PC Gaming Thread

My Laptop is really starting to annoy me (around 1 BSOD a day), and so i've been building a PC, and i would like to use my new PC to emulate PS2, and so,how is PS2 emulation performance using AMD Cards, is there a noticable difference?

Other urls found in this thread:

agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
alltimevrecommendations.wikidot.com/wiki:pc-primer-test
logicalincrements.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=UuchUscHWSw)
youtube.com/watch?v=vBXk-VSJ7UI
dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/
amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-named-a-best-2016dec05.aspx
archive.is/ML63F
archive.is/RdIHH
archive.is/NRXsH
overclocking.guide/category/intel-oc-guides/skylake-non-k-oc/
anandtech.com/show/11031/amd-set-to-launch-ryzen-before-march-3rd-meeting-q1-target
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Emulation is all CPU.
Your card only needs to be powerful enough to render the actual output.

you want intel and nvidia if you want things to work correctly. AMD is the budget gamble option. where it's a matter of "well, my old shit is showing its age but I don't have much money so I'll get this stuff" and then you find it doesn't always quite work when only people with your hardware brands are reporting those issues.

source please?

I'm just here waiting for the first sage of the thread.

being an AMD user for 16 years

well, the 470 is better performance wise to the GTX 1060 (as well as being cheaper), so i fought i'd choose that

i also fought i'd choose AMD because of all the Anti Consumer Shit NVidia has been pushing.

Did you even read what he said.
AMD IS CHEAPER BUT IT DOESN'T WORK AS WELL
fucking r e a d

principle consumerism is a recipe for regret

It doesn't though, at least not anymore than Nvidia (a quick trip to GeForce forum should be enough evidence). AMD cpus are shit at the moment, but ryzen has shown similar performance to a 1000 bucks Intel i7 (can't remember the exact model), so -depending on how much those retail for- there might be hope.

Out of the latest line, the only nvidia GPU worth buying right now are the 1050 and, maybe the 1080 and only If you have money to spare and don't mind knowing that the TI version will be released reasonably soon with a similar price tag. The 1070 is alone on its price Range, so it might also be an option If you're not willing to waste more money to get the 1080. For everything else, the 470 and 480 (8gb, non-reference) are objectively better choices.

I have an nvidia card and a AMD cpu, and I struggle with PS2 emulation. I heard most emulations rely on a single to two cores of the cpu. I'd recon you get yourself an intel processor if you want to focus on emulation. As for gpu do whatever you feel like.

if AMD had better performance per core, this wouldn't be the case. Emulators authors all use intel hardware and pretty much entirely use the intel compiler for C++ which has a cripple_amd function built into it. Many pieces of software use it, it's obviously not fair but if you want to cripple yourself to send a message (a message nobody will hear, mind you) - then go for AMD. If you actually want to do what you want with reasonable performance, Intel has to do.

im really curious if they will make some changes with RyZen

anyway for ps2 emualtion you can buy i3 6100 or extra budget option is Pentium G440.

to rest, amd is quickly catching up and with nvidia fucking up so much recently they will catch soon

buy an xbox one, its like a pc but good

you're going to have to provide evidence for that, because that sounds ridiculous.

I thought everyone knows how intel and nvidia sabotage amd
agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49

okay very nice, but you can build from source can't you?
don't tell me you don't know how to build from source

The problem with getting into PC gaming is that there's always something around the corner that's worth waiting for. You'll always feel ripped off when something new comes out down the line. First you wait for Zen, then you wait for Vega then you want for Nvidia and Intel and their alternatives and you end up not having a PC. Thanks to the console companies making more powerful revisions the norm this is going to be a problem over there too.
Anyway, Intel + Nvidia seems to be the best option right now, at least for emulation. Zen might turn out to be good, and it certainly looks promising, but you gotta wait to find out :^)

anybody here who has some longtime experience with the RX470? What's it been like?

zen sounds OK but really it's all going to come down to real world performance. AdoredTV did very good coverage of it, and it's sounding really nice, but of course, more specialized things like emulation may or may not yield notably better/equal results to the competition.

