Is Dark Souls 3 the first Souls game to 'die'?

Is Dark Souls 3 the first Souls game to 'die'?

So whats the deal? The game itself is kind of the worst. Constant human undead stuck to sheer walls like spiderman to drop down as like 80% of the games "traps", a dull brown world outside of Irithyll which i will admit is gorgeous if a repeat of Yharnam, everything outside of the Pontiff Sullivan subplot is "REMEMBER DS1 XD" fan service, memes in game and in all the media with the solemn tone of Demon's and Dark 1 lost and so on. Its not the worst game ever made but its a step down in many regards.

But that doesnt really explain why its another in the long list of recent big releases that has died a quiet death. Halo 5, No Mans Sky, Battleborn, Umbrella Corps. Lots of high profile brands shit the bed. So if DS3 is even in the same league then some shit hit the fan.

What do you think went wrong? Pointless weapon arts for the sake of change? Trying to adopt Bloodborne traits into a game designed around patience, careful forethought and practice? simply being a soulless cash in?
I just expected the "im such a nerd omg pls rayde and subscorb :DDD" normalfag crowd to keep the numbers up for a while since they will swallow any old shit in the name of brand loyalty.

I love all the other games but sold DS3 soon after beating it and finding i had no incentive to ever touch it again, was the DLC trash? or did pvpers just go back to DS2 and sunbros go back to their mmos and monhun?

Why do you think this was the one that actually died?

No.

This thread wont go far because from my expirience the average user here who plays Souls is a dumb faggot who plays offline anyway.

With that point I say fuck off to reddit where all the PvP faggots bitch and moan about it. It's the PvP community's fault complaining about twinks which resulted in soul memory and locking down invasions to when a host has a summon. It's the fault of the PvP community why magic/faith continues to get the shaft because OP OP OP which has made repeat playthroughs with different builds a bore. It's the fault of the PvP community why nearly everything fun gets nerfed because they treat DS as if it's meant to be a balanced fighting game.

This is why the game is dying. The Souls community especially the PvP side of it just can't stop fucking up. I wouls say this is karma but their actions has made us all suffer.

I actually quite liked dark souls 3, I found it to be a lot more enjoyable than dark souls 2. I also thought weapon arts were really neat and added a lot of depth to the game. It incentivizes you to use the weapons you wouldn't normally touch because they had a useful ability, like the quickshot for shortbows that let you string off a bunch of shots in rapid succession.

bringing about the mana bar sort of was nice. The new locations were nice and had far better atmosphere than DS2 had. The plot was also the best paced in the whole series, rather than being pointlessly obtuse they attempted to make a coherent story that has a beginning and end. The new gear was good, and the new armors looked great.

Frankly, it seems like a lot of people were shitting on the game just because it was the third in the series. I agree a lot of the setups were old but there's still a lot of great ideas in there. I think the souls game that had the most "cooking" done was probably demon's souls, it felt like that game had everything in it that it was supposed to. Dark souls felt half baked in a lot areas, like they had a ton of ideas that they just couldn't implement because of time constraints. I think the main reason people are giving the game shit is because they came in expecting to get that feeling they got when they first played a souls game, then were letdown when they didn't get that.

the other theory is people are shitting it because image boards are full of contrarian faggots that just like to bitch.

Maybe they shouldn't have gimped poise, and allowed a host to summon 3 phantoms.

user that is just simply not true, if anyone is at fault it is the developers who made a shit game. Nobody ever told them to make soul memory, or any of the other idiotic changes.

You almost got me

Theres that word again

i'm not saying everyone is that way, i'm just saying a lot of people who post here will find anything to complain about even stupid shit that doesn't in any way hinder the game like weapon arts

I grinded for the platinum trophy. While I had fun pursuing people through the Archives, the actual combat is so shit, due to them keeping Bloodborne stamina.

What do I mean, that everything consumes less stamina, making shit more spammable and less punishable since you can roll away from danger at any time.

In the end, every combat reduced to hit, hit, roll away, chug, hit, hit, etc.

*autistic screeching*

What they should have done is make everything take far less stamina, make it so an action had to have enough stamina to be executed, and make stamina regen much less. That way items restore stamina are very useful, and a large stamina bar gives someone an edge in any fight.

OK before this thread goes to shit I need to ask something.
I have never played a Souls game or even a souls-like game other than the Nioh demos, is DS3 worth a play or not? I keep hearing it's "bad" but I don't know what that means in context. Is it fundamentally or unplayable bad, id it just disappointing, or is it just a case of high level nitpicking that I won't notice?
Note I don't have a PS3 nor do I care about multiplayer.

Play Dark or Demon Souls first

Do you own a PS4? If so borrow it, if not no.

Maybe don't end your posts with little passive-aggressive jabs?

For god's sake don't START with 3, DaS1 is on PC

its a perfectly fine game, go and play it. The main ire is because of changes to the pvp formula and tweaks to the way combat functions.

I'd highly recommend you play the original dark souls or demon's souls if you have a ps3. Avoid DS2 like the plague.

It is their fault.

Goodbye useful wrath of the gods
Goodbye useful power within
Goodbye useful great combustion
Goodbye useful CSS
Goodbye useful CHSM
Goodbye useful hornet ring
Goodbye useful wolf ring
Goodbye stamina + weight limit combo
Goodbye pyromancy build that any build can use
Goodbye practical poise
Goodbye fun katana moveset

As a game it's alright, but it's pretty bad compared to DaS1

REMINDER THAT YOU WILL NEVER ENJOY A SOULS GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THAT PVP HAS ALWAYS BEEN SECONDARY AND A PIECE OF SHIT TO BOOT, ENJOY THR FUCKING GAME, ITS PRETTY GOOD BESIDES ITS FLAWS, DLC IS SHIT

I could criticize you for having bad taste and a shit opinion but I decided to give you some unfriendly advice instead. If you're only in it for the waifus you can just say so

What I want to know is why we never got another interconnected world like Dark Souls again. World design of Dark Souls 1 with polish and completion of Dark Souls 3 would have been great. I just want shortcuts fucking everywhere to give me an autism boner dammit.

Stop wasting quads, none of that is the PvPers fault. I am using a wolf ring build right now, and I almost exclusively pvp now. If anything upsets me, it's how WotG has an enormous range, and damage. It makes trying to fight on my shit connection hell. Pyromancy being used by any build was a bad idea yah, but it was the fact that the modifiers that were supposed to affect it's damage didn't work.

is this what people on reddit mean when they mention "trolling"?

I don't think you realize just how popular dark souls is. The devs would certainly be paying attention to community grumblings, that means the loudest faggots in the room. And who were the loudest faggots in the room?

THE LEDDIT PVPER SOLAIRE OBSESSED FAGGOTS

Par for the course for someone who liked DaS3 I guess

These people advertise the game to people who wont buy it, of course they will listen to them.

This is exactly my point about why the PvP community can't stop fucking up. The reason stamina has been given a boost is because enemies and bosses are far more agressive. The reason why DS3 has gone in this direction is because we all got gud in DS1 so having the PvE pace itself like DS1 would make the single player less rewarding.

you strike me as someone who liked DS2

My computer is barely functioning. Booting Terraria nearly makes it shit the bed.

Yes, but fortunately I got it as a gift so I don't feel like I constantly have to justify it's purchase to myself. It's simply there when I need it.

I keep hoping that DaS1 will get a re-release. I know I should get a PS3 but it's just not in the budget right now.

worst use of quads i've seen in a long time tbh famalam

It is the easiest game. It adds new systems like weapon arts that are often times just worse moves than the baseset of the weapon and are entirely redundant and never useful. They were an attempt to rationalise a mana bar for none casters by adapting the trick weapons idea from Bloodborne but it doesnt work. The story is 30% "because this one boss was doing something you might find out about if you buy the season pass" and the rest is all "these guys fucked off and we need them for reasons we wont specifiy, go kill them all and come back to finish the game AND CHECK OUT ALL THESE REFERENCES THAT MAKE AS LITTLE SENSE AS DS2'S IRON KEEP and its incredibly barebones. The soundtrack is a step down, the enemy designs are bland as fuck. There is a famous story how the director for DS1 told them to redo an undead dragon model "so it conveyed the proper feeling of a majestic thing lost to time, not just a generic monster" and that kind of feeling is not here as everything is a humanoid of some sort, a reskin of a Bloodborne monster thats just a large animal/humanoid animal or DS1 enemies that have been nerfed to fuck. It uses Bloodbornes stamina while monstrously nerfing damage which makes the game easily for veterans and slow and tedious for beginners. DS1 is fast high damage combat. 2 to 3 hits can and often will kill you. In this you take some hits if you are new, roll back and sippy, repeat and wonder what the 'hard game meme' was about.
Visually it is a mess. Again trying to blend Dark Souls, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne which all had their own defined styles to create a few nice moments in a melange of crap. Start in bleached out brown castle and go to bleached out brown town ripped from Bloodborne, to bleached out brown woods to bleached out brown swamp to bleached out brown and slightly green church to bleached out and brown tomb to a nice area then bleached out and brown prison and bleached out and brown ruins and back to the bleached out and brown castle to its library to the boss of the castle to the final area and the boss.

