ITT: games with entertaining or interesting weapon/item/armor galleries, descriptions, bestiaries, etc

ITT: games with entertaining or interesting weapon/item/armor galleries, descriptions, bestiaries, etc.

Soul Calibur II made me get really interested about the different kinds of weapons, and the glorious music helped get in the mood.
Aria of Sorrow had an entertaining bestiary, same goes for the item descriptions.

Other urls found in this thread:

e621.net/post/show/937648
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Shadow Hearts series does this very well, every item and equipment has a lore screen with a full illustration, as does the Bestiary and Characters/transformations.

bump

Risk of Rain is fantastic with items and enemies descriptions, it neatly complements visuals and gameplay building coherent game world as well as added characterization to playable classes.

Aria of sorrow is also impressive how every single weapon has its own sprite set with very few palette swaps, as opposed to SOTN where you had like 10, or less recolored weapons.

SMT games have cool mythology compediums

The Disgaea games have pretty cool item descriptions

I love how chef's ability descriptions are all about serving customers.

The Souls series' lore is built on item descriptions. If you want obscure, put-it-together-from-newspaper-clippings story telling you can't go wrong there.
The Witcher games also have decent bestiary stuff. You have to find books and read them to learn about the monsters you hunt, which unlocks their bestiary entry which contains lore as well as techniques for fighting them.

Chef? I haven't played ROR for years, did they add new classes since its release?
I got butthurt and quit when game refused to drop me last boss entry several times in the row preventing me from 100%-ing it.

How does going to hell make minotaurs stronger and red?

They aren't bitch niggers like yourself, so resistance only makes them stronger and redder.
They actually are bitch niggers.

Brimstone buddy. Brimstone stains the minotaur during it's stay in hell, and it also works as a growth hormone. It's like steroids for monsters. The redder they are, the meaner they are.
I used to love coming up with head-canon world-building bullshit like this when I was a kid. Still do, in fact.

Truer words were never spoken.

Mother fucking Dominions 3 and 4

Here's some more.

Far Cry 3 had some amusing weapon and character descriptions in its menus.

The Codex in DAO and its counterpart in Mass Effect.
The bestiary in the Witcher and the quests in the sequel.

That isn't real is it?

Castlevania always had weird monsters with cool descriptions.

That is actually quite real.

Pokemon

How long before Tumblr spergs out about this?

Fixed.
They already did

Yeah they added two new classes (CHEF and the loader) and a whole mess of items.
Go check it out.
No new maps, bosses or artifacts though.

I invite you to enjoy the comments

e621.net/post/show/937648

The fact that it's all written by a superpatriotic CIA operative makes it somewhat more humorous, especially when he keeps his own entry a mystery.

Everything about that character is fun.
>Jesus!

Is it a mod? The image doesn't look like it's vanilla

Well, now I'm sorry I asked.

It doesn't seem to be a mod, just a spell of a certain nation to break the seal of an ancient vault in their capital. However I haven't played them myself, too many factions, too little time.

How exactly would this piss tumblr off?

Anything that might conceivably make a man happy in any way will piss tumblr off.

Cucks aren't happy even if they think they're happy

How to beat this shit? Send to kokitos?

I guess, or just hope it crawls towards an enemy nation.

Castlevania Symphony Of the Night is great for it. The librarian has a bestiary and you can peruse all you want. Cool shit.

Oops forgot a cool bestiary pic.

Wario Master of Disguise is full of this shit.

All the Shin Megami Tensei games have really good ones, my favorite part of getting a new demon is reading it's entry in the compendium.

Planescape Torment also has a good one since it lets you see the full 3d model of I think almost every npc and creature type you meet in the game.

Bayonetta 1 & 2, The Wonderful 101, Castlevania: SOTN and Castlevania Lords of Shadow all come to mind.

Wind Waker has the sculpture gallery.

Do Mass Effect planet descriptions count?

I think DE:HR had detailed weapon descriptions.

