Why was this game so successful?

Why was this game so successful?

Probably because it was a good game.

Nostalgia

It was a pioneer in 3D gaming and told a bretty gud animu story that virgin FF players fell in love with.

Because it's good.

woah

Because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy game and had a shit ton of marketing?

Weebs, that's it. Sage because shit thread

In 1997 it actually wasn't. It's the fact that for years after the media hyped it up because they had no experience with JRPGs almost thinking they are new and none came before, plus they were PAID TO IGNORE victor ireland projects.

How old does it have to be for you before it could be considered nostalgic, smartass?

weebs, muh edgy animoo plot, baby's literal first jrpg, weebs again being subhuman filth who would unironically suck cloud's baby asian dick. Ya know, just picture the average neo-8ch user and that's why this game was successful.

It had fantastic marketing and it was fun.

OK FF game with a lot of customization, "FIRST 3D RPG!!!!!!", pretty easy to get into with the setting being not-modern day compared to the previous fantasy settings. Also Vincent Valentine who would go on to singlehandedly poison the entire well via Cloud being given his personality.

They funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars into the marketing budget.

Double downs retard

tifa had big tits

you're a one of a kind retard

best game in the franchise up to that point, lots of marketing, great visuals.

5 was better, but it did a lot of things in visual presentation that were notable to the mainstream audience. Also, the story is actually really good, once you replay it and see all the subtle foreshadowing in it. Like how everything that happens is Cloud's "fault" because he's the one who releases Jenova.

Good story
novelty graphics for its time to penetrate the market
good gameplay, although previous games had a better more fast paced ATB, its still ATB
Materia system allowed customization
well paced
well written

5 didn't come out in America until 1999. Yeah, the story in 7 is fantastic and has helped keep it implanted in the minds of many players. Something which I think a few people who have been swept up in a buzz of negativity, fail to recall. There's a lot to love about 7, the story manages to be fun, exciting, touching, awe-instilling and the combat while simple is at least pretty enjoyable. It wasn't even just the story but naturally occurring events in the game that really stand out too. I mean, who wasn't excited to take their sub to the sea floor and check out this ship, only to find it's too tough for now and leave staring at the ass of a horrifying super weapon and feel sheer dread?

Holy shit you autistic sperg, quit pushing this meme holy shit. It wasn't Cloud.

Honestly, I don't find the story to be all that great in FF7. The setting is really nice and the characters are all likable but the story I always thought was just too out there.

Honestly FF7 owes its success to just good marketing.

What did you not like about the story?

An evil kike corporation and a parasitic ayylien is apparently hard to get.

Good gameplay
Good music
Good graphics
Good story
Good characters
A lot of optional content

There is nothing not to like about it unless you absolutely hate JRPG as a genre.

Because they sold it for pc

One of the first game with an absolutely enormous advertising budget.

Also it's 1997 and consoles, most gamers wouldn't have known a good story if it came inside of them but latch to interesting visual designs, unorthodox environments/settings and then somehow conclude that the writing, characters and story were good, It's only good to people who wank over Young Adult fiction trash like the Hunger games and Twilight.

Elaborate on how the story wasn't good, oh the wise one.

I don't know but I'd have loved if less people were talking about it. Maybe we wouldn't have gotten the shitty remake.

Only FF game I've liked was 1 from 1&2 Dawn of Souls on GBA.

because it was the latest entry in a popular franchise on a powerful modern system with THREE DEE graphics
next ask me why [pokemon game] is popular

He personally didn't like it so obviously that's because its bad.

Yeah, all those millions that were sold by the game are our imagination.

I honestly didn't like the whole thing with Cloud and his memory. And I don't think Sephiroth was that great of a villain.

Marketing
All of it by Sony

=18+=
=8=
=+=

Weebs have shit taste.

It's not complicated.

Motherfucker, he actually went there.

Good joke.

Even as mistranslated and filled with shitty japanese misconceptions, story in FF7 is pretty good and coherent, everything ties together, and even side character like Barret and Yuffie are given a lot of attention and background detail.

Peopl keep talking about how previous ones were better, and I won't argue since I haven't played them, but most JRPGs of they era including FF8 and FF9 simply fall short compared to 7's attention to detail and well written story and characters.
Xenogears could have rival it, if it wasn't 1/2 of the game it was supposed to be. The only JRPG that could more or less compare to FF7 I think is Breath of Fire 4, and only because of much smaller scope and fewer characters so everything could receive appropriate amount of attention.

And yeah expanded universe is shit and completely ruined Cloud as a character.

At least you got dubs, congratulations.

TB is great, FF 7's tb is dogshit.

First major exposure of an FF game to the masses.

Anyone got those lewd comics that some burger gaming magazine printed? Was mostly the cast being naked half of the time

I see you're a dubs expert. Can you go into detail what makes FF7's combat bad?

Stationary atb combat ain't exactly the high tier of tb combat, buddy.

It popularized Final Fantasy in the west.

Classic 4chan. Watching a minute and twenty second long cutscene that requires no player input is clearly the pinnacle of magic in the FF universe.

Apply yourself.

Non-stationary ATB is different combat system entirely. It's like comparing racing games to flight games.

This is why Final Fantasy is cancer and will never be good.
Shit eating retards like these compose most of its fanbase.

Yeah, a good one.

Can you explain why he's wrong?

It's not like you stated a reason why it's bad, just your objectively wrong perception. You got the reply you deserved. How is 100% of magic useless if you can't even get that one overpowered summon until you pretty much made the game your bitch already?

I'm assuming you mean shit like VP2 or Neptunia games?
Otherwise what is this "non-stationary active turn battle" combat you're speaking of?

