Atlus General

SMT, Persona, Project Re;Fantasy, any AtlusJP or USA related topic, feel free to talk about it here

Other urls found in this thread:

shin-megamitensei.jp/
twitter.com/iiotenki/status/814615451393257472
archive.is/aHaPc
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Team
nichegamer.com/2017/01/18/utawarerumono-mask-of-deception-heads-west/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yamato did nothing wrong

Ronaldo made communism work.

So, what year is Persona 5 actually set during? I know trailers and gameplay demonstrations show it being 20XX. But surely there is a confirmed year? Or will it differ between the Western and Japanese releases?

20XX is all we've got. We can assume it's somewhat current, as modern Persona usually only takes place a few years four I think into the future. Maybe the delays threw them off to the point where they decided to just not commit to the last two digits. Maybe it was also to differentiate it from the other Persona titles by not giving it a clear place on the timeline. Could be 2013, 2020, or even 2040. I doubt the loc team would change that. If we found a Calendar year that matched P5's dates, that could be interesting. Did Feb. have 28 or 29 days?

This is not real communism

Mako is best girl.

NO MARIE, NO BUY

Last year had 29 days.

This year has 28 days.

Does that help?

I meant in P5.

That's not Fumi.

I want to see Sonic in a Shin Megami Tensei game.

That would be the death knell of megaten.

Fumi is good too.

I acknowledge your good taste as well. God I hope they make a third Devil Survivor.

Me too, though I'm rather pessimistic about the probability of it happening.

But it would be funny.

Persona already did that.

Really, why? Because of the shitty anime?

Something occurred to me just now. There are sometimes in P4 where they reference regular people watching you via the Midnight Channel in the tv. The problem with that is two-fold; the first being that watching the Midnight Channel requires raining at midnight to watch, which never happens when the IT is in the tv, and then there's the fact that no one ever mentions this, while they do reference the Midnight Channel Shadow Shows and and P4: Arena advert. Has that ever been explained? Beyond P4's troubled development, I mean.

I need EOV's release date.

August 4, 2016. That is… of course, if you can… read Japanese.

What would an aquatic based demon race be called?

shin-megamitensei.jp/

SMT V…?

I can see it now…

SUPER PERSONA 5 ARENA ULTIMAX TURBO CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION coming 2018

With that NEXT, I believe it, though I don't think it'll come this year.

Persona already turned 20.

Rerelease of all of SMT games for PS4 because

Fuck you

No Marie is actually a good selling point

More trauma center when?

Never ever. Those games aren't casual enough for Atlus' current clients.

I blame Purse Owner 5 for the lateness.

Atlus was by and large my favorite developer for the DS. Haven't played anything from them for any other platform actually.

Some 3DS games they developed have Day 1 on-cart DLC, sad to see them go that path.

Atlus is owned by Sega. This isn't surprising.

Only if he looks like pic related

SMT IV had Day 1 DLC before Atlus got bought out by Sega though.

They must've seen kindred spirits then.

this is the third time i downloaded this shit

(((Atlus)))
(((Sega)))

Never played any of the Persona games before. Just started Persona 4 two nights ago and it's pretty comfy on PCSX2 (minus a few graphical glitches).

My friend tells me Persona 3 is better, though. Is there any truth to that? I literally know nothing about these games

Both of you are wrong and contribute to cancer

He's speaking thematically because they both play roughly the same. It really doesn't matter which you play first, the connections made are minimal.

P4 is a P3 mod with slight gameplay fixes but a worse story. If your enjoying yourself, good for you.

Persona 5 fun fact: The game began development with the idea of a worldwide backpacking trip. However in reaction to the 2011 Earthquakes, they decided to keep the setting as Japan, using actual Japanese locations this time.

Another P5 fun fact: Hifumi Togo was originally meant to be a Phantom Thief, but the devs felt that the story and team were large enough as it was.

P3 has worse gameplay and since both of them have retarded anime plotlines anything else doesn't matter.

Is this cause for concern?
Is (((localized))) Shidou going to catapult all the Mexicans?

Why do games get localized? Why don't they just get faithfully translated?
Do people actually want people to alter the games so they appear like they take place somewhere else?

I feel like the picture is a code to when they're announcing SMT V, especially with the word "next" on it.
I'm gonna go out there and guess May 25th for the first teaser.

Since he doesn't seem to be on the localization team at Atlus. He seems like he's just played the Jap version. I doubt Atlus would put anything overt into it, but hey, we'll see in 3 months.

It doesn't work like that brother.

What doesn't?

Because localization agencies foist the notion that the original script needs to be adapted for Western audiences which will require more research etc etc which is a justification for them to jack up the prices but I don't understand why devs fall for that because, ultimately, they're charging more for rewrites.
That kikery aside, you then have agenda-pushing localizations putting bullshit like pronouns are jabs at [CURRENT YEAR] thing that got their panties in a twist.

Doesn't matter the end of the spectrum, putting topical things is fuckin' retarded. These cunts think we're getting the game to ingratiate ourselves in their wit and taste in dank memes.

I see. We've been in the era of mainstream internet globalization for over a decade now. I don't understand how devs think that people from other countries are scared of dealing with everyday habits and costumes from foreign countries when we see them everyday on the internet and other media. If anything, that makes it more interesting.