The entire game is "Lets try and add Bloodborne to Dark Souls" and it does not work on any level unless you have no standards nor any concept of how the game mechanics in this series can complement or conflict with each other. Its full of memes and references that make no sense e.g: the first game has a likeable oaf who dies in a tunnel underground with a parasite in his head, he became an internet meme so his sword is enshrined in the capital of the world multiple mass extinction events and tens if not hundreds of millenia later because memes right? xDDDDD

Functionally it is okay. But that is not good enough and unless you suffered from brand loyalty indoctrination or dev hero worship there is no sound mind that would recommend this as a starting point for a series when it is objectively its lowest point from a design standpoint.

he should, it's the best one except for demon's

All the souls games had aggressive bosses, and they didn't need such a thing. They went in this direction because they are morons.

You could probably still run DaS1 better than the PS3 could :^). What on earth do you play on PS4 if you haven't played Bloodborne?

You are right. I should probably ask if a pirated version of dark souls would still allow me to play with the PC community.

you do realize dark souls 3 is a direct sequel to dark souls 1 right? That's why you visit such similar locations, THEY ARE THE SAME LOCATIONS.

it makes a lot more sense than dark souls 2 since dranglaic is supposed to be nowhere near lordran where as lothric is lordran.

they're all the same place, champ

It was way too linear and nearly everything in it was a rehash of a different game in the series (the most common of which being Demon's Souls level design and enemy placements). It might just have the best overall boss fights out of each of the games and combat in general but that doesn't make up for how samey and linear everything is.

RIght, that's why, not because new assets are expensive and new ideas are hard

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the multiplayer is cracked, give it a shot

its a fucking dark souls game, the whole goddamn point is the word is one seamless line.

this meme needs to die.

Actually there is merit to that. Remember in DS1 when greatswords swung like they do in DS3. It all changed when infinite stunlock was possible with Gwyn's greatsword which lead to a fuck ton of complaints in the PvP community. Come Artorias DLC and all the greatsword movesets get slowed down so much that it's only worth using one swing making the greatsword moveset boring.

What about dark wood grain ring and the insane amount of complaints about it. I don't think I need to even explain what went off there considering is was complained about in a fuck ton of youtube videos.

So yeah, eat dick.

That would be nice, how is the community? I have played on the xbox, and PS3 before and it seems pretty good.

i'm not excusing poor world design, but they've said so many times that time and physics work differently in lordran
if 2 isn't the same place, then why are nito's kids there
why do phantoms work
why is there a castle on a lake of lava in the sky

who cares about the community, you barely ever interact with people in DaS1. If the red guy shows up poke him with your pointy stuff until he stops and do a silly pose when you're done.

because dark souls 2 was a horribly lazy game that has no sense of scale or progression and was designed from the ground up to be "cool" rather than reasonable.

okay but solaire explains like five minutes into the first game that phantoms only work in lordran

Yeah, Lordran is pretty obviously a supernatural location. It's the land of the gods after all, like Mount Olympus or Valhalla or something. Still doesn't excuse the sequels totally derailing that world, it's like letting maaaaagic excuse internally inconsistent logic, and Demon's Souls was pretty famous for that.

Depends on if you're in it for some good-natured multiplayer or if you're in it for the griefing

What's with all the hate for DS2? Besides being incredibly grindy, I found it to be a perfectly acceptable game. I have DS1 but it's PC controls are so shit I haven't gotten around to playing it for any reasonable amount of time.

did you ever consider that the people who made DS2 didn't have any idea what they were doing?

I do both

because most of the people around here just want to have an easy time fighting new players instead of actually challenging that and soul memory prevents that

challenging themselves, rather

did you ever consider that if you want to debunk something you should put forth your own hypothesis and evidence supporting it?

So I should just play Blodborne instead?

Thus far? Mostly Dragon Quest side games. Hopefully in a month or two I'll be playing Ninja Souls.

and what benefit does that give the story and the world? aside from maybe not figuring out when you see the gargoyles that Anor Londo will show up and getting a nice reveal moment what is the big deal when the entire point is it is a never ending cycle? of course its the same place. So what? Unless you jerk off to Vaatis "but….perhaps" bunkum it serves not functional or contextual purpose. It is masturbatory fan service for the sake of it. The entire point of the cycle is everything is so far apart every instance of the flame guttering out is already several post-post apocalypses from the last one. Shit the entire concept of the final boss makes the fan service redundant. It was always going to end with a reference to Gywn and it doesnt matter how many times the world has reset and whats been buried on what. Is it nice to see those references? at times yes just as it was in wind waker. But what does it have to do with the attempts at a story? Can you actually name what impact DS1 has on it beyond 'it started it' that makes the recurring shit a big deal?

The best connection you can make is somehow the abyss watchers found out about Artorias and followed in his footsteps. At best. The rest is references for references sake and people lost their shit about that with the +1 boss souls in DS2 for that very reason.

They said this was a big deal, the flame finally going out, the end of the cycles. What did we see? what were the pilgrim butterflys? why was humanity and the world itself going hollow? why was multiple lords who already lit the flame required? why were there angels and the queen keeping the real firelink hidden away behind the royal tomb?
No question is answered beyond "fuck you buy the dlc and maybe get something" and what we have is "pontiff did blank, now remeber this DS1 shit we reference?" and it serves no more purpose than the phantom menace does for a new hope but in reverse. Its fan service and filler for the sake of fan service and filler. There is no way the 'story' would be any different if the locations were named something else.

well that explains it.

Wh-Whats your PSN user? You sound cute and might be fun to play with I'll leave a disposable email if you reply with yes after you do

That doesn't excuse anything, I don't want a direct sequel to Dark Souls 1, I want a game that has a world as vertical and inventive as its.

The best part about Demon's Souls was that the closest game to it was King's Field and even that was radically different in many regards. The same goes for Bloodborne which might have many of its mechanics derived from other souls games, but overall it felt totally different. DaS3 is just more of the same and I wouldn't even mind if they made the game as interconnected as DaS1 but nope, gotta have that bonfire warping.

Right off the bat in Demon's Souls once you open up the 5 archstones you have 5 paths to go down. In DaS1 every area is directly connected to 1-3 other areas that you can explore at your own pace. Even in DaS2 you can mostly go down each of the 4 paths to the 4 lord souls very early on.

There are THREE times in the entirety of DaS3 that let you go down a different path for the sake of variety or getting your build finished, you can kill the dancer early on, you can go to Archdragon peak later in the game, and you can go to Smouldering lake sometime in the middle. This is way less options than even Bloodborne has.

And the reason the lack of linearity is fun is because when you replay the game you can actually plan out how to complete your character's build geographically, like you might need the wolf ring, great scythe, etc in DaS1 so you say "Ok first I'll go to blighttown to grab some green titanite shards then I'll head to the catacombs to get the scythe and infuse it with fire, then I'll exit blighttown and go to darkroot to get the wolf ring"
This makes repeat playthroughs way less repetitive even though you end up doing the same content anyways just in a different order. I'm the kind of faggot that spent 1k hours in DaS1 so this shit matters to me.

Either you've only played Bloodborne and DaS3 or you've never felt the need to replay these games and make different builds.

I think they have lost sight on what works more than not knowing what they are doing. DS2 backlash probably put them off analyzing their strengths.

you want my hypothesis? I think drangleic was supposed to be its own land completely removed from lordran. The only problem was the devs for DS2 realized they needed to fill the game with as much pandering bullshit as humanly possible and recycle mechanics.

So the devs go and fill the game with 20 pounds of solaire then realize it doesn't make any sense so they hide behind the "ooo mysterious looooore" excuse and let the community try to figure it out.

Hold on there nigger that is not even close. Soul memory is a terrible system for several reasons.
1. It actually makes it difficult to even play with other people, and eventually impossible since most of those players will be in a lower SM bracket. I remade a character twice because I couldn't connect with anyone because of soul memory.
2. It didn't keep people from encountering new people, but it sure as hell allowed anyone who bought lots of boss weapons/items to encounter people waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above there level.
3. It even ruined the pvp for people like me since I prefer weaker weapons, and eventually I encounter max level gear and spells. Soul memory is just shit.

A agree with a majoirty of your post but I just couldnt enjoy DS3 despite starting with demons souls back in 2009 I'm not entirely sure why either maybe I'm just jaded or the game lacked something that was present in DS and DS1 but I'm not entirely sure

or it could be that you don't see the obvious connections, like dragons and obsession with souls and a curse affecting man

Well if there is a mod to make the controls something less than god-awful I'd be more than happy. I might try a gamepad one day but fuck that shit there are proper console ports out there.

I would probably enjoy DS1 just as much as 2 tbh.

Soul Memory should have been based on Souls spent instead of souls acquired, and biased towards players with similar slvl.

Someone who lost 1m souls should not be on the same tier as someone who spent those 1m souls.

you want my magic trick to making the game instantly more playable?

USE A FUCKING CONTROLLER

This + making weapon upgrades way more expensive (or nerfing the shit out of them or even removing them) would help quite a bit.

