Nintendo General

What do you think was the highest point of Nintendo Game Development, and their games/franchises in general? Is Nintendo really that fucked because of their treehouse, or could it still change? I mean, Splatoon showed some potential regarding new franchises, but third person shooter is a franchise nintendo never really tried to master, do you think they're actually going to try and make a new action series or platformers? Probably not, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/play-gamecube-games-wii-u-nintendont/
youtube.com/watch?v=KkKX-nU9fX4
please
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Breath of the Wild

The era encompassing NES/Game Boy/SNES?

I don't think there was a better era than that to be a consumer of Nintendo products.

Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era was pretty fucking great albeit not as good as SNES times

Maybe it's me but was SNES their only overall solid console?
Nes = shovelware
N64 = No gaymes
GameCube = No gaynes (with a few solid but underrated titles here and there)
Wii = shovelware
Wii u = No gaymes

Nintendo has been going downhill ever since Sony entered the business to show them how it's done.

Their highest point creatively was on Gamecube and I take the continued nostalgia for Gamecube-era games to be the smoking gun that they have failed in the decade since it was dropped to match that same level of quality.

The Gamecube was shit beyond its exclusives dude, take off your nostalgia glasses.

Uh oh, someone has barely played any NES/FC games i see, yeah there was shovelware but there were also LOTS of great exclusives.

I want something like pic related, or a Scott Pilgrim/Melee/MUGEN Hybrid.

Also, personally, I think the best generations were the SNES and Gamecube, having the N64 following third, then the Wii.

First-party Nintendo creatively died at the sixth generation. I mean, have they made anything interesting since the Gamecube and GBA?

Captain Rainbow was pretty creative but they never released it outside of Japan.

Step it up famalam, quality over quantity and SMS is the true 8bit machine.

Now this is just bait, the NES had easily 100 must play games, the SMS had like 10, a shitty soundchip, less buttons and no support outside of Europe and Japan.

It's not bait, SMS is a better system. It has way more than 10 worthwhile games.
Let me guess, if I said
Your next line would be
Right?

Also it's not fair you mention FC, yet you're forgetting the Brazilian, European, and Japanese exclusives on the SMS

Oh and SMS is backwards compatible with sg 1000

It doesn't matter if its better hardware wise when it barely has any good games, yeah i was wrong it probably has like 20-30 good exclusives but the NES still has a lot mire
No, stop making assumptions Jimbo, i'm fully aware of the superior 2D capabilities of the Saturn and its multiple experimental games. I could make a list of all the great NES games with the given time and a SMS list would just pale in comparison. The fact that the NES completely blew the SMS out of the water when it comes to amount of good games (im not talking about the raw amount of game, since there was lots of shit by LJN etc) and good exclusives, there's no arguing there.

How am i forgetting Europe if i mentioned it? Most of the Brazilian games were Game Gear ports tho

Nothing of value there

Pic related without a doubt. One of the most fun, immersive and most well written game that I ever played.

Is hard to find a game that don't have any flaws but this game does not have any. Even after I finished the game, the story, the lore and everything from this game is still inspiring me. Is so good that I consider it the best game that I played in my entire life( Magnavox Odyssey² user) .
I did not know who was H.P Lovecraft and other authors mentioned in the game but after reading the books I discovered the literature that I like and this make me love more and more this game.
Some people will say that this game is overrated , those people never played this game.
After this game Nintendo went downhill

Snes was the most solid console of Nintendo and it have the most varied and fun games.

it hurts

Thank you user! I'm going to download this one

That looks pretty cool. I like the gamecube as well, but the biggest problem is that everygame for the system worth giving a shit about is $30 or more.

Nintendo's absolute peak was the stretch from the SNES to the N64. I think the biggest problem for Nintendo is how far removed they are from that peak in terms of just years. Lots of kids didn't grow up with Nintendo being the major player and a lot of their older fan base has moved on.

Nintendo has reached A LOT of highs and lows so its impossible to pinpoint when their peak was

The NES was their ticket to the mainstream
By the year 2000 not only did they have the highest rated videogame of all time one their hands OoT but their investment with GameFreak had payed off as Pokemon Red and Blue become the fastest selling games at the time and among the best selling of all time. All while the Pokemon anime was making bank at the box office.