To an extent games do need to be "localized" in that the language needs to be translated as closely as possible with equivalencies while not looking like a razorblade got taken to a baby. The main issue is finding those equivalencies. Using honorifics everywhere is just Japlish that looks retarded and lazy. Changing references to obscure Japanese things that 95% of people wouldn't get is fine as long as they don't replace it with retarded memes and instead sort of try for an equivalent or just explain it with a quick (professional looking) note. Trying to retain certain puns and wordplay that the Japanese love is also a major source of pain particularly because they don't always work. An example would be a pokemon battle in which all the pokemon were kings however for the English release Magikarp (Jap lit: Koiking) had to be changed to a Seaking to keep the theme. Normally things aren't really this easy. The problem is a lot of "localization" companies take it to mean they get free reign to put whatever they want in text boxes as long as it kinda sorta looks right.

translation

EOV ENG WHEN?

In Raidou, Aquatic. Otherwise they'd most likely be Vile, like Cthulhu was in SMT2.

Fuck yest.

Any chance of a Power Instinct sequel?

But I like the Thorman.

Fuck me forgot the image.

In case you didn't know, Thorman was based on Strum Thurman, a figure who was far more conservative than Trump.

I did not but that will make for an interesting read later today. Thanks

Ronaldo would be better if the Fate Links actualy affected them in-game. Everything about him was poorly done. Even his death is retarded in every route.

Strom Thurmond you fucking retard. I swear every time you retards type out the name of anything, you manage to fuck it up horribly.

i'll have Hifumi to go

Oh man I'm so sorry, please forgive my minor typo.

I mean I figured out that it was a typo when I Google the name but did you really just comment on something as inconsequential as that?

Correct. He's just a fan translator that can't even be bothered to do that probably because the game was too problematic for his tastes after he actually played it. His group was advertising their "translated fan guide" super heavily in the months leading up to JP release and like a month after they "delayed" it indefinitely last I checked, I just ended up using a google translated resource for my playthrough instead. He's a fucking nobody who has zero pull with any developer, Western or Nip. Just another SJW that'll bitch and moan when the game releases and is (hopefully) left in one piece. I'll never understand why all of these "fan translators" always turn out to be such raging social justice retards. If you hate everything about Japanese culture so damn much then why did you spend 3+ years studying their language?

Ah yes Japanese tourists, wonderful. Would have been cool to see Amsterdam depicted in a Persona game though.

Thank goodness then.
Thanks for giving context into that. Back to waiting what comes out of it then.

Are games published by Atlus allowed? Because these two are GOAT tier.

Sure buddy. Any AtlusJP or USA related topic, including published games. That reminds me that I need to finish Wayfarer. I forget why I stopped.

SMT4 AND FINAL MAKE ME ANGRY ON A SPIRITUAL LEVEL.
HOW AFTER SJ COULD 4 ONLY HAVE 2 DUNGEONS AND FINAL IS JUST THE FINAL STRAW

I want to marry Chie.

Also what is going to happen to EO since the Switch doesn't have multiple screens? The only thing the map drawing would have decent controls is if they move it to PC, otherwise you'll end up having to open up a menu any time you want to update your map.

Another "woke-alization" tweet you forgot to mention that he quoted
twitter.com/iiotenki/status/814615451393257472

Well isn't Shidou a hard nationalist or something?

YOU FAGS YOU ARE A DECADE LATE AND YOU SKIPPED ALL THIS ON PURPOSE YOU HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME FOR BEING BOUGHT BY SEGA SAMMY FOR A PITTANCE YOU DUMB NIGGERS WHY DID YOU WAIT UNTIL 4 AND DIDN"T EVEN DO 6 YOU ARE STUPID A FUCK WHY WHY WHY YOU SKIPPED HALF THE SERIES AND CAUSED THE STUDIO TO SHUT DOWN I HATE YOU

talking about the first EO, how did the protector's skill "en garde" worked? i beat the game with en garde at level 9 and i dont think i've ever seen the skill working

didn't read much of that but he has a point. People in the west just assume Kanji is gay when there is so much more to his character, him being gay actually makes his character more shallow

en garde works passively but AFAIK doesn't notify the player of when it does activate, it reduces a portion(not all) of the damage too so its difficult to tell if it activated or not.

A-any?
If you like Persona, this game is okay. If you hate Persona, well, you probably already hate the game so it's fine. I just wish we had the Hot Springs DLC, but I guess everything is too offensive for [CURRENT_YEAR]+1 or +2

You can, actually. It rains for a while before the fog hits Inaba, and while it's raining, stronger monsters can appear. So if they watch while it's raining and the weird time-warp of TV World takes effect, they might see a "recording" of you. It's sort of assumed that spooky shit happens, especially since isn't it revealed that Adachi was just following the TV's depiction of who to throw in?

I was never really a fan of Trauma Center. Never held my attention as much. It's a neat way to do a puzzle game, though.

It's a sign. A sign to get a better SD card.

If you're having fun with 4, keep playing. You can come back to 3 later if you want to deal with not being able to give commands to your party and want the stereotypical ultra edgy feeling from an SMT game mixed in with Anime High School.