This user gets it when it comes to repeat playthroughs

That is actually a much better idea. Funny how a bunch of shit posters put more thought into a game than the devs did.

No, they just need proper controls. I prefer a keyboard and mouse. More control. also glorious PC-master-race does not capitulate to dirty console plebs

DaS 3 may be dead, but it's nowhere near as DeS.

Ok so my big question with this whole thing in this game, this world…is that is the whole world kinda fucked up like we see in this city?
Or is it just this city/kingdom?
We have 3 locations (Lordran, Lothric, and whatever was in DS2) but are they all just the same names for the same kingdom? Are they 3 separate kingdoms? Are they just regions, like provinces, within the same place as a whole?

In the first game, at least from the beginning, you are given this idea that undead people are somehow cursed and are made to go to this city/kingdom of the undead.
In the second game you are given this idea that when you are undead you are drawn to this city/kingdom.
In the third…you uhh..you wake up out of your grave. So you're already there. How long had you been dead?

When people tell me Dark Souls has this amazingly deep story and lore I just sort of scratch my head at all this shit that isn't ever really explained and doesn't even make sense across the three games.

It absolutely is not more control.

I can say it's way better than DS2 at least.
That game was a steaming pile of shit.
If FROM makes a new Souls-style game, they should make an entirely new IP like Bloodborne was.

Not really. The souls games having deep lore is mostly a meme.

Haha no because of how little souls you need to fully upgrade a weapon, thus creating a twink.

Nostalgia ranking:
DeS > DaS1 > BB > DaS3 > DaS2

Overall ranking:
BB > DaS1 > DeS > DaS3 > DaS2
1 would have outranked BB if the levels after Anor Londo hadn't largely shit themselves, but the DLC helps.

Demon's Souls "honrabu durel" is dead but it still has some online activity beyond that.

3 really needed the weapon arts to be better than they were. It could have been the shining feature that took it to the next level. Instead we get 2-second Perseverance buffs and le ebin flippy spinny combo button :DDD

The lack of proper poise is also really shitty. It was fine not being in DeS or BB because mobility was king, but a Dark Souls game needs to give slow fatass armor a reason to exist.

They're all the same place. It's one huge region encompassing all the places they mention like Vinheim and Carim, but the only place with the dark soul is Lordran/Lothric/Drangleic.

In the third game you've been dead since the first, and you're a person that tried to kindle the fire but wasn't strong enough. Then, you get yanked out of the ground. You're never not dead in 3.

Again, 2 is the best one, barring Demon's.

A keyboard has more buttons, a mouse has a wider range of motion.

a joystick offers more range of movement and speed of movement, which is more important than having lots of buttons
besides you spend most of the game locked onto enemies

Invasion mechanics
Invading is what gave DS1 and 2 such long afterlives. Notice how quickly BB died? Yeah, invading sucked. Aside from lorefags like Vaati who naturally have a limited amount of material to milk out of every game, entertaining invasions are what have given every other Souls streamer/youtuber fodder for videos, and videos are what created a sense of community and made people want to keep playing. Invasion mechanics in DS3 simply suck. It's practically impossible to invade people without gank squads in tow. Even the really good PVPers who can deal with gank squads end up making really boring videos because they have to go into full tryhard mode to win. The majority of normal players are completely turned off from invading because it's often a huge uphill battle.
is boring. Honor duels don't have the same randomness and "wtf just happened" factor that invasions can have.
What was the biggest complaint people had about DS2? Soul memory
What's the worst thing about DS3? Invasion mechanics being overwhelmingly stacked against invaders
By trying to stop twinking, From killed their own game. Twinking was never that bad to begin with. So you finally got to Undead Parish, and some fuck with a +5 Ascended Pyro Flame raped your shit. Boo fucking hoo. It's something everyone survived, and it wasn't worth creating a bunch of game-killing nonsense to deal with.
There's no reason for From to fix DS3 at this point, because they already have all of our money and they claim to be done with the series. If they did decide to fix it for whatever reason, I wish they would:
-Reinstate the DS1 mechanic of only the host being able to chug estus rather than his summons.
-Limit invaders to the maximum number of flasks the host has at the time of the invasion, not half.
-In the event of more than one invader, they share a communal estus pool. Example: Host has 10 total estus charges when A and B invade. Invader A drinks, and B drinks at the same time. Now their communal pool is down to 8 rather than each of them having 9 left.
-Limit or penalize the summoning of new phantoms when the host already has an invader in his world (no penalty for summons already there when the invasion occurs)
-Eliminate the mechanic that gives the host more estus charges when an invader dies

Confirmed for being shit at these games

I'd imagine they didn't use that method because they wanted to incentivise saving and keeping souls you've earned. If souls you acquire stick with soul memory you'll need to get those souls back so your'e not under-leveled compared to other players in your tier, this makes death more punishing if you don't retrieve your souls

I know this gets thrown around a lot and doesn't really mean much anymore, but i think it is fitting to use it now: Please go back to Reddit.

the only thing you shouldn't be locking onto is large bosses

Uh no? That game lasted a lot longer than DaS3 has. It was practically the only thing I played for a whole year. I'll admit that more unconsensual PvP would have been nice, but I was fine sticking to the honorabu durels

Never been my fine autistic friend. PC >>>>>> console. Period. A meme about that is fitting.

No it doesn't. How long does it take you to do a 360 on a joystick? How long does it take you to do a 360 on a mouse? Results will vary but on average the mouse is faster. You can also switch from a vertical motion to a horizontal and vice-versa easier. You also have the widest range of motion with a mouse because it's not constrained to a specific area like a joystick.

The whole point of being glorious PC master race is to have all the best options available to you that are denied on consoles.
By refusing to use a video game controller for a game designed around the use of a video game controller you are needlessly crippling yourself and destroying your gaming experience.

Thought so.

Ok so wait, in 3 are you supposed to remember this previous life before you were undead?
And so you've already attempted..what..when you were alive?
See, these are things I don't entirely get about this game in its lore and settings.

They're fun games…but literally nothing about the scenario ever makes any fucking sense.
Like really..what were you trying to accomplish in 1? For all I know you are dropped into a jail cell and eventually you get out..somehow…and then just start wandering around and killing things and fucking things up.
For what?
Why?

I guess my biggest question is what exactly IS the player-character's motivation for doing ANYTHING in these games? Sometimes you are told where to go and what to do..like in 3 there is some bit of this…but again…what is in it for your character?
See…if the character doesn't have a reason to care then _I_ as a player have no fucking reason to care about what i'm doing in the game other than just playing to beat it.

Then how do you make weapon arcs more effective by starting them closer to enemies, have perfectly consistent movement directions, or fake out players with starting your swings in a different direction than the one they end in?

Lockon is almost entirely useless outside of ranged attacks and if you don't believe me try playing Severance or even Dragon's Dogma. Learn to play without it and you will be much more versatile, though I wouldn't recommend doing this with a controller due to the lack of precision.

I don't see any patch notes listing a nerf to Soul Stream. Got a link?

but the Economist does it

But that will always be a problem, but it helps the problem of a level 70 encountering a level 500. Though it still doesn't solve the problem of people being raised to a higher bracket, because they bought items or collected boss weapons.

I think another reason Dark souls died is just how cancerous most of the communities got and how filled they are with drama. Most of the big name dark souls people on youtube turned out to be SJWs and started a shit ton of drama. The only one who did not become a cancerous SJW is only afro which is surprising. Onlyafro ended up losing a ton of friends over making fun of games journalists and all those hipster indie cliques.

A good example of a SJW would be veselekov. They sperged out about why censorship is good and how terrible it is to make fun of indie games.

I don't refuse to use it. It's just a pain in the ass to pull it out for one game. However I've been playing more emulators recently so it's more on the table than ever. However I have never refused to use a gamepad for anything. A keyboard+mouse combo is, in my opinion, the best. Therefore I'd rather not be required to cripple myself with a medium I don't enjoy to play a game that could have been ported properly.

They ported to PC. They should have ported well. My PC is not a console any more than a console is a PC although really a console is a PC, just locked down with garbage

you're retarded beyond down-syndrome, kid. i wish your mother had been more than just half-successful at aborting you.

Do it properly and start with Demon's Souls. Play in release order, see how things changed over time.

I have no problem with twinks, I'm just pointing out that doing based on souls spent wouldn't actually fix the issue. Even now, DS2 still can have twinks if you use the agape ring. Max gear can be obtained without opening the enterance to Drangleic.

How often do you find yourself needing to do a split second 360 in souls games? You can choose how fast to run with a stick.

The player doesn't know whether his character has any memories from the previous life, but I suspect not, as you've had a lifeless brain in your noggin for likely centuries, if not more.

You attempted what the Chosen Undead in 1 accomplished. The Unkindled had the same role as the chosen undead, but wasn't as powerful.

In 1 you're a weapon of Velka. You were given the curse to exact revenge on Gwyn because of him locking her entire religion(and maybe her) away in the painting. We don't know if the character has personal motivation or not, but we know they have an appetite for killing shit, because as an undead, if they don't kill shit, they'll hollow.

