ITT: The strangest fanbases

ITT: The strangest fanbases

I don't know why but the idea of serious Halo fans that are not dudebros fascinates me. I see them making hour long youtube videos about how Halo 5 is ruining the brand' and talking about weapon respawn times and 'scope balancing' and long talks about staff members and their history and choices and it fascinates me, it is something i dont understand like watching apes at the zoo.

I mean in this case i suppose they can't all be dudebros, i enjoyed Halo1 and 2 enough as a console fps campaign for fun co-op but still 15 years later in the xbone era you would think the none dudebro contingent would move on.

What fanbases do you find strange for reasons beyond the usual sanic style deviance?

Other urls found in this thread:

forwarduntodawn.com/nine-levels-underground/)
halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mappers
Sure, CS has devolved into a skinnerbox, esports centric game but i'm very surprised that community mappers are still alive even though Valve have pretty much ignored them almost entirely and left the server browser in the dust. I'm amazed the shit they have done ever since 1.6 days though and i do hope they won't go away
Also embed related

I think the dudebros left Halo a long time ago, leaving genuine diehard Halo fans. There was one video I saw where this guy disected a lot on Halo 4, from Elites being able to melee kill you instantly, health value differences between you and the enemies on higher difficulties on CE, the plasma pistol draining faster in H4 compared to any of the other games, unreliable nature of the new weapons 343 put in the game, and the dude said he spent hundreds of hours into the campaigns for those games. He had a naisily voice but the video itself and what he said was fascinating, I'd expect a video like this for something like a PC game but not Halo.

I'd fuck an Elite

How utterly disappointing.

not sure if /cuteboys/ or /monster/ but pls go.

wew

Hardcore halo lorefag here: Dudebros haven't been a part of the franchise since Halo 3, where they more or less all jumped shipped to CoD. Ironically, the closest thing to dudebros I see now in the context of Halo are people i see here and on halfchan who, like dudebros back in the day, get pissy about the fact that there are other player characters and that 2 tried to flesh of the Covenant to have actual motives and internal politics, because

Anyways, I guess by extension you'd find the fact that there are people who, like me, care more about Halo's expanded universe and the novels then the games pretty strange. The Halo books are surprisingly actually pretty good. The lore community sort of died back during the end of the 2000's but it's made a comeback recently and there's a good amount of new content creators that make analyses and critical content about it.

My personal favorite stuff is still from Foward Unto Dawn's articles from back in the day, the 10 page breakdown of how ODST was an allegory to Dante's Inferno is still my favorite (forwarduntodawn.com/nine-levels-underground/) They actually just released a new (but pretty short, for them) article examining the Prophet of Trurth as a tragic but well intentioned political hero rather then as the villian he's normally seen as. Here's the source of these scale charts, by the way: halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html

I'm with
Why the fuck would some sort of weird alien creature have a mundane human penis evolved via monogamy to not have a bone?

there is actually an interesting amount of detail in the halo games that has largely been ignored or unknown to players who haven't played it or only spent a small amount of time playing it. This level of detail may be the reason for the games' success. Lots of players on other platforms assume because of the games popularity at one point with dudebro gamers the games are absolutely braindead, but there's a surprising amount of nuance going on there. I'm mostly a single player person but even in there, there's lots to enjoy. It's interesting how many PC gaming types compare Halo to arena shooters, when at best it has some arena like designs to its maps, but it has less in common with UT and Quake, and not just for speed reasons. If anything it's more of a counter-strike speed shooter but with sci-fi weapons and tactics.

If Halo 3 hit the PC, TF2 would have been DOA.

In lore, they have cloaca's and lay eggs. There's actually a bit in Broken Circle where an elite character is basically doing the elite version "Man, that girl's got a fat ass, wish she could bear my kids, what I wouldn't give to bend her over and stick my-" mentally before he gets cut off due to shit happening, so for now, the specifics of sangheili reproduction remain a mystery.

I'd disagree, it's pretty clearly an arena shooter

I'd also say it;'s definitely got the most in common with UT over any other shooter, or at least UT3 speffically. It's certainly not anything like CoD or Battlefield or any of those other shooters people compare it too.

It's more a tactical-arena shooter. A very interesting middle ground and one that clearly found a lot of success.

well I mean,

you obviously take that with a grain of salt and not go full retard like 343 did and basically do the opposite of what Bungie wanted with the Chief.

343 literally had at least a solid 50 years of Insurrection, and pretty much everything in the Human-Covenant war up until Reach to cover and just leave the Chief alone.

but no.
They had to take MC (Who, I always figured they called him that because Master Chief's initials can always be interpreted as Main Character) who they literally said was supposed to be a blank slate for the player, and went on the "abloo bloo bloo he's human under the armor" shit. I have no problem with them showing Chief as human, but they stuck that (which in my opinion was one of the few good parts of Halo 4) in a story with a retarded enemy and an even more retarded setting.