The Nintendo DS became the best selling console, of all time along with the Playstation 2 while the Wii was also making bank

They've hit more recent success with Pokemon Go while the 3DS is actually fairly strong against mobile shit

Now I'm purely talking money here, which is unfortunately the bottom line. If we're talking in terms of quality, probably somewhere between the mid 1990s to the mid 2000s, but that could be said for pretty much the entire industry.

you're welcome, also save your progress after the credits roll, and continue your battle by starting a new game with the GCN Memory Card you saved your cleared data on.

What if I'm using Nintendont?

Dolphin emulator have the save data options

….

Use Dolphin the emulator of Gamecube and download the Iso for the game

I'm playing it on the Wii U with an emulated memory card though

Hmm.. Wii U have the possibility of playing Game Cube games? Dunno
But If you have a good computer you can play it

makeuseof.com/tag/play-gamecube-games-wii-u-nintendont/
i DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS NINTENDONT WAS LOL

Pretty cool eh?

Really cool, I must admit

When you think about the SNES could be seen as Nintendo last "normal" console. A console that wasn't held back by it game media format or it's hardware specs. And then time moved on and optical discs became the chosen console format (larger, cheaper, more space) than carts which Nintendo stuck with and caused them to lose 3rd parties to PS1.

And then that divide grew further with Nintendo only using mini discs and deciding the GCN online games weren't worth it. While the competition lead the charge and made these features mainstream, they went on their own path and well . . . end up appearing behind the competition in comparison (online, graphics, DLC, etc).

Basically trends back in the day were slower and Nintendo could adapt or lead the charge, now in a ever growing and more connected world, trends are faster and Nintendo is trying to catch up and is struggling to adapt to them or repeating other companies mistakes. (Eg: HD graphics development delays).

Probably the SNES days.

That could be said for the 16-bit era in general. I think 16-bit graphics are the "standard" game graphics. What most people probably think of when they imagine a generic "game-y game"

Not to mention that most 16 bit era games have aged like fine wine.

To me, Sunshine and majoras mask were the best nintendo games played so far. Sure, both games were evidently rushed, but sunshine was really the last mario game that tried anything new (fludd was was so fucking fun to control, if he comes back for the swich it'll be a must buy for me.) Also, was there any other zelda game were you had a completely new mechanic (transforming masks) that gqve you completely new abilitys? Why did Nintendo stagnate so badly?

Panasonic Q solved one of the only real problems the Gamecube had in the lack of DVD playback. It still requires the ((RARE)) component cable for the best video, though.

The Panasonic Q, while neat and good looking, is pretty pointless considering a modded wii can play DVDs, Gamecube,wii games and display component quality signals for much cheaper

The older staff are dickheads with territory phobia, they don't want competition to fuck with that.

SNES was the last good console. Then a huge gap and then DS Lite was good.

I would say that they peaked at the SNES, declined slightly with the N64 which stayed the same until 2007, and then started declining at a steady pace. Until around 2014 or so, where the the quality dive was absolutely massive.

It seems that the NX is gonna flop and that this might be the last era of consoles in general.

I miss the SNES, PS1, PS2/Gamecube days.

Got any source to that?

Why should this be the last gen of consoles? Wii made a huge amount of money, as well as PS4, even the PS4 Pro is doing fine considering how shitty it is… i guess NX is going to sell like hotcakes in japan, as for the rest… in any case, im assuming Consoles will never be doomed until consumer mentality changes

You mean the only real reason why people buy game consoles? Look here you retarded nigger, there's more than 20 GC exclusive games that make it worth buying.
And don't even try to say it was shit beyond it's exclusives when it's got multi-plat games like I-Ninja, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters, Simpsons: Hit & Run, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Soul Calibur II and Skies of Arcadia just to name a handful. The Gamecube is second to the SNES in terms of the best Nintendo home console.

because it's ideologically opposed to PC gaming or something

Miyamoto pissing on the Splatoon devs and Yoshiaki Koizumi.

Sounds like more like Miyamoto spewing salt because he's jealous that the Splatoon devs incorporated gyro aiming into gameplay better than he did.

what does that even mean? How does this mean consoles are doomed?

Old consoles were fixed hardware platforms that would be milked a few years before a new console was released in a generational leap.

