What's the deal with the dub of this game?

What's the deal with the dub of this game?
Did they just get people off the street?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/jxC6o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how about you play the undub version made by Kogami or the other guy from the Shenmue Dojo?

Also Shenmue 2 got Japanese dubs on the Dreamcast Release in EUR.

Come on dude, the extreme literal translations (sometimes leading to vid related situations) and the ENG voice acting were part of the charm of the game.

dubs were never good.

no, they butchered the game.

You say that, but I found the game far more charming in it's original Japanese with subtitles.

The games production values were already through the roof, it makes sense the barely could afford more for voice acting. But it makes it more charming when its a serious story with poor acting.

Anons, I'm scared.

Can anyone link me a complete long play of Shenmue I and II with eng subs but jap voices?
Youtube only gets me shitty normal Shenmue and I don't want to play the game again right now.

Reminder this exists.

Whats the difference?

At least we'll actually get closer to wrapping up the plot somewhat if the game flops, and we have Yakuza which is more or less a spiritual successor.

Shenmue US is just Shenmue with the English voices for the Japs.
Suzuki claims it was made because he loves the English voices. But it was most likely made to get people to buy the same game and try to recoup the huge development losses Sega made with this.

It's a Japanese game and it was a product from an era were games weren't carefully crafted movies yet.

Voice acting in old games are all pretty bad if you hadn't noticed. There are a few gems here and there but for the most part it was all underpayed B actors who were brought in a shitty studio for a few hours without preparation.

there's literally nothing wrong with that dub

they were only bad in America. Japanese games have solid voice acting.

Suzuki wanted to control very aspect of Shenmue including its dub, even though he didn't know English. Just read this: archive.is/jxC6o

I don't know but it makes the main character sound like he has Aspergers

I seeā€¦

Are you not aware that this game is mostly set on the streets? From my understanding, this is how people outside speak.

Tell me more about these "people outside"

I can handle a shit dub if its at least funny

EXCUSE ME

i take a bad dub over nip screeching any day of the week. nip voices cause pain to my ears

Wasn't this game fucking expensive to make, probably didn't have any kind of budget to hire anyone good by that point

Check'd

He's not bullshitting you, Japs used to pull that shit all the time. It's why mega man was voiced by a fucking real estate agent or shit like Resident Evil or vid related exists. On the other hand, there's also Silent Hill 2.

Not really, you just think they're good because they're Japanese.

I think Silent Hill 2 was fine, and Guy Cihi did an alright job, but he was arguably the worst VA they cast for the job. Angela's was definitely the best.

Epic post.

All western dubs are shit. Please return to reddit.

Madbull is great.

fun fact: they did just that when they were doing the English VO for infinite undiscovery and my buddy ended up being the main villain. it shows

the difference here is that with seiyuus they're actually trained and taught instead of pullled off the street,big name celebrity,game staff, etc.

I honestly thought the acting was pretty good and only cheesy in a few spots. I prefer the dub.

Best part of the dub is when you go to play a ball toy game.