Best Civilisation Game

Which Civilisation game is considered the best? Im after a low-spec, high depth and easy to learn turn based game.

Please suggest other games that fit that description. Does not have to be Civilisation style though.

Other urls found in this thread:

alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=260
alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=349
alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=340
alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=14308.0
webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/MoM/MoMIndex.html
strawpoll.me/5896774
nexusmods.com/fallenenchantresslegendaryheroes/mods/2/?
alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Main_Page
alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=17869.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If I'm not mistaken flavor of the current year is still Endless Legend and if that doesn't fit the bill be more specific on your spoonfeeding needs.

Civ 5
alpha centauri

havent played civ 4 but iirc its considered the best out of civ series.
Did play beyond earth and no one should repeat my mistake

As long as you mod it, otherwise shit's almost as shallow as V. Also if you do play it make sure to stay away from Civ4 Colonization.

I would recommend trying out Civilization 4 with Realism Invictus. You will never experience more complexity and historical accuracy in civ games than with that mod.
Consider trying out Galactic Civilization 3 and newest Master of Orion too, if you would want good space civ.

Endless has worst combat mechanic i ever encountered in those kind of games, and lowest amount of faction units you can make. Warlock 2 > Endless Legend in my opinion.
But "Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes" with XtraDeconstruct, Champion Bonanza, Black Market Bazaar and Children Of Storm mods is even better. Its so far the most complex and deep Master of Magic clone i ever tried.

>nigger's fall from heaven Fallen Enchantress
I've honestly not seen taste as shit as yours in months, if not years. May god have mercy on your soul.

I want to cum inside the cleopatra

Alpha Centauri, by far. No competition. It's essentially the sequel to Civilization's space race victory. The spaceship gets sabotaged before landing and the escape pods split up into seven different factions divided by ideology. So it's a sci-fi civ game, which is well-regarded both for its gameplay and its use of science fiction and philosophy. Gameplay wise it has the unusual option to let you design your own units and its social engineering system lets you switch gears and change your bonuses and penalties (as well as determine your income allocation to $$$, research, and happiness). As a word of caution, this is definitely the kind of game you will start one afternoon only to discover it's suddenly morning.

Word of advice: play classic mode first, not Alien Crossfire, since the design in the expansion is much dumber than the original so it's best to experience the game in its full glory first. Also make sure to install kyrub's patch on Alpha Centauri, yitzi's on Alien Crossfire, and PRACX on top of all that so the game has good resolution support and doesn't crash on newer OSs and hardware.

Kyrub: alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=260
Yitzi: alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=349
PRACX: alphacentauri2.info/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=340

Both Kyrub and Yitzi patches are built on top of scient's bugfixing patch. Yitzi's patch has more bugfixes and is only for alien crossfire, kyrub's patch has better AI enhancements and only works on classic. PRACX mostly fixes OS compatibility issues and adds more resolutions and a windowed option.

No you, you filthy weeb degenerate. Endless Legend is Faggot Age Cisquisition of 4x games.

alpha centauri
i liked civ3 best
endless legend really is good; it feels enough like civ to be instantly understandable but has a ton of genuinely interesting characters, factions, and gimmicks. sins of a solar empire is a good base for a simpler approach, and has some pretty killer mods. stellaris could be good one day once some good mods get made and get past the cucked devs
alpha centauri really is the perfect civ game in my opinion. it has the right level of scale, it has fantastic dune-style mindworms who are genuinely kinda scary, it has factions that are vastly different from one another, and it's comfy as fuck

Alpha Centurai and Civ 4:BTS are the best

What in the goddamn fuck am I reading.
Even if you don't like the combat system, you can simply press "Auto-Resolve" and it works like every other run-of-the-mill 4x game.
It has top tier soundtrack and ambience, every faction can play out 3 or 4 diferent ways, and there's plenty of elements mixed into the gameplay to keep you on your toes.
The only valid complaint about Endless Legend is that AI being sorta dumb and higher dificulties are just cheats for the AI players.
But then again, what other 4x game does it better?

The "Faggot Age of Cisquisition of 4X" is Beyond Earth with all it's multiculturalism and "acceptance". Even going full Nazi in that game gives a sort of "we're kinda of nazis, but not really that evil, just determined" vibe.
And I sure love farming hundreds of "+1 to this thing" bonuses. Man is that fun.

And fuck everyone on Holla Forums, Endless Space was pretty good too. Even the card shit was fun. Dumb, yes, but pretty fun regardless. Sabotage + Deflection + Repair is best card combo.

Forgot to put it on my post, but chalk another vote for that. I personally liked the expansion, but I liked it only to crush the alien bugs with my pal, Morgan Everett.

It's gotta be the best 4X all around. Some others do ambience better, or they have more mechanics and some have more detail on units.
But SMAC does everything well, and it's still a great game after all this years. Just get the resolution patches/fixes in and call in sick tomorrow, you won't leave your computer for a bunch of hours.

Alpha Centauri looks perfect. Cheers all. Any idea if the patches are necessary for Linux if run through WINE?

and
alpha centauri

You should still install them all. Kyrub and Yitzi patches fix out bugs and (in yitzi's case) improve the AI. PRACX isn't as strongly recommended with WINE but it adds better screen resolution support (and windowed mode, but you have it running under WINE) so even if you can get it running in WINE without PRACX you might want PRACX anyway.