It's similar with 3, but in 3, your goal is to get all the people like Gwyn, who kindled the fire, to go back and finish the job like they were supposed to. You're a delivery boy. Again, we don't know that you have any personal motivation other than a desire to stay sane.

I play Monster Hunter. If you're good at using the joystick, you absolutely can do all the shit you're describing. Especially in 2 and 3, where sprinting while locked on is more fluid.

The biggest reason the Dark Souls 3 MP died is the balancing issues with matchmaking. People just stopped bothering to invade when they knew they'd end up in a 3v1 match with the odds against them every time. It's perfectly fine for the invader to have lower stats/a worse character when they invade in Das1, but in Das3 where they're guaranteed to be up against a team and potentially up against someone with a seed of giants, you need to get incredibly lucky to stand a chance.

In DaS2 you could still be reasonably likely to encounter a single player that you could have an entertaining match with. In 3 your chances of finding someone you could have an interesting match with are zero, because they're either so stupid you can beat them with all their advantages, or capable of passing the first grade and hence easily able to stomp you into the ground.

Think he meant movement with the character, rather than the camera angle. Most games use WASD for movement which gives you 8 directions at best, 4 at least.

A mouse can help you aim and look at exactly where you want to go, but it doesn't make 360º movement capabilities easier unless you spaz out with the camera while you move.

The problem was never really twinks. That is a problem of poor balance. The biggest problem was people in pvp being thrown up against players hundreds above them while being level 70, and not encountering anyone near their level at all. It also hurt pvers since they could no longer find summons, or get summoned after a while.

Apparently Miyazaki has already apologized for not making things in 3 more connected like 1. It's like they wanted to do it again but forgot how.

There are a lot of reasons and it's all explained by the misleading prophecy. If you didn't want to complete the prophecy then you would have just sat in your cell and hollowed into nothingness like all the other hollows. When you stop playing the game your character sits down and does nothing, meaning people who give up on the game have made their characters go hollow (which is explained as not having the will to go on). You did the quest in DaS1 because you, the player, wanted to. Maybe you wanted to do what you were told, maybe you wanted to go around killing big monsters, maybe you wanted to explore the world, or maybe you ignored the prophecy and just joined a covenant and fucked around.

The chosen undead isn't you in the jail cell, it's whatever hollow gains the urge to actually complete the prophecy and sees that urge through to the end. Even NPCs can be the chosen undead (some would argue that Solaire completed it in his world).

Why use a game with lock-on, circle-strafing and four-directional dodging as your example?

I like to get a little crazy. So more often than you'd think.

In this one respect, I concede to joysticks. Moving with WASD in a face-paced game is extremely difficult and I oftentimes find myself falling all over the place in an intense fight. That said, I like the overall increase in control over this one aspect.

Also I spaz the fuck out all the time. Don't tell me how to play a game bish.

You can but it requires a lot more practice, but this was more about how being locked on limited you rather than what means of controlling the game you use.

Because it plays very well without lockon to the point where lockon might as well not exist in it.

Just seemed like a weird example next to a game with no lock-on in the melee combat at all

That was never an issue for me in DS1. Itls funny that you raise that point because DS3 actually solved that problem by scaling invaders, hosts and summons to roughly the same levels. It just got ruined by the invader requirements being a gank squad.

wew lads

Exactly. When a player locks onto everything, you can tell they're new.
When a player locks onto everything except bosses, you can tell they're experienced. A rolling backstab is a lot easier while locked on. And, in my opinion, so is a ravioli step.

Wow. Called out on your retarded bullshit and you just double down on it all.

You're like a guy who is trying to use non-metric wrenches on the metric bolts on a foreign car and refusing to switch to using the metric wrenches because that car was imported so the importers should have known to switch the bolts to the american standard.

Ok so in 3 the whole thing was you had these people who were supposed to rekindle the flame and just didn't want to do it..because…?

They didn't want to rekindle the flame because it would make them go hollow.
But it's their job, so they have to be forced to do it.

Apples, meet oranges. Both wrenches are fundamentally the same. The function the same; they grip the same; they twist the same way. Controllers are fundamentally different than a keyboard mouse combo.

However, if in this case the car as rebuilt to American standards, except for the bolts, I might make the same argument. Although it'd be more "it's a pain in the ass to pull the tool out of the tool shed, that I normally never use, that I don't like to use, instead of the tool I have on my fucking belt, so I won't modify this car now. Maybe some day".

Way to go from being a cool reasonable person to fag mach 5 in a matter of one post btw.

I don't find a single thing redeemable about it and I'm not hating it for the sake of hating it, I was excited as shit to play it after not liking DS2 so much. The level design falls completely flat on it's face, the bosses are boring, NPC's are boring it has zero charm to it. You can tell the DS fatigue hit the developers, I feel they didn't even want to make the game. These games should have had 4-5 year dev time, not to be put out every year like fifa.

The Lords of Cinder did link the fire though, that's why they are all fucked up. However, as the resources required to keep the Age of Fire going are drying up left and right, at some point they need to sacrifice themselves completely just to get a little bit more. They try to escape that fate, but they already did their duty in the past.

Dragonslayer Armour is the best boss in the game, I had so much fun fighting him. Abyss Watchers had a lot of missed potential sadly. The rest is pretty "eh."

Yhorm would have been S tier if there was no storm ruler. The fight against Yhrom should have played out like how you fight amygdala where her weakness is her arms and head.

The level design is actually incredibly good. The individual areas are really well done.

It's the world design that sucks. You have almost no freedom in how you approach the game. There's nothing like the alternate route to Quelaag in DS1, taking on New Londo early, doing Darkroot first, etc.

Feels like one straight line. Teleporting ruined the game.

I'm at Irythill been so long I forget what it's called was so hyped seeing the incredible view, got past the invisible wall, more of the same shit linear level design.

This chart doesn't show physical location relation but it does show how things are mostly linear with only a couple of branches.

I think only Torfag who's never played anything before 2 thinks that.

I actually liked DS3. Still a little grindy though but they got rid of a lot of that.

Torfag replied to me, but little does he know I've had him filtered for at least 45 minutes.

But it is.

Let me tell you something about these games and their so called lore. Take it all with a grain of salt. You, both you as the player and your character, are nothing more than visitors in a dying realm. You have been afflicted by the curse of that realm, and it will eventually devour your soul. Sounds terrible, but in the mean time, why not take a look at these cool looking ancient ruins? Oh, what's that? Those spectral beasts tried to rip your head off? Don't be a pussy, go back in there and shove your halberd so far up their asses that their esophagus is bleeding ass juice. Good, now they're fucking dead. Hey, what were they protecting, anyway? Looks like a chest there. Oh, what's this? Shattered Blood-Sword? Check it out, it came with a shred of paper. What the fuck is this, some kind of gay poem? Oh, no, it's just a brief description and backstory for this one item. Alright. I don't know who the fuck All-father Dick was, or why he tried to invade the Central Bastille of Yorga'ntei, but apparently this is the very same blade he used to rend the princess' head. Cool shit.

That's Dark Souls "lore" in a nutshell. The game throws some interesting concepts at you, and perhaps a very basic story line, but there is no cohesive and intricately designed series of events that carefully construct a grandiose and vivid schema that fully explains how everything in this series' universe works. It's just not there, but Miyazaki will tell you otherwise, and faggots like VaatiVidya will tell you that's the whole fucking point.

Problem with this is that you'll eventually get the feeling that they're just pulling shit out of their asses. Put another way, the game's central premise is merely window dressing that is meant to give credence to the atmosphere that the game's designers are trying to convey. In short, don't look too deep into things, you'll be disappointed.

I said "I actually liked DS3. Still a little grindy though but they got rid of a lot of that."

Why do you think this. Every single boss in 2 is complete shit. Every single area is complete shit. there is no poise just like 3. 90% of the enemies rely on swarming.

I just went through his post and I was about to reply to him with a post like this but got beat to the punch. Already filtered

Good post. The game is largely open to interpretation and making your own assumptions about a lot of things. If it wasn't so ambiguous then Vaati would have nothing to make videos about.

Also I don't like that Gwynevere's marriage to the Fire God Flann was apparently retconned (or divorced?) and now she's married to Oceiros apparently? Or at least had a quarter-dragon love child with him at a minimum. Maybe two.

OK.

Wait I just remembered the princes are hers too. So 3-4 kids, with one or two fathers.

It really is a shame, because they could have had a real masterpiece on their hands if they fixed the issues with the world's lack of connectedness (and Forsaken Hallway).

That would be my list. Also make the DLC free and stop splitting player bases up with that garbage.

