta_9.2.pk3
youtube.com/watch?v=4L8aM12powo
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dtinv3c.pk3
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dtinv3-m.pk3
youtube.com/watch?v=QzY7s7Zv7VA
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=combined_arms_v1.0.pk3
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=888943
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=armed-veteran-mp.pk3
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=958186
doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/65955-going-down-bug-fix-update-22-08-15/
volafile.io/get/EznbAkLuo8um/TrumpDoom.wad
volafile.io/get/EzmCszz-T69w/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3
volafile.io/r/9ufj2r80
moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64/news/updated-to-version-20
devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/
volafile.io/get/Fs1Ggti4QdM5/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3
volafile.io/get/Fsw2o0Ct7-Uy/TrumpDoom.wad
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53010
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/addons-mods/doom-64-pc-port/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice. Add that to the list alongside Dying Light and Shadwen.

How do you guys define "classic" FPS? A certain year, or general gameplay style?

I ask because a friend of mine insists that the first Halo game counts because in terms of general feel, level design, and gameplay, he argues it has more in common with 90's FPS's then 2000's and modern stuff, and aside from the two weapon limit, I can't really find any counterpoints in that regard.

Regenerating health/shields?

The weird thing from what I've read the editor doesn't really need Steam to work. You don't even need the workshop to play maps since the engine itself can read the maps just fine.

Shit, I'm conflicted. It actually looks kinda fun despite the furfaggotry, and at least the choice to play as a dragon isn't purely a pallet swap since they add new abilities such as a triple jump and the ability to breathe fire.

That's pretty metal, not furfaggotry.

It's pure furfaggotry you dummm fuck

Most of the time when people talk about a "classic" FPS they are talking about the game-play, and they're usually only talking about the good ones (the bad ones don't become classics). Here are a list of things that old FPS's have that are generally considered good ideas.
>Enemy placement over enemy spawns. When you go into a level you've played before you know where the enemies are going to be. If the game does use enemy spawns the enemy spawns aren't random.
These aren't 100% but they do offer a good starting point. Also if anyone else has anything to add to/take out of this list I would appreciate it.

checked

I'd say the core features of a classic fps are:

I think Halo was the transition from classic to modern FPS, whereas Half-Life just about scrapes in as a classic fps.

I think these are surface level things, and aren't actually the core fundamentals that define the "feel" of the game. I think those work more in terms or deinfing what an "arena shooter" is (and even then I would argue that the weapon limit isn't really critical, though it is a factor, and health regen vs health pickups isn;t important so much as having some sort of pickups), not so much the general classic/modern divide in shooter design touches on what I feel the actual distinctions are a bit more but even then not entirely

I haven't slept in a while so i',m going to bed now but if I can be assed to when I wake up i'll try to clarify. It's also worth noting that my perspective is that mostly of somebody who is familiar with the UT and Halo franchises more then anything else, I did play other older shooters but not nearly as much, though i'd like to change that

Are you for real right now? And are you sure it's your 'friend' that thinks Halo has more in common with Doom (lol) than Call of Duty? Because you seem to already know the answer to what makes a classic fps enough to dismiss other people's posts on the subject. This despite the fact you admit you have little experience with these games. Also, did the fact that a lot of these games seem to share the same traits not clue you in that maybe some of these 'surface level' elements are important to how these games play? And do you really believe that adding regenerating health and making maps far less complex wouldn't completely change how Doom plays at all? That it would pretty much be like changing a setting in the graphics menu?

what did he mean by this

Probably the thread to ask, but how is Quake on the Vita?

Blood source finally released when?

so you dont play stuft just because of furfags?

I guess you dont play pokemans

Let's be fair, SgtMarkIV is only the best modder of all time and the saviour of Doom. Why you faggots won't acknowledge that is really beyond me.

Turok was totally forgettable. Is it a new meme to pretend it was good?

SgtMarkIV pls go

>>>/cuckchan/

see

it's readily available for anyone to play, those whom play it and like it talk about it, it's not hard to understand. And those who want to mod 3D games with the ease of zdoom like me want the editor.

I think it just became a meme here. There is no reason to play that game again.

archive.is/pfLRu

Anons play it, they like it, they discuss it. Your rather poor understanding on what a meme is be damned.

Fuckoff back to >>>/cuckchan/ where you belong.

But it's a nice meme, along with EYE, Thinkpads and drinking water.
Personally I'm waiting for them to remake Turok 2. I'd buy it full price to support them if they did that. Hopefully they can work their way to Evolution, so I can use that glorious rocket launcher in online multiplayer.

Don't give me hope
I do not wish to be dissapointed

When are we organizing a doom game night?

old-school shooters relied more on enemy placement and level layout in order to make up for their simplistic AI behavior, it's why I believe Doom getting criticized for 'simple' AI is a moot one, too many people use AI as an argument without considering the ramifications different AI could have on the gameplay itself
a shotgun zombie on his own isn't much of a threat, but when he's placed at X interspersed with Y enemies in a Z kind of room you have your challenge cut out for you
Serious Sam does this by massively increasing the enemy numbers and enemy composition in groups (which enemies are used) to the point where obstacles and level layout play a lesser role because it's not as possible to handle such a large amount of enemies in smaller spaces

the increasing complexity of AIs over time also led to fights against enemies being a challenge of their own rather than the challenge resulting from a multitude of variables such as enemy count and level layout (although they can still play a large role to some degree), like in Unreal Gold where the enemies you usually fought almost functioned like multiplayer bots, who possess degrees of skill the player can have too, like dodging attacks and leading shots, however level layout played a lesser role for combat in comparison to other contemporary shooters

alternatively, 'good' AI can result from a need for better pathfinding, such as in Descent or F.E.A.R, where enemies had to be able to move in full 3D space much like the player could in Descent on top of giving each enemy type unique behavior, and enemies in F.E.A.R had to be able to use the environment and the ability to flank much like the player can do the same against the enemies

by now you should have noticed that one element which many games acclaimed for their enemy AIs have is the ability for enemies to be on an equal ground with the player in terms of skills, they should be able to play the game much like how you can, same shit goes for real-time strategy games, fightans and multiplayer bots

older shooters would rely on numbers and placements for challenges, but the advent of better AI makes fighting one enemy with good AI already challenging, whereas the effects of AI on individual units become less noticeable the higher the enemy count gets (how would people even propose better AI for Serious Sam? what is a headless kamikaze or Kleer supposed to do but run at you and kill you up close?), unless we're talking herd AI which in turn makes enemy types less relevant due to them no longer be as predictable and constantly breaking established rules as opposed to F.E.A.Rs unpredictable clone soldiers

one example of outright inept AI would be DOOM 2016, where the player can use vertical geometry to his advantage and outrun enemies, whereas the enemies are wholly uncapable of using vertical platforms to the same extent the player can, resulting in vertical platforms being more of a safe zone for the player as the enemies can only play catch-up (another bad way of going about vertical space is what Shadow Warrior 2 did, where EVERY enemy can jump up any ledge and vertical space in order to catch up with you, turning vertical space in combat to an irrelevance rather than an asymmetrical advantage)
on top of that, the enemies are not particularly challenging to fight on their own as they cannot dodge or utilize geometry to the same extent you can, and with no level layout and enemy placement to make up for it, resulting in boring samey encounters
defense in nuDOOM also largely comes down to circlestrafing, if you're circlestrafing and jumping about you have practically reached the skill ceiling when it comes to avoiding damage in nuDoom whereas enemies in games like Descent 2 would actually lead their shots on higher difficulties, forcing you to move erratically rather than methodically (something not always easy to do given the tight amount of space in Descent levels!)

in short, I believe levels were as complex as they were in older shooters in order to make up for simple AI, as otherwise fighting a bunch of simple enemies on flat maps like in Wolfenstein 3D wasn't all that fun
newer games tend to take the Serious Sam route by compensating for level complexity with enemy amounts (rather badly when it comes to enemy composition, if I might add), as games with outstanding AI and levels to take advantage of that are a rarity due to the time and effort it costs

The thing that was cool is that there were badguy types. That's better than good AI. You're totally right. They don't need to flank me and shit like that or run for cover. FPS are best when you enter a room and it's like
Since that guy does this, I should kill him first because the guy that does that isn't as big of a threat. There is a really fancy name for this but I forgot.

enemy prioritization?