Have you had this problem, user?

Play 4 with A New Dawn or if your rig can't handle it Legends of Revolution 0.9.8d+, the 0.9.9 version was edited by a leftist cuck that ruined it.

I am surprised no civilization game has a cat uprising in it yet, in an event known as the Catpoclypse. You get the feeling the devs have no fun.

Yeah, I think so too. But 4 has the best total conversions.

Nope.

Same. It comes with the Yitzi patch being modified by PRACX. With the standard terranx.exe + PRACX there are no problems. I guess the Yitzi patch alone is all right too, but I don't want to reinstall the game just to check it.

Endless Legend is the best civ game

Then why the fuck can't I find a torrent of it?

It's whatever the newest one that has all the expansions for it released.

So, 5, for now.

Mind copying your alphax.txt to tinyupload or pastebin?

What's the problem poorfag, can't you buy it?

(Noice)

Trips of truth do not lie.I will never not reccomend EL unless you say you absolutely cannot deal with combat, in which case you either auto-resolve or play AC or Any-Civ-before-V
I can see the appeal of ES but it just got really bogged down for me lategame.

Man they fucked up. Freeciv is the way to go.

Apparently there's a 1.08 version of PRACX on the forums. The link I provided was 1.07. Maybe 1.08 will work.

alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=14308.0

I think you can just rename the file and let the game rebuild a default alphax. I'm not sure mine would help anyway because I'm probably on an older version of yitzi and PRACX and I mostly play the classic game (terran.exe) rather than the expansion.

I'm kind of interested, but what makes the game such a standout compared to similar titles in the genre?

You are such a goddamn shill.

Unlike the previous few Civ games it's actually good?

Being better than the previous few Civ games is not an accomplishment.

The last few Civ games have been setting the bar low. Well, don't know about Civ VI, but Civ V, Civ IV, and Beyond Earth have all been disasters. Civ IV is only recommended for the mods iirc.

Nothing changes with updated PRACX, but thanks anyway.

Do you actually play videogames or do you just shitpost?

Sounds like someone had their feelings hurt.

By all accounts Civ IV's launch was awful. So was Civ V. They start off terrible then patch their way to playability, but even then they're not particularly good. When people talk about Civ IV it's instantly paired with recommendations for mods, which admittedly is a decent reason to get the game, but it doesn't mean the game itself was good.

Hoo boy, user. I can't vouch for Amplitude after their merge with Sega yet and I haven't touched ES2 yet to know, but Amplitude was my favorite dev of recent years. Shameless gushing incoming.

I could go on and on but this is already too much of a wall of text. There are issues here and there, yes, like the combat being very hit-or-miss, how easily you can break the game with custom factions, the one-city-per-region limit and quests which sometimes ask you to conquer cities in regions on the other side of the map, but When it comes to actual decision-making gameplay it is leages ahead of Civ V.

That's not true. Commerce can be good for Big Ben, Entrepreneurship, and Mercantilism. Exploration is worth a dip for the opener and Maritime Infrastructure. Patronage can be good for Scholasticism, cheaper city state relations, and the free great persons from the finisher. And Piety is very powerful depending on how you use it, particularly if you have high faith generation.

You don't need to go Tradition+Liberty either. They're both good picks, but having one of them is generally good enough.

IV at launch (yes I played it) wasn't terrible. At worst, you can say it was bland, but it was functional. and more importantly, playable and was moderately interesting. Certainly not the broken hot mess that was V at launch.

I'll admit I simplified and you are not just going to end the game at three policies, but starting anything that is not Liberty or Tradition is pointlessly setting yourself back. Honor is garbage. Piety is too slow to actually granting you bonus faith on anything so it is a "win more" for faith civilizations. Contrast Liberty and Tradition which grants you free culture and buildings and workers and happiness for nothing at all. You can build exactly zero culture buildings in the early game and still get ahead of everyone else because Liberty and Tradition give so much free shit with no strings attached.

AKA everything else in it is garbage and you are setting yourself behind by increasing the culture cost of every other future policy. Noob trap.

Scholasticism is garbage because city-states are garbage and barely produce any science of their own. "Cheaper city state relationships" is pointless when you are flooding with gold lategame. Free great people is good but they are random when you really want to specialize what great people you really NEED for your victory and simply not enough to invest into the entire tree when you can simply take Rationalism/Aesthetics to simply finish the game off on your own terms.

Commerce is okay, but if you are not going for the trinity first and foremost you are just playing suboptimally. There are no actual hard decisions to be made in Civ V - just free shit because the devs realized the game would not catch anybody's attention for long if you didn't search some ruins and get free culture/population/faith.

Sure, but you really only need one of them.

Too true.

That's because Piety really isn't about generating faith. It's more about cashing in on faith.