its makes my room hot

I wrote a guide a while ago for this kind of thing. It's a bit outdated (primarily regarding GPUs) but overall still pretty accurate. I guess I'll update it over the next few hours:
alltimevrecommendations.wikidot.com/wiki:pc-primer-test

In regards to AMD, their CPUs are currently pretty crummy, but are coming out with new (supposedly very good) ones VERY soon. Intel are complete kikes so I recommend waiting for that.
GPUs are complicated. A year ago, Nvidia and AMD competed head to head in most respects, but with the release of the RX 400 and GTX 1000 cards, things got a little more complicated. Basically, AMD only currently has lower- and mid-end (but still very good) cards, whereas Nvidia has a range of cards, but their lower- and mid-end cards aren't as good of a value as AMD's. AMD's upcoming Vega GPUs should fill the rest of the niche, but those aren't supposed to be released until around July. That being said, emulation isn't very GPU-intensive (Dolphin is the only major emulator to support it in any sort of significant way, and even then its somewhat minor), so even AMD's lowest-end card at the moment (the RX 460) should be more than sufficient.

tl;dr don't buy current AMD CPUs, buy any recent GPU

I'm planning my next rig and I was thinking of switching to AMD for the same reasons as this guy

But you're putting up a strong case here

Having principles ain't easy, I'll tell you that.

I appreciate your insight. I can afford to wait, and I seldom ever buy the latest available hardware so I appreciate insight like yours.

Hope fully AMD does have good shit, otherwise I might eventually bite the bullet and get Intel anyway. I looked into the other user's source on Intel's "cripple AMD" line in their compilers and it checks out unfortunately. They were sued in 2009 and the result was that they only added a short disclaimer, and didn't remove the bias in the compiler.

PCSX2 doesn't like using it with OpenGL which sucks since it's way more stable and renders better. It's fine with DX9 and DX11 though, it just suck really hard. Other then that I find that it runs hot normally.

There's also Logical Increments if you need help planing out a build.
logicalincrements.com/

it just suck really hard that you can't use OpenGL for bugs.

having principles for this shit is fucking dumb and in the end you are the only one who gets fucked because nothing will change because you bought one amd cpu and an amd gpu in 4 years meanwhile 1000s of people bought intel/nvidia hardware for the same thing. AMDs problems are mindshare, product quality, and customer experience. When they start sorting them out and stop being the pitiable underdog who plays fair but can't get their shit straight, then they will be a serious contender. I don't know if that'll happen, Zen will be out soon, Vega looks to be a marginal improvement over the current Nvidia offerings (will likely be a cheaper alternative but far from a gamechanger, source: youtube.com/watch?v=UuchUscHWSw)

Zen looks good, but of course, wait for real world results from regular users. My source: youtube.com/watch?v=vBXk-VSJ7UI

I'm not going to tell you to stick to your principles. Frankly I think if you're a PC gaming type you probably sold your principles if you actually want to play games and not Linux ports. I'm going to tell you to try to get the best you can for your money, Intel and Nvidia cost a little more, they are also more functional and will absolutely serve you better. They may not play fairly, but the reality is, it lets you do what you want regardless of the shady shit they do. I don't like it as much as you do (I'd wager I probably dislike it more than just about anybody on this board) but that's the reality of it.

maybe they'll get vulkan support, but pcsx2 is a pretty big mess.

yeah, especially seeing that AMD put the botnet features the Intel had for years into ryzen
and that MS forced both Intel and AMD to supporting only W10 (oficially)
and lets not talk about their lgbti bullshit

what are you, poor?

it would take AMD decade of perfect products to shake the "le bad drivers, just get nvidia" meme
and thats not really possible

since i don't want my room to get hot in the summer when using AMD Shit, would the 750ti be a sutable replacement when modern AAA Stuff mostly sucks anyways?

Haha, fuck you, get off this thread

I dont think it can heat up room that much.
but 1050ti is better choice, 750ti is now a bit old

I feel bad for Linux users, because AMD actually has WORSE drivers for Linux. How bad are they?