A gazillion sentences saying that it's a Japanese game with Japanese themes, history, society etc etc but fuck it! just hijack that shit because you're butthurt over Trump.
Last paragraph in pic3 makes sense but that's not carte blanche for them to have the script reference whatever's getting their panties in a twist. They gonna rewrite some character as a homo that's "literally shaking" when Shidou announces the opening of the LGBTROFLWTF camps?

Courtesy of the usual jackasses that don't see a character past whatever identity politics they can plaster on him/her.

The Kanji is gay or Naoto is trans shit gets me in a fucking tizzy. Kanji's entire arc is the rejection of that sort of easy label as a way of personal mentality, and Naoto's is a personal complex granted like all transvestitism. Transexuality doesn't exist.

I like Persona and disliked SMTxFE. Idols aren't my thing, and the gameplay was meh.

But it's not midnight when they go into the tv.
What? That's not a thing.

No, Adachi accidentally threw in women he was trying to rape, at least in the first case. People who gain notoriety in Inaba through the news show up distorted on the Midnight Channel until they get thrown in, usually by Namatame trying to save them by putting them somewhere he thought was safe.

I always wanted an anime of that game, I'd pay for it
Also Chegged

Actually, this was the one thing I wasn't bothered about contrary to my original stance. It's just another workplace job and seeing the musical performances were neat. Touma becoming a Kamen Rider really sealed it for me, though. The more I play, the more I don't like sessions though. The actual fights aren't that challenging until the end game and even then, it doesn't feel particularly hard unless you try to fuck up.

Sure it is. You can spend hours in TV land and every time you come out, it's night time. I know that's kind of an asspull, but it's an alternate dimension, what do you want from me?

Oh. Well. That's what I get for not caring enough to beat P4.

I had to look this up recently because I didn't remember it, I had assumed he threw them in because he thought they were whores, Mayumi with the affair, and Saki with the rumors that she was looking for a sugar daddy to pay for her to travel

He didn't throw in Mayumi on purpose, he thrashed her and she fell in. It was pretty clear his motivation was sexual frustration in the first two murders, but rape itself is all in the tone, not the acts themselves. He does aggressively "flirt" with Saki.

OH GOOD
I WANTED MY GAME TO BE RAPED BY SJW FAGGOTS TO MAKE TRUMPENFURHEHR THE almost FINAL BOSS

NO REALLY THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT i WANTED

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW

What makes Growlanser so good? I've been a Fire Emblem fan but haven't branched out into other TRPGs besides Disgaea. I was planning on getting into Front Mission too.

Don't you want to fight against the ebil adults as the HOPE and CHANGE for the future?

This is partially why I think Persona could be better if they didn't make them High Schoolers. Loses one more way to fuck up localizing them. I mean, they can just fucking rewrite them anyhow but still.

This is legitemately terrifying that liberal shitholes want to push their propaganda everywhere, even rewrite nip video games to push in their own shitty fanfiction about how they assassinate Donald Trump.

Gaming is dead. Never buy anything.

Indeed. I'd much prefer a party of people like the cooperation links as the playable characters.

I suppose it's already too late to let Atlus know this kinda shit is highly frowned upon, to put it lightly.
Doesn't matter if they're pro or anti whatever; videogames aren't the place for those dumbasses to gloat or whine over whatever topic they see fit. Take it to faceberg, twitter etc.

I'm considering to put the purchase on hold until the discussions about the "artistic liberties" in the localization show up. Sat out of SFV because of Capcom's bullshit; this won't be any different.
Now to wait and see Automata butchered by 8-4, Ni-oh being a DLC fest and all the crap I wanted to get at the beginning of the year is reduced to Yakuza 0.
Might be stupid or petty but I can't support this kinda shit.

Yakuza Extreme/Kiwami (the remake of the best game - the original) is coming out too (though PSN download only).

You make a great point but ultimately it annoys me, because I just now realized how each of the side-character adults would make a GREAT Persona cast like P2

But Kanji isn't gay, he's infatuated with the most desirable female of the game.

Of course it's not real communism, it actually worked!

Please, that's not Hinako.Fumi is great though

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THEY SHAKE ON MORE TIME WHEN YOU FINALLY KILL THEM

Jesus christ, don't remind me. He's attracted to the best girl, so CLEARLY he's gay because ARE YOU KIDDING ME YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE YADDA YADDA. If those fucks really want their ships to work, they could at least remember BISEXUALITY IS A THING.
Kanji doesn't deserve this shit, he's the real bro of Persona 4.

PROVE IT YOU FUCK.

Wow, this looks nothing like Wayfarer of Time. As far as I remember anyway. Thanks for the recommendation!
I will never forgive Atlus for Langrisser 3DS

To be fair, neither Ronaldo’s Egalitarianism or Yamato's Meritocracy would work on real life. They both need humanity to be altered from a conceptual level.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sometimes I think gaming turns you into a complete faggot

Never cared much for Persona series. But, is this true? The plot of Persona 5 is centered on conservative nostalgia, or at least something along the line of making Nippon glorious again.

Oh dear.

I'M STILL SO FUCKING MAD. THEY FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENING'D IT TO DEATH. GODDAMMIT THIS WAS THE BIGGEST KICK IN THE DICK IN GAMING HISTORY FOR ME, WORSE THAN FUCKING NUDOOM.
FUCK RE:TENSEI. ALSO DER LANGRISSER > LANGRISSER II, INDEPENDENT WAS BEST ROUTE

Why do you care so much about getting Trumped?