Not really. Sacred Sites can deliver extremely fast culture victories (esp. if playing Byzantines). Heathen Conversion can be abused by intentionally lowering your happiness into spawning revolt barbarians to give you free armies every turn. Jesuit Education can accelerate your science with faith and you unlock Piety long before Rationalism. To the Glory of God lets you purchase all Great Persons with faith. Religious Fervor (buy industrial units) is shit though. Faith costs get multiplied up by the era, so those units are absurdly expensive and it's cheaper to buy GPs than common units with that. Jesuit Education also suffers from this, but it still gives you a leg up on science and finishing rationalism is a given anyway (so you can buy Great Scientists without the reformation). JE is mostly done to turn massive faith into catching up on science.

Also finishing Piety ensures that Great Prophet tiles produce +3 culture, +3 gold, and +6 faith. Since you can pop GPs fairly easily (especially with Messiah or Reliquary as your Enhancer) and you can cash in on GPs further with a Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, it can be rather profitable to make a bunch of GP tiles. Especially since culture generation and gold tiles are rarer now.

It's usually best to go Liberty into Piety since Liberty is good for expansion and you can pop a Great Prophet with the finisher if need be. If you're choosing To The Glory of God then you don't need the Tradition finisher for Great Engineers either.

Sure, but those two policies are worth grabbing. Faster ships and +3 production on coastal cities is legit.

It depends on how wide you are going. If you are going very wide the benefit of Scholasticism is comparatively miniscule, but if you are playing as Venice or shit Scholasticism has very noticeable effect on your research speeds.

Depends on how you set up your trade routes. I'm a sucker for using naval cities and having internal trade routes so I can give cities massive food and production bonuses (you get double the bonuses from naval routes) so my income is a lot weaker.

The rewards may have gotten worse now that the Great Artist got split into 3 different artists and now that you no longer hurt everyone else's citystate relations through the finisher, but in my experience you typically get at least 5 GPs by the end of the game with that finisher, and you can even get special GPs like the Khan or Merchant of Venice.

Rationalism is a must-have, though. No arguing that.

Mostly depends on how much money you have.

Science wins games and enables win conditions. Its the best resource.

I always do full Tradition into Patronage for 25% city state science, then Rationalism for a few more science bonuses. You get so much food and culture from having citystates you just snowball so hard. I usually play on difficulty 6 and can have games where I dont get attacked unless my neighbor is a warmonger

I kind of agree, you do have an entire faction of lesbians and trannies (fucking read the forgotten hero descriptions already), plus vaulters stronk independent celtic woman who don't need no man. I also went from a drakken game to a morgawr game, if I see the word "she" again I'm going to scream.

Stop trying to meme the next giant death robot

I'm seeding one right now, granted it's old because I don't like the patches applied to my legit copy.

At least somebody knows why EL shills are fucking faggots. Add to it shit combat with little control over, 4 units maximum per faction, orc and dwarf factions as unplayable, with literally 1 unit per minor settlement. And no magic in a game that's heavily inspired by Master of Magic. Notice how shills constantly compare it to CIV, instead of MoM and its other clones, when it has little to do with CiV in the first place, its like recommending skyrim to stalker players. And it seems "unique" only because its a spinoff of sci-fi Endless Space series.

I can post cool shots with research tables too.

Civ 2 for REALLY low spec (still fun) but Civ 4 Beyond the Sword is where it's at.

Either Civ IV or Alpha Centauri.
Alpha Centauri is the lowest spec, IV probably has the most depth and V is the easiest to learn.

Piety's problem is its split personality: half of its policies benefit going tall and the other half going wide. Also if you're playing against the AI on actually challenging difficulties they'll get such massive bonuses to faith generation that you'll be last to get there anyway if you don't choose a faction entirely revolving around religion (in which case shit is different).

Have you tried ctrl and alt right-click? Alt-right-click forces the unit to attempt to move to an occupied tile, ctrl-right-click queues an attack order so you can tell your unit to move to a specific tile then attack a specific enemy.

6. 3 faction-specific units, and up to 3 assimilated minor faction units selected from a pool of 15 minor factions. I'd also argue that a lower raw number of units with greater differences between each unit type allows for greater variety of gameplay than a larger number of similar units.

Negrophages and Vaulters. :^)

Yes. That is the reason it "seems" unique. Because it is unique, or at least different enough from the standard fantasy fare to stand out.

There's no reason to play real Civ 2 if you can live without sound, music and the satisfactory UI, just play Freeciv.

So how does 5 hold up? Will the expansions improve it\fill in missing featurs?

You guys should also see this game list:
webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/MoM/MoMIndex.html

I know its a shitty website, but its a good place to see how many games in same genre exist, instead of focusing on Endless Legend alone so much.

5 is almost at the age where people are starting to think it's good for some reason. it was never very good and 4/3 are miles ahead of it, and never listen to anyone who says otherwise

It's Fall from Heaven II. Anyone who disagrees hasn't played it.

Not really. Piety is usually no good anyway unless you are cranking out large amounts of faith to begin with, so it mostly favors going wide, and it would be a bad idea regardless of AI level if you have lousy faith generation. The value of Piety also rises a lot with a desert or tundra start or if you have multiple natural wonder tiles.

That said I mostly play multiplayer because the AI is cancer.

It crashes too often for me.

Alpha Centauri, there is no contest at all.

AC is as close as you will ever practically get to a perfect game, and all other 4X games don't even come close to it.

