Sucking in strategy games, but liking them

Am i the only person, who always sets the worst AI of the opponent, just to build and try for peaceful playthrough? I suck, i suck at strategy games, all of them, both turn based or not. Pretty much i have brain damage. But i love to play them for expansion of my territories and building stuff, and then trying to get peaceful relationship with the enemy only to just continue building stuff.

I probably also can get money for being autistic, but that's aside the question.

Play the Anno series, Anno 1404 is the objectively best one.

You think i should switch my preferences to city building games?

try not being bad

Anno isn't purely a city building game, there's still warfare against other players, but the emphasis on peaceful building is greater. It's also more challenging and deeper than in other games, especially production chains and minmaxing space and islands for the most productivity. The game was designed to be played in the playstyle you prefer.

Every time i set AI of enemies on something above "very easy", i get no fun allowed rush of millions of enemy units towards me like crazy. Or when i play civilization on anything above warlord, i sign open borders and then get attacked inside my territories, because enemy is fucking cunt.

I'l try it, thanks.

Forgot to mention, in burgerland the series is called Dawn of Discovery

play a good 4x, that works too

Try a GSG.

I remember playing DoW against the A.I. and just locking down the Enemy base so I don't kill them but they can't expand at all, and then just building all over the map and making this organised military base.

I somewhat understand the feeling, I've done very easy buildan games of age of kings, making five lines of fortification and shit. It's just not all I play.
You might want to try total annihilation/supreme commander 1, there are fuckloads of defensive options (complete turtling while you build an expensive as fuck ultimate weapon is a legit strategy) and building is quite satisfying.

I was like that as a kid when I was still hopelessly bad at RTS games. I remember playing C&C Red Alert as a kid and I just defended my base basically, building turrets and stuff and just tried to survive. I rarely won and when I managed to win it was because the enemy AI had bugged or ran out of resources or something.

These days I'm more competent which means I also enjoy more competent and aggressive game style.

I know that feel, I play RTS to relax and can't play seriously.

DoW3 does, shame the rest of it is complete shit.

I'm with you, OP, I play Rise of Nations with friends but I always forget about the military. I expand my civ and multiply lots of my productivity because the lack of spending in war. In the end, one small army can annihilate me in minutes. I miss the time when we played in diplomacy, I would always get an ally to protect me while I tech'd all up, and tactical nuke our enemies into submission while he conquered the cities on foot.

I've been trying to play EU4 for over a year now but I just quit after realising that it's impossible for me to accomplish my goals without using cheats or playing as the Ottomans (which is the same as using cheats since the devs made them OP as fuck), most of the times I just ragequit around 1500 or even earlier.

This might not apply to AI, but should you have humans to play against, for the love of god read the Art of War.
Not only is it the greatest book of all time, but it can apply quite literally everywhere. Socially, economically, militarily, leadership, diplomacy, trade, all of it. It doesn't just apply to war. And of course, it can apply in a Civ video game like this.

Seriously user, read it. Analyze it. Read it again. Reabsorb it. I'm on my 3rd reread now. It will help you.

The whole point of strategies is to bully someone. You build so you get a pointier stick, you expand so you get more wood for sticks, and you strategize so you know where to shove said stick so it's hurts the most.

Pax Romana, motherfucker, is an early grave

The problem isn't you, it's the AI.
Strategy games have had shit AI for years. It is extremely hard to program an AI to win a game that isn't as simple as chess, and when you take free unit movement and custom maps into account it will get even worse and CPU taxing.
This is why most developers tend to change the AI difficulty by making the AI cheat. On easy they get the same resources as you, on hard they get twice, and on extra hard they get thrice etc.
Don't feel bad for playing on easy, it's the only "fair" AI difficulty there is.
You should switch to multiplayer and play with a couple of friends, or Holla Forumsirgins. Even if you fail to do your part, your friend can help you out and give you advice. you can also learn from watching them play and do their job properly.
Don't feel bad for trying to improve, don't feel bad for not being successful, feel bad for giving up.

yeah, no you're not the only one, I couldn't get past the first mission of jagged alliance 2 when I played it and this fat fuck was screaming at me for being shit at it I know you're reading you cunt add me or die already fuck off WEEB

shut up you pretentious know all faggot I read it and it's all garbage about armies and ling long shit it doesn't apply anywhere

god I love video games

The book also generally reads like a quotebook, meaning you will finish it much faster than you would expect. Also try to get a version that still has /k/ shit in it, a lot of publishers like to leave it out because "lol who cares about that shit, nobody uses swords anymore"
The book can be summed up by simply saying that actual physical fighting is by far the least important thing when it comes to war. It is still a worthwhile read, just don't expect super complex concepts.

This, agreed. Also,
The most advanced and skilled concepts are usually the simplest ones.

There's always a bigger blob that demands a bigger stick.

Cheeky fuckers

I suppose the next one up would've been called Floh. :^)

But I'm not that's the whole point, actually:^)

I was in the same situation for almost a decade.
I always used to just build up a small, easy to control army and then watch it fight against the enemy. This would sometimes make me lose.
A few years ago I somehow got over it and can now play any strategy game without a problem and even have a go against other people in Warcraft 3 ranked.

I have no idea how or why it happened though.
I remember watching videos of tournament pros playing but those can't be solely responsible.
Try being more aggressive in the way you play. That's all I can say.

oh, youve played it?

just play some city builders

I do what you do aswell OP. But i play coy, try to hide my armies away from the base so it looks nice and big but my opponent thinks i'm a retard for not having a big enough army to defend it.

I let him do the first mistake, which is attacking me without knowledge of my resources. Then blam, i wipe out his army and go over to his base and defeat him. Usually works against normal retards in multiplayer in any strategy game that isn't retarded in it's unit-producing.

Trying playing a civilization builder like Dwarf Fortress or RimWorld (DF for babbies). Maybe you'll like it. There's still combat but it's more about decision making rather than efficiency and actions per minute because of the play/pause feature.

凡战者,以正合,以奇胜。故善出奇者,无穷如天地,不竭如江河,终而复始,日月是也;死而复生,四时是也。声不过五,五声之变,不可胜听也。色不过五,五色之变,不可胜观也。味不过五,五味之变,不可胜尝也。战势不过奇正,奇正之变,不可胜穷也。奇正相生,如循环之无端,孰能穷之哉

Dubs for this user.

Play the Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire expansion with a faction from the expansion against others from the original game. That would give you enough advantage to win up to the Talent difficulty level.