Now all the major manufacturers are on-board with backward and forward compatible incremental refreshes. 3DS vs. New 3DS, PS4 vs. PS4 Pro, Xbone vs. Scorpio. Nintendo is even combining their home console and portable platforms for the Switch. Everything is based on customizations of fairly standard AMD and NVIDIA SoCs.

It's looking like from now on, the PS4/Xbone/Switch brands will continue indefinitely, receiving a refresh every few years while the old models continue to play games at lower fidelity. If not like a PC (where the degrees of customization are simply too great for the normalfags to handle), this is like the smartphone or tablet business model. Your iThing still works and receives updates for years after it is released, yet normalfags buy the shiny new one every 2 years anyway.

This is what he meant by "last console generation." Not that consoles are doomed, but that this could literally be the last generation as consoles become iOS-like platforms.

Oh, dat makes sense :)))) i feel great btw, tho im very tired

wow, hotwheels really let himself go

This game is now more expensive than when it was originally released.

I'm still looking for a copy so I can beat it for the third and final time.

What was it about the year 2007 when nintendo declined so much in your oppinion?

Ah, now i understand. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Nintendo is fucked because Nintendo of America could not give any less of a shit about its fans. Nintendo of Japan is doing alright for themselves and do seem to be making attempts to at least provide what little they still have to offer for their fans, but Nintendo of America is outright antagonistic towards their consumerbase.

This nigga knows. The "hurr gamecube sucked XDDD" meme comes from salty ps2 fanfaggots.

I disagree. I dont see how the existence of PS4 HD and XBone HD means that things will be incremental forever. If anything, the way exclusive New 3DS games have been extremely sparce is evidence that it WONT be the case. No one is gonna buy into this ridiculous "buy the semi better version!" nonsense. Sony and MS's evolved consoles will shit the bed. The Switch will do well because it represents the next step.
People arent dumb enough to get suckered into buying a new console every 2 years.

Miyamoto is already going senile in his old age.
I feel bad for the Splatoon devs that the switch is likely to flop.

NOA is cancer. NOE is pretty good, doing the best they can with not being home base nor the favourite child, despite having to deal with a fuck-ton more busy work regarding localisation and distribution than NOA. Hell, they even managed to bring Xenoblade to the West and that worked out pretty well for Nintendo.
I just hope something actually happens and Nintendo either steps in and shakes up NOA or Reggie quits and someone else takes over and shakes it up internally, because the ramifications of NOA's complete faggotry are felt world-wide on all platforms and it's pure fucking cancer.

People also used to buy consoles to get the best versions of multiplatforms like Ubisoft games on XB during 6th gen
Where?
Most of those games are not even that good or have better versions in other platforms except for SoA maybe.
Lol

Why would the "ps2 fanfaggots" be salty if they got a shitload of great games that would take anyone years to complete?

You're smart

I love all of those Konami games they released for the Gamecube.
_

To add to that, the gamecube has the gameboy player which adds 1049 Gameboy games, 576 Gameboy Color games, 1074 Gameboy Advance games to its library.

It also has one of, if not, the best controller of the generation.

NOPE

I would also like to point out that the 3rd party games released Gamecube usually were superior on Gamecube, if for nothing else then for its much superior controller.

Here is Resident Evil 4 for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=KkKX-nU9fX4

Visually yeah, sucks that the GC version doesn't have the extra costumes, weapon, and game modes though.

At least there are virtually no loading times or frame rate drops in the Cube version.

I've never played the PS2 version so I wouldn't know about any frame drops or load time issues. Gamecube is boss though.

I haven't played the PS2 version either. Here's a link to the list of differences between the two versions:
please use archive.ism/faqs/2006/biohazard-4-bonus-disc-gcnps2-version-differences-faq-662435

you don't think the gamecube had any good exclusive games?

really?

Lots of good classics from first party and "big" devs like Capcom.
Same as NES but better overall.
Really mediocre other than Nintendo/Rare/Treasure games and a select few other games like HM64.
It not having many 2d-sprite based games really killed it.
Particularly bad was having almost no support from Capcom, who only released 3 games on the N64, like seriously, where where all the good Capcom fighting games and shit?
Not even to mention that Nintendo pissed off Squaresoft so they didnt get a single game from them.
Lots of fantastic exclusives, both from Nintendo and 3rd party. Tied for my favourite with SNES.
Really terrible. Even most of the first party games arent worth owning. Basically has a handful of good games and that's it.
Less good games than the Wii, but the few that are worth getting are better than most Wii games.
Basically while Wii has a decent handful of "good" games, the Wii U has less than a handful of "great" games.