C-evo > Freeciv

I wished there was more to it. I wished it could've dethroned Alpha Centauri. But it's pretty good for what it is, compared to modern Firexis games. Still… AC is what comes to mind when it comes to best

Depends on what you're fond of

you sound oppressed

5 was shallow and shit when it launched vanilla, but even 4 was pretty eh when it first launched. 5 complete is fine.

Bought, downloaded and installed Alpha Centauri. Which is best faction?

Depending on your playstyle and personal tastes. Greenies are a good choice for newbies. Having captive mindworms early is a huge advantage. Or try that designated street shitter Lal. Bigger base limit and double population votes in the planetary council are cumulative.

Don't play factions from the expansion, they are cartoonish and overpowered. Despite a hardon for Aki Zeta-5.

Just looking at the screenshots, you might be right.

Velociryx's strategy guide is uploaded above if you're interested. It pretty much defines SMAX strategy. Pretty much any classic faction works well played right. Crossfire factions are an imbalanced mess though.

When it comes to the most noob-friendly factions, I guess Gaians and University are more noob-friendly. Gaians are a rounded faction who have the economic advantage of a very nice efficiency rating and the military advantage of capturing mindworms (high planet rating increases capture chance and lets you capture more worms). Only downside is they don't get the powerhouse wealth generation that Free Market economics provides. University works fine too, they have great research but shitty probe and drone problems. For the most part just make sure to rush The Virtual World to handle drone problems (maybe Human Genome Project too) and enjoy your high research bonuses which will naturally put you ahead of the competition. Talents and psych bonuses are valuable for reducing drones, which Zak otherwise gets a lot of.

Lal is playable at lower difficulty settings but it's generally more of a high-skill faction if you want to develop advantages with your faction bonuses since his strengths require a bit more work to develop. For instance, with extra talents you may want to invest in psych, Human Genome Project, and The Virtual World to cause golden ages (+2 growth, +1 econ) in all your bases which you can then combine with a Wealth social value to give your bases the energy output of Free Market economics while running Democracy and Green economics for high industry and planet rating. You also want to take advantage of his doubled votes in elections to be planetary governor to seize the bonuses that position provides which means you'll want a solid number of high-population bases (which in turn requires more investment to keep the golden ages going). Alternatively you can just give up on golden ages and use your bonus talents as free drone suppression to reduce the need for psych buildings but drones are more of a problem at higher difficulty levels. Human Hive is a good faction but the Hive plays strongly to a heavy base-spamming strategy where you drown your enemies in armies. Morganites also play more to base-spamming since lower population caps means you want more bases to make up for the shortfall.

Believers and Spartans are straight warmongering factions. Believers have awful research and Spartans suffer from a bad industry score. Both of them are mostly good at starting a war and demolishing their enemies, but you could still play a builder game with both of them if you play to their strengths carefully.

Personally I like Gaians because I like high efficiency and mind worms.

Don't play Alien Crossfire at all for your first playthrough. Not only the factions but even the techs and secret projects from Alien Crossfire are cartoonish. It's better to play classic mode (terran.exe) than alien crossfire (terranx.exe) when first playing the game.

What about PlanetFall and Dune Wars mods for civilization 4?

Not even a contest. Yang comes close secondDeidre a whore

Top shelf.

Well, not like they are worse than beyond earth though.

The main fault BE had was the absolute shit tier AI. The bloody thing could barely cope with the Civ IV mechanics and they put it up against modular unit upgrades, timed quests, one unit per tile with hazard terrain, units designed to exploit fov and weird ass mechanics like emergent bonuses and moving bases. Unbelievably bland factions and societal directions didn't help. Which is kinda funny considering SMAC was also pretty vague and ambiguous

Your elemental on the other hand was sold, as what, five different games? It still looks like shit, it still plays like shit and last time I checked it it still runs like shit. Frankly the only not shit thing about it is how they got Paxton, an ex fa/tg/uy and a specialist for Civ IV scenarios to write the fluff for them.

4 is the best but I prefer the simplicity of 5

Civilization 4, particularly the Rhye's and Fall mod scenarios, is pretty much the best. It'll also run on toasters and is objectively the most "deep" of the Civ games. If you mod 5 to bardo and back, it's decent, but still not as good as 4.

So, this is why you consider its bad, performance and graphical imagery. Well, i agree completely on that note, while liking mods for the last game, XtraDeconstruct alone which i mentioned adds shit ton of stuff in it. I like ability to completely customize all your units, your race, your characters and get interesting unique results. Great for necromancer playthrough too.

You dislike mods in general, same with civ iv mods, do oyu?

I don't follow, but no, I don't dislike mods. I don't even have the foggiest where you got that idea.

But what I absolutely hate about elemental and which unlike graphics and broken (and cut) mechanics I can't get past is how it's the fallout 4 of 4x games. Hyped and shilled to high heaven as the fantasy strategy to end all fantasy strategies but was absolute flop, and their answer? Censor criticism, repackage and resell.

What, it's still bland shit? Fuck you - here's another full priced (re)release. And two more after that for good measure.

Speaking of 4x, tried Pandora?

This looks interesting, going to put on download.