Prioritizing enemies?
You might like embed related, it goes on about that

Instead we got Serious Sam VR which is surprisingly pretty good

What the hell is this prioritizing enemies?
Every oldfag such has myself knows that Doom is all about rip and tear and 90s edginess with oldschool shooting such as locked arenas.

Good AI are pretty bland anyways, you can see this in GalCiv where even at their best the AI is "okay" and brings a standard vanilla flavor but that's really all it is capable of. Stupid and simple AI like FEAR soldiers on the other bring about unpredictable results purely because they're stupid and don't plan ahead and the maps are designed with this in mind.

See

You found it. This is the video where I found out about the term.
ORTHOGONAL UNIT DIFFERENTIATION
Destiny is a modern game that did this really well. It involves the dance, the orthogonal unit differentiation, etc. That's probably why I can play it so much and not get bored even though it's very repetitive. Every guy has a "thing" he does and you need to prioritize.

The vola/share thread usually organizes deathmatches and coop runs every day whenever they're not complaining about furfags ruining everything. You could ask in there.

Destiny

Then where's the source code?

Never. Kaiser's working on a source port last I heard, though.

Here you go: doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/61419-programming-project-turokex/

Night Dive Studios isn't going to release a source code for Kex 2 though, it's doom primarily because they're using a combination of Doom64 EX renderer code base and a branch of Chocolate Strife. And the guy who made the engine made the editor to handle like BooM, ZDooM, Gzdoom, 3dDoo.

Hey you wanted the latest available source code there you go, kaiser is a dev for Night Dive Studios now. Turok itself has an older PC port which was made with the unreal engine.

Christ

This video is an interesting take on how Doom's enemies function, but a poor attempt at explaining Doom as a whole. Declaring that Doom's enemy design is its key feature is astonishingly ignorant since without proper level design it would simply be a circlestrafe fest. Video games are a product of a whole coming together to complement each other, not some singular trait. Not only is enemy design not the whole of Doom, it's not even the whole of the combat experience. Weapon variety, weapon feedback, player movespeed, and level design are, to name a few, all a necessary part of the whole that makes up combat.

I'm too lazy to make a gigantic post, but there's two things I'd like people to walk away with. One being that level design isn't just simply a question of linear vs non linear, but an essential part of the combat experience that can actually make fights with the exact same enemies feel like a unique experience (level design can change how you prioritize enemies). The other thing would be that there are other shooters out there that have similar enemy design philosophies (Serious Sam), yet don't feel like Doom. This is because they lack many of elements of Doom as a whole that make it what it is.

I rarely hear people talk about Unreal in these threads or on Holla Forums in general (aside from going on about the game's AI), and what little video footage I've seen doesn't look much like Doom or Quake. Is it worth playing?

UT99 and UT2K4 are some of the best arena shooters ever made

Unreal has great music, large well-designed levels and challenging AI. It is a superb game worth playing.

For the little i've played of it, it is superb. It's long, like HexeN Deathking Citadel-tier long, but it never bores you to trek through any of it.
It actually feels like a deadly yet interesting world to explore than a set of levels outside of the loading screens. The weapon variety and their uniqueness is also something other games have yet to equal, not even the UT sequels have managed to grasp their feedback/feel, except maybe UT2k4. The level design is as gigantic as it is good and despite 60% of the music being ambience compared to the Demo verion, it still has some great tracks like The Sunspire or Nightvision (video related for the latter). Enemies could be either annnoying or a death sentence if took the wrong way from how the AI reacts depending the difficulty level and your actions, fighting Skaarjs feels like fighting against bots in an arena game which is impresive for the time (although i think Descent 2 still did it better) as they know how to dodge projectiles and lead shots.

I wouldn't recommend the expansion though, it was a let down compared to the main game itself since the weapons aren't as good and the leveldesign took a huge hit in quality as well. Still better than the clusterfuck that was Unreal 2.

I'm wanting to try getting into mapping for Doom and Quake, does anyone have any good tutorials or tips, or is it something I just need to fling myself into?

quakewiki.org/wiki/Getting_Started_Mapping
forums.zdaemon.org/viewtopic.php?t=4702

Getting Quake and Doom is simple enough on it's own I hope I don't have to give you a download.

It's definitely worth a try. However by the middle everything started to feel so gigantic and damn empty.

What's funny is that when I did Unreal playthrough on Unreal difficulty Automag proved to be a very useful weapon for everything that likes to roll away from projectiles.
There's also a thing that enemies won't bother dodging projectiles from new guns which turns encounters into a joke. Excluding that ambush with teleporting rocket launcher wielding guys when you explore crashed spaceship. I had to play fucking peek-a-boo with them.

That mechanic actually works fine in Halo 1 because A: it makes sense for the character in a powered armor suit to have a shield, B: some enemies get them too, and C: it is a balanced gameplay feature (on hardest at least). It's only good enough for negating stray hits, beyond that you start losing your real life bar quickly and that does not regenerate without a medkit.

Sadly they screwed that up in Halo 2 where it behaves like modern shooter health.

Can't be as bad of a joke as the Strike Team enemy in ROTT that tries dodging but never manages to.

Was the stinger gun of any use? I never used that since even basic bitches like kralls dodges away from them.

This one is pretty fun. Has lot of amusing little details hidden around.

I didn't like that weapon much. It has moderate rate of fire but projectiles are slow. Usually I'd use it when dealing with crowds of small enemies that don't dodge shit anyway like picrelated, in tight corridors or alt fire Skaarj's in the face at very-very close range like a shotgun. Basically it was my go-to weapon if I wanted to conserve ammo for valuable weapons.

Actually, now I'm replaying Unreal again and I find myself using Stinger just as much as I would use shotgun in Doom. Leading shots really helps versus Skaarj's.

You know I'm right, without Based SgtMarkIV, people would only care about fucking half life and garry's mod and shit
Acknowledging SgtMarkIV as the Doom messiah is the first step towards making Holla Forums great again
prove me wrong fuckface protip you cant

Go to bed SgtMark.

I have a question, are the expansions in the Duke Nukem Megaton Edition worth it? I'm mainly stuck playing World Tour since the other versions were pulled from digital distribution, granted I'm having fun playing Duke 3D.

Also, what are some good 3D FPS games? I'm still having more fun with DOOM compared to something like Quake and I cant put my finger on why.

That is not an argument user, why on Earth would you hate the second coming of Christ, also known as SgtMarkIV, who probably did more for Doom than the circlejerking faggots calling themselves the (((Doom Community)))

The Doom community has done work on tons of mods for the better part of two decades. Brutal Doom is just an overrated mod that got popular through Youtube. It aint bad and theres fun to be had but people hype it up too much.

This. It's just a mod that tries to be edgy. I'm more amazed that it took someone this long to actually do the idea because I'm sure there are many edgy teens who have come up with this idea before Mark, myself included.

Quake is slow, uninspired, and just generally not interesting. Quake 2 is a bit more fun IMO.

How does Q2 compare to Q1? Because with Q1 it seems like something I would love, I like the level design, but the weapons just feel really weak. It just doesnt feel satisfying compared to games like Doom, Duke 3D, or especially Blood.

Getting back on topic to Brutal Doom it seems like it could have been fun but it feels almost obnoxious at times compared to other things like Grezzo 2 or even something deliberately stupid like nuts.wad, not much going for it and I still dont get its popularity.