I remember GB/GBC games really fondly, but whenever I actually go back to play them im almost always dissapointed. Good for the time but they really dont hold up for me anymore.
Pretty good portable. Pretty much just a slightly weaker, but portable SNES. Only big problem with it is not having 4 face buttons, meaning stuff like the street figher A3 port were really awkward to play.
Had potential to be better than the GBA, but ruined that by overeliance on gimmicks.
Games that that barely used gimmicks were good though.
Overall just a slightly worse GBA.
As a side note, where the fuck was Street Fighter? It had 4 face buttons +2 shoulder this time, so where the fuck was SF?
Just the DS with a worse library and shittier battery life.

Oh man i sure enjoyed Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, MGS2&3, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Dark Cloud, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy mainline, Dragon Quest 8, a serious quality driving sim like GT4 or FM, Armored Core, Monster Hunter, God Hand, Black, ZOE, Otogi 2, Metal Wolf Chaos and all those other great Gamecube games.
Because it was
Power doesn't mean shit when you don't have games, baby, look at the Dreamcast.
Had shittier versions, look at SC: Double Agent on GameCube and then on XB, and most isn't really the case, it was about 50%. Embarassing
Thanks.

Most of that is shovelware and the PS2/XB have had GBA/GBC/GB emulators since over a decade.

Here's just one of thousand examples of a multiplatform on GC, it looks better than the PS2 version but looks abysmal compared to XB

NES, N64 and Wii were the riskiest. SNES, GameCube and WiiU should've had the best libraries (they were basically improved versions of the preceeding consoles.) GameCube and WiiU dropped the ball, SNES is best.

I'd say it's around the Gamecube as far as the quality of the games go. I still think they've got the talent for the newer games, and a lot of them are good, but it feels like they're making some games out of obligation rather than because they have a good idea.
I will say that Nintendo's non-vidya programmers are great. Nintendo games and consoles usually have great menus, with all sorts of easter eggs and effects.
Mario is good, and is still good. The NSMB games have me a little worried but 3D World is fun as fuck. I do want to see another 64/Sunshine though.
Only Zelda I played was Link's Awakening, and I liked that a lot. I never got the appeal. Might try BOTW eventually.
Paper Mario is more hit and miss. Older games were great, but then they tried to reinvent the wheel a bit. I can appreciate that Super and Color Splash tried something different, but I'd rather see them try again rather than build on those games for the next title. Sticker Star doesn't exist
Pokemon got boring in gen 6. XY felt trapped in it's own ways, instead of trying something new. Which is especially bad since it's the gen that added a lot of new stuff. It had some good designs but everything else was just kinda there. Gen 7 brought in a new director, and ended up being fresh in comparison. I'm interested to see what they do in gen 8, but I hope they tone down the cutscenes a lot.
I only played 2 Mario Kart games. 64 was shit compared to Diddy Kong Racing, but 8 is great. I don't know when they ported DKR's drifting system to Mario Kart, but it makes the game really fun.
SEGA had a lot of advantages over Nintendo in the past because they focused on cool, radical games while Nintendo tried to keep that family friendly image. I'd prefer to see NoA actually give a fuck about the more mature franchises, instead of sabotaging them with shitty translations. I remember reading a theory that they were deliberately fucking up Xenoblade X's translation so that it wouldn't sell well, so they wouldn't have to translate similar games. Give 'em a kick up the ass and tell them to be more like '90s SEGA, or get them to hire some shitposters.

I hope the Switch is good. I like the idea of it, but I'm worried they'll do something really stupid and ruin it.

Are you asking for a list then? Because it seems your only reason for saying the Gamecube is shit is because it doesn't have games, when it has like over 80 exclusive games worth playing and many more multiplats worth playing as well.