Dune Wars is pretty much the best mod made for Civ 4.
I really want to like Planetfall. The graphics are awesome. The open ended tech tree is interesting and the faction design is excellent, but in the end it's just too unbalanced. A lucky start practically wins itself and an unlucky one can be auto-lose. The units doesn't all seem that thought through and that idea with tying the Cult of Planet to a wonder is fucking stupid even if it was interesting for the developers to implement.
Compared with that everything in Dune Wars just works, both technically and gameplay-wise. Which is a god damn miracle given the amount of dev drama this mod went through.

BTW, make sure you get Dune Wars Revival. That's the latest version.

It looks like CiV, plays like Civ IV and has just enough new shit to make it interesting.

Tanks are generally op, avoid building on the coast whenever you can and specialize. Dedicated bio killers, dedicated tankhunters, dedicated farming bases and so.

We by the way, in 2017 get at least 5 games of this genre.

Endless Space 2
Oriental Empires
Dominus galaxia
Stars in Shadow
Dawn of Andromeda

All early access, holy shit.

which elemental: war of magic spin-off is that?

It's just limited to the "pain wizard" guys whose actual name I can't recall.

shoo shoo sjw

Does anyone have a recommendation for maximum dust gathering as morgawr? I'll be able to get trade going over the ocean and I have a cities on rivers, would I get more from my mediocre population with a cultist, a broken lord or a beetle jews governor? Simpler question, is trade worth is versus working dust or maxing tile yields?

Also, friendly reminder that best faction was written and designed by fans and patched into the game afterward

thanks

i like to play as the broken lords and once you've got trade routes researches you'll be rolling in dosh. i have seven cities in my current game and they're producing buildings so fucking fast they can't keep up with my research, so i've moved civs to dust and science production. i make about 350 dust a turn, but bear in mind my army is only about twelve units strong and most of those are garrisoned

Yes, 5 complete is good. The AI is still retarded but other then that most of the big issues with it are fixed by them.

Ignore contrarian nostalgiafags like

5 is pretty subpar honestly. Civilizations are unbalanced, natural wonders are imba where some suck and others will pretty much win you the game if you discover them early, espionage system is a joke especially compared to older Civs, religion system is a shitty first-come-first-serve rush where you can't get the same beliefs if someone else already got them and if enough people popped religions ahead of you, you don't even get to make your own religion. There are no settings to fix this (or prevent natural wonders from spawning), not even hidden settings. A lot of social policies are imbalanced (Honor tree is a joke even for hardcore warmongers and Rationalism is a must-have for everyone). 1 unit per tile is micro-heavy once you start spamming large armies and the Civilization units and map are clearly not designed with consideration for that kind of tactical combat. Moreover the AI is cripplingly retarded in general and complete fail at 1UPT and will usually feed you a steady stream of troops 1 by 1 into your fortified position of archers. The Brave New World expansion adds a limited number of International Trade Routes which are fixed for 20 fucking turns and you cannot prematurely cancel or reassign them unless you declare war on them or someone pillages your route. Unit experience actually has an interesting system that could let you pick their levelup bonuses with serious options once you level your troops really far, but you can only level up to a limited point against barbarians (barracks don't raise that cap) which is before you unlock the good options plus most people burn their combat levelups on healing the unit right now instead of developing the upgrades needed to get the cool abilities down the line, and any unit with that much war exp is probably long dead before he unlocks anything good. Happiness also exists mostly to punish players for growing or expanding or conquering too quickly and encouraging them to sit on their asses and do nothing like a bunch of casuals. Since vanilla a number of sources of happiness have been added to the game to make it a less horribly crippling mechanic but the idea of it is still fairly dumb overall. The game is best played multiplayer but the netcode sucks ass meaning the multiplayer occasionally crashes, permanently freezes, or has strange netsplits where half the players spontaneously disconnect. It does these things less frequently now after all the patches, but it still happens.

With all the expansions Civ 5 is actually playable but there are easily better Civs out there. On launch it was some of the most boring fucking shit ever created where you spent your turns doing basically fucking nothing.

Best civ: Civ 4
Best mod: Fall Further

P.S.: For me civ5 was a fucking disaster… should i try civ6? It promised a few good feature anno….

Mein ficking Neger. It's the best.

Civ6 is worse than Civ5 at launch. Let that sink in. From what I've seen its about as dead as Beyond Earf right now.

cancerous.

stop playing on Prince, pleb. And install the Artificial Unintelligence mod at least. also, play with random personalities (instead of the prefixed ones) so you can't predict what the other faggots are going to do just based on who they are (this is the option I miss the most in Civ 6)

FFH2 was the shit. Svartalfar best faction.

It's almost like you're asking for your betters to come and put you in your place, elf.

Fallen Enchatress is a great game. 100X better than EL.

Civ6 is dead, Jim. Casuls who wanted MP preferred Civ V because it's actually working and has GMR. Casuls who wanted SP quickly got bored of the broken (and pisseasy) AI.

This is all true.

Nice naming conventions, chap!

Is there a simulation game with a focus on managing trade and economy for a city or country? I like the idea of eg importing wood or oil and exporting stuff.