Brutal Doom reaches a level of popularity that tons of modders could never hope to achieve in their lifetime, and is solely responsible for bringing in tons of new blood at the time. To this day the biggest numale cucks who mod Doom seethe with loathing and resentment towards him because their mods didn't get that popular. This is also why you should take any and all complaints against SgtMarkIV with a grain of salt.

Whatever you say Mark.

I can understand why some modders wouldn't be too happy with Brutal Doom. With it's popularity came loads of kids who demand that every mod be compatible with it. Some modders deliberately made stuff to fuck over anyone who tried running BD with their mods, because kids were complaining that they wouldn't work with BD. See Demonsteele.
It's an alright mod, it's just got a shit fanbase.

Go to the doom general on 4chan, praise SgtMarkIV, watch the butthurt fly.

I thought other modders hated Brutal Doom because it apparently stole some stuff from modders.
I actually don't know much about SgtMarkIV but that's what I've heard around

Brutal Doom has a credits page, the oldest I can find also has a credits page it just didn't specifically point out exactly which piece of each mod came from a specific modder. It's popularity is why that scandal happened cause modders got butthurt SgtMarkIV was getting the recognition they wanted if Brutal Doom wasn't as popular as it was then it wouldn't have been much of an issue and nobody would care, mark being an asshole was just an excuse.

Anyone got a torrent? I havent played it in centuries but I can still remember the moment of coming out of the spooky ship and taking in the scenery.

Apparently he was known on Doom forums for being nasty. He told a guy to commit suicide over something. He already didn't have the best reputation, and his mod flooding the community with newfags gives the rest of the community another reason to dislike him.

Furries have poisoned your mind user, not everything anthropomorphic is automatically some furfaggot's wet dream. And I sincerely doubt pillowblaster is one to begin with.

Though be warned, all of his mods have absolute dogshit balancing, and although I think it's intentional, you'll quickly get bored of them once the novelty wears off due to you steamrolling everything without any kind of challenge.

I don't have a torrent for you, but I do have this MEGA link if you're interested. It's Unreal Gold so the DLC is included.
mega.nz/#!M10C0SxB!H8387-Ky7XPSDm3fangLm3fjXxUNUUKp_DuYGQnAG2k

Go back

The editor's coming to GOG; the games on GOG are always a version behind is all.

I think this belongs here- I just finished working on my "Classic FPS" game in /agdg/ and I wanted to share it.

It runs on its own engine, so it'll play a little different from other Classic shooters. Embed is the trailer, and you can download it here:
ika.itch.io/redsky

I hope you guys like it. Its got 16 levels, and takes about two hours to beat.

Oh shit I think I saw your work here a while ago.

I never posted it in doom threads, although maybe I should have. This game has been worked on for a while, so there is some random stuff posted about it over the last year.

Oh wow, you posted a thread and everyone was calling you a spergout faggot for some reason. Dunno what the deal is with that.

Its only one guy, you can see all of those posts have the same ID. I don't know why he's doing it either, I really didn't expect it at all.

It's really bad

:(

Anyone wanna play some Doom?

OH NO SOMEONE MADE AN EDGY JOKE
ON THE DOOM FORUMS
WHATEVER SHALL WE DO
Oh yeah, ban him because the (((Doom Community))) are apparently a band of easily offended, touchy pussies.

You have that for every game.

I guess so, maybe on my next game release i'll expect it.

In a little bit, sure. What wad do you want to play?

These days, that's pretty much any internet community outside of imageboards and forums like RPGCodex user.

Are you lads sure timelines are way too far appart to get anything going? I could host a server but we have to get to a conseus here if anyone even wants to play.

I mean I'm down, sure.

Yeah but what are you down for? I'll host a Zandybamby 2.1.2 server but i'm not sure if COOP or Deathmatch would be preferable, or if pure vanilla (as close as the port can get to be) or mods are a-okay.

I haven't seen any co-op recently, what would we play?

Same modder is making another one like that.

I haven't seen much love for HellCore lately.
I'll be hosting a vanilla server running that at 45.58.113.226:10730 with hostname: "Holla Forumsideo games". Wad can be found here: allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=hellcore.pk3

The server is technically dedicated, will stay up for a few days if anyone wants to join at any time, remember to bump the thread if you want anyone else to play with. Suggestions can be made on what you want me to host instead of this.

I'm USA west.

Cool, I'm free now if anyone is around

It's currently 1:20 am here, but sure, if you're still there i can play for a while.

This is a dumb question, but how do I join your server? I've never used zandorum before and the in client 'multiplayer' tab doesn't seem to have an option for just typing in ip/port

I'll give it a try later.

Zandronum comes with a certain thing called Doomseeker, this is a server browser for zandronum and other sourceports that you can use. Simply run it, se up the paths for zandronum and your wads and refresh the server list. The list has a search feature at the top right, you can look up the server's name or IP adress there. Doomseeker also has a feature to let you download wads you don't have from a server that needs them, so don't worry about not having the wads, it'll download them.

Okay thanks. I'm going to bed because it's 3am now but I'll get in later

Guess I'll start with Slade since it's already installed, although Quake mapping looks more interesting due to having greater freedom with map geometry.

What did they mean by this?

Holy fuck the atmosphere in this level was stellar

Can anyone post the Doom Thread sticky picture? I need some .wads to play.

Thanks.

Just polish his knob why don't you? Good lord, what a display of rampant faggotry. Sage

What?

I modified the Aliens The Ultimate Doom mod.

Plus some other stuff I forgot. Here is the file:

mediafire.com/file/779qiegvn9u789w/ALIENS_The_Ultimate_Doom_Beta_9.2.pk3

Okay, first off right now, what the fuck is up with the game going in full screen like that? It went full screen and was at a resolution bigger then my monitor, I had to set it to windowed mode and turn down the resolution in the options menu. Fix that, will post more when I'm done playing.

Despite the fact it's very clearly stated what it's capacity is in the lore. That makes as much sense as alien's acid blood not hurting you.

Okay user, if you're still here and reading this, this is my first impression of the first level of the game Red Sky.

Text is very big, plain, and doesn't catch my interest my eyes just roll off the page. Menu and story text snippets needs more polish. Test just tells me things and reads like what you'd read in a summary of the game, should be changed to be more immerssive instead or don't even bother with a story. You could use some more polish in the UI and menu department that's for sure.
Enemy placement and the map of the first level is bad, I'm just running around circle strafing and holding the fire button. No auto-reload is annoying. The enemies all fealt like bullet sponges with no differences between them, my weapons sound and felt like they had no punch to speak of. The first level is spacious and huge no traps no trolling no nothing just a big series of hallways and squares, the floor felt like it was made of ice which ironically made the sudden stop when jumping strained my suspension of disbelief there.
Personally I think you should work on making Doom wads and sharing your maps around first since this is basically a Doom clone, and Quake maps too. Once you get the hang of that then you should make your own game engine.

I was waiting for you to repost this, thanks user.

I also clipped through a wall and fell through the world in the second room of the game. Not to mention there isn't nearly enough ammo.

I know, but it makes more sense for a caseless rifle to have 50-60 bullets in the magazine than 95, and you can change it back easily anyway.

Just be careful with those orange runner aliens, they like to jump around when you shoot at them which makes hitting them very difficult, and they can close the distance very fast by either running or lunging at you. Sometimes they're harder than the fucking praetorians.

I was able to join but not through the server browser. I had to go to options ā†’ configure ā†’ custom servers and type in to info to get it to show up.

*Type in the info

If you were a localizer you would be Treehouse.

The two go-to defence lines of fags who fuck canon or general feel of a setting up: a) "it's sounds cool so whatevs"; b) "you just want X to stay the same forever, no one is obliged to cater to you one of the original fans who allowed X to rise from obscurity, things must change to keep everything fresh etc., etc."