Here are some I can think of:

animal crossing
battalion wars
bomberman generation
chibi robo
cubivore
f-zero gx
kirby air ride
the legend of zelda collectors edition
four swords adventure
master quest
wind waker
twilight princess
luigi's mansion
mario golf
double dash
mario party 4
mario party 5
mario party 6
mario party 7
mario power tennis
metroid prime
metroid prime 2
nba courtside 2002
paper mario the thousand year door
pikmin
pikmin 2
pokemon colosseum
pokemon xd gale of darkness
pokmeon box
resident evil remake
resident evil 2
resident evil 3
resident evil code veronica x
resident evil 0
sonic adventure 2 battle
sonic adventure dx
star fox adventures
star fox assault
star wars rogue squadron II: rogue leader
Star Wars: rogue Squadron III: rebel strike
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash bros melee
Viewtiful Joe
Wario Ware Inc
Wave Race Blue Storm
Zoids Battle legends
Ikaruga
Baten Kaitos
Baten kaitos Origin
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
Custom Robo
Fire Emblem path of radience
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Gotcha Force
Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon Another Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon Magical Melody
Mario Superstar Baseball
MGS Twin snakes
P.N. 03
Phantasy star online episode I & II +
Super monkey ball
super monkey ball 2
Tales of symphonia
Wario world
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Here are some region exclusives:

(PAL) Doshin the giant
(PAL) Donkey Konga
(PAL) Donkey Konga 2
(JP) Kururin Squash
(JP) Bonk's Adventure
(JP) Adventure Island Remake
(JP) Mr. Driller Drill Land
(JP) Nintendo Puzzle Collection
(JP) Naruto games
(JP) Zoids Vs
(JP) Zoids Vs III
(JP) Zoids Full Metal Crash

And a small list of games better on Gamecube:

Def jam vendetta (was also on PS2)
resident evil 4 (Was also on PS2)
Viewtiful Joe 2 (was also on PS2)
soul calibur 2 (was also on Xbox and PS2)

Granted, pokemon box isn't much of a game, but more of a storage app. It's still only on gamecube and super useful.

Also Skies of Arcadia Legends

Thats it? How pathetic

aka. The only GC, PS2 and Xbox game where the GC version sold the most copies.
People really wanted to play as Link.

Let's look at them now

N64 enhanced port
Meh
Meh
Not an actual exclusive, just a collection of Master Quest shit
Also on GBA
Also on Wii, pretty shit
Seriously, these are good exclusives?
LOL
not a good game
Not an exclusive, not even the best version
Same as above
Shit
Just an enhanced version of a shit game, also on PC
Same as above, PC version is better
Lol nope
A GBA port
Really? Scraping for exclusives now?
Also on PC
Shit
These are all the same and PS2 had its good share of em afaik
Lolwut
Worse than the original
So much better on PC its not even funny
Also on PS2
A N64 enhanced ñort
Shit remake of a good game
Same as above
Really now? Ps2 had like 10 of these and were all released in the US
Toy tie ins? Really now?
Shit hippity hop game
Less content
But still technically superior on XB, no Link tho

It's not like anyone wanted to play as fucking Spawn.

Not like Heihachi was much better, he doesn't even has a weapon.

Juggling's pretty deadly.

SNES was their only great console. Their strength is more in their handheld systems, though with the Switch potentially replacing the 3DS that reign may come to an end.

Not available on PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast and has entire NES games in game and E-reader compatibility :^)

Bomberman Generation is sick, Bomberman Jetters sucks 6 dicks and that's why I left it off

Also Sick but granted the only mode that really shines is city trail, but if you actually had friends to play with, this game is godlike

You're thinking of the master quest disc, which had regular OOT and the Master quest on separate discs. The collectors edition had the LoZ: 1, LoZ: 2, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and a Demo for Wind Waker.

That's actually a completely different game. The gamecube one is unique, unfortunately to play multiplayer though, you need to have some GBA's on hand as controllers.

Most find this to be the superior version of the game because of the controls. Also not on any other 6th gen console obviously.

I like the Mario Party games. I mean not all of them, but some of them. And they're not objectively bad games that don't work or anything. They're fun games.

It's good shit dude, you can create a character and everything. And it's exclusive.

I liked it quite a bit. It doesn't have the same feel as Colosseum, but it's still fun.

Which version is the best version? I hear people say N64 which I've heard is the worst version. I've never heard that the Dreamcast or Playstation versions were the better than the GC version either. Let me know.

Same, let me know the details on that.

It's not shit, it's just different. Like how Outbreak is different and not shit.

It's a good game, it just shouldn't have been a Star Fox game.

Yeah the PC version is better but by that logic, the best version of every one of these games is run on PC via Dolphin. I was talking about the 6th generation of game consoles and that the Gamecube holds up with the rest just fine.