Nothing GSG. Probably not 4X but I didnt want to make a new thread

Come back when it's finally stable. It pisses me off when several hours' worth goes down the drain after its crashing randomly without any warning or reason. Or maybe it's the fault of the modmod I was using, and not of the mod itself?

Of those I know the closest was the Anno series. Or maybe some obscure, decades old games with antiquated control scheme and GUI that I barely recall.

The Patrician series, although I have no idea how good the most recent games are.

Its in space, but Star Ruler 2. Most of the game you manage import, trade, improve your diplomatic position in space and tweak economy, you will have to deal with lots of resource micro management from planet to planet, waging war is the last thing you care about, especially on big sized galaxies.

Really, really awful. They somewhat managed to recapture Tropico but the new and improved Patrician and Port Royale are some of the worst games I ever played.

We talking Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom tier or something more strategic? Victoria or the Imperialism series would also probably fit.

The game has few problems that bug me:

FE:LH is not a good game, it requires a lot of polishing made by a professional studio, while having some basic potential and kinda allows you to roleplay what you want. After all stardock is a fucking studio that makes visual applications for your windows desktop, not a proper game studio.

Endless Legend is much more polished, doesn't lag and has distinctive differences between races, and even race unique quests for fucks sake. And AI doesn't suck as much. Its a nice tradeoff for combat.

There's also Planar Conquest, but i didn't tried that one.

Talking about FE, you don't know, but if you didn't pirated it, it had awful DRM where you needed to be both registered on Steam website AND on Stardock own service.

Talk about shitty studio.

Talking about FE, you don't know, but if you didn't pirated it, it had awful DRM where you needed to be both registered on Steam website AND on Stardock own service.

Talk about shitty studio.

According to this strawpoll Civ5 is the best.
strawpoll.me/5896774

According to me you are a huge faggot.

From what I understand 3 and 4 are, with 4 generally being considered the best. Star Ruler 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire are also pretty good too. It depends on the shit you like honestly, there's a bunch of pretty good games in the genre. If you're looking for other games that are a lot like Civ then CK2 and EU are good choices too, as long as you don't mind half the game being having been cut into a million expensive dlcs that is. Also Total War too, or if you'd like castle building then Stronghold is good too only get the first two and Crusader though

xD

You are a fucking retard!
For me and my friends and colleagues it's never crashed. No cry even on the firaxis forums about crashing. Do you know firaxis forum faggot? It's a cry fest over every-fucking-thing!

Thats not the Sidar you pointyeared faggot!

svatalfar are the spider fuckers in the cave the fantasy goth basement dwellers not the forest hippies

Heil to you neger!

This is how your post looks like.

And not Archos, aka the literal cave spider fuckers?

To be fair stock Fall from Heaven 2 is very polished and stable. Your modmod, is it RiFE?

Definitely Anno, since it's all about managing supply chains there.

And this is how your post looks like

How is it for flavor and lore, will it distract me from the fact I'm alone in my room with no pants staring at a screen at 3am?

It would be true if I were advertising that like you.

Unfortunately, yes.

Civ 3 visually is still best

Well, FfH2 surely has some degenerate races to deal with…

I have the GOG version of Alpha Centauri do I need these patches?

Thanks I'll take a look when I'm done wasting away in bed

Get well soon user! Drink some tea with lemon and honey!

4 is the best, 5 is the worst

2,3,6 are good for different reasons, they focus on different things

1 is just oudated

6 is objectively worse than 5.

Nice dubs.
Excellent.

Civ 4 is the best for strategy (and it can run on a windows tablet)

Civ 3 is the best for actual world-building, and graphically, it's really fucking charming. Civ 3 is my personal favorite, because it really makes me feel like i'm building an unique empire to stand the test of time.

Civ 5 and 6 are fucking trash. 6 in particular doesn't feel anything like building an empire, but like a slightly more intricate game of tourney pokemon, using the same 10 pokemon because stats.

I always said i would make a porn game that played like Civ. Thanks for reminding me of that, I'm going to go work on that now

They are all facebook games with needlessly intensive graphics.

sorry that any game that doesn't require you to "press A to see more cutscenes" or "shoot [insert lame enemy fodder] with your [insert war gun that shoots just the same as any other war gun] online" is lost on you

My least favorite kind of retard is the one that's convinced he's actually smart.

Any good game like FE where i can make my own civilization, heroes and shit?

play the last good Civ game, Civ 2

You can at least avoid using a blatant strawman.

Care to explain your basic concept?

Nuke

Do you need seasoning to your meals?

What does it mean in Alpha Centauri when it says I'm only mining two minerals from a silhouette which is much bigger than two minerals.

The ingame "help" feature is great, but doesn't seem to cover this.

boner

You might have some malus applied somewhere. Check your social engineering.

You have a limit for every kind of resources gathered from a single map square. You lift that limit when you research certain technologies, one for each type of resource. It's the most visible for squares with bonus resource icons. Also, you can't exploit xenofungus-covered squares before researching respective technologies if you don't remove fungus first.

Nostalgia, mate. I still have my Civ 2 CD. :)

Yes.

That's a faction hero you get with the mod.
And there should be an umlaut in the name, so it's pronounced differently.
But yes…
"It puts the lotion on his sword. And then stick it in again."

nexusmods.com/fallenenchantresslegendaryheroes/mods/2/?