Drangleic is in a weird mirror world accessed by water portals, obviously it's not going to be the same areas

The problem with Das3 is that it's too small; playing dark souls 1, you can see how similar 3 was trying to be to 1, but the big difference is the bonfire spread; physically, the bonfires are rather close to each other in ds1, but you'd have to take a very long and winding road to actually get to the next one, and when you get the short cut about thirty minutes later you make that bonfire useless, but sometimes those shortcuts come after their own winding path, or they actually thought about the difference in where the bonfires are. Even in the opening area, two bonfires are not that far from each other, but the distance between the first bonfire in the level and the second one is you have to fight a slog of enemies to get to the first one, and then you have to get through another bunch of enemies, a boss, a possible miniboss if you don't mind your manners, and a really hard enemy if you're feeling lucky. And even after that, you don't get a bonfire for every boss, you sometimes even have to backtrack out of boss rooms if you want a fire, and the only ones that really do give a fire are the 4 lords, gwyn, nito, the witch who became the bed of chaos, and seath, who wasn't really a lord, actually a duke, but I nearly forgot as I write that there were only 3 lords you fight and the 4th is locked behind DLC for lore.
Anyway, the biggest problem is that ALL the bosses have a bonfire that you can warp from. on top of that, the areas are all so small already that you wouldn't need to warp around, but it makes the world feel even smaller because you can just pop right up to wherever you want to go in an instant. If you're having trouble with a boss you can just warp out to a different place and fight a different boss at your leisure to get the souls to fight another boss. If you removed every boss bonfire excepting the lords of cinder, and maybe the deacons of the deep because their boss room is a dead end, and I continue to exclude the last demon king because that area is supposed to mirror blight town at least a little bit and it brings back memories of having to sit at a bonfire uptop, take the elevators all the way down to the spider cunt and homeward bone so I didn't have to walk through the shit just to get back home.
the big reason they put in weapon arts was probably to do away with parrying, because parrying has always been shit, and to expand every weapon an extra two moves, meaning the machete weapons at least don't need to have that one overhead move they do no matter what. On the topic of that, I think the overhead is just like a stab without doing stab damage; it goes straight forward in a line and deals damage only in that line in front of you; it would have been better if it did some diagonal like guts can do in the Holy Demon War game if you keep doing a strike and moving forward and he just does diagonals all day. Heavy could have been an overhead or a horizontal slash if you two hand it, maybe mix it up like the amount of care they put in to ultra great swords where they all have a very specifically unique play style and they only share a few attacks I bring this up because they quite heavily rip off berserk and the games that berserk has out, which isn't really that big a deal, but I think so because there's barely one idea that is entirely unique to FROM, but the one stand out thing is that the fume greatsword has a unique stomp overhead, which a couple of UGSes have, but this one smashes down with the broad end, like guts did to the guy when he was fighting him in that small room with the pillars all over the place. Again, that is a very specific and unique animation that no other sword has that they put effort into for fan service for a different series, but they couldn't be arsed to make a more varied moveset for the fucking great axe class.
there's obviously a lot of overlap in the development of all these titles; DS1 had some lingering ideas from bloodborne before it became a trailer even, DS2 had this to a slightly greater degree I'm sure, and DS3 was right at the epicenter, and because it's the same company I can't fault them for sharing ideas around that takes it away from what DS1 was. The thing that makes it wrong is they took enemy ideas from bloodborne and didn't properly balance them with the dark souls player character. They've had this problem before slightly, but it was moreso that the enemies have such a high closing-in capability when you're meant to run away and take out enemies solo.
So TL;DR
They rushed this game out and didn't give themselves the time they needed to balance the game, they filled in the low production capabilities with rehashed ideas from other games and the game is full of its own unique ideas that would be great if it wasn't poured over this mess of berserk references+skirts

"or perhaps…"
Ocieros was once an ancient fire god from a distant land who was worshipped by a sand dwelling race of vagabonds
"or perhaps…"
Gwyn, ever hearty and passionate, bore the fruits of many exploits during his time. Tales of war are enough to impress the aristocracy, but what of love? Few know the extent by which his fires of passion engulfed an ever growing number of wives, to whom he brought many children, who then spread to distant lands
"or perhaps…"
ad fucking infinitum.

Considering Gwynevere fucks every powerful being and the hundreds of cycles that have transpired between DS1 to DS3, it's safe to assume that Flann is just one of many who she has married and discarded when the first flame begins to fade.

In short Gwynevere is a user to remain in power. Flann is just one of the many casualties in her bid to cling on to that power.

yes, because to really enjoy a souls game you must force yourself to contend with invasions from players who use one of maybe three minmaxed memebuilds

The game isn't dead for me. I'm having fun making builds and invading, don't see what the big deal is.

The game has faults but overall it's on par with DaS1, if not better. I swear, you faggots always seem to forget about Lost Izalith.

It's amazing that so many people forget where they begin their journey. The place is called Things Betwix. It's outright saying that the location is Things Between which pretty much states limbo.

also, this might be the worst-written post i've ever seen. don't fall for the reddit-spacing meme and learn to paragraph. and for fuck's sake lay off the commas and semicolons

Replayablity is the key thing user. DeS, DS1, DS2, hell even Bloodborne to some degree allows to mix up your progression through the world. It also doesn't help that magic/pyro/faith/dark builds are not viable until the end of the game due to them either being locked of till then or require high stat investment.

Read the thread.

On that note, what the fuck is his deal with skirts? I understand the capes, they just figured out how to make a cape work kinda, even though it clips through your body if you're doing the farron spin with any cape chest piece, but they love buttcapes and skirts even more; I tried doing something like a guts cosplay build, but all of the chest pieces have something that drapes over the codpiece so I was losing the look effectively when I tried putting on any pants that looked like a cannon guts trousers. And then when you're not doing a guts thing, everything looks otherwise like, "What if guts was X"
It's just shit because I like seeing my pants and I also like the look of a cod piece. I understand the use of a skirt is to protect from an arrow or a bolt being shoved into your thighs where it's less armored for mobility, but I just don't like looking at it; I prefer a dick drapery like the soul of cinder or solaire's armor.
and on THAT note, I'd like to say that they really screwed the pooch on armor being scaled up or down properly for different builds; having a meaty chest means most plate armor looks like you've got a pot belly, which would be fine if the roundness was a bit higher up, to look like a bulky chest, and if it was going to go further down it should give the build more of a triangle shape like spanish armors of the 1500s where it all blends down into a rounded belly that goes down to a point at the dick to give that imposing flat topped triangle look. All the chest armors just make you look fat if you have a large chest even if you slim down your waist, and I just don't like that. A testament to this thought is Villhelm's armor; on a big guy 4 U that armor is still just as small, and on several different characters, I've tried it on and it looks exactly the same, just like how the abyss watchers boots either shrink your legs or they cling tight, and just like artorias's legs will make even a pair of legs with the top gains shrink to a shriveled skeleton size. It really shows how little work went into optimizing the armors per build; if it wasn't optimized and it was the same size no matter how big you are, I'd be fine with that, but the fact that there is a sliding scale and it just determines how fat you'll look or how much your character will clip through, it just feels a bit pointless.

go
back
to
>>>/reddit/

Weakest game in the entire series, but good news that they'll at least let the fucking series take a break, where is the next damn DLC?

I do agree they should put some more balancing work into it, but I've had enough fun replaying the game a few times so far.

I'll give you the first point. The rest I don't agree with or it didn't bother me enough to be a huge negative.

Now that I think about it, I'm upset about some of the cut ideas from the game. Bonfires were supposed to be created via human sacrifice, I'm guessing they wanted you to place your own bonfire locations and you'd have to be careful about where you decide to do it, but they couldn't get it working in time. Also the crazy black things from that WebM I posted were supposed to be a much more common occurace across the world, and the sun was supposed to be bleeding that goo for some reason.

Every Souls game had cut content, so I don't think it's fair to say 3 is the worst offender in that regard. Like I said earlier, areas like Lost Izalith weren't even finished in DaS1 and DeS had a whole level cut out.

Would be an interesting system, but I can just see faggots placing their bonfire right next to a fog gate so they can cut out the time of traversing the level to get to the boss.

i'm sorry you can't appreciate the only game in the series where nearly every build is fun and also practical

bah, 2 did with the soul mem crap

It's build variety (after a shitload of balance patches) is the only good thing about Dark Souls 2. Every single other element of that game is pure garbage compared to the games that came before and after it.

Anything's fun if you make it so.

Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would fuck a dragon, before marrying to another man.

I assume the fire pit locations were still in those spots, you just need to choose if you want the one over in the middle of the level or make it at the very start of the level, which gives you the possibility for shortcut capability, but isn't entirely a definite.
I agree with this user though, all the souls games were rushed out, but this one just seems moreso because of how small the levels are and how short it is overall. Even the DLC is its own shortness, which when you look at it it's actually pretty long, but it's defeated easily by running to the next bonfire, of which there are enough of them and enough shortcuts that it seems baffling to go through slowly. In fact, there's one shortcut that's just there for no reason, the door right next to the painter girl you hop around outside and open it right up, making it a worthlessly locked door.