The Gamecube version is all about the multiplayer and adds new game modes for multiplayer.

This game is in my top 10 Gamecube games. It's really good.

In compatibility mode? Also again this was more about the consoles.

I don't know shit about FF so you may be right. Some people say this is one of their favorites though so idk, maybe they're retarded.

I don't think they're all the same but, you're right, there are some on PS2.

Like Mario Golf and Tennis, this game is fun. I also left off the Soccer game which is really good too.

The voice acting and cutscenes may be whack, but it's cool to have some of the MGS2 mechanics in there.

Again, was talking about the other consoles. Phantasy Star III was also on here, that card game, but I didn't think it was much worth the mention.

Didn't know that, also worse on PS2 though.

Not just an N64 enhanced port, and N64 DD enhanced port. How the fuck are you gonna manage to play that shit if you don't play it on Gamecube.

Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen (Clash of The Ninja) 3
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen (Clash of The Ninja) 4

Zoids had 4 anime and several manga as well as some PS1, PS2, GB, GBC, GBA, Famicom, Xbox 360, ect. games released. The VS series is of the same gameplay style as Battle Legends (Battle Legends is actually VS II in Japan) and FMC is a fighting game.

This game was really good at the time, now it doesn't really hold up too well, the second game is a lot better.

Yeah sure but still looks a shitload better.

Yeah, Link is also OP as shit in that game and Spawn is kind of whack and I think he has some moves that other characters do, not too unique.

Nintendo died with Iwata.

Golden Age - 1981-1990
Silver Age - 1991-2000
Bronze Age - 2001-2008

Everything after was shit.

I consider the SNES/PS1 as the pinnacle of gaming, where the SNES represents the refinement of an era stretching back to the 2600, the PS1 contained the fruit of creativity, as there was suddenly a new level of technology to explore, and with it all the ideas that simply couldn't be done before.

Most mediums or artistic techniques go through this cycle, where novelty shifts into refinement, which then leads to either stagnation (which then leads to it's dismissal, which leaves it ripe for rediscovery later, or it becomes a cultural icon maintained by a dedicated following), or innovation, which starts the cycle over again. I mean you see this even in ancient societies.

It just feels like Nintendo lost their way after a point. They keep trying to innovate and refine at the same time. So they just end up with gimmicks, and then great games which ignore the gimmicks. Leaving them with weak libraries. The Wii innovated properly, and was a huge hit. The 3DS has an incredible library. No surprise they reached a status of (basically) printing money for nintendo.

The switch's gimmick seems to be that it's just a portable game system. Hopefully this leaves them free to load it up with great games. And with noise of them opening up to third parties, this could be a hit.

But user, '90s Nintendo is superior to '80s Nintendo.

Silicon Knights made Eternal Darkness. Nintendo had very minor input into it.

Fuck off you dumb sonygger.

it has a decent library, i would hardly call it incredible

To put it simply, hardware capabilities used to improve dramatically from generation to generation, and with them hardware architecture. You pretty much had to throw everything out at the end of a gen and start from scratch. Now every platform is a multicore CPU + programmable shader-based GPU, single threaded CPU performance has stagnated, and GPU improvements get eaten up by increased resolution and framerates. And it's only going to get worse now that Moore's Law is reaching its end and we stop seeing free performance improvements from die shrinks.

All of the technology that video games touch is very mature; 5 years from now everyone will be using the exact same engines, and the programming experience will be exactly the same, just with slightly more powerful hardware to work with. It's not like previous decades where everything completely changed from PS1 to PS2 to PS3. You can especially see this on PC; while DX12 and Vulkan offer a much lower level, more console-like programming model compared to earlier D3D and OpenGL, fundamentally not a whole lot has changed in more than a decade. A plethora of new techniques and rendering processes were discovered, but at the end of the day people are still writing vertex and pixel shaders. It took a while longer for consoles because everyone had some kind of a weird unique architecture going on through the PS3 era, but now everyone is on very standard, boring AMD (and soon NVIDIA) chipsets.