EL is a shit that's all about style and has no substance

Fucking kek, the objectively best factions are Lanun and Hippus (especially the latter). Lanun economy is unbeatable and Hippus can take out half of the other civs in the first 150 turns.

Civ 5 vanilla was trash but complete is good.

What are you smoking? Exactly what this game has is a substance, lots of various weather effects, cruel as fuck winter, lots of differences in playable races, completely different technologies, extremely diverse playstyle, unique quests, lots of lore and story, great diplomacy and extreme city building that can take forever to max out. In last dlc they even added realistic calculation of naval unit characteristics and water!

Name at least one 4x that counts in weather and environment as this game does.

Civ2 was always my favorite for its fucking great sci-fi and fantasy campaigns. But barely anyone mentions the second one, is there something about it i'm missing or is it that nobody actually played it?

I bet there are people who still play civilization 1, so i am not surprised. But again, free alternatives of civ2 seem to be more popular than original.

shame, the space campaign had different planets you unlock and can cycle between at certain technological levels and winning the space race, first you alpha centurai, then you a new planet and then some ethereal plane when you awake deep elder space gods and have to fight them in their dimension

The trouble is that you played the Civ 2 remake by a 3rd party developer which the rest of us skipped out on because we were playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri by the Civ developers instead.

The original Civ 2 didn't have those campaigns.

I always thought it weird when I found it at the bottom of a pile of games in an unmarked black box back in 2003

Alpha Centauri is objectively the best civ game by miles

At the start of the game all your tiles are limited to a resource cap of 2 per type. The silhouette indicates that you have a tile which is producing resources above your cap and showing what you are missing out on. Without researching the appropriate techs for lifting resource caps, the one exception to resource caps are natural resource tiles (nutrient resources, mineral resources, energy resources). These tiles do not have a resource cap for their associated bonus type.

A common cause of having a large silhouette obscuring 2 minerals is that you finished The Weather Paradigm which lets you develop all kinds of high-end tile improvements long before you research the appropriate techs and then built a thermal borehole. Boreholes produce 6 minerals and 6 energy (but no nutrients) in a single tile and would create massive silhouettes. If you make them on a resource tile they are great but otherwise you need to research your way to lift resource caps.

Those techs are:
Gene Splicing: 3+ nutrient tile yields
Ecological Engineering: 3+ mineral tile yields
Environmental Economics: 3+ energy tile yield and you can terraform terrain up and down.

Ecological Engineering also lets you build Boreholes + many other improvements and Environmental Engineering lets you terraform terrain up and down. If you have The Weather Paradigm you can do all of that without researching the techs. Gaians are the best faction for completing The Weather Paradigm as they start with its requisite tech.

While you're at it why not mention the impact of roads on minerals, the rivers on energy, the humidity/height on food/energy and the importance of abundant tiles in relation to early game and resource caps.

For bonus points talk about why's efficiency and support so important, why psych can make or break you and when's overproduction or eco-damage a good thing.

It's really not, and you should really try responding to some of the criticism posted in this thread.

Sorry dude. It's your turn to write the fullblown terraforming guide. I'm just going to leave my lazy guide to terraforming:

1) Forests good.
2) Boreholes good.
3) Echelon mirrors good.

Thank you.

As for efficiency, it's all in the datalinks. For psych, you mostly look at the advanced Drones page. For efficiency, you only need to look at the advanced inefficiency page and the bureaucracy page. Other than that the main perk of efficiency is that you can dedicate larger amounts of your economy to a single goal without suffering penalties (and vice-versa).

Other than that I already posted Vel's SMAC guide in so he can look at that for more advanced strategies. And there's alphacentauri2.info/wiki/Main_Page

DONT

just don't nigger, it's fucking terrible right now. The AI attacks before classical and then turns 400 percent limp-dicked. PRoduction is completely fucking low, and it's KING now. Forget science, it's all about production to enable you to build districts. End game wonder production IS SOOO SLOW, that even in high production cities, they cost like 70 FUCKING TURNS.

It's embarassingly unfinished and unpolished. Shoved out the door with such glaring flaws that it just fucking HAD to be noticed

Try Anno 1602, establishing a colon, etc. it's kinda old, but fun!

Civ V with all expansions is okay. Not great, okay. kind of comfy

webm unrelated

Commerce is okay, occasionally nice , especially with the finisher, and cheaper purchasing really helps out. But yes, tradition and rationalism are basically the best choices every (liberty is OK, but tradition is just king) and it's hugely frustrating how they did nothing to improve the subpar trees.

What. Who's a nigger here by all means? Aren't that you? Civ 6 is objectively better than Civ 5 by miles, at least shit on them both then.

No, explain to me since when Civ 6 is worse than 5? They returned towns around cities, improved road building, you can stack units into armies. In everything else there's no real "downgrade" from civ 5.

No, nigger, Civ V is too shallow, but it's okay, Civ VI has promise, but right NOW it's utter shit. I need a shitload of ai fixes and some balance patches before I'll try it again. I will freely admit that Civ VI is going to be better

The AI doesn't compete properly after the first rush, and it's way too carefull with it's units. It can't push for shit. I get the part of unit conservation, but really the balance is off.