I couldn't find anything about a Aquatic race but Cthulhu being Vile has nothing to do with water.
They are also mostly Dark Law aligned.

I would go with Aqua for neutral, Drown for Dark, and Float for Light.

Interesting.

artists are all degenerate and need to be gassed
not a single medium is safe from this sjewdaism anymore.

whats wrong with what he said? from what people have said there is a trump like figure in the game so is he implying that trump winning means that were in the bad end?

Honestly, what I feel was missing from Persona 4 (that was still present in P3 and dominant in P2) was connections to the real world happenings.

If the game deals with whatever Japan's situation with conservatives is, I feel like the story will be all the better because it will add substance to a series that got really shallow in it's last iteration. Because P4 was basically a modern day anime told through games and modern day anime is designed with a checklist.

its diamond is unbreakable but worse because of that checklist like you said

I keep forgetting that one (5 has been on my backlog for months…). Sad to hear 6 is shit.

I didn't say it was a sure thing. It was more of a pessimistic expectation. But Taro did say he was leaving it at the hands of 8-4 and that some things were likely to be adapted for Western audiences.

Well, he's not saying if that's a good or bad thing, just that it was an "impressive event". And it was, especially with all that celebrity shilling amounting to nothing; knowing most people are tired of those dancing monkeys spouting their shitty opinions like gospel was a great thing.

Nothing wrong with those connections but I'd say they have to be deliberate by the writer; I'm sure some things in the story make sense to the Japanese. Besides, if Trump didn't win, you wouldn't have these jackasses mangling the script to voice their ass pain.

I would still be worried for the script if Hillary had won. This goes beyond who would be the source of memes in a bad localization, and the fact that the memes would exist in the fist place instead of the original script and meaning. I want to experience whatever the author originally intended. And since what I do know about the plot implies that there will be a deeper look into how politics have affected an entire generation from a japanese perspective I'm excited to get that.

Now, Atlus has been very consistent with their translations but I remember hearing that they were pushing the english release back and the implication was that it was because the current script wasn't up to snuff. I was more worried that the same shit that Nintendo has been perpetrating for the last couple years had invaded them in the aftermath of the Sega acquisition.

Well I certainly have an interest in and basic knowledge of Japanese culture and politics.

But the average (American) gamer? I'm not too impressed with the level of intellectual engagement our gaming brothers and sisters display. They need to sell copies to a wide audience.

Hashino's statement seems kind of neutral, so I'm curious to find what kind of political message P5 ended up making but still too lazy to play that far in.

That's true but how far do you want them to go to bridge the gap? If the game does, (and like I said I know next to nothing about the games plot) carry a meaning that is very specific to the japanese experience. I would rather have that game knowing full well I have only a very minimal, and tangential understanding of Japanese culture. If there is a safe way to relate events and characters while still retaining that I would be fine with it so long as the original meaning is carried through.

What I do not want is another Fire emblem or Paper Mario where the story is outright changed. This is true for the broader political implications of the story, as well as the character interactions. Let me decide if I can't relate to, or understand something. I don't want the script to be adapted for a larger audience if it means sacrificing what was intended.
I didn't even play FE, but I still felt burned by that hack job

Fair point. I'm just tired of these muppets whinging on and on, throwing their little tantrums in hopes some magical fairy will descend and overturn democracy just for them. I'm ja Eurofag, I can't imagine what it must be like to be an American and put up with this shit in loco.

Likewise. I admit I already spoiled much of the game but the Wikia doesn't give away much on Shidou, just that he's a draconian ultra-nationalist.
That said, I'm wondering why the japanese wouldn't want that because "draconian ultra-nationalist" sounds like it's right up their alley. Though I read younger generations have been trying to renege traditions and roles expected of them but bar things like NEETs, herbivores etc, I don't know much impact those phenomenons have in the grand scheme of things.

This. Problem is localizers and players that have some pathological need to identify with everything like that's some imperative pre-requisite to enjoy something. Probably the same folks who harp on and on that Kanji's a homo and Naoto's a tranny.

It's not particularly centered around it, but it's a motivation of one of the most relevant antagonists. For what little I was able to understand I enjoyed it, and it turned out to be really humorous given current happenings.

I look forward to the new project reveal(s). Knowing Atlus, the website will probably be updated on the 25th.

Is if… still in translation hell?

Yep. Never ever.

EO3U when

Announced in Japan The same day EO5 gets released in Europe.

Oh, and N3DS exclusive.

Please no.

Digital Devil Saga fun fact: Atlus initially hired writer Yu Godai to create the initial drafts of the game, but she had to leave midway through the process due to health issues. The drafting and writing of the game was completed by Tadashi Satomi. Yu Godai eventually recovered and wrote a novel based on the setting of the game, called Quantum Devil Saga.

This game was also one of Katsura Hashino's first director credits.

thats must be why there was so many females in prominent roles in those games

After EO2U I want them to stick to mainline.

Looking to buy QDS when it all gets translated (if it all gets translated), shit sounds interesting though I can do without the novels character designs, shit looks weird.

What's different in the novels compared to the games?

5 is the last one. No dual screen = no EO.

The 3DS still exists.

Yeah but there likely won't be any new games for it post-switch, which is a "handheld" and "home console."