This also creates the problem of designing the level, because one could just run all the way to the end, place a bonfire at the door, and then backtrack, since the enemies would be designed forward obviously, but again it could have been tested out.

are you playing vanilla or something, faggot? Also dark souls 1 does that but better in every single way

yeah except for covenants and bows and hammers which are all either samey as fuck or just bad to use
again, dark souls 2 has the greatest variety of fun, useful builds
this is a concrete fact

nah, it also has the best exploration and level design, barring demon's
i mean, it has better exploration than demon's, but not better level design

Of course all they care about is the pvp. They'll slog through any garbage to get their NG++ rings

Every fucking time.

oh, that reminds me
2 also has the best new game+ cycling of the entire series
but no, i was mostly talking about pve
still, the fact that every covenant in 2 is wholly unique, and functional, is a step up it has from every other game

It has fucking terrible level design. Heide's Tower of Flame is a good example. It's short as fuck and has two bosses for some reason, one of them being re-used from DaS1 for some reason. It's one of the few levels that aren't too ugly to look at, but the later levels that realized they needed to be a bit longer and more complex are UGLY AS FUCK. Not to mention the completely nonsensical world layout.

"Exploration" as in the ability to choose which way to go first? Moderate, but inferior to the games before it.

Dark Souls 3 pvp was awful, you'd run into the same meta op weapons and combos and it was almost impossible to use anything else. I don't care what anyone says about Dark Souls 2, it has the best pvp out of the whole series, if you could get creative and think of a build most likely it would at least be slightly viable. Also Dark Souls 2 was the best fashion souls.

Dark souls was irrelevant as soon as 2 came out, don't drag the dead body of the series along.

exploration as in the ability to choose which way to go first, and in number of ways to interact with the environment in order to explore further
no other souls game had sconces to light
no other souls game has gilligan
no other souls game has lockstones
no other souls game has a progression locked door that can be unlocked multiple ways
no other souls game rewards you for retreading ground like 2 does

You mean the completely useless torches that were made completely useless when they gimped the lighting engine to fit the game onto 7th gen hardware?
You're joking right? Grumpy Irish man sells you a ladder you don't need? What a garbage NPC.
A neat trick in some levels, completely useless in others. Not missed.
You're going to have to jog my memory on that one, except Demon's Souls has a fog gate that can be opened by killing any of the Four Archdemons.
They are all about the same in that regard, except for Demon's Souls which unlocks new areas and NPC encounters under pure white/black world tendency.

Why would you care about pve if it's complete dogshit?

I never noticed what you said about hammers though, and as for the covenants, at least the entirety of the game outside of covenants isn't horse shit; the online is all ds2 has going for it.

FUCKING
LURK
MOARD

I'm sorry that you have the reading level of a filthy kike mixed with a nigger; if you had gone to school or had a daddy to teach you, you'd know that there's more to punctuation than just a period.

It's not that bad when you Git gud but most of the ways you die will be to people who just do way too much damage all at once in their shitty minmaxed build; I think I minmaxed for my first build and then immediately stopped and said, "Alright, I want to just play this fun." Then I I put points into whatever the fuck I'd like and I was no different than starting out deprived
It was great.
Back on track though, Ds3 pvp is really busted in that unless you're invading in an area where invades are constant or in places where covenants auto invade, you're going into a fight with no help and you can never guarantee that you can kite the invaded into big groups of enemies; more often than not they'll pick off the enemies from afar or they'll already have them cleared out so they can bask in the glory of ganking someone.

Don't listen to user's memes, I read your bullshit without any problems

Well what do you know, turns out Ol' Gilligan is in Dark Souls 3 afterall. As a corpse.

no, i mean the sconces that reward you with bonus items for exploring entire areas regardless of muh graficks
you're kidding right? an npc that enables builds that can't take fall damage to explore fall puzzles in their own way? this is somehow bad to you? replayability is bad now guys
a personal opinion that somehow doesn't change the fact that 2 has one more method of exploration than the others
gate of winter
they're really not all about the same, 1 and 3 don't give you a double or triple pursuer fight at any point

yeah, only the second half of the game and covenants and half the weapons were bad in one, you're right, how could I think two is better

I have an answer for that. The gods know (including Gwynevere) that dragon scales are key to immortality because souls and the first flame are made of fire. Everything that has a soul is affected by the third law of thermal dynamics as in souls suffer from heat death, it's inevitable. A crossbreed of a god with a dragon would in theory make the gods rule for eternity but this has failed at every turn or so it seems. I have a theory that Gwynevere is a crossbreed herself due to Gwyndolin having snakes for legs (snakes are failed dragons in DS universe) plus Yorshka is a crossbreed who is believed to be a direct descendant of Gwyn. This would make Gywnevere practially immortal if she's a crossbreed with her using humans to like the fire to keep the age of fire going as that will always fade. There is something not quite right though that this plan between crossbreeding gods and dragons doesn't produce perfect results as we see with Gwynevere's children with Gwyndolin being the most visible example of a crossbreed being sickly. As for Flann, he was a flame god so of course Gwynevere was going to use him. Obviously his flame faded and his use to Gwynevere had run it's course.

It doesn't get good, period.

uh

The way he ought to be.

Any time you'd like to stop this, any time.

I want reddit to leave.

well, have you tried gitting gud?

Silvercat ring.
Not as interesting as you make it sound.
You mean the thing they couldn't get properly working and so they just had you fight him twice in the first level and gave up, until Scholar of the First Shekel came out where they then decided to make him spawn in a bunch of other places for no real reason? Wow so cool.

I poorly worded that, I didn't mean for it to sound like Gywnevere was fucking Gwyndolin, just pointing out that Gwyndolin has traits of a crossbreed and trap is a legitimate child of Gwyn.

What a fucking mess of a fight.

At least DS2 has more than ~3 viable builds for PvE and PvP.

I'm wondering if I should re-encode it to take advantage of the higher file size limit now.

don't wanna use silvercat ring
it rewards both pve and pvp players
yeah, that thing that other souls games don't have

Done.
Oh my god, this game has a pile of shit! The other games don't have a pile of shit! This game is better, I love piles of shit!

yeah, the second half of one is bad
the part with the huge empty areas with three types of enemies tops
the part with the boss that's so fucking bad the team had to apologize for it
the part with the genius design decision to make a covenant leader a boss you have to kill
the part that almost forces you(or does force you) to alter your build for no real reason whatsoever
the part with the great design choice to kill off an NPC based off of a decision you had to make much earlier that at the time had nothing to do with that npc whatsoever
the part where they do that thing with pursuer or smelter except 100 times worse than either of those
you know
the part where the final stage was a huge fucking letdown and the final boss was babytown frolics

Face it. It's a shit game from shit devs.

I'm still with him on build variety, but he definitely is underestimating the number of "viable" builds in the other games. Just because your weapon has an AR of 800 and your opponent has 850 doesn't mean you are going to lose every time.

And nothing of value was lost.

I blame Epicnamebro and Vaatiwhateverthefuckhisnameis and all those other youtubers and e-celebs. After they got big the focus shifted to the story and lore instead of the core gameplay which is what made Demon's/Dark so great.
That, and the fiction that spread like wildfire that these games are supposed to be "hard." I hate every normalfag cuck that picked up any of these games for the soul purpose of "lol i died" or "wtf this game is so hard XD" "remember to like favorite subscribe and donate to my patreon"

enb talks about how the devs have missed the point since demon's souls constantly
he's mentioned several times how the game has lost its magic since the devs don't know any new tricks
he talks about how bandai namco giving out early copies to streamers is exactly the opposite of the point of the series
it's fine to dislike him, but at least have a valid reason, he's on your side as far as the games not being as fun to play any more

Uh, might wanna rethink that.
If PvP dies, the only thing the devs see is people watching shit like Vaati.

Reminder that Demon's Souls pre-dates Twitch by two years.
Reminder that Demon's Souls pre-dates Reddit being popular by two years.

Dark Souls III just feels like a hollow shell of what the souls series used to be. Now instead of the environment being epic due to it just being epic it feels 'forced'. Scenery and enemies lack sustenance, feeling more like a shallow attempt at trying to be epic instead of people just admiring it's natural beauty.

I mean, there's so much fanservice that it feels more like some form of clone rather than it's own game. The pvp is only bad because of the strange hyper-armor switch up as well as a good majority of weapons just being nonviable due to the extremely easy parry system they implemented. Not to mention it's absolutely unfair for invaders.

Pun intended?

2 especially feels like a fan game clone, 3 is like a fan game clone that had official blessing from the company.

Bloodborne was the real deal from the top talent at the studio.

holy fuck you're a lemming

OK faggot.

That's true but it doesn't change how his videos negatively affected the design of the later games, though he's hardly the only one to blame. Maybe the whole Let's Play scene itself.

I don't know the ~*current meta*~ for DS2 but at least you were able to have a good time even with gimmick builds. There are no gimmick builds in DS3 whatsoever, it's STILL Straight Sword or get fucked.

