Dark Souls Japanese Localization Released, Outrageous Price

From the Dark Souls Steam community hub:

If you already own the game, you can go into the properties and download a 284MB patch that will allow you to play in Japanese. If you live in Japan, however, you have to pay 4,937 yen, or around 42.19USD, which is quite close to new retail prices.

Nearly full price for a 5 year old game. What say you, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sounds like a fucked up contract because I dont think these games are as popular in japan as elsewhere

The Japanese are the casual now

The comment section in the community hub is terminal, but this doesn't change much of anything as any autist who'd be interested in what the original text is for items would already know where to get it.

Where is the link? What the fuck are you talking about.

Are you fucking illiterate? The game, a 5 year old game, just dropped in Japan on PC, and for nearly full price. There is no link, that description in the OP was taken from the Steam community hub. If international users outside of Japan own the game on Steam, they can download a patch that will allow them to play in Japanese.

This is the way it's been for more than a decade. I wonder what happened?

It's not like western PC fags get ports of japanese console releases really late too.

You mean the iPhone happened.

So is it just the subtitles/text in Japanese, or are they updating the voices to be Jap as well? I thought a Japanese version already existed, unless that's only for consoles. $42 is completely fucked, though, especially since the game itself is only $10 now

Subtitles and text only. Also, it's not technically an update, it's an official Japanese PC release, because apparently Japan doesn't have much of a PC market and the game was never released there, that just so happens to also be available internationally. Mods won't work with it, either, so can't use DSFIX or DSCM, and the connectivity seems pretty terrible. I only played for a few hours, but I didn't see a single summon sign, ghost, bloodstain, or message, and I never got invaded.

I swear I remember reading that japanese players were upset that the version everybody else got was dumbed down from what they had.

It wasn't released on PC/their version of Steam, but it was available for consoles

What the fuck? Isn't this game a Japanese game? How could it take them five years to port this?

Worthless

I replayed part of it fairly recently, I got up to O&S using a split damage weapon before dropping it, and even with changing the download region I never saw more than a handful of people I could summon which never worked when I tried, but there were 2-3 non-npc invasions.

The PC port was really shit and there's virtually no PC market in Japan because it's over a decade behind or some stupid shit like that.

I say what I've been saying since
They're jews. Why does anyone still support them?

I wish I could play it online, I'm having fun with coop and invasions in DS3. And I like 1 better than 3, so I wish I could just fucking play the online. Fucking sucks that I got into the series too late for it.

Japan has always been pretty casual. They just don't take it up the ass like americans do.

The rerelease was 2, and the only argument I could even see them trying to justify it was that it included all of the dlc because they rerelease the game after they finish shitting out the dlc they're required to do.

I'm glad I picked up the series before 2 came out, but I'm still upset that I didn't get around to playing Demon's Souls until after it had more or less died.

Is that why Call of Duty and Pokemon Go are the top seller games there?

Smart phones, The hardcore gamer audience in japan are mainly from the PS2 gen and things like Mon hunter still dominate. They want PS2 style games still and graphic novels. They dont care about innovation or change in their gaming. Nothing its basically stagnated.

They younger gen that is should have wanted more NEW bells and whistles and experiences. Well they are all on smartphones and playing casual smart phone games.

You need Wulf's Dark Souls Connectivity Mod (DSCM). The game is still very active, but you need this mod or you wont' be able to connect for shit.

Nope. They rereleased 1 too. I was wrong about DX11 though, it was DX10. They initially released the game running on DX9.

I can totally understand this shit from a game like Deadly Premonition with it's development shit, but D4 fixed most of it's problems and runs leagues better on PC. Dark Souls 3 just proves From is a shitty developer.

Are Japanese characters really memory intensive or something?

Wrong. Dark Souls 2 was released on DX9 and the SotFS version released on DX11. The first game only has one version and the third game only has one version on PC.

Text as in graphics like signs and shit

Subtitles, all of the in-game text descriptions, and every loading screen have to be redone with it.

Not to mention that the movies that have subtitles need to be subbed, so you'll have to download those along with the rest. Fortunately, there's only a few movies that have any voice at all; I think just the introduction movie and the two endings/credits.

I tried that but it didn't seem to do anything, I guess I'll try again when my power comes back on.

support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711
Make sure your ports are forwarded, or that you have port triggering set up. It really helps your ability to connect. If you don't know how to do that, there are a shit ton of tutorials out there.

omg so hard

No one said that, now fuck off baiting faggot.

It's funny how they keep working on DaS. It almost would be beneficial for them to just remake the game.

That would be nice but considering that almost everything since DaS has been pretty much downhillinb4 someone gets triggered and brings up bloodborne, that might not be a good idea. Also I would prefer a PC demon's souls remake first.

PC Demon's Souls can't happen since Sony owns the IP, wait for the PS3 emulator

I doubt they'd be that proactive enough for that. It'd just be more ports maybe with updated textures. They're lazy fucks, they can't even be bothered to fix their own games.

Those fucking kikes. They don't even have a port for PS4, can't they just let it go? It's not like bloodborne, which fucking sold that console and virtually nothing else.