Lets just say that back when mainstream distros like Ubuntu started rolling out the 4.0 kernels AMD users using AMDs official drivers had their entire systems fucking bricked, myself included. The problem was AMD compiled using an older version of GCC that pushed out kernel modules that 4.0 didn't like. It took forever for AMD to fix their shit and the community had come up with a patch before it.

HAHA stay poor goy!

That's not entirely true. When the 980ti came out, it wasn't a bad purchase, had you buy it back then, you would still be running shit like it's nobody's business. Same with some I5 CPUs from a couple of years ago (I'm awful with Intel nomenclature). The 390rx was also a great purchase right on release, same with the 290rx if you had the psu for it. Depending on your budget, the 750ti was also great at the time.

Unless something radically better is around the corner (right now with ryzen), you're not better off waiting, specially with the current budget GPUs doing so well.
When it comes to waiting for GPU, you're better off getting the best CPU you can afford with a good motherboard and just shove in some budget GPU (could be something used/refurbished too), by the time the GPU you wanted comes out, it takes minutes to be up and running.

mindshare and customer experience are issues resolved with getting your ads out there (nvidia has been doing the way its meant to be played bullshit since like 2002 or something), getting your product logos on games, on stores, etc. that's how you convince people your products are good. They are good. You start working more with developers, get better support, day-1 drivers, etc. Developers see your market share rise, they support your products better. AMD is working on this, the gaming evolved thing is a pretty big campaign for them. They are figuring out how to manage their press releases too, so you will probably find all of their press releases happen all in one week, so everyone is talking about them for an entire week.

That is what is going on, and what it'll take for AMD to start getting their shit sorted. Nvidia has had numerous shitty launches (to be frank they're still licking their wounds from the hd4000 gpu), but they just plain sold more for the regular consumer, the one who goes to best buy and gets a graphics card, regardless of the cost. Shit like that.

since i'm getting a PC (hence i made the thread), and getting a Gaming Laptop is pretty pointless considering shit get's too hot to have on your lap, i don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Aren't all emulators kinda a mess outside of maybe dosbox? I think it's just AMD has issues handling a multi-threading that OGL uses. so switching to Vulkan may not solve the issue. If there's an emulator out there that can handle Ridge Racer V then I'd happily switch but as of right now PCSX2 is the only emulator worth a crap.

I'm just playing user

If you want to know why I went with a gaming laptop, its because I have very limited desk space. having a separate monitor, tower, keyboard, and mouse would've been too much. So I went with a laptop because the entire PC, keyboard, monitor, and mouse are all contained within one unit. Portability has shit to do with it (Nobody but retards actually use their gaming laptops portably, gaming laptops are made to be desktop-replacements) Its all about the extra convenience.

oh, that makes sense. sorry if i went overboard, im just tired, but im getting off-rails

Naw, its just AMD, AMD has somehow managed to make all emulators feel unstable and slow as shit. In reality, emulators like Dolphin have VERY STRICT coding standards, they consider Dolphin to be a low-level emulator, its very accurate right down to the Gamecubes memory controllers. Seriously, AMD is trash, I was an AMD user for a long-ass time, trust me, I know.

Oh yeah, and forgive the doublepost, but if you want to know how Dolphin feels about AMD, the following is a great read
dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/

AMDs vulkan support is the best there is, actually. It made pic related possible. Yes, that is a PS4 running Dolphin. Not all emulators are a mess - I don't like using them to be honest, I always use original hardware, but Dolphin is good, Mednafen is solid (although the saturn branch needs a lot of work still), there's numerous good NES, SNES emulators, Genesis works but the sound is still not right. DOSbox is also a disaster, mostly due to its sound support.

PCSX2 is a special kind of mess of various qualities of code from being closed, and then open sourced and taking numerous contributions. It's kind of in the miracle-it-even-works state, kinda like N64 emulators. Plugin based emulation is also pretty much always a disaster.

dont nvidia fuck them up with gameworks by forbidding devs to share code with amd?