To be clear, I wasn't insulting people for getting mad at 4/5, I was insulting people who got mad at Halo 2 or having player characters other then MC in general. The people who actually just want to play as MC all the time and only care about him and being a badass and see any sort of plot or narrative complexcity as a bad thing.

I would have ABSOLUTELY preferred that MC's story end at Halo 3 and the franchise from that point on focused on spinoffs. As you say, there's a ton of potential for decades worth of spinoffs in either the Insurrection or more of the Human-Covenant war alone, not to mention the whole Jovian Moon/Rainforest war pre-UNSC stuff or if you really want to go out there, Covenant history or Forerunner era stuff.

I actually thought the setting and villian of 4 was fine, my issue was 4 is that they wasted that setting by having the UNSC get involved, and more importsntly, completely fucking dropped the ball on the execution of Cortana's Rampancy and trying to show more of John's character traits in game. Both he and Cortana act out of character and Rampancy is shown in a lore incossitent way, and putting that aside, just in a way that, at least to me, isn't executed well at all.

4 should have had cortana's rampancy play up her controlling and aggressive character traits, not reduce her to a scared little girl having temper tantrums. Have her gradually get more unhinged and controlling without her realizing how fucked up she's getting and MC coming to terms with the fact he needs to take her out (the idea that MC would seriously entertain chasing after deluded aspirations of fixing her by brigning her to halsey is ludirous). Don't get the UNSC involved, have it just be you and her, who keeps getting worse, needing to survive against Requim's wildlife and AI constructs, with maybe some covenant raiders here and there. End the game on Cortana trying to keep you trapped there with her foreevr and you finally taking her out and putting her out of her misery.

Essentially, metroid prime, halo edition.

If this is gonna be a Halo thread, did anyone see that canceled Mega Bloks Halo build? It doesnt look that bad, at least compared to something like the Lego games.

I think you can see a clear point in H5 where you just know Joe Staten was given a look at the script and he started doctoring it near the end when they get into Hard Light Cortana's motivations. That's when she starts showing the aggressive, clingy nature you allude to and trying to appeal to John via their relationship. 3/4ths of that campaign are horrible story wise but the last quarter is surprisingly good and an interesting setup for H6.

He's said he's not working on any Halo full time ever again but he gave pointers on H5 so at the very least they have him there to yell at 343i if they fuck up again (He's working on Scalebound, Crackdown 3 and "Some unannounced stuff" at the moment)

It looked really good. Apparently the devs didn't want to talk about it because it was a Vertical slice they pitched with and almost got greenlit when N-Space won the bid, but it was cancelled very quickly after that. It's suspected it might have been a politically motivated cancellation at MS (It's been hinted it was a Don Matrick pet project and canned because of Matrick being fired).

Looked fun though. Sucks it got cancelled.

What I don't get about the new Requiem trilogy is how the UNSC managed to get back up after only 7 years. Didn't nearly every colony they had get glassed by the Covenant until they were stopped at Earth? I don't think a decade is enough to recover from damage like that. If the timeskip had been 50 years maybe, but 7 year is implausible at best.

Dudebro became an SJW word.

You're just projecting hardcore man.

Yeah, i'm actually overall a lot more postive on 343 then most people, and I think on a story to story basis, they've actually done a great job, 4 and 5 aside, since Broken Circle, Last Light, Shadow of Intent, and the Forerunner triology were all great and most of their novels other then that are still pretty decent, but them rushing the state of the universe so the UNSC recovered so fast and then bringing Jul's covenant remant into the fray, getting rid of them, bringing the Ur-Didacts, then getting rid of HIM, and not introducing the Created and Banished, is way, way, WAY too much, way too fucking fast.

Where the state of the universe is now in 2558 is where it should be in like, 2630. They are rushing plot lines and story threads like crazy. If they hadn't done that, that alone I think would have resulted in 4 and 5 being like 50% better story wise.

Well, he wrote Shadow of Intent for 343, so who knows. He was on stream for one of Xbox's weekly dev hangouts or whatever a few months ago, actually, and I *think* it got asked there if he would do more Halo stuff, but I don't recall for certain.

I unforantely only found out about it after the fact, I wish so badly I could have asked him what his original plan for Truth's endgame, what he wasgoing to use the slipspace crystal shards from First Strike for, and what was responslbe for the personality change in him we saw in 3.

It looked pretty polished for a prototype, if nothing else. A bit peeved the guy running the channel won't leak the build but I understand that he sort of can't or else MS will bumfuck him. Though Gamecheat13 and lordzed and co get away with that sort of thing all the time, the absolute madmen they are.

teletubbies

I thought I was the only one

I mean, there's plenty of people who are super into Halo's lore.

Maybe not so much here since 8ch is even more hostile to halo then halfchan is, though.

then again everybody and their own grandmother watch that show for how nonsensical and weirdly charming the show is

Didn't all of those turned out to be fake
who am i kidding people will still watch it just for the novelty of believing that a myth does exist