Then we just wait for the Switch to fail, then they conjure up a new DS to sell on the 3DS' success.

Why? You planning on buying Switch?

As opposed to O3DS.

Etrian Odyssey fun fact: it was originally going to be released with the title Yggdrasil Labyrinth internationally. It was changed in order to avoid confusion with Yggdra Union or Deep Labyrinth, games published by Altus the previous year.

I don't think that they would abandon the 3DS until they make a cheaper portable mode only Switch with better battery life.

Dagda did nothing wrong

Trauma Center fun fact: Trauma Team, the 5th game in the series had a television pilot pitch. The show would've been a 13 episode series, each an hour long, about group of medical students who perform illegal surgeries for patients unable to afford proper treatment. The budget for each episode would've been $1 million, but it never gained traction. The pilot was leaked last year.

The show would've featured Eden Riegel, who worked with Altus again in some roles you may be familiar with.

Thanks to this thread I got my finger out of my ass and got a ps2 emulator, and decided to finally complete Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon after nearly ten years.
It's made me miss my old PS2 though.

Dagda was right.

Yeah, if they want it to be a difficult decision, they shouldn't have made the whole party insufferable cunts.

That's a good one. Soulless Army is fun but sorely lacking all the improvements they made to the second one. Shame we'll probably never get another one of those games that goes even further with refinements.

polite sage for off topic

It gets better? Great. I've been enjoying it so far. But yeah, the odds of seeing another Devil Summoner are low, I'd say. It seems that unless very popular, SMT games don't go beyond 2.

That's the business, for ya.
vs King Abaddon is a far better game than Soulless Army, yeah. Two demons on the field, unified MAG gauge, actual demon negotiations instead of stuffing them into a tube, different weapons, infinite normal bullets with the ability to buy the elemental bullets as added bonuses. All in all a better experience than Soulless Army, but Soulless Army I think has a better setting despite being a little disappointing in some areas.

SMT V for Switch, it's running on Unreal.

Looks like Atlus is trying to kill SMT boys

I swear to me mum if you're not joking I will find you and kick you in the nuts.

it just started development, it was in the switch presentation

Remember how they did the same tease w/Fire Emblem x SMT?

Tell me what it looked like? Was it a gameplay trailer or just images like the SMTxFE trailer?

How do I emulate Maken X?

Well at least they can salvage HD demon models from this (assuming they actually include anything not in Persona 5).

When that private server comes out, maybe those models can be ripped. They honestly don't look that different from their Nocturne counterparts.

Cheers.

Honestly the trailer says nothing outside of using Unreal and that the models are in HD.

I do like the ending musical beat. It reminds me of the SMTI Intro which still gives me goosebumps. Not this trailer though. And since it's unreal I am just giving up on the notion that it will be a first person dungeon crawler right now. Probably we will see a return to the Nocturne/DDS battle screen which is fine.

It didn't say exclusive did it?

Maybe Unreal will mean a PC version?

Since it's on a Nintendo Platform. I have little hope for cross platform releases. Not to mention Atlus hasn't really touched the PC platform. But I don't know what their plans for the Switch are so it's not 100% uncertain.

Without quantifying what I mean when I say "a lot" quite a few of Nip devs have begun to release some of their mainline titles on PC. It would not surprise me if they ended up testing the waters with something like this.

This 100%

I'm not believing in jack shit until they give me gameplay. I'm anticipating that Jack Frost model however.

People keep bringing this up, and they don't seem to realize that one of the only JP games to get a PC release IN JAPAN was Dark Souls, and that took 5 years. The rest, like Nep, Metal Gear Rising, ect., are not on Japanese Steam. As someone who imports all Japanese games, a digital only, Steam only, culturalized release means nothing to me. I'll be hopeful for PC releases and the final death of consoles when these kinds of games actually start being released on the PC in Japan, and not 5 years to a decade after consoles.

Most/all of the Koei games have Nipponese selectable and seem to be purchasable in Nippon.

Senran Kagura does too.

The trailer's introduction of the demons, peeking out of darkness with glowing eyes, was a neat nod to pics related.

Seeing a mainline SMT finally using a good modern engine pleases me greatly. Something for the PC is indeed a strong possibility now.

It was a commercial failure so don't hold your breath.

I want Dagda to kill me. Hopefully he's summonable in SMTV.

Was it a bad novel? I fucking love DDS, easily my favorite SMT game as in including spin-offs AND mainline, and it would ruin my day to hear that QDS is shit.

I heard it was ok, a little bit more fleshed out in the workings of how communities in the Junkyard worked, edgy in other ways like Sera's blood being the only way to revert berzerked characters, instead of her song. It just didn't find an audience.

It will probably be on other platforms. It would be kind of stupid to commit 100% to the Switch at this point and I doubt Nintendo would shell out the money for an exclusivity deal.

Well now. In addition to the Switch game, there seems to be a 3DS project yet to be shown.

By the way, let's think for a second: Was this show the most mainstream appearance mainline SMT ever had?

Interesting to note. One says "3DS" the other just says HD. Does this mean it might come out on another platform than the switch?

considering how well SMTxFE was received I don't think they want to be duped into making exclusives for nintendo anymore

oh my god

is this really it

is that

A JOJO REFERENCE

That's the part I forgot to mention, yeah. Calling it "HD Project" heavily implies it won't be Switch-exclusive. Normally my guess would have been a Wii U port, but I heard they've already stopped production of that console, didn't they?

Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a PC version.

It's likely to be PS4 due to them already releasing the Persona series on the console but hope is good.

congratulations. A franchise that has been compared to JoJo's bizarre adventures for over a decade had an entry that is very similar story wise to an entire arc of JoJo's bizarre adventures.

Gold

I can't wait to see what Project Re Fantasy will be like.

The recent developer interview for Project Re Fantasy is interesting. They say it's inspired by tabletops. I'd say they're aiming so far out of their league, it's a fantasy in itself.

I'm glad they're keeping the new Odin design, but I kinda miss Runic Grandpa Odin from Soul Hackers.

I hope it's Devil Survivor 3, but I know it's unlikely.

all they need to do is clean up/sharpen Kaneko's designs and models from Nocturne, and never look at some of the low-res awful ones from SMTIV/Apoc that look like they hired a guy someone saw doodling during a meeting.

If they can make a game as good as Nocturne with quality of life changes from the latest ones, and the graphics of an actual modern console even ones as gimped as the switch it'll be awesome

a PC release would be awesome though

What's Re:Tensei?

And I notice a few on Holla Forums are vocal againt SMTIV and SMTIVF, they're not that bad, right?

Langrisser game for the 3DS. Very bad game.

Likely not, though the Smirk mechanic is absolutely fucking insane, and I don't know what the devs were smoking when they thought of it.

They're pretty fucking bad. The stories are shit, the dungeons are shit and the battle mechanics are completely broken and unbalanced, more so in 4A, where enemies can give them self free turns, free smirks and wipe you out in one round. You can not tank, as there is no defense stat.

But, since they're on the 3DS, you can easily pirate them. So W/E.

people arent hating it for no reason.

the reasons why people dont like these games are cause of smrik, DLC up the ass, fiend chances being as shity as the original smt, you either one shot the enemy or you will get one shoted because you can only raise hp through level up

but also took nipples off their representation of Diana for some fucking reason because that's too on the nose vs the giant cock making penetration jokes

Jesus fuck, this thing looks ridiculous.

I'd say they're bad because they just don't make it feel like a real SMT game. They're like a dev team just is told to make on but never played them before to make it halfway decent. They're playable games to waste time with but they're not real SMT games. Maybe the series is dead seeing SMTV will be much in the same….

With UE4 they can port it to PC. Do you think they'll do it?

I've heard the gameplay in that awful FExSMT abortion is actually pretty deep… and everything else except the music blows.
What do you say, Holla Forums?

Isn't that the whole point? Having administrator access to the Akashic Records would enable them to do just that.

You chain a fuckton of attacks through passive skills. The only way items and money drop is by doing those long ass chains, the longer the better. You can't skip any of the battle animations during the chains so it gets real fucking old. And that's it that's all you do forever.

The music is shit too.

Unskippable animations are the absolute worst part of the battle system. Worst part of any RPG, really, if they drag on. That's one thing I like about P5 before playing it, it's that change.

My best guess is that the two seperate projects are both going to be named SMTV, but with different sub-titles.

I played SMT on snes a while back but I never completed it and the PS1 version looked much better, is there an english version or translation of the PS1 release?

Yeah for the iPhone.

It's not surprising with the mobile gaming trend in Japan, I'm just shocked there's an English ANYTHING of it.

SMTxFE fun fact: the game was birthed from a failed pitch by Nintendo Producer Kaori Ando to make a Fire EmblemxPokemon game. This fell through due to the ongoing development of Pokémon Conquest, a crossover of Pokémon and Nobunaga's Ambition, as they felt it would be to similar. Ando redrafted the idea to a cross between SMT and FE, however Altus at the time was too busy with other projects to commit. Once they calmed down years later they re-opened the discussion, and SMTxFE began development in 2013.

The game's directors were Kaori Ando, Mitsuru Hirata(supporting developer for Strange Journey), and Eiji Ishida, who previously World on SJ and SMT IV.

Don't worry, he's lying. The iOS version is based off the worst version: the GBA port.

FExPokemon would have been great.

Really. How do you think that would've worked?

How is the iOS translation compared to the fanTL? I wonder if there are any major differences between them.

What a shame.
Conquest was okay, a sequel that polishes its problems would be great.
I still don't understand #FE, it is like this people don't get their fandoms. FEfags and Awakeningfags hate each other, same for SMTfags and Personafags. The game was catering for the later groups but they failed to realize that Personafags only care about Persona 3 and 4.

My guess is theyre going to remake smt 1. Which would be good, since it will finally be offically in english, hopefully.

Dunno. PP = Weapon Degrading? You collect moves by level up or TMs and keep them but only carry a select few at a time. The idea of using pokemon as tools of war so blatantly sounds good. Then again that sounds like SMT.

Probably cleaner but you don't get the charming lawfag's greatest hits like "try not to feel to bad" or "what do manchildren like you want with me?" The GBA version also has items that expand the background for the characters a bit so there's that.

I hope that actually ends up happening. I will fucking applaud.

If Atlus had the sense to put all their games on PC, they wouldn't have to censor shit anymore.

The only big difference between the two is aesthetic and how weaknesses in SMT give extra turns.

That layout on Giten gives me a bigger boner than the pixel titties. That is so clean looking, everything looks ordered, and tabs for easy shifting on PC.