That's weird, it's just simply not broadcasting to the master server list? I can see the server just fine here, i'll check if something's not set up correctly. Although, i've had zand randoms join in the server just fine from the list and i know they weren't from the thread from the way they speak.

are you fuckers implying changing the rifle magazine from 95 to 60 is a heresy?
besides I don't have to justify some change I did to some mod and like I said, it is easy to reverse.

There's a certain Colonial Marines-styled recreation of AliensVPredator on SS13 where marines have retarded small magazines (iirc 30-round mags) and they explain it's for "balance" while their xenos can decapitate people in a few hits, which they explain it's "lore friendly". Pretty much what you'd find in a liberal trying to argue two different topics at the same time and ending up with contradictions on both points.

Eitherway, the point is why change one thing but neuter the other when you could go full ham either full balance or full lore-friendly? Be consize about the changes, rather than attempting to cater to both.

Ding-ding-ding.

I made these changes little by little by playing the game and noticing what worked and what didn't and 95 boollet magazines didn't work like I wanted to. That's the extent of it really, and you're acting like children about it. I never even argued about lore or about balance.
I made these changes for my own enjoyment and posted here because I figured someone who didn't have the time to make them themselves could appreciate them.
All of them are easy to reverse. It's just a matter of opening a txt file and changing some values.

So what is better ZDoom or GZDoom?

Gzdoom is just Zdoom with support for OpenGL.
Gzdoom used to be shit for co-op but apparently it has been fixed now. I played co-op a lot of times in the new version and not once have I got the"out of synch" error.

Do you have a modern-era GPU that supports OpenGL 3.0 and foward? GZDoom maybe will work on you without crashing or fucking your entire video display. You'll need the latest nVidia drivers if you don't want errors with it, it isn't optimized for AMD hardware for some reason.
ZDoom will work on any other machine. Some mods are advertized to be made only for GZDoom, but also work on ZDoom just fine outside of those that require dynamic lights or view titling.

Only disadvantage ZDoom has over GZDoom in vanilla is that you can't view directly up or down due to using hacked-in Heretic freelook code.

On a R7 360.

prboom+

You guys still playing coop?

No one is on the server right now but if you want to play the info is at . I'll be on the server for a while now.

I really don't see how Quake is slower than Doom, aside from the base movement speed. Even then, it's much faster if you take bunny hopping and rocket jumping into account.

I'm gonna go join up now since I'm free

I'm confused. I hit join and it just opens another server browser window. What am I doing wrong?

Looks pretty neat aside from the framerate it seems like a-

FUCKING CUCK PROPAGANDA TAKE YOUR SHIT BACK TO Holla Forums YOU FUCKING (((KIKE))). LITERALLY NO DIFFERENT THEN FUCKING TODD HOWARD KILL YOURSELF.

Another server browser window? All you have to do is double click the server in Doomseeker and it boots up Zandronum. Did you set everything up in the options properly?

are you for real? I cant tell anymore

I figured it out. I was just playing. Im going to take a short break then come back

I actually like Quake more than Doom, but it is slower. The move speed is fairly obviously slower and enemies are meatier than in Doom, often being dangerous by themselves, and particularly at close range. For example if you compare the Fiend and the Pinky, which fill roughly the same roles in each game, the Fiend is significantly faster and more dangerous than a Pinky, and takes longer to kill. Doom's enemies were mostly dumb hordes, with a few tough enemies like Revenants, Knights and Barons thrown in to spice things up. In comparison by the later levels of Quake you see little to no chaff, with the most common enemies generally being Fiends, Ogres and Death Knights.

For anyone still interested, the server at is still going strong at 7 players, we are almost done with the mapset and i need a new wad to host. If anyone wants to play, the info is on the previously linked post; or if wants to make a suggestion on what to host, just reply.

And you are still failing to understand why you're being like Treehouse. The magazine for the Pulse Rifle is not 30. It is 95. This is a fact in the Aliens universe, like how Aliens have extremely acidic blood. You claim you got the alien's bloody working properly-which is good, because it should work the way you've done it-and then in the same breath pissed all over the lore and canon of the Colonial Marine's standard issue rifle because, and I quote: "it makes more sense for a caseless rifle to have 50-60 bullets in the magazine than 95"
Whether or not it makes sense is irrelevant. It is 95.

Interesting note, the AI in F.E.A.R actually did not know how to flank the player, it just always ended up happening because of how good the path finding was. Apparently it counted its own allies as obstacles or something so it would go another way.

I love how we try to mimic organic movements and thought processes with a skeleton bare bones frame that keeps everything moving mechanically. An unintended action happened due to coder error, but at the same time it benefits them. Think of how ridiculous, but insanely manipulating it is for works around. id tech 1 had many limitations within the universe it had created and so did the build engine.

prove there are dragon dildos in Guncaster you self-projecting faggot

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS HAPPENING

Neato but isn't there a new Turok 1 engine? it's probably much better and far more modern as well in spite of being based off of a Doom source port.

Have NightDive released the sourceport?
No?
Then heres the OG

Wasn't it based off of Ginu software? you just need to ask them and they have to give you the current publicly available source code for it.

Multi user, you still hosting? What are we playing tonight?

It's a moot point now, since ZDoom will no longer be updated. Get GZDoom or QZDoom.

meant to reply to

no one fucking cares you raging autist

The server should still be up but i had to go before the rotation ended. No idea on what to host tonight, any suggestions? Deathmatch, Coop or maybe a custom gamemode?

You fight demons, cyborg demons, and zombies

You fight mercenaries, dinosaurs, undead, subterranean monsters, giant monsters, ayyliums, demons, mutants, interdimensional horrors, cryptids, cybernetic versions of all of the above, mutant versions of all the above, and monkeys.

Conventional weapons plus a few scifi weapons; e.g. rockets, lasers, and BFG

Conventional plus scifi, underwater, magical, living, and nuclear; e.g. Tek Bow (magic) flamethrower, shotgun that transmutes shell type into bouncing lasers, vampire gun, portable mini-nuke, PSG (black hole gun), and chronosceptor (scepter-like gun that fires a tear through space and time)

How can DOOMguy even compete?

custom gamemode maybe, what are the options?

CTF, Invasion or maybe Skullbag?

wuts skullbag?

Team deathmatch-like gamemode where you get points by collecting coins from dead enemies and depositing them by reaching the enemy base's goal area. If you get killed you also drop all your coins plus a multiplier meaning that if you rack up a ton of coins and then get rekt the enemy could get loads of dosh and fuck you over.

Meh, lets do invasion.

How do you lads feel about Brutal Doom?

This is bait

Hey, sorry I didn't reply to you sooner.

The best maps in my game were made by my friend, you're right that my level design kinda sucks. This is partly because I haven't made a ton of game maps, and partly because the map editor which I wrote myself is terrible to use, amplifying the bad job I didā€¦ I will try harder with my maps next time, I know im just making excuses for a bad job.

I'm an engine developer firstly, so I'm hoping that if I make a good enough engine and project next time around, more talented mappers might be interested in it, since its not something i'm great at. I love writing engines a bit more than I like mapping, although I like both, so i'm hoping for some kind of middle ground like that.

Its too bad that it left a bad impression on you, I noticed people who had lower standards tended to like it, but people with higher standards could just point out that almost anything else that is acclaimed within the doom community is better. The later levels I think are more fun, since its not trying to ease you into it, but I guess they don't count for much if the earlier levels didn't hold your attention.