So at this point there is very little motivation to start a new console generation, or to bet the farm selling consoles at cost. Backwards and forward compatibility come very easily when you are essentially just ordering a new SoC from AMD or NVIDIA every few years. Backwards compat. is good because it ensures machines launch with a solid library, and forwards compat. is good because the poorfags that stuck with the older hardware keep buying games. And why risk hundreds of millions of dollars selling an expensive machine at cost, when you can turn a profit from day one on a cheaper machine and make even more money in a few years selling an upgrade? It's basically a win all around: manufacturers make a lot more money and take on much less risk, and consumers get to choose between cheaper consoles that last longer, or getting the new shiny gadget every few years and not seeing a situation like the 360/PS3-era where ancient hardware was holding everything back.

The Switch is probably the last radically different console we're ever going to see, being Nintendo simultaneously shedding their technological baggage and creating a new market around a form factor that nobody else can compete with. The Switch is defined by the fact that Nintendo is throwing all of its weight behind it,trying to make the device work both as a gaming tablet/portable and a home console. Sony and Microsoft are firmly in the high performance home console market, there's no way they could scale down and take a step backward in performance that way. The best they could do is make competing gaming tablets, and let's face it, the Xbox brand is dying and Sony is trying to distance itself from its portables. Other manufacturers can and have tried to make "gaming tablets" but none of them have anywhere near in-house game dev talent to challenge any of the big three, so they ended up as niche emulation devices no matter how many circles they ran around the laughable specs of the 3DS.

You mean like when they replace their phones and tablets every 2 years that they only use for taking pictures, browsing kikebook, and watching Netflix?

During the gen when the crashed Castlevania's Console entries into a fucking brick wall, that's not much of a loss.

already rumored switch supply shortages. if its true then confirmed dead on arrival do not make it big just go buy a ps4 please understandu.
also try to get one so you can scalp the fuck out of it because of the drones who are gonna pay top dollar for the piece of shit.
here is to another repeat of nintendo failure most likely

I'm not sure how supply shortage necessarily means it's dead. If it ends up having a lot of demand for it. People are still trying to take as many NES minis as they can get.

Though, on the other hand… it's hard to tell if they're doing this on purpose, just to make people rush out and buy one.

This is a good post and you are right about die shrinking limitations, yes, but I think you are fundamentally missing a few things. First off, I dont think that we're going to hit some wall technologically and just stop there. Humans will do what we have always done when we hit a wall: find a way around it. Since we are running out of cheap and easy ways to improve our hardware, the top innovative engineers WILL find a way simply due to having no choice. You can already see hints at these sorts of "next-level" computing methods if you look into things like quantum computing, uses of qbits and whatnot. Is this kind of technology far away? Who knows, but its foolish to say the days of big jumps are gone imo.
Another issue is you bring up the sales of new phones as a counter to the idea that people arent gonna buy new systems frequently. There are two problems here. The first is that oftentimes consumers are incentivized to upgrade through plans they have, getting the new phones at immensely reduced prices. This will greatly inflate the alleged sales of new phone designs. While there could be some kind of upgrade service for these consoles, who is going to facilitate it? Consoles are much larger than phones. They cost a lot more to store and almost certainly to manufacture. Yhe second problem here is simply the comparison you are trying to make is giving consoles way too much credit. A smartphone is a device that EVERYBODY uses every single day CONSTANTLY. Upgrading and replacing them becomes much more reasonable when the market is so gigantic and so rigorously used. A game vonsole like a PS4 doesnt even come close. The userbase is pathetic in comparison so you cant use as much bulk to cut costs, and the amount of time those users spend on the device is insignificant compared to their phone.
I stand by what I said, an attempt at incremental console releases would(will) be a huge failure. The new PS4 is going to flop hard if they invest any real amount of money in it. The Scorpio has a LITTLE better chances of survival because the Bone has a smaller install base, there are still people that could be enticed into buying it if it has good games. The PS4 already has most of everyone thats going to buy into the brand. If either of them tried to do a third PS4 or Bone? It would never work. As Donte would say, "Not in a million years".

Okay trudeau. Go wank to pictures of Kaz or something.

They have to know they have a reputation for low stock, right? If they know, why do they continue to perpetuate this problem? One logical conclusion is that they do it on purpose, for one reason or another.

as big a company as they are, they aren't a mega conglomerate like Microsoft and Sony. They can't afford too many risks like selling at a loss and overestimating sales.

they are doing purpose they have been known to do it for some time now

no other company has this problem nintendo has done it thru out their amiibo waves instead of restocking on out of stuck amiibos they make another mario amiibo. and large number of games have suffered this as well thankfully pirating and or digital versions of games are available.

they can afford it but they are so extremely greedy at playing it safe just for the sake of saying they make profits off their limited product runs. and sony is a shadow of what they use to be all they have left is their gaming part that is driving them forward and they are managing to make plenty of ps4 pros and games for the people and make a profit.