I must play this.

It's not a Langrisser, it's just wearing Langrisser's corpse.

It's historically accurate, at least. Kaneko does a good job of researching the demons before he draws them and Diana is represented by some in literal tit armor.

where download smt that isn't 1 and 2

And then picked the single worst one of them all. Complete retards.

Goddamn I didnt even see him there until you mentioned it. Brabo Atlus.

And the Heralds shown are Kaneko's designs. That's a good sign.

Then again, this was only an early-development promo teaser, so everything might change for all we know.

P5 OST if anyone's interested.
archive.is/aHaPc

Thanks user.

Why not both? I mean Soul Hackers had diferent versions of some demons

Neat
Btw, pretty sure it was just an unrelated show, as it wasn't made in Japan

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Team
Feel free to look it up yourself if you still don't believe.

I'm gonna be honest, it does actually sound like the dub is improving. Like, the first videos had me seriously worried, but this sounds more like the old Persona dubs. Which, again, if you thought those were shit, then fine, I guess it's good we're getting dual audio. Still, I do think that sounds better than the older videos. Maybe they actually are redoing shit with the extra time.

I agree, but there still are some miscast, and I'm not sure what to feel about the protagonist that I've heard.

Does it matter inwhich order one plays SMT games? Story-wise and gameplay-wise, I mean. I've started with strange journey and am enjoying it so far. Is there a better place to start or to go to next?

Its not an exclusive faggot, that is confirmed.

everything they touched turned to gold
now everything they touch turns to shit
starting around devil survivor 2, all their shitty games have about as much depth and difficulty as a pokemon game. makes me sick to my fucking stomach.

Not really, each sub-series is a pretty different flavor of JRPG, through you will feel a sense of continuity in demon design, fusion, and focus on hitting the weakness.

The dream is alive

Strange Journey is a fine entry point. Most people recommend starting with Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, or Persona 3, but if you've already started Strange Journey and you're enjoying it, there's no reason to stop.
Strange Journey is my second favorite game in the whole franchise so it's easy to recommend.

Anyone know what the name of the song at the end of this PV is?

Even Masuko seems to like it.

Now that you bring it up, I was planning to do an SMT If… fun fact, but I couldn't get enough, so I'm just going to write about it.

Tsukasa Masuko wss a composer at Altus and worked on if… the school theme shown at the ending had lyrics written for it by Ryutaro Ito, based on his school's song. They weren't added as Masuko was unimpressed. Karukozaka's, the school in if… modeling was based on pictures from Ito's high school album, as they had no other visual resources. The Guardian system was designed by Katsura Hashino, if you know what gameplay element that refers to. If… is one of Kaneko's favorites, as he likes the uniformity of its designs and relatable story themes.

Atlus: Why the fuck are you censoring this game?

nichegamer.com/2017/01/18/utawarerumono-mask-of-deception-heads-west/

Whens Etrain Odyssey V

After Boss

never getting localized because etrian mystery dungeon didn't do well

You'd better be kidding. Wouldn't it be more tied to EOU2's sales?

Archangels you english-speaking pleb.

Daitenshi you baka fuck.

Got the instrumental version of Last Surprise that was in the trailer in Dancing All Night?

Bump

So, what's your favorite?

ive never played an smt game but ive always wanted to, which game should i play first?
i only have a PC and a 3ds(hacked)

It's hard to go wrong with Nocturne.

I'd say Devil Survivor.

*Devil Survivor: Overclocked

Persona 4: the Golden :^)
Digital Devil Saga is the easiest game that's still good, and emulates pretty well, iirc

DDS' encounter rate is high and somewhat exhausting. Plus I think it'd be better to be introduced the series with a game that involves the capture and fusion of Demons.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't give much of a "base SMT experience", since it's pretty different from most of the others. I don't remember the encounter rate being that bad, but I haven't played it in a while so I'll just assume you're right.

If you want some more clips to judge, AtlusUSA has been posting clips of DLC on Twitter. I

I should've expected it but it saddens me anyway

What DLC has voice clips? Isn't the DLC just costumes?

The clips depict costumes in battle scenes. So you get a glimpse of in battle dialogue.

What are you sad about? Its just costumes, battle BGM, 2 Thanatos and 3 Izanagi.

Persona 2 fun fact: the reason the original Innocent Sin was never localized was because Altus was debating heavily on wether or not TO localize it, as they feared the audience wouldn't get certain Japanese culture references, and also due to the presence of Nazi imagery. They eventually decided not to, and later asserted that the main reason was due to a shortage of staff and resources, as the team that could and would do it were already well into localizing Eternal Punishment, though they apparently did attempt to change this and bring IS over. Innocent Sin did not see official release overseas until the PSP updated re-release.

Atlus USA was in south Commiefornia so that's no surprise.

I just dislike DLC but I don't have my PS4 online so I won't have access to it anyway.

Well, I'm not going to argue with you. I just hope you weren't planning on using Jap audio.

That one is free, though. You don't need PS+ to DL shit. Just need an Internet connection.

I plan on being salty about everything that I can. I hope it was an issue with space rather than them just not wanting to put the content on the disc.

Last I checked to go online to download/buy content you needed the latest OFW and an internet connection neither of which I have on my PS4. Does adding the dl to your list and restarting the console work on PS4 like to used to with vita?