If you watch my play-through of the game, you can see how I was playing it, I never had issues with the ammo supply on my end, but I noticed people seem to run out a lot and then respond to me about that. youtube.com/watch?v=4L8aM12powo

Maybe people don't like to explore for all the ammo pickups? I hid most of them in odd places.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sever's up

IP: 45.58.113.226:10766. Hostname: "Holla Forumsideo Games plays Delta Invasion"
Running: Alpha/Delta invasion: Dtinv3c.pk3 allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dtinv3c.pk3 and Dtinv3-m.pk3 allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dtinv3-m.pk3
Gamemode: Survival Invasion, 3 lives per player.

you forgot the gun that liquifies your enemies brains

It's not, I just want to know what people feel about it. I'm not a fan due to obnoxious effects.

My standards is formed from playing a lot of amateur work. The beginning maps fall right into the "big plain empty rooms and hallways" category. All I'm saying is your mapping skills need work, and using an existing engine like Quake or Doom with ample critics will give opportunities to improve. And if you want to build a tech engine for others to use you're going to have to do more upfront with the engine's features in the levels since you need to show off the tech and what it can do. For example each level should be filled up to the ass in one specific physics feature.
For the ammo problem this is because you know exactly what to do the only solution is primarily to have enmies drop ammo or change damage variables or health variables or the enemy count and placement, if you want players to explore the map that primarily relies on adding some more decals and doodads to the map to spice it up otherwise the incentive to explore is very very low since it's otherwise barren.

Yeah that's true, the engine doesn't even have decals! Maybe I posted way too much as a response. I'll keep everything in mind.

Plenty a question about brutal doom are made for reactions, because most critisism for these are handwaved back by Sgt. Mark as being part of "the jelly train".

It's a subject due to mini(chain)guns being a shit compared to pistol/rifle, shotgun being better than supershotgun in almost every way, fatalities being a glorified way to get free invuln for the rest of the level by exploiting them and the x5 headshot damage mechanic allowing you to kill a cyberdemon in 7(8?) rockets. None of these have been adressed since BD v16 and are still present in bd v20 (Or is it 21 now? Who gives a shit he barely changes anything anyway).
I don't even have to mention the awful BD community to tell you why other mods are better even for the role of "baby's first doom mod", but if you want to see ZDoom forums rage, ask for compatibility of any mod with BD.

I googled "Brutal doom sucks" to see some opinions about it, and I saw people be angry about so many people asking for BD compatibility.
I kinda like Beautiful Doom, I think it's an alright gameplay mod and isn't as sacreligious as BD. It adds dual wielding for pistols, one barrel fire for super shotgun and super fast altfire for chaingun that chews through ammo but is really low accuracy.

I WONDER WHO COULD BE BEHIND THIS POST

Gee i wonder who's behind this accussation.

But no, i only browse that shithole because it's the only good source of quality mods out there. Moddb just keeps reposting the same shit if they aren't stealing mods from there. Wished i wasn't banned for telling wildweasel to suck a dick for censoring discussion because of muh feels, don't give enough of a fuck to proxy on a new account.

It's shit at doing what it was doing before, in original game, now it serves a different role which suits it fine. If you upgrade a kitchen knife to a two handed longsword, of course it would have trouble performing as good at task of cutting thin slices of cheese for a toast.
That is a very wrong comparison to make. Shotgun became way too good at being jack of all trades, thus it became better in comparison to most weapons and not just ssg. Ssg is still a king at what it is supposed to do.
If you dive inside a horde of anything stronger than cacos with this idea you'll be rekd pretty fast.
I don't see a problem with that, since it adds a mechanic that spices up the o' so boring strafing that everyone playing doom have already mastered at this point.
If we talking cheese here, then if you are able to cheese with headshots, you are probably able to cheese the monster regardless, it would just take more time and patience. And if we are talking vanilla, then why would you be this much of a fucking hypocrite?
Why should they be? And I believe the pistol/AR/MG part was adressed, first with implementation of AR or it was pistol that got implemented since vanilla fags were whining too much, I don't know and then with implementation of akimbo AR.

I like it, but it didn't have much practical application(isn't suited for general purposes) before it got it's own campaign(though it still might not work for it, I don't know, I don't care).
Mixing it with oblige and invasion wads was a perfect experience until compatibility issues broke something(or delta invasion might be inherently broken in the first place).
It's the best at what it does, which clicked with the masses and why it became so popular. Unlike some AAA trash, BD deserves its popularity for the most part.

The problem about an intended crowd control weapon now being repurposed because of muh torture mechanics is that you fuck up doom balance to the point of making the gun useless. There's no reason to be using it even on 1v1 encounters with Barons or Fatsos because you can still kill them faster by headshotting with the rifle and you save more ammo for it. It's completely outclassed by a gun that should be considered a peashooter, why?

You can kill hellknights with 3 shotgun headshots, which are faster and much safer to do than 2 SSG blasts in point blank to said knight. He also nerfed the SSG spread for ??? reason and buffed the shotgun's spread for long range asides from giving it 10 pellets. Only thing that keeps the shotgun from being the best BD weapon is reloading but

Fatalities can be glitched to make you invulnerable until you exit the level, it's been a bug since they were introduced and i can still replicate it on the newest version. This is what i meant by "exploiting", it's a bug with how the engine handles morphing.

The whole headshots dealing x5 damage mechanic is broken with how you can trivialize everything by sitting in a corner and clicking heads instead of actually dodging and dealing with monsters the way they were intended to be used. Yes i know they have altered AI, are faster and thus deadlier, they can still be cheesed in plenty of situations you couldn't in vanilla by just popping heads, specially on the supposed "tougher" demons.
And about the cyberdemon and rockets, you normally need about 45~50 rockets to kill a cyber due to the fact that he has splash damage resistance. 8 rockets is retarded broken, specially when cyberdemon rockets were nerfed to not kill on a direct hit at full health when wearing green armor, while in vanilla you needed at least 200 health and 70% of blue armor to survive a direct hit.

I haven't even gotten to the point of how the BFG is now a shitty rocket launcher, or how 20 imps are way more fucking deadly than 20 hellknights due to a_fastchase attacks. There's plenty of unpolished shit in BD and i'm just talking the surface stuff.

Project Brutality is better.

Because you are mentally challenged and have trouble reading. Again, minigun isn't about crowd control anymore, it's about crowd mowing - big difference.

???
I think you are missing the point of this mod.

I called you being a fucking hypocrite.

I've never encountered it and if that does ruin experience, then, like, I dunno, maybe dont replicate it? Sure it does sound exceptionally broken if we imply multiplayer, but BD has a shitty compatibility and I don't think anyone runs it without some other mod, so that is somewhat out of the question here.

now children, can you spot a glaring contradiction in here..? big pause to let smaller children scream at the monitor screen where a contradiction jumps from sentence to sentence what? you say you saw something? hmm, where it could be~ā€¦

I think we were already past the point where circle strafing and holding lmb for a minute wouldnt be considered an entertaining challenge in a game where all you do is circle strafe and hold lmb.

fix

Not an argument tbh, half of it is strawmans and the rest makes me not even want to reply but i'll refute one thing because it sounds silly you're intentionally taking what i said out of context
And
Peashooter is a nickname for pistol-slot weapons for a reason.
Try to at least argue things instead of just being a meme.

Alright, I'll make it so that you won't be triggered enough to consider dismissing most of my points.

You are completely missing the point of the mod. You don't understand and try to argument basing on your feeling of vanilla while having close to no common sense. Why are you trying to use concepts of vanilla as base to what is right and what is wrong WHILE SIMULTANIOUSLY accepting the headshot mechanic? Do you honestly not see the problem? Alright, if you are that blind then I'll answer what exactly is wrong: mouselook with no autoaim. If you accept that using that is natural to the mod's mechanics, then why aren't you trying to analyze the mod for what it is? Are you retarded? Are you a hypocrite?