Nintendo would be a nice company if it wasn't for their shitty business practices, NoA literally shoehorning memes and sjw crap into translastions, and actually doing a sale once a year instead of dealing with launch day prices years later

The NES Mini is cracked, to no one's surprise.

Scummy, user.
Your opinion deserves to be disregarded for such a shameful post.

more switch dog please. forgot to save in the original thread.

just let me find, itI'll get back to you on it in a few months or so :^)

Nintendo's history in a nutshell

Pre-arcade: run of the mill company making toys and shit.

Arcades: they made a name for themselves. (Miyamoto singlehandedly turned them around when it comes to vidya)

NES: they helped define what video game could be outside the arcade - most of their notable IPs appear here.

SNES: they showed that video games had much more potential than had been seen before, existing IPs are expanded.

N64: they showed that with a little ingenuity, new tech can be used to make games even better (peak Nintendo right here), their big two franchises get a near-flawless transition to 3D that codify their respective genres for countless imitators. This is a feat that is unmatched by anyone in video games to this day.

GCN: their games get a nice bump in graphics and general fidelity, but there was nothing even remotely groundbreaking this gen. This is where they start to decline, because they get into their comfort zone instead of making killer apps that are unlike anything else around.

Wii: they bring in the casual market and try out motion controls, only to find that the technology isn't good enough for more than wagglan and casuals will leave as easily as they came. Their typical fans are alienated and jaded by the failed innovation being just a gimmick.

WiiU: they attempt to recapture the hardcore market, reining in gimmicks a bit but doing nothing groundbreaking. Sells like shit because people think it's a peripheral. One of the worst libraries for any console ever.

Switch: ??? This is a turning point for Nintendo. Either the system turns out to be great and a portable/console combo is actually brilliant OR it's a flop and Nintendo stops making consoles (and maybe even hardware) to develop mobile games. Any middle ground is unlikely, but if Switch doesn't do gangbusters they will still support it to keep from losing too much money.

The Wii also had supply shortages and it did gangbusters despite being garbage. If you did the same thing but with a console that didn't suck Nintendo would be in good shape. It's probably a good idea to avoid manufacturing too many in case it doesn't take off. Then losses are reduced. OTOH if people love it, they will buy them all up and clamor for more.

I got a 2ds a few days back, along with kid icarus, Hyrule warriors, and animal crossing. They're all bretty good, can't say I'm disappointed. Until now, I thought nintendo was going to shit, but they gave me some pretty good proof they still have SOME chops as game makers. Of course, I haven't played the newest 3 pokemon games, mario, or even Smash. So I can't say I know what their cash cows play like nowadays.
Best nintendo is HAL Laboratory Kirby:NiD is the best game ever made.

I was talking about Kirby, you illiterate nigger

Unless i wrote anything below the name of the game then you are just putting words in my mouth, fag.

Only early Wiis are capable of DVD playback with softmodding. (That's still a fuck ton though considering how well it sold early on.) The Wii also isn't spec'd to play DVDs so doing it continuously can ruin the drive. I was still impressed that I could play DVDs with it, but streaming from a local media server is probably a better option. (Homebrew exists for that, right?) Also, while Wii component is much cheaper than Gamecube, some enthusiasts will argue that Gamecube component offers superior video quality. Thankfully I'm not one of them and I rather enjoy my $7 component cable output. At least modding is a thing now for cheaper component or HDMI on the Gamecube than its proprietary cable, but it's still not as cheap as a used Wii + its component cable.

Nintendo might have had that 90% console market share in the 80's, but I think it was during the SNES days when they were at their pime both as hardware and video game developers. The rivalry with the Sega Genesis surely motivated that.

bump, im hoping nintendo makes a version of the switch that basically makes it a traditional home console, plugs straight into your TV and played with a traditional controller,with a boost in specs. heck, since Handheld Gaming isn't that big outside of Japan, it could do wonders sales wise, but who knows, it's not even out yet!