I'm not privy to the contracts, I just know gameworks has been a disaster for AMD and should have been a PR disaster for Nvidia. Most players by and large are pissed at its existence, like Denuvo, but the consuming ones don't really care very much and always outnumber the ones that care.

AMD does the same exact thing with their proprietary shadow API as well. The only difference is AMD can't afford to be pulling that shit because they aren't in the same position as Nvidia who can just get away with it

The 1050 and the AMD 470 have similar price tag and have similar working temperature (almost identical, many 470 models run at lower temperature). The 470 has better performance.

really? can you prove that?

AMD actually has no history of any sort of exclusivity contracts hiding information. They're probably the biggest open source/open architecture contributors just below IBM. AMD does a lot of work with groups behind video display standards and usually works closely with them to create open technologies everyone should adopt because they meet the standards set out by the people responsible for designing things like HDMI, DVI, DP, etc. Sort of like the freesync and gsync thing. freesync was developed with AMDs help and existed for a long time, but was never really active until Nvidia pushed out gsync, but gsync is already dead, monitor production with nvidia's proprietary tech ceased and they're trying to empty their stock now. I imagine Nivida will be releasing drivers for their latest GPUs that support freesync in a year or two.

I sure hope this isn't about speedtree, because that works just fine with Nvidia now (surprise, if manufacturer doesn't use integrate technology it doesn't work like a charm out of the box, the difference is that AMD does allow other manufacturers to use the technology freely, can't say the same thing about Nvidia technology)

What a load of nonesense assertions you are making there. You are wrong, Intel has done more for the open source community than AMD. At least Intel actually has open source GPU drivers. And there were tons of g-sync monitors shown off at CES this year, g-sync isn't going away anytime soon.

Because AMD has shit single-core performance. This isn't a "somehow" thing. Also, making them "unstable" makes no sense. It's impossible for an AMD CPU to make emulators more unstable compared to and Intel CPU.
That doesn't make any sense.
Ok? That is irrelevant to the CPUs being emulated on.

In regards to the Dolphin blog post, they are specifically referencing AMD's Linux OpenGL drivers, which have been improved drastically in the past four years since that blog post was written. If you want to talk about "how Dolphin feels about AMD" I would refer you to the last sentence in their section on AMD:
Note: AMD did indeed make those steps.

Those were in response to the guy that said "Aren't all emulators kinda a mess outside of maybe dosbox?" you stupid aspie, stop sperging out.

amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-named-a-best-2016dec05.aspx

Go look up the reviews or on video tests:
archive.is/ML63F

archive.is/RdIHH

Results are a "give or take" depending on the manufacturer and whatnot. But they are about the same. Look up recent benchmarks for performance.
AMD card is consistently better than Nvidia on both Dx12 and Vulkan applications, most of the time better with Dx11. Worse with PS2 emulation and somewhat worse with Wii emulation. Both cards can deal with the vast majority of the older games just fine.

thanks.

it's funny how my autistic side has such a hard time deciding between the few arbitrary differences between the two cards.

pcsx2 is a piece of unoptimized garbage. it is utter shit. it's unoptimized because it's a marketing strategy to make autists like yourself buy intel's latest most expensive cpu, a 5960x for example.

just buy a regular ps2 and some component cables, mod it and you're good to go. it's also a fuckton cheaper than buying a 5960x.

Full disclosure, I am a good goy, I shelled out like $400 for an R9 Nano.

Running PCSX2 under either DX9 or DX11, if a game works, it runs well. I've been playing Wild Arms ACF at 5x Native Resolution with MSAA 8x, and it's been fine outside of weird slowdowns in menus which only affect the sound. I've got a Haswell Xeon as my CPU, too. I really want to get a Ryzen chip when they hit though, they're supposed to finally be catching up to Intel in single core performance while maintaining higher cores/threads on top of that.

Personally, I also want to try running PCSX2 on the Titan Black I have access to, but it's not paired with a good CPU so I don't want to bottleneck the shit out of it. I'd rather wait and get a better CPU that make it stretch it's legs a bit more. When Ryzen hits, if you're interested in other CPUs, that will be a good deciding point. I don't think Vega is going to be that much of an increase, as opposed to Maxwell to Pascal on the nVidia side where a 1060 trades with a 980 Ti in some cases. In other cases, it loses, though.