Well, shotguns are considered peashooters too, and there were far bigger problems with your post than to notice another one, where you again doing the same mistake in a lesser extent.
Why would you bring it up in brutal doom context? Why are you mixing it with vanila's concepts? What is wrong with you?

Just tested on project brutality and found that hitboxes are way too finicky to say reliably how much anything needs till death outside of single shot weapons. Especially for hellknights and barons of hell.

Either way, I didn't come lurking into this thread to instead start arguing about BD.

There is a fundamental problem here on what we think what brutal doom actually is or attempts to be. But i'll concede to you for a second because i don't want the thread to turn into brutal doom argument #3625.

Also
That's no brutal doom proper, but a mod based ontop of the shit that fixes most of it. You're taking what i've said and simply misread, ignored or implied entirely different things of a certain basis on the pretense that i'm actually contradicting myself. While thinking i'm talking about a mod that isn't what you think it is.
For a small example; The minigun in BD is shit because it gets stuck on the first dude it kills because the corpse happens to have triple its health for the whole torture mechanics to work, this is fixed in PB and is kinda why you're probably wondering what the fuck i'm talking about.

And no, i'm not doublethinking with the headshot mechanics. I'm arguing that they ruin the game in several ways, including weapon balance and trivializing enemy encounters.

Sure, I'll give you this then, since 1. obviously sane person wouldn't say things that he himself finds contradicting; 2. one might be trying to communicate something different than what he has in mind.

I wholeheartedly agree that they ruin the game in areas where campaigns are based around vanilla balance, thus making them play like crap.
But for serious sam like experience I don't find anything more suiting than a BD+oblige/invasions/slaughter maps(which I didnt try yet).

I know, it's just what I've had at hand, but honestly I've played both of em and not much difference has stuck in my mind between the two, so for me they are interchangable.

I like Brutal Doom myself, it's just that Project Brutality obsoletes it. Why would you download BD when PB has its own mode, BD mode and regular doom mode with tons of more options?

The melee Cacos have now and charging Hell knights are bullshit though. I don't know if that shit ended up in BD too but fuck that.

You can turn it all off in the project brutality options. If you don't like knights charging, imps crawling on the ceilings, then it doesn't have to be there.

Didn't they admit the 'AI' was actually scripted to balls?

can any one of you fags join this server already? i'm bored doing this alone

I would, if it was a eurocuck server, playing with a ping higher than 100 isn't acceptable for me.

Host user, whats on the menu tonight?

No idea really, what do you guys want me to host?

Will Blood ever get the treatment that Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior got with their updated ports? Or even get a decent source port?

forgot to mention:

also if anyone knows where to get good pulse rifle sound effects, pls gib link.

No because we don't have the source code and the company that owns the source code doesn't care

Only if Atari stop being delusional about how much people are willing to pay for the name "blood."

Did we beat that invasion map yesterday? I guess if no one has suggestion we can try that again. Or any other fun wads you have?

We din't beat that map yesterday after my shit broke and i had to leave. We could try that again, since the server's still up.
I do have a few ideas for a few wads but i don't want to force my shit onto you guys, i'd prefer to host something someone else wants to play instead of having no players.

Negro, you are nice enough to host, do that wads you wanna do unless a few anons have another suggestion. I'll hop back on the invasion one for now.

No. Stop asking.

So anons.

I've got an itch to play Heretic/HeXen again.

What's the best source port to run them on since the steam version is utter shit.

inb4 >steam They were on sale for less than a dollar how was I to know it was a shit port.

Well if you want modern support GZDoom.

pleb

They most likely lost it because they didn't think ahead like Carmack and Romero did.

QZDoom I guess.

I appreciate it, user.

Download older versions you pleb
Play oldet mods
Most will ask you for OpenGL 2.0

I feel like i made a huge mistake but there is no stopping now
there is only going down
And the OP image for Doom threads really needs Ancient Aliens on it, it is worth a play for the music alone.
youtube.com/watch?v=QzY7s7Zv7VA

graf removed all svn revisions for 1.8 on his site which was the last release before 1.0 was changed into 2.0 and then 3.0 a few versions later.

About hosting today or tonight, i have two options with three possible gamemodes. However both require Zandronum 3.0 so you'll need to enable pic related in Doomseeker options to download the svn version (since 3.0 is not out yet).

Anyways the two mods are:
Combined Arms:
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=combined_arms_v1.0.pk3
Zdoom link: forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=888943
And Armed Veteran:
allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=armed-veteran-mp.pk3
Zdoom link: forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=958186

They are compatible and can be played in Coop, Deathmatch or CTF. Despite the looks, Armed Veteran plays great in competitive gamemodes, which is surprising for the type of balance it has going. Which one do you want to play and in which gamemode? If you want to give any other suggestions on what to host or what you want to play, just reply as well.

That's literally the definition of a game "AI".

It's not an AI but a set of commands and actions that get picked depending on current situation.

What are some good gameplay mods that don't fuck with the original too much? Just overall improvements, not making shit OP.
Beautiful Doom got closest to that for me, but I want to know what else there is.

(nice dubs)
There's Smooth Doom, which just gives you smooth animations + some little enhancements like multiple alternative enemy skins, Doom 64 weapon and item alternate skins, SSG gibbing and things like that.

Is D4T worth playing in multiplayer zandronum?

flip a coin, I'll pop on in a bit

It's honestly not that bad so far even if I'm still shit at dodging rockets in corridors.

Yeah, that's always been bullshit.

Sure mark.

Let's forget that he unironically stole assets from ALL SORTS of doom content creators without crediting them, from sounds, music and graphics to scripting.

Let's forget as well how much of an edgy, memelordy, whiny, shitty cunt that has an egotistical problem that he is.

I'm okay with BD itself, because it's a rather good mod, but that's it. Balance is thrown off the window in the worst ways possible, it's horrible on older computers and lower end PCs and it's fanbase is THE WORST of all of the doom community, way above zdoom and doomworld's forums.
It's the kind of fanbase that shuns a mod and it's creator for not being compatible with BD.

Oh, that was hilarious on both sides.
Remember the plasma death jab as well?
Now THAT was shitposting.

saging for offtopic

Ain't my fault you let words on a screen get to you, and assets being used without crediting people happens fucking everywhere. It's only because BD is popular that it matters to people.

I don't understand this "people hate it because of its popularity" argument, because the idea of when a form of media surpasses X+1 amounts of downloads or views then it somehow flips a switch in people's brain and people magically hate it is just absolutely fucking stupid.
It's a DeviantArt-tier argument, boiling down to "My viewer count is bigger than yours, ergo I'm better".

Both HDoom and D4D have been recognized by id and Romero, but nobody's pulling the jealousy card on those.
Joss Whedon is a shitty hack writer, and him being popular is entirely irrelevant to that.
Undertale's a shitty game, and it being popular is entirely irrelevant to that.
Sometimes popular stuff is just shit.

They did?

Go back to halfchan/something awful/the zdoom/doomworld forums
lolno

Eternal September, and in the case of BD Mark also being an asshole but it's the Eternal September mostly. The old guard being bitter that the new blood completely overtakes them over night when they flood in so rapidly is commonplace.

The mayority of the BD hate isn't about jealously on its popularity. It's the fanbase it brought with what people are mostly upset about, you know, those people who never played doom and don't care about doom but have brutal doom for nerd-creds in their own pocket communities or friend circles or some retarded normalfag shit like that. They're the same that demand every mod and mappack to be brutal doom compatible and denounce anyone else that doesn't like the mod to be doomworld/zdoom/jelly at mark for it being popular.
There are plenty of popular mods compatible with Zandronum, ZDoom, Doomsday and EDGE. Sure they may not be as popular as brutal doom, but they are notorious enough to gain articles on shitty mass media news sites as well like MM8BDM, Samsara or Russian Overkill. None of them has anyone complaining that they're popular.