Yeah, you always gotta be wary of the monkeys paw, but really, all they would have to do is up the graphics and smooth out some of the technical flaws. Maybe redo the bed of chaos boss.

That would be all it would take to get my money again.

Why would they remake a game that still looks and plays greatly

There were tons of technical issues with the PC port and they could up the graphics, though they'd have to be careful not to fuck up the atmosphere.

Still, it has been long enough that I wouldn't mind an updated version… also, I just want an excuse to beat Dark Souls again seeing as I didn't like the second game and from what I've seen of the third it doesn't look like it did to much right either. I still need to beat DeS so maybe I'll just go back and focus on that.

The graphics are ok, but it would be nice to have 60 fps officially supported, and to have the online fixed and officially supported.

I didn't even think about that. It really is a whole new beast when you mod/fix it. That would be nice.

and I just meant they might as well up them slightly if they were going to do all the work. It seems like they are still supporting it and every time they make a new one they shit the bed.

Again though, monkeys paw. My guess it that they would fuck the remake up somehow and not just up certain aspects and fix others, kinda like what I'm expecting with REmake 2… that is if RE7 doesn't kill the franchise.

It's not hard to bait souls fans, considering their favorite game has shitty ports.

If you install some patches and have a decent rig from the past 6 years DS1 is fine honestly. Which is no excuse but still more practical than playing on console.

No one said the ports were good, and the game is fun despite it. How about you take your strawmen to reddit? You'll certainly get more ebin troll responses there.

exactly you don't excuse shit. if i sprayed air freshener on a pile of dog shit would you hold it in your bare hands?

literally yhe only people to every tell anyone to go back to reddit in earnest are from reddit. kys fam

Never said to go back to reddit, just saying your bait would farther there. Also do you have a single fact to prove I am from reddit. Anyway, since you are baiting and using a sage downvote, I'll stop replying now.

Yes

lets start from the top:

Shills.

Wait, they're acknowledging modding?

Your analogy is what's shit here. It's more like a Diamond that smells like dogshit. I'm not saying the ports are good but there's no reason not to go PC unless you're a poorfag who can't run the game on your old rig and already own a console for the game. The base game is still good and the differences are tiny if you own a PC that can run it.

I love how delusional souls fanboys are that they both excuse and acknowledge shit in the same breath.

This seems relevant

see you took the downvote sage off, I'm proud of you. If you're baiting and you know you're gonna get replies, no need to sage.

that's actually really interesting, source?

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro, chapter 14.

just forgot it fam. i like how you're still talking to me.

Can't the japs just rearn Engrish?

Can we just sticky a cyclical Souls game general? This shit has had a thread almost daily ever since it came out, jesus fuck.

I'm not really sure that you're trying to say here. The port is crap but if you have a rig that runs it there's no difference from the console version besides being able to run connectivity mods and patches that actually improve performance.

Triggered. Everyone should do hunting at some point, to understand death; pain; suffering and not wasting natural resources.

Who gives a fuck what some deer feels? It's a dumb animal whose sole purpose is to become food.

Could make the same argument for cats and dogs. You're no China fag are you?

Fuck off chinaman.

You must be from China because you can't read common English. Go back to eating bamboo and celebrating communism you fuck.

Please never post again, your stupidity gave me cancer.

Wait what, I dont understand. It was made by japanese developers, why would they need to localize it.

I started playing it 3 weeks ago.
I just beat Manus, there was some summons signs this afternoon but after 5pm nothing at all.
I'm like level 61.

Game is a game. Art doesn't age. If you buy it, buy it at whatever price it is sold.
If it's too expensive for you - pirate it.
"Game X years old should cost X monies" is some fucking retarded shit.

They only problem with that image is that eating raw meat can give her parasites that are difficult to get rid of.
Chances are her dad is not very medically educated person.

What about the concept of depreciated value? The game has been on consoles in Japan since 2011, and this newly released port doesn't offer any upgraded fidelity, or any other improvements, that would warrant its price. From the consumer's perspective, there's no reason to currently buy this game over the console version, which can likely be grabbed for a pittance compared to this. Don't you think they should've at least updated the game so that it runs at 60 fps or offered something to legitimately increase its value? If I were in Nippon, I'd just make a foreign Steam account and grab the international version for cheap, then slap on a language mod. You can do this for free.

Why not send the patch to 2ch and let them have it?

Or is Japan's piracy laws so strict, even they don't fuck with it?

do you get all your information from kotaku

I don't run mods anyway, so that's fine that it broke mods (for me). But this is exactly what I've been hoping for. I recently started going hard on learning the Japanese language a few days ago, just finished the Katakana and Hiragana, done a few of the Kanji. Now the localization option becomes available. どもありがとうございます!!

What's the matter? To busy eating dog to make a clever post? Get back to the sweatshop Tung Lee.

Why would anyone want this?

Because there is a chance (however remote) That Priscilla will have a tsundere voice

So I picked Japanese, but the text is all the same.

There are no Japanese VOs for Dark Souls (or any other From Soft game), it's all a text language choice.

Let it burn.

You'd have to pay me to replay DaS1 at this point.