Comparing as is, the RX 470 vs the GTX 1050 Ti as has been mentioned, the 470 will win in most scenarios unless the game is heavily biased to nVidia like Project CARS. As soon as you get to the 1060, I found this page that compares the performance in games between two aftermarket cooler versions of either the 1060 or the RX 470. The 1060 wins in basically every case. DX12 and Vulkan is really where you'll notice a performance increase for the Polaris cards, as shown by DX12 Hitman. But otherwise, you'll see comparable or better performance out of a 1060. The downside, of course, is supporting nVidia. AMD made FreeSync open and free to license for monitors and other GPU manufacturers. nVidia's G-Sync is proprietary, and expensive as fuck. It adds like $200 to the price of a monitor. That's just the obvious example, though, there are rumors of shady back deals and other bullshit from nVidia while I hear a little less from AMD.

Please kill yourself to prevent breeding.

They are both about as good. Great $-performance ratio. I personally prefer the 470, but given that you can get a 8gb 480 (Sapphire or XFX) for only 100 bucks more, I'd get that one.

Just fuck my shit up.

archive.is/NRXsH

kidding me, right? good luck trying to get gran turismo 4 to run at all. boy you're fucking autistic. that text wall there confirms it.

(You)

Sure, it's around the corner. But do you really think it'll be cheap once that corner is rounded?

Fuck off, mobileshitter newfag.

Dolphin has to got to be one of the most impressive GPLv3 gaming projects out there. Imagine what downscaling from 40k to 4k will look like, meanwhile modern games are struggling to upscale sub 1080p resolutions.

I emulate a fuckton of PS2 games, I've used my GTX 760, R9 290X, and my Fury X and as far as all these GPUs give I literally could not tell a difference in performance for PS2 emu.

In an alternate universe this was a Dominoes commercial

that's a pretty straightforward and mature take. buying into a narrative is ultimately second to my user experience. if they don;t have their shit together by the time i save up the money for a rig, I guess I'm going to compromise.

1) The Windows version of PCSX2 uses Visual C++, not the intel compiler.
2) Most emulators are open source, so you can recompile it yourself if that's a problem.

That said AMD CPUs are a bit slower than Intel CPUs, although I have my doubts whether it should matter at this stage, given how advanced today's CPUs are.

These days AMD is pushing open source drivers pretty hard.

Okay…
1) AMD has open source GPU drivers too. They've been pushing hard on developing those.
2) Intel GPUs are shit.

When is the best time to upgrade GPU, anyway?

*giving too much information is autism

it is. asspies such as yourself always do this

fucking autists..

2 months after format, windows 10 bootloader will no longer be the first boot device and i need to hold f8. This happens regardless of mobo settings.

so if one wants to play witcher3, titanfall2 and battlefield1 would fx6300 be enough or do you have to go with fx8xxx series that will fry the mobo with its heat?

Jesus fuck go back to 4chan already you colossal retard. Don't shitpost buzzwords and expect people to take you seriously.

Anyone have any experience with overclocking non k cpus on an asrock board? I can't get my cpu to overclock to 4.5 Ghz I can do well with 4.1 but I just cant seem to get it stable at 4.5. I was reading that I needed to lower my cpu cache ratio but I can not find that option in the bios. Any ideas? also rate my build I guess.

When you feel you need more fps in your games.

Think you can change your boot order in the bios or something like that check there first.

What is your GPU? I think battlefield and titanfall are pretty GPU intensive witcher 3 is a bit heavier on cpu in certain scenarios.

A friend of mine helped me build my comp in 2013 and it still runs very nicely:

If you buy shit components you will have to replace them soon. If you buy incompatible components you will not be able to build them together. So make sure your casing is designed to fit your motherboard type and that the components you buy can be connected to the motherboard and that your power supply has enough power to supply your machine. Some people say 500W is enough most of the time but I have an 800W one just in case. My comp runs well and I can emulate any console from NES to Wii and PS2 with a decent quality.