BD is basically the new Aeons of Death in the sense that it'scool tohate it on the (((Doom community))) forums and the cliquish faggots that own them. It's not a popularity thing, it's a "FUCK THAT GUY" situation towards Mark, banning him for an edgy fucking joke, fucking really?

It amuses me endlessly now though that the same cliquish faggots suck DBT's cock for D4D, spineless faggots.

Fucking Unloved.

How do you fuck up so badly?

I already beat that segment, I'm just a little frustrated about it.

Some people just enjoy putting in segments that exist purely to make you suffer.

You had to do that retarded punch-baiting move for a six revenants?

Why do they keep doing this shit. Guns where done specifically so you don't do that. The glory kills where the worse thing about nu-doom, why does everyone keep using them?
and it was a mistake there too.

Am I a plebeian for playing Brutal Doom / Project Brutality on Classic mode, just because I like the feel of them and don't like hitscan enemies?

No, to each their own. Just don't force it down our throats.

It's fine.

Going Down is pretty crazy.
I haven't played many wads that made you feel this uncomfortable. It also makes me hate Cacodemons more than ever, all those fucking things are good for is taking up as much space as possible. Even when they die, you can't see shit with their corpses in the way.

doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/65955-going-down-bug-fix-update-22-08-15/

This one? So bad, good? I don't need gzdoom for this do I?

Nah, I just killed them from distance with a shotgun and a chaingun they were the only guns I had because this wad doesn't like to give out weapons very much. Then it was fun for another while with some atmospheric enviroments and then it just went: "HOPE YOU LIKE LARGE FUCKING HORDES IN TIGHT FUCKING CORRIDORS" and that's when I decided that I have to take a break.

Didn't they merge legacy support in 2.2?

I had no idea even back when Randy was just making maps for Duke Nukem 3D's Atomic edition that he loved to fuck over players.

It just requires prboom's complevel 9 setting, ZDoom is way higher in the compatibility scale (from doom.exe stuff aka complevel 1 to UDMF and zdoom's own map formatting) so it can run it just fine.

If they have, i haven't been able to enable the option, it just crashes no matter the setting in the .ini file.

In the backlog of wads I'm going to play it goes. Since this is Trump's official day as de facto president I thought I had the Trump mod but I can't find it does anyone else have it? And the Moonman Mod I thought I saved that one too.

I asked for them on another place and here's the latest versions for each.
volafile.io/get/EznbAkLuo8um/TrumpDoom.wad
volafile.io/get/EzmCszz-T69w/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3
I'm not sure if they're compatible with eachother, since TrumpDoom changes enemies and weapon behaviour, and its maps may actually require that behaviour to be unchanged by other mods.

Redneck Rampage is a good game

For all the bitching about this nobody's actually bothered to take a screencap of these people existing.

Thanks man.

You get the opportunity to summon 1 demon for a day.

Which demon are they and what do you have them do?

Murmur
Ask him a bunch of questions and have him teach me philosophy, also probably ask him how to get into heaven after having summoned a demon; though I'm guessing the answer is just to go to confession.

Clauneck, because I really like money and he's not a douchebag.

Alright questions I'd ask him:

you forgot the custom music .pk3 for moonman doom
Also, anybody has Grezzo 2 (with eng subs) and its expansion?

Here's the custom music .pk3s and .wads for moonman mod and trumpdoom mod respectively which didn't post
volafile.io/r/9ufj2r80

Still waiting for Grezzo

Well it's too late for inauguration but I enjoyed it none the less.

bump

So I guess nobody is interested in Doom anymore?

i keep asking which port is best for hosting linux multiplayer server and all i get is *crickets*

Coming in to this thread specifically to call you a faggot

Zandronum works in both Windows and Linux flawlessly.

Oh yeah anyone have any thoughts on Hard Doom? The guy has been working on it and it's pretty much at 7.1 now.

moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom-64/news/updated-to-version-20

Since ZDoom development has officially ended, can we discuss about ZScript? How powerful is it compared to DECORATE?

(checked)
and thanks!

Can anyone help me? I just set up brutal doom with project brutality with gzdoom 2.3.2 and whenever I fucking fire a gun(or confront enemies) the game just freezes up and the music plays
How do I fix this?

ooph

Are you serious? You're only supposed to use one of them, not both at the same time. Are you baiting me?

Fuck, I meant only one of them
But this problem occurs in both of them

Ah, my bad. Are you using the latest svn release of GZDoom?

devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

yes
Tried downloading and setting that up, still getting the same shit

Have you tried with QZDoom?

Also random question. Should I use the SVN Zandronum?

Yeah, but I don't think there's a lot of servers that use the devbuilds.

Did you try using an earlier version? Like 2.2 or 2.1?

It works in the earlier versions
Can't figure out why it ain't running in gzdoom 2.3.2

Wait, it's done already? It took them 18 year to get started and it's already finished? Wew.

Anyone played Scourge of Armagon for Quake recently? There seems to be a bug in the level Tur Torment, there's a pool that seems to be spawning fiends infinitely, and they tend to get stuck in corners in that same room and start bouncing up and down.

Everyone hosts 2.1.2 because that's what's most compatible with all zandronum-skulltag focused mods like ghouls vs humans or mm8bdm.
That's for online play though, everyone else who is making new mods or making maps uses zdoom. Plenty of zdoom mods are now compatible with zan3.0 dev builds but some are very unstable (like Reelism), there are a few dedicated mods for zan3.0 like Q(quake in doom) and DnD but they're still in development stages and aren't really good yet.

Zand devs said they'd finish testing and bugfixing zan3.0 by the end of this year's first quartet, so be sure to look out for updates frequently on it.

Very powerful. There's tons of feature suggestions that were [No]'ed over the years that thanks to ZScript you can do without adding a new feature.

Soon you will have control over Thinkers, which if I understand correctly, will let you make new sector effects, door effects, and so on.

Also ZDoom isn't necessarily dead, Randi just quit working on it so now Q/GZdoom are now the main branch. You'll also see regular releases because Graf is now the guy in charge.

Who put this in Turok and why were they not fired before they added it to the game?

Git gud

Try playing it with Accessories to Murder, either the original or the sperglord edition and experience true pain.

I wish they made more mods for Hexen.
The only good mod I could find for it was Wrath of Cronos. felt like diablo 2 but as an FPS.

The extra classes really made it interesting, kinda wish more mods like that were made.

That delay before you can jump again in Doom source ports is the worst shit ever. Jumpmaps could be fun, but instead they're an absolute pain because of it.

Popularity doesn't correspond with quality, Mark. Your mod is literally Shadbase in doom format.

There's a massive tumblr overlap, maybe that's why.

I was hoping that Demonsteele's popularity would entice people to at least make more fantastical mods in general and maybe that would, in a roundabout way, interest people in making Hexen mods or Hexen-like mods for DOOM II. But it never happened. I guess at the very least Demonsteele became its own thing since Hexen modding seems dead in the water.

Thanks for the detailed answer user.

Also is that the final moonman plus the fix that came out afterwards?

Rarely do you see mods exclusively for Hexen anymore, as Doom mods with compatibility to Hexen are more common nowadays, such as Pillowblaster's broken gameplay mods or video related for example.

It was when devs were willing to try things, Turok 2 has less platforming then 1 so you're not alone on that front. If you're having trouble one trick is to jump right after you walk off the ledge the time between your descent and not being able to jump because you're falling it's a pretty short window though you should practice it in the ancient city with all those houses. Gives you that extra length in your jump that you absolutely need.

Those are just .mp3 packs of moonman's albums with a music randomizer which are a pain in the ass to upload due to their bloated filesize, i wouldn't consider them essential to what is basically a gameplay mod and a semi-TC styled mapset. Besides TrumpDoom has music on it's own.