The early game is fun, but the game completely fucking DIES in lategame where it becomes a fucking long ass slog, a countdown to victory.

I like the improvements, mate, but you cannot deny the game's broken as fuck right now in SP

How do I run Alpha Centauri on Win 7? I remember trying to get it work using some unofficial patches but never succeeded.

Sounds like too much work, my mane.

Like our good fried todd used to say it just works. /scurv/ the gog version and get the patches posted earlier for best results

Civ V is good when you want a game you can play without thinking and just push buttons and make things happen and always eventually win. Sometimes you get an unusual build or victory and that can be fun. But its good when you just want to zone out or whatever

As Morganites, is it in my best interest not to be at war with other factions so that I can get the commerce bonus?

Also, how does the commerce/trade bonus even work? In my current game I have three alliances and I seem to only be getting trade benefits in one city.

Is Civ 6 finished yet?

Tried that, game still crashe…
. . .
Okay, it works now, thanks.

It's working for me just fine.

If by "finished" you mean "dead", yes.

For a commerce bonus, a truce isn't good enough. You need a treaty of friendship to trade and a pact if you want to double your commerce bonuses. See datalinks. Advanced Commerce gives you the whole formula for commerce bonuses.

The short end of it is that commerce pairs off a faction's most profitable cities in descending order (no city to pair with = no commerce) and gives them bonus energy depending on the energy production of both cities paired together.

Try the patches I linked above. Other than that, consider checking the Alpha Centauri.ini file in the game folder and set ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1.

Civilization 3 is objectively the best.

Civ 4 with that one caveman 2 cosmos mod is p good too

Capitalism Lab

not kidding

HA HA, TIME FOR CHINKS

GRORIOUS YERROW EMPIRE STLATEGY GAMU BEST

IRAND NIGGERS NEED NOT APPRY

BUY NOW GWAILO, NO RAGRET

CHINA WIRR GROW RARGER

It's strange knowing being blind would be a virtue in modern society so I don't have to see them destroy any semblance of aesthetics, utility, or efficacy in UIs.

Man, I wished Firaxis would actually release a non-broken game instead of selling it on a fucking PROMISE.

I like it, it's a good mix of the current "lol minimalism" trend and vaguely oriental aesthetic, more so in the tech screens and so on.

It serves it's purpose… The only major beef I have is that some things are bugged right now, like changing view to an event - you have to manually search for looted farms.

The unit flags are a holdover from Total War Medieval 2, because the main goy who made this game worked on that too (and the other early TW games).

This is fucking magic.

I could swear I know that game

stop lying

Go check out the general or look up some gameplay videos, the game has huge depth and runs on a toaster, although it may take a while to learn. The depth is seriously wacky, you can have a giant Kraken as your preteder god (basically your leader), then give it an amulet that lets it breathe on land, and 4 giant flaming swords and let it cleave through swathes of infantry. You can capture hordes of virgins to perform blood magic, you can play giant man-eating Jews who are particularly adept at said blood magic. Nations range from African KANGZ to Starspawn, monkey people, Japanese Demons and Merfolk. Basically if you like stategy you have to give it a try, even if it turns out to be 2autistic4u.

I know it's Early Access cancer, but does anyone know how Endless Space 2 is shaping up?

Pretty good considering its early access.

Oriental Empires, gweilo
Buy now, it's early access :^)
Lacks only multiplayer and some polish

I do really want to buy this game but it's early access so I will not.

I actually reverse searched it awhile back but didn't we used to have a bunch of threads on this around april or may?
mega:///#!u5pXiTzJ!6QwfGEQ14YnCYGxsRO5zk7oGZL41AUA_SIH1UYDFMxI

And no one mentions Call to Power?

CTP had lots of neat ideas and mechanics but wasn't as good at combining them into a cohesive whole as 2, 4, or SMAC. I'd love to have stuff like its slavery mechanic in a better game, though.

Feels so bad to see all these new CIVs coming out and no one ever bothers to sqeeze in all that awesome content they had back there.

I don't recall ever seeing any.
I might make one later as a Holla Forums-plays if the Jew doesn't shoah those kinds of threads, there's a lot of intredasting stuff in the game to show off.

HOLY SHIT THERE IS SMAC IN SMAX
alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=17869.0

Thanks for the link, but I think I will play it once it has gotten out of beta for the comfiest experience.

Noice.

Recently started playing Endless Legend. I've been enjoying it so far, but the AI is retarded at best. Does the behavior change with the difficulty or just give the AI more resources?

The AI just gets more resources. It never makes good decisions, it just gets more cheat monies. Which means that even on really high difficulty levels, playing against the AI is just a game of surviving until you get enough research and infrastructure to outproduce its cheats. I would seriously consider playing multiplayer; turns are simultaneous, so even in games with large numbers of humans there's less waiting than you'd expect.

The R.E.D WWII mod for Civ V is pretty good, like a Hearts of Iron total conversion for the game involving supply lines, manpower, and oil. Painting the map around enemy armies and grinding them to bits is satisfying.

SMAC. Probably the high water mark of the whole damn genre.