Oh if you're hacking your PS4 you're likely screwed, yeah. I'm saying saying if you have a basic bitch PS4 and a wireless router you can DL anything you want. DLC is not a PS+ exclusive feature.

I know, but he said his PS4 is "not online, so he wouldn't have access to it anyway". I assumed that meant no internet connection.

Who are you talking to?

Free DLC not being on disc for no real reason. The game has been delayed several times already, there isn't much of a point to not include free DLC unless they just didn't have space on disc. Were they planning to charge for Jap audio? Is it not included on the disc?

I'd recommend Nocturne to start out with.

Jap audio is a free download. And I think it's the only free DLC beyond pre-order/collector's edition/first print bonuses. Why it's not on disc? I couldn't tell you.

Well, that fucking sucks. Not enough to want to connect my consoles to the internet but a bit more than usual.

What cool weeb Atlus games are on Steam right now?

I'd like to see a trauma centre game in which the plot doesn't revolve around a biological weapon developed by a quasi-religious cult. Here's an idea: nanotechnology is a thing in that universe, right?

How about a game based on the world's nano machines are seized by an AI and the gameplay is based on de-assimilating people.

Also: why do SMT fans get so salty about persona?

You can literally search publishers on the store there you double nigger

I just want Trauma Team 2.

I wouldn't complain about that, but they'd need to shake the formula of the first game up to have a chance of it being a success.

I liked the characters and I especially liked diagnostics.

Because its vastly more popular and is easier for the more casual JRPG player to get into compared to a mainline SMT game. In P3 and P4's case the stories are more weeb so it gets a shit ton of praise by weebs for their dating sim elements. I think alot of it too is mainline fans fear persona outperforming the mainline games means future mainline games will be persona like and watered down in comparison to older SMT titles. You kind've already see that with how people complain about IV and Apocalypse.

I think the thing with Trauma Center eventually going into fake bullshit that doesn't make sense is because they apparently don't want to go too deep into actual medical procedures that can up the difficulty without going scifi and, at the end of the day, they aren't trying to be medically accurate.

Persona (particularly 3,4) took the good elements of SMT and inserted Grimdark edgelord psychology/school life bullshit into it, dumbed it down, and marketed it to faggots. Atlus now caters all the games in the SMT franchise (even the ones that aren't Persona) to these faggots. Anybody who complains about Persona being garbage is generally met with "you just aren't a real fan".

It would be a Switch exclusive, do you really want that?

Yes.

There are worse things in the world tbh

It could require a second set of controls to use as detached surgical tools to make sure Nintendo sells dem things.

Because "immersion" no doubt. Even though a single controller with ordinary buttons and such will eternally be more immersive than motion control.

I remember someone saying this wouldn't happen.

Seems there's no JRPG left without some major issue.

Trails would like a word. Unless you count not all of it being translated yet a major issue.

Well not translating it locks it out of the North American and European markets so I'd say so.

It actually just makes sure it flies lower than other higher profile JRPGs that eventually end up getting butchered localized for regional markets because

The Trails games are localized spectacularly, though…

They are currently only because the people localizing them actually care a little bit. But consider how easily that could change.

No one but a fan would be willing to put in the grueling work to translate a kiseki game.

Mainline Etrian Odyssey.

You could say that about anything. Hell, the only reason those games get localized is out of love for the series, they are sure as hell not making much from it. Besides, one of the main team members has gone on record saying that she doesn't like inserting internet memes into localizations.

until eo5 comes out and has all that annoying story crap from the untold games

Did people like this thread? Want another for when this one hits bump limit?

There wasn't a lot of angry SMT vs Persona bashing, so I was cool with it. You could make another if you wanted.

EO5 has no story mode though.

A lot of games get localized now because they were loved in the past and shit localization companies cash in on that with memetranslations and laziness and people will buy it because

Old games were localized terribly, user. See Lunar with its Bill Clinton jokes. XSeed actually made a much less bad and the Goons complained because it didn't have their 90s nostalgia in it.

Yes but it could be argued that back in the 90s there was a smaller/newer market for accurate/proper translations as opposed to now where it's less that people have no fucking clue what they're doing and more that they want to push views/censor shit.

I have no fucking clue how I keep responding to myself meant for

And on that note, we've pushed past the bump limit. I'll make another in a few hours or so. In the meantime, feel free to continue this convo here or take it to the Falcom thread, as I'd rather it not take over the start of an Altus thread.

New thread.

This thread was the final motivation to get into SMT, and I got some nice info as well. I liked it.

any sort of pack of all the smt games on pre ps2? 'd love to play them but it's a nigger to find them all

Isn't that all old games getting brought over after years of being Jap only? Call me when they start making new games.

Give it time and it'll eventually get infected by Persona too.

Who's ready to give up on English vidya?

On a positive note. Remember how Chie's new VA in Persona 4 Golden started off shitty, but you could clearly hear her improve over time? I'm predicting the same with this game. tfw even if the script isn't cucked up, Futaba might make me want to tear my ears off, even for a little while

Also, what's this from?

I swear that a few years ago there was some talk about bringing the original novels to NA, I remember that some people were asking for a KS to make it happen. Hell, even some editor from some company (or someone who really know how to business) were commenting on it.

Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe a link to where I red that?