I reupped them here
volafile.io/get/Fs1Ggti4QdM5/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3
volafile.io/get/Fsw2o0Ct7-Uy/TrumpDoom.wad
They'll last for at least four more days as of this post, hope you can catch them by this timeframe.

Is Shadow Warrior supposed to be this hard? It and Blood feel more challenging than Doom or Duke 3D.

I like how gun upgrades are pick ups, so you don't have to pause for some menu thing

It is, and they are.

This mod sounds cool in concept as if it were the ultimate DOOM tribute but is it finished?

Okay let's look at-
I am livid

Does anyone know how regular Doom deathmatch is? I don't think I'll ever really get to play it. I played some Doom II once, but the supershotgun really made things kinda dumb.

Everything is either a supershotgun slaughterfest or a supershotgun plus rockets/BFG slaughterfest.

It's actually incredibly fun on most maps with more than 2 players since everyone usually spawns on the ssg and the only measure on which you can survive is map knowledge and movement techniques, it becomes a clusterfuck of reloading noises with more than 5 players. BFG despite being a superweapon is actually highly based on how you know it works (it's not a rocket launcher, it's more like a 2-phase oversized shotgun with a huge slug ball) which means you can win against a terrible player who has it with proper positioning and strategy.

Just stay away from duels, they can be soul-crushing with contineous 25-1 frags dealt onto you by anyone slightly better than the average

It's already on version 2.11, which adds in the Unmaker from Doom 64 as well as the Soul Cube from Doom 3, among other things.
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=53010

I always get this error when using wadgen to create a wad for Doom 64 EX. My rom is the US version from emuparadise. What should I do? Does anybody have a link to the converted sound file and wad of D64?

i also remember hearing a podcast with the creator of the mod in it and i think he said something about maps for this mod.

Why do they always do this?

I downloaded this mod and it doesn't work, i have GZDoom 2.2.0 and i tried to drag it to GZDoom but it doesn't appear or work

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/addons-mods/doom-64-pc-port/
Has the wad with it, so have fun.

Was Randy jealous of the others guys during development of DN3D?

I wonder if that had anything to do with why he owns Duke.

What the fuck

Thats interesting to know.

I've basically concocted this whole scenario in my head where Randy was treated as the intern at 3D Realms and swore one day he would get his vengeance or something. Its one of the only reasons I can think of as to why he would buy the Duke Nukem rights yet do nothing with them for about 5 years after Forever's release, outside of taking down the Megaton Edition and selling yet another re-re-release for $10 more but with less content.

I found a bug in moonman doom
while playing as moonman if you use the boombox (replaces the chainsaw) it starts rapidly depleting moonaman's health until he dies
You get the messages "Player was by player's plasma gun"
This issue isn't in moonman_v1.1.pk3

Metadoom finally works for me expect for the sounds, only two of them work: chainsaw and the zombieman getting hit

It's working fine for me on GZDoom 2.3.2. Did you download the test version instead of the v2.11 version, because the test version uses ZScript which is not available in GZDoom 2.2.0. Have you set the renderer to OpenGL hardware? Sound to FMOD EX?

Probably because the spawn cube is the most cube-like entity in the classic Doom series.

Has anyone ever noticed that Quakeguy kind of looks like Doomguy?

doom 4 has that too though

Finally got it working

one could argue that only Hell Knights are something you should look out for, and maybe pinkies and shield guys too
there's summoners as well, but they are barely even used in the game to begin with

the rest of the enemies are not an immediate threat because you can dodge their attacks most of the time due to the huge amount of space and movement ability you're given, especially considering every single enemy (with the exception of shield guys in close range) fires projectiles you can simply dodge by circlestrafing
people tend to give hitscan shit because of how its used in modern games, but in Doom the hitscan was fair enough to let you kill hitscan enemies who went down in one shotgun blast without getting yourself damaged and properly hammered the enemy priority through sending a subtle message like 'this guy can damage you from any range, you should probably kill him first'

there's also the aspect of enemies influencing your choice of weapons during battles and denying you freedom of movement, such as pinkies charging at you and preventing you from using your RL lest you suffer splash damage, but in Doom 4 you're given so much space to move around in to the point where enemy area denial like the Cyber-Mancubus acid attack doesn't even matter because of how easily you can dodge it
not to mention how the majority of the enemies you're fighting in Doom 4 have largely identical roles, like Imps run around randomly and throw fireballs at you, Cacodemons float around and throw screen-obfuscating fireballs at you, while Revenants fly around and shoot missiles at you, they don't even fire homing missiles anymore either
because you can easily outrun most enemies (ESPECIALLY if you use the Vertical Space given how inept the enemy AI is at thinking vertically) there's no real reason to prioritize, it's not like they pose any immediate threat as long as you dodge their shit

the only other way of prioritization is using weaker enemies for Glory Kills, but that's about it

so, it does have enemy prioritization. the original doom didn't have very strong enemy prioritization either, focus shotgunner and thats it take out the others when you are done. it is a lot harder to dodge a fireball in doom 4 than in the original and it is the same for all comparable threats making them worth focusing more in certain situations than in the games that came before it. doom 2 added chaingunners and archviles which are the only things they added that actually need to be focused. you can forget revenants and pinkies exist until the real threats show up (those with attacks you cant just dodge) or just completely forget them and run past saving your ammo

i know, just clearing that up

The thing is with the original Doom that enemy prioritization and level space played a larger role together, on top of several more variables such as keycards being placed behind a group of enemies, various environmental hazards, and not being able to circlestrafe everything to death
Revenants and Mancubi were ten times more of a threat when you didn't have enough space to dodge their massive fireballs or homing missiles
Cacodemons/Mancubi/Hell Knights/Hell Barons's bulletspongy nature makes them severely more threatening than Imps or shotgunneers in tight quarters where you can't safely use your rocket launcher or can't reliably dodge their attacks, given that a normal shotgun or chaingun can't kill them fast enough. The only way Archviles can be done right if there's enough obstacles to break their line of sight with.

Doom 4 throws all that out of the window in favor of unrestricted movement, and if you've ever played Descent 3 after 1 and 2, you know how samey such enemy encounters can get.

Because the projectile speed of Imp fireballs in Doom 4 got shot up so high, they've lost the effect of being able to form massive curtains of fireballs when a dozen Imps started firing at you which would create a more lingering threat depending on the situation. In Doom 4 dodging fireballs largely comes down to circlestrafing as no obstacles or hazards will ever prevent you from doing so (or just climb up shit), yet they can be so fast that you might still get hit no matter how hard you circlestrafe.

ive beaten every doom except plutonia and 64 on ultraviolence but i havent experienced what you are talking about. ive never considered projectiles in doom to be a threat at all. for example, i know baren of hell blobs do a good deal of damage but they are so easy to dodge that you could beat it in a melee match, and they have the fastest projectiles in the game (or maybe a tie with cyberdemon?). you can specifically "circlestrafe everything to death" in the original games, you cant even fucking circlestrafe in doom 4, i don't think doom 4 is harder but i think this is a poor argument, enemy prioritization doesn't mean as much as people claim since the games they praise don't even make good use of enemy prioritization either

It's possible, but most levels restrict your ability to do so by not giving you enough space to properly circlestrafe in the first place, whereas Doom 4 gives you FUCKTONS of space to do so most of the time, on top of the Vertical SpaceĀ© acting as both a getaway for projectiles and enemies

I really doubt your claims that you've beaten beaten every Doom if you're seriously claiming you can circle strafe everything to death when there wasn't enough room for circle strafing in Doom I half of the time. Unless you've only played the easy difficulties in which case you're a plebe if you think you can circle strafe in Thy Flesh Consumed and it'll be fine on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence.

There is close to no mods for hexen, because hexen is shit. Well, maybe not outright garbage, but worse in every way to other games in the genre for the sake of experimentation that doesn't really go anywhere in the end.