If casting fire spell is useless then the whole fire materia is useless, great logic.

Try non stationary turn-based combat.

Done

Not an argument.

But FF7 does not have turn based combat.

PS4 has some really good presentation and graphics, especially for genesis, but it's just a generic story about saving the world from big fat evil, while FF7 being that AND MORE. Characters in PS4 don't have back story, or any real relationships between themselves or with the world. They are just there for the ride.

I remember someone posting the same exact thing about Halo.

Good to know, now tell that to

He'll probably listen to a fellow dumbfuck.

Cool mental gymnastics.

Games that're mediocre aren't remembered, and games that're sincerely shit, even less so. Nobody talks about Kane and Lynch 2. Nobody mentions Lunar: Dragon Song. Nobody talks about Hoshigami. I never played Halo because i usually don't like FPSes, but there's gotta be SOMETHING to it that made it popular.

If you argue it's all a matter of tastes and that yours are simply different, that's fine; if you think everything that's popular is shit, you're a contrarian fucktard. Which half of Holla Forums is, of course, so you're not a stranger, at least.

So, please, tell me who much you loved Bahamut Lagoon.

a combination of the game being revolutionary for its time and the Sony marketing machine

Babys first JRPG

?

Fuckoff back to Reddit, next you'll tell me the first Sonic wasn't an extremely average game that was only popular due to an heavy marketing campaign designed to push a console.

i want to fornicate with gilda

You are the definition of contrarian hipster, dude. I really hope you're baiting, otherwise you should end your miserable life

Get in line

Fuck if i know, i was never a Sonic fan; nice music, at least. But, again, there's gotta be something to it if it got popular; i mean, Watch Dogs was heavily marketed, it was shit, and nobody talks about it anymore. There's always something to shit that's popular that MAKES it popular, more than over-hyped advertising, e.g. No Man's Sky.

Autism

heavily marketed on a hot new console

I love this word especially when used on Holla Forums.
Hey kid, do you think skyrim is the next coming of Christ? No?
Then guess what you are :)

Wrong? :^)

Wasn't Sonic popular because of the animated series?

Sonic was popular because Sega needed a non Alex the Kidd mascot to rebrand themselves to westerners and sell more Genesis/Mega Drives.
And so they shilled it as hard as they could to try and break throught the Nintentoddler carapace that was created thanks to a monopoly.

Still not buying your shit games, todd.

he was one of most effective villains in the series, what didn't you like about him

Go to bed, Vic.

Silly user. Only governments can create monopolies.

TB combat needs to come back. Fuck your action rpgs, they suck dick.

Gates pls go

You need to be less stupid, fren.

Time battle combat, not my fault you never heard the term. Its what most people used to describe FF7's battle system at the time.

PS sold well
It was hyped as full 3D rpg
Kids have shit taste

Amazing

Even among tb systems it was a decent one. You fuck off.

Compared to what?

Quality posts full of salient points user.

No need to downboat a thread just because you're buttblasted.

Fuck. I feel old. Well, let's see.

Basically, a perfect scenario. Shiny new console at a good price, selling an installment in an already successful series, made by a well-established company known for quality, during an era where the genre was booming.

That's not even commenting on the quality of the game itself, which I guess wasn't actually asked. The game is 90s as fuck. All of Scarlet's weapon designs for Shinra are extreme 90s rad as fuck, and the game flaunts its goofiness fully. Also, the materia system gives even more character customization than espers did in VI. I hate to be that fucking faggot, but I really love Final Fantasy VII. It's not my favorite JRPG, and it for damn sure wasn't my first JRPG(that was Dragon Warrior), but it really does hold a special place in my heart. I intend to play it again(the original for PS1) when the remake comes out. Fuck Square Enix for making this remake. They're desperate for money, and they're going to butcher the original with this reimagining.

Because 250 000 000 dollar marketing.
That shit was literally everywhere before it came out, buses, trains, metros, fast food restaurants, ads in cinemas before the movies, it was shoved down peoples throats so hard it was surprise it didn't succeed.
Also muh 3d was pretty big back then.

Marketing

Because the Materia system kicks fucking ass and hasn't been beaten by any customization system in any RPG since

It is a pretty good system to be honest. I also liked IX's system where you equip something and learn its abilities over time until you get to keep them.

Sounds life Front Mission.

It's a video game story.

PIRACY
The Original FF formula is a hard one to fuck up, FF IV to VI would have been just as succesfull if not more had they come out on a more afordable and piratable plataform
SNES dominated the first world but Sega managed to compete by being the cheaper option for the third world and the fact that it's cartridges could be pirated was another plus that helped the spread of the console.
SNES never had a chance in poor houses and FF was an exclussive
Fast forward to the mid 90s and the new cheap afordable console option is the easily piratable PS1 wich has a FF and as the console goes viral through out the whole world so does this new and interesting genere of games called JRPG that almost nobody in Sega ruled countries had ever heard of
That's why it became succesfull, it was a good game just like all it's previous entries, but this time it was afordable

Oh shit, I can 2nd this.
Back then piracy actually was a thing, where chinks and russian copied games and sold them every fucking where as if they were proper games.
As a kid I had no idea that those games mom bought me for genesis were pirated, and then wondered why the fuck can't I save in warsong or phantasy star 3.

Sony fanboys like to pretend otherwise but they know its true.

Because by being released on PS1 it triggered the Nintendrones so badly that they're still butthurt to this day.

this.

Yes, rpgs not having evolved past the "put balls to get bonus" thing is a tragedy.

Sonic had bright levels, a fun and consistent style, catchy music, interesting and unique gameplay, and edgy characters. It's easy to see why it was liked.
It also pulled in the budding furfags.

Get fucking real