Yeah the ones in ME1 were fun to read

Terrible shame what became of the series, though. Ah well, anything that is good will make money, and (((they))) will do anything they can to make more money, especially at the expense of those who had that thing popular in the first place.

does that thing's name literally mean "double-complicated penis"?

Atelier games have entertaining descriptions, and I like how they call common materials by other names, like Sea Puddle instead of what's clearly Petroleum song the description.
Also, being a Puni is suffering, no respect for those guys, going as far as doing Fresh Puni Juice from only squeezing a Puni with your grip.

Pikmin games generally have descriptions of everything you encounter, and Pikmin 2 goes a step further with it with the food-obsessed Louie cobbling together a complete cookbook for all the monsters on the surface of the planet. For this guy, Bulbmin:

"Grind the meat and season with allspice, salt, and ground white pepper. Press
the seasoned meat into meat satchels, then panfry them with onions. Prior to
serving, smother the brats with dijon mustard and saurkraut. Buns are
optional."

Hahahaha i never actually read the name but that awesome.

Inquisitor

I absolutely loved the scans in Metroid Prime 1, I always thought the scans in Echoes and Corruption were a bit lackluster compared to them.

yugioh tbh

It means "double head" in Latin.

The Shadow Hearts series has some neat flavor text. Starting in Koudelka with items having descriptions beyond just what they actually do, Shadow Hearts 1 added enemy/party member lore, with Covenant adding NPC lore as well (and FtNW retaining all of those too).

The DS game Avalon Code has a main goal of compiling an encyclopedia of what exists in the current world before it dies and is reborn. In addition to netting the player with usable codes, Code Scanning also creates a set of pages in the Book of Prophecy for the thing in question (map pages are generated by walking into a new area), resulting in a good amount of flavor text for the item/monster/NPC/item. While some of it is more useful for actual gameplay purposes, some of the flavor text provides some decent world building.

Rune Factory stands out in my mind at the moment.

I chuckled when I saw it.

this, but it's a shame normal monsters which where the ones with interesting descriptions are now long gone, instead now all cards have only their effect in the description. Art is still pretty good tho

Man, I really want another metroidvania. Hopefully Bloodstained can fill the void.
Kingdom Hearts have some fun and extensive stuff with bestiary. In fact, the journals have pretty good information overall, and some item descriptions are ok beyond "This item is this".

That's the localization?

I kind of want to see what the original Japanese text for that description is. Also, which entry in particular?

Depends on what was there in the original script. There's been a small share of times where meme-tier shit in some games has wound up being accurate to the original Japanese script as they sometimes pick up on western memes out there too("arrow to the knee" and that sort of shit). But again, it's circumstantial, and I'd wager most cases of it in eastern games coming west can be chalked up to the localization teams' editors and/or higher ups (who would have say over what goes or not).

I'd prove it to you, but I can't seem to find my RF4 cartridge.

kek. that's a really, really funny image. mind if i save it?

FUCK, Disciples had the coolest designs. It took your standard fantasy races and turned them into something fresh and interesting.

I remember Fable: The Lost Chapters having fun equipment descriptions that build on the story. Couple of items reveal that the in-game gods (Avo at least) are fake.

I can't find a good picture.

Brigador has a nice lore. I you can call lore the little descriptions of mechs, vehicles and weapons.

The game is good enough, by the way. Definitely worth a pirate

Is the first pic a reference to Scientology?

You forgot the spacer gun that causes cancer.

I don't know. Klencory got its description updated in ME3.

It's a subtle reference to the Reapers.

Hmm, RF3 had the same idea I guess.

That's a fitting reference I suppose.

I am pretty sure all laser weapons cause cacer

Did that weapon exist in Rune Factory 1 and 2 as well? Haven't played the series, but it strikes me that it could very well be a "legacy" description of sorts that was kept intact for the later games after the series left Natsume's hands.

the witcher has the best bestiary I have ever encountered.
I still modded it to have every bestiary entry unlocked though