For CPU I would go for an intel i7 CPU with at least 3.5GHZ. More recent models have even 4GHz and only cost 30$ more. AMD cpus are cheaper but they cannot bring the same power that intel aviv cpus offer. This may or may not change with their new line that comes this year. Emulation is very CPU-consuming so here a good CPU would be very important.

The motherboard should be either ASUS or any other quality brand because the motherboard is very important. Also keep in mind that you need the motherboard with the right CPU socket. You cannot buy a motherboard with a socket for intel CPUs and then place your AMD cpu onto it.

For the power supply it is crucial to have as much power as your machine consumes at peak levels. F.e. if your Components use 550 Watts at peak then a 500W power supply would not be powerful enough and you should aim for a 600W or 700W one.

Hard drives and SSDs are tricky as well. WD sells a certain extra cheap "green" line and I noticed those drives are shitty for anything other than storing files there. If you want to watch a movie from this drive it will lag, if you play an emulator game from there it will lag as well. Just get one of WDs black or blue lines or anything from Seagate that is similar in power. If you want to, you can go for an SSD as well because they got a little cheaper during the past few years.

For graphics it does not really matter what you buy. Invidia is for maximum specs on modern games with all features enabled and AMD is for general daily use to playing games that do not consume that much resources. I bought an AMD because AMD cards were better for bitcoin mining back in 2013. It is a good card and I can play emulator games, older games Sim City 4, Mafia 1, Max Payne 1+2. Stalker, Battlefield 1942, Vietnam and BF2 with full graphical quality and all features enabled.
I can also play more recent games from steam Half Life series, Portal 1+2, Left for dead 1+2, Counter Strike with this card but I never tried out to max the graphical settings. They play well and I never experience any lags but those are not new games.

Good luck

rx 460? I don't think upgrading the cpu will help you much maybe get a better gpu if you want to play at higher settings like an rx 480 8 GB version.

yeah I know that for high I need something better but Im okay with medium or so its just mine cpu cant run those games so thats why I asked

You can only overclock K's m8.

You actually can overclock non-K Skylake CPUs on a few motherboards. Intel shut it down almost immediately, but the BIOS updates are out there for it.
overclocking.guide/category/intel-oc-guides/skylake-non-k-oc/

Reinstall Windows, retard. I doubt your components are dying.

If you're set on building, (you'll have to eventually), wait at elast until AMD releases their Ryzen CPUs and Vega GPUs because even if they suck (they will), they will cheapen existing AMD and Intel and Nvidia hardware at least.

Personally, I'd recommend against it since display technology will probably improve dramatically in the coming 3 years and honestly there are no good AAA games that require a beefy computer. Still, you can build a very cheaply that can do PS2 without breaking a sweat.

Plebbit has subreddits to help novices such as yourself and also tracks sales of parts you might need and can snag at a discount.

Otherwise, just use PCpartspicker. Newer AMD CPUs are fine for exiting emulators. Even if their single core performance leaves a lot to be desired right now, for gaming and even emulation, it's enough. I'd def wait for Ryzen CPUs though.

Right now, overkill i7 CPU and overkill Ryzen CPU go head to head in Battlefield 1 at 4K. Leaked performance reports indicate that the other 4 and 6 core Ryzen CPUs are about on par (little worse) than Skylake. However, unless you are running Linux, you'll have use (((Windows 10))), so it's better to just get Skylake and fix the botnet bits

you need to physically alter some shit to debotnet the intel so its not that easy and it can

anandtech.com/show/11031/amd-set-to-launch-ryzen-before-march-3rd-meeting-q1-target

AMD has an event at GDC, which takes place February 27 to March 3, in which they will talk about the "recently-launched" Ryzen CPU.

local seller already rise up price of fx amd to about 30% it was before, fucking hell I hate them so much same shit happened to gpus where they were selling 200Euro ones for 350

PCpartspicker has a price history chart. Might be worth checking it out.

I don't know too much about buying PCs in the Euroland though. Maybe it's cheaper to import?