Not to mention that becoming a Lord of Cinder is giving increasingly diminishing returns, there's that ending where you try to kindle the fire and it just doesn't work. Fewer people that meet the criteria + the Age of Fire being extended for less and less time each time = "what's the bloody fucking point" and stuff like the twin princes refusing to go back and sitting at a safe distance to watch the First Flame peter out.

this is what it looks like when people try to fit in
I could argue for every area in 1 that is like that though, because the enemy placement is thoughtful enough that I don't get a pain in my kidneys when I think about going through that area again. The enemies are made to fulfill a specific task for the area, and I can't see anything wrong in the fact that in the first place there's a bunch of shitty undead knights and in the second area there's a few more, different undead knights, because you're in a castle area and it makes sense that castle guards would be encountered.
You go to the skeleton disco palace and there's a bunch of skeletons and a few necromancers, I can't get mad at that. In the god land you start with giants, you fight a gargoyle, kill some painting guardians on precarious drops, kill some more giants, there's a few seath-esque gargoyles that are called demons for some reason, silver knights, and a more powered up giant pair. That's 5 enemy types that they only switched up because they needed certain things to fulfill certain tasks.
yeah, everyone hates that shit, everyone hates that shitty area, I would put it on my list of shit that is wrong with dark souls 1 too, but that doesn't make the whole second half of 1 bad
it's an optional fight, what of it? The boss itself is pretty shittily designed, in that it's all ranged moves in a narrow corridor and there's one particular move that you will be hit by even if you roll and another that can go through the walls you stand behind for cover, making it pointless to gain cover
I think you're talking about the duke's archives, and I actually agree, I don't think that if I play a short ranged heavy that I should be forced to use a build geared towards long ranged shit, especially since those builds are mostly unfun unless you find a way to make it fun.
all of the NPCs you kill are by your own volition, I don't honestly know who you're talking about because you're being vague. If you're talking about lautrec you have to kill him no matter what choice you make at the start, the difference being that you get a sunlight medal or don't.
If you're talking about the fire keeper, again, she dies no matter what at that point unless you kill the guy earlier, and you just kill him to get her back, which isn't really that hard.
what the fuck are you talking about with this one, stop being vague and just bring up what you explicitly don't like, you faggot

I think dark 3 came to the same ending that dark 1 came to, which was people keep linking the fire but it's just going to get dark at some point, so it's better to just let it die, which brings it full circle to my feelings that dark 3 is just dark 1 lite and also fast.

and I forgot to fucking sage like a retard.

How unfortunate for you.

They finally let invaders use the estus, but still try to screw them over with a four versus 1. Fucking PvE fags.

Dark souls deep lore is the same meme as metal gear or EYE having a hard to follow story.

DS lore begins and ends with DS 1 and that only because it was a serendipitious accident.

That's why best ending is usurping the fire

DS1 lets everyone use humanity in battle. In other words you can carry 198 full heal items. DS3 has nothing on that healing system.

That's if you grind for them. Or dupe them? Is there an unpatched dupe glitch in the game still?

If people in dark 3 PC were smart they would have started cheating in divine blessings for themselves, though I don't know that they don't already do that.

You'd need a way to dupe them.

Why not just use Soul Levels like before and keep the password system that DS3 Uses?

My point is that DS1 has the most overpowered healing system of the trilogy.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand then there's Demon's Souls, which goes beyond that by a LOT.

It's not really overpowered since farming them is killing the one thing that's worse than a dog enemy in any game ever

I know what Cheat Engine is, but it doesn't mean it can do anything. There are already plenty of things that have been patched out of being possible with CE.

You can literally modify the number you have in like, 1 minute. It's fucking e-z modo because it displays the quantity right there, and you can change it in exact increments.

Yeah Demon Souls grass system is ridiculous overpowered. I can't remember how many types of grass were in that game but I think there were six but only two were full heals. Add second chance plus faith stone upgraded weapons makes you practically unstoppable

Unless they patched it. A while back I watched a guy on YouTube explain how he was cheating in Dark Souls 1 but mentioned that one of the things he used to do is now patched out and can't be done anymore.

Nigger who the fuck said anything about being useless? I said that if people aren't doing something right now, there might be a fucking reason why. Like getting patched.

The playerbase isn't split unless you want to invade in the new areas, and I don't have a problem giving them more money if it means we get more content. If you have DLC equipment you can still invade players who didn't buy it.

I'd prefer it if we got something the size of The Old Hunters than two chunks the same size as Ashes of Ariandel though.

DS3 is better than DS2. PvP in souls games was only good in DeS, not because of mechanics, but because it only worked when it was mostly organic and people don't know what the fuck they're doing.

So the meta killed Dark Souls? PvP community does it again.

Found it. Mentions early in that things like teleporting other players is no longer possible.

Only two were full heal, but they were fairly rare.

Little did they know that everyone would Missingno the shit out of them.

Teleports are one thing, duplicating is another, especially since I just loaded up a copy and gave myself 999 divine blessings.

So since we are discussing souls.

There is now a PS3 emulator out, going to download a demon souls rip and see how it runs.

nigger
and there you go, spoon fed on how to change the numbers, you daft twat, teleporting doesn't factor in whatsoever.

since when

RPCS3 is still being developed. I doubt it can run DeS. Or any 3D game for that matter.

They already have it showing running 3d games.
I'll see how it works out.

Since a year.
Its funny, when I was googling reddit kept popping up with people asking about DeS emu, and reddit is in the fucking dark or either the shills don't let the word out that there has been a ps3 emulator in dev for a year now.

yes in dev but I seriously doubt it works in any acceptable way

Wow, I didn't know it could
At this pace we'll get the working emulator within 2 years.

You guys sound like some butthurt sonyggers

I'm just a PCfag who wants to play Atelier games

nah, I don't even use consoles.
I'm just doubtful of the ps3 emu, its probably shit since its hard to emulate for reason or another

But user, an emulator getting to a user-working state within two years for a system like the PS3 is actually pretty optimistic.

yep

And you sound like a sad little mustard race child who's desperate for console scraps.

Have a little dignity.

From have revealed themselves to be really terrible developers when it comes to game structure / game mechanics. It culminated into DS3.

A team and Myazaki were memes by desperate people to excuse the shitshow that was the Soul Memory and the complete lack of motivation to be in a covenant besides the Brotherhood of Blood and even with that one they made it really tough to enjoy.

DS3 proved that From as a whole, no A-team or B-team bullshit, is on bath salts while making Dark Souls games.

from has had a long history of games from way before dark souls, and DaS2 was an obvious fluke and DaS3 was just mediocre at worst.

It's a single fucking player game.
To tell that it's dying because its pvp is dying is the same as to tell that Bare Knuckle 3 is dying because its pvp is dying.
Single player games don't "die".

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case. I loved DaS1, didn't really care for Demons or Bloodborne, DS2 was alright (mechanically and performance wise on PC at least, the level design was average and the world was obviously stitched together from what level assets they had at the last minute) but I just can't get in to DS3.
Whether it's genre fatigue or just the game isn't very good I don't know, which sucks, because action adventure RPG is my favourite genre and this should be tickling my gspot. Or maybe I'm clinically depressed.

pic related, it's you

They fucked it all up when they wanted to make it like Bloodborne.

Actually I'm pretty good with computers.
And none of souls games is a multiplayer game.
Some tacked on throw away side-feature that is fun for hour or two that got popular because people are too casual for real multiplayer games doesn't make Dark Souls one.

they pushed out the sequels far too quickly and shit got stale

Weapon arts were a good addition. It's just that everything is utterly useless in comparison to mashing light attack like a retard. Also, the bonfire distances are too fucking short for proper invasions.

Say what you will but at least 2 has more variety in builds and fabulous fashion.

What variety of builds? Rapier and dual rapier?

Best atmosphere in the franchise as well. I think that Bloodborne ruined Souls-franchise. 1 and 2 are like classic romantic paintings when it comes to atmosphere. Bloodborne and 3 are edgy deviantart OC fiction meets 80s horror movies

Nigger all 4 games are fucking identical, save for BB that traded plate armor for coats.
You're better be fucking baiting me.

Why do people care about the tacked on multiplayer in these games? It was something to dick around with for an hour with a few 5 minute cockfights before you got back to the game, but I can't see how anyone would be dedicated to playing it, it's too gimmicky.

Because you can rely on meta and pwn noobz without any skill involved, unlike in real competitive multiplayer games.

I got bored with it after an hour, the multiplayer aspect just can't stand on its own as an individual video game like the single player part of DaS. It felt less like a video game and more like forced interacting with other people during my play time.

Because it added depth.

Fuck off back to cuckchan, nigglet.

So I bought Dark Souls 3 and so far I am liking it, but I only played like an hour and a half of it. It is definitely not the same experience I had with Demon's Souls or Dark Souls but it is not as bad as Dark Souls 2 so far.

Question is, for someone who adored DeS and Das and got bored to tears with DaS2, should I keep playing or ask for a refund? I bought it during the sale.

I still wanna fuck that crow though

Unlike Demon Souls, for DS3 people still make videos. Its also one of the best selling games on steam along side skyrim. That's a lot of accomplishment.

apply yourself casual scum

Play DeS, DaS and BB, they're all great, avoid DaS 2 and 3 and pretend they don't exist.

Let me describe to you a majority invasion I've experienced with a variety of builds, all under SL90. These are invasions from a variety of covenants.
Host: Turtling straight sword user that will R1 spam. Typically wearing the Fallen Knight armor set. Will run away from the invader to a summoning hotspot when the phantom(s) are killed or if they get guard broken and frontstabbed. Sometimes connection errors occur when they realize that there are no summon signs around.
Phantom (if present): Typically a generic looking knight build, Solaire rip-off, or Fallen Knight user that will also R1 spam with a straight sword when their build weapon isn't performing well enough. Often a sunbro, very VERY aggressive when defending their meal-ticket.
Their typical tactic is to attempt to force the invader into a corner and mash R1 until the invader is dead. It doesn't matter what the invader invades as.
Rarely I've encountered hosts that won't intervene in a fight if I invade as a Mound Maker, even then, their phantom is still a spammy shitter.

While I get that certain areas or bosses are difficult due to the fast, super-aggro enemy AI, it seems that a lot of PvE players are irredeemable trash that can't get through the game solo. Whenever I see a host in Fallen Knight armor and/or using a straight sword, I lose all hope for an interesting invasion.

Demon Souls was the first game that really just planted the seed for Dark Souls plus the fact it's on a single system from last gen. If it's remastered for the PS4 that could change though.

I have the feeling a majority of Holla Forums would be overjoyed if From just removed the singleplayer entirely and shipped a souls game with only invading.

I have a feeling you'd be overjoyed if I jammed my dick up your ass you whiny little faggot.

Why the upset tone?

Wanna fun pvp with builds and mindgames? Go to your local fightclub.
They only legit fun you can get outta shitty gimmick of a pvp this game has.

Examples?

The point is that they are going through singplayer content, and you get to grief their progress. Or you are going through singleplayer, and someone comes and mixes that up, making it a unique, non-repetitive event. The problem with modern Souls games is that they've gimped the invading options and level hardness so harshly in the name of fairness that invaders have very little space to maneuver. Most of my DaS3 invasions were either about reaching a player that goes 10 seconds later through a fog gate (an action which for some fucking reason is uninterruptable) or sits safely at the starter bonfire with a gank squad.

the only thing I actually needed help on was nameless king, and that's only because I can't be doing with those fast attacks that take out most of my life in one smack and two phases where neither health bar goes down any faster than the other

I beat nameless king by having 60 strength and using mornes greatshield maxed out with great magic shield. The shield legitamtely does not lose any stamina when hit. I maxed out my lightning defenses and cheesed nameless king by swatting at him with a broadsword for every 3-4 hits he put on me.
The most challenging part was rolling away from him to reapply great magic shield.

Is anyone honestly surprised?
If they didn't want pvp to die then maybe they shouldn't have removed poise and MADE IT FUCKING POSSIBLE TO PARRY SOMEONE WHILE YOU GOT YOUR BACK TURNED TO THEM

i hate all the leddit fags that say that OOOH. POISE WAS MEANT TO EFFECT HYPER ARMOR OOOOO
fuckin shit. they destroyed poise and this is the sole reason why ds3 is the worst in the series. That and the fact that it runs like ass, looks like shit, and is uninspired shovel-ware

I'm invading for covenant items, souls, or to have fun fucking someone's day up from their "solo" souls experience. Invading is always a possibility, but getting invaded right in the middle of your path through a new area is a tense thing, it makes you feel something, you either get scared about dying or you feel some resolve not to die so you don't have to retread the area for your shit. It's especially bad when you know the area and how close you may be to the shortcut and you get invaded and he just stands there, making sure you can't slip by. Invasion is supposed to be a thing you resent, like a stop to your play that you can't avoid when it happens, or like a miniboss that just shows up and you have one chance to get it right. When you trivialize that shit by making it commonplace and having it be singles combat, it ruins the whole mood of the fight. You shouldn't take the honor shit so seriously, it's a game, for fun, let people invade with the intent of playing the game and not doing some side tournament bullshit.

I don't think you understand, I was playing sword and board luck man with the eagle kite shield and anri's straight sword as well as otherwise looking like skeleton knight, I was in no place to be cheesing my enemies. Pontiff was actually a hundred times easier with a shield though, because his attacks even on an unupgraded EKS were only doing like 78 damage to my high health. Barely any problems with aldrich, the cheeky cunt, killed him in one run.

the upgraded mornes shield with great magic shield is so overpowered that you can fully block champion gundyrs charge attack

What are you, some kinda queer? Having control of my legs is an overrated meme.

Dark Souls 3 kind of reminds me of the plain of Ravenloft.

A mishmash of regions that were at one poitn in time, from completely different places, presided over by dark lords, separated by mists.

Space is in Dark Souls 3 is distorted completely, and the magic crumbles as you go to fight Soul of Cinder, as everything is in shambles.

*plane

eh. when the game strictly rewards being a dex fag I might as well just use a big ass fucking shield and cut away at them with a broad sword

Darksouls has always rewarded picking fast light options though, it's just more prominent in 3 because they took out the only thing that made heavy options actually viable slightly. Trading is basically useless unless you have an UGS, which is miazaki's baby obviously since he loves berserk

Dark Souls 3 should have started in an Age of Dark completely like in the Untended Graves. Dark Wraiths, and hollows galore.

You go off to every Lord of Cinder's tombs from previous ages to scrap together what little flame they have, and then ignite the First Flame once again. Torches, light spells, etc… will actually be worthwhile, and what little natural light to be found will be welcoming soothing sight.

Nice book there, Wilde-san.

Hello there fellow giantdad. Can just stack up your crutch stat and facetank everything on cheap laptop mom bought you too eh? Shit game no question.

DSIII is very linear, has practically no replay value and is very unmemorable. Pretty much the only way to play the game is fast roll, DPS race builds. No more tanking, magic, faith and pyromancy.

I just wanted to say that Oroboro is a faggot and a shill.

Pretty much every Dark Souls youtuber are faggots and shills. I know OnlyAfro shills DaS2 all the time.

Refund it, wait for the GOTY edition with DLC included, then get it on sale. It's what I wish I had done.

Oscar asks you to ring the bell of awakening for him since he rescued you from prison. I'm not sure how it works, but I also think this stops you from going hollow. Either way you're in debt to him, so you do what he asked and then get sucked into being the "chosen undead" when you bump into Frampt.

Although since all you do in the main quest is sacrifice yourself for the fire, I think anyone could have that role. That's all I could think of anyway.

I'm not really sure what went on in Dark Souls 3 really, because I didn't really care about what was going on. Irithyl was okay I guess until you get to Anor Londo.

Next dark souls should be:
Dark Souls in Space: Prepare to Fly Edition
It would include space battles, lens flare, explosions, guns, lasers, all that cool shit.
It should have a Dues Ex tier "customize your dlc payment plan" system with different reward tiers for pre-ordering.
Also, all DLC will be day one DLC and you will have to pay $140 for the season pass in order to have the whole game.
Boss fights will be micro-transactions

What?

The only thing it is designed around is having a small range of buttons to control everything because controllers are so limited in the button quantity aspect.

I play it with mouse and keyboard just fine, it's easier to use whatever you're used to.

Yes, but if devs did the thing that was commonplace in older times of vidya games, where you'd hold the back buttons and press a face button to do a specific thing, thus adding four inputs to every back button, they wouldn't feel so sparing on command functions.

Mechanically speaking DS3 is the shittest souls game yet.

Who had the retarded idea of removing poise? And who removed midrolling, fastrolling, fatrolling and really fat rolling?

Why remove good features? Why remove spice from a dish?

No, the first Dark Souls is by far the easiest. The reason people find DS3 easier is because they're already used to all the mechanics and can play the game.

Be honest to yourself who in their right mind bothers with midroll. There's a simple solution, the greater your weight percentage the more stamina you consume when you roll and sprint.

Midroll was great, what are you talking about?

Didn't bother to read the rest of this shit. Go play a real competitive game.

Nobody bothers with midroll. As soon as you realize the risk is not worth the extra weight you never go back to it again.

This is news to me and I played ds1 a million times by now.

Midroll is perfectly fine.

Out of all my time playng co op and PvP about 5% of people midroll and almost all tend to been new players to the series.

pvpfags are reaching cancer levels that rival casuals. The whole online component to Souls games should be dropped.

Gwyndolyn is optional, Nito isn't.

Nito doesn't do any more or less for you alive or dead, m8

What the linear paths don't show is how fleshed out each level is. They all have a lot of paths through them to their end goal, and the game makes good use of that.

Nah, the online component is masterful. Seeing ghosts pass through things as you cross by? Wonderful. Seeing messages of support and advice? Also wonderful. The escalation of danger brought in by an enemy player? Wonderful again.

Elements of a game's community acting like this laggy-ass game should be a competitive multiplayer one? Hell no, not wonderful.

While I agree that map is very shallow, the areas are absolutely not fleshed out at all. The biggest area in the game is probably the length of lothric castle from dancer to the twin princess, and the gratuitous amount of bonfires there are makes it feel shorter.

More like massively immersion breaking and spoiler inducing. Seeing dozens of meme signs and blood stains all over my first playthrough was fucking horrendous, it made it feel like a fucking mmo. I cracked the game for every playthrough after.

The meme signs and general cancer came about around the end of DS1 on PC/the launch of DS2 ("Horse" haha so funney xD).

Easy access to coop was the biggest mistake From made. Invasions and coop should be coincidental, no an integral part of the game.