Don't Starve

Don't Starve is the only good survival game with an actual art direction, no shitty design decisions, no egotistical author crap, a great soundtrack and focus and a non-jewish model for expansions and the like.

I can defend this argument.

Terraria has better combat though.

How? They look spiky, have a sharp outline? I mean technically nothing is original if you wanna go down that route.

I meant this in a rather literal sense, regardless of possible plagiarism - in short, the game has actual focus. It has a theme, a feel, and it works not to break it - unlike other survival games such as Minecraft and Terraria where it often felt shit was being tacked on as they went, regardless of whether or not it fit the 'feel' of the game.

Aesthetically or otherwise.

Also some fun design decisions such as not fixing certain exploits long after having acknowledged them - such as the infinite bunny glitch for example - on the account that players who can do them should reap the rewards. They focus on fixing the game breaking or shit like instant boss kills.

It just surprised me - picked this on the Valve Good Goy Platform(TM) on the winter sale just now and found it a decently priced, well-designed game. About the only problem I had with it was that the combat is just kiting and hitting things, and there's no visual indicator of the range of a monster's attack.

Oh, and Don't Starve Together has a shitton of lag but might've been my internet.

Just found it weird that amidst all survival games it's the one Holla Forums least talks about - I don't think I've ever even seen a thread for it here.

I'm mostly funposting but there is a heavy grain of truth to it. You can tell the guy was at least inspired by his art direction, more than likely because he saw Invader Zim at one point. Nothing wrong with it but the game itself never really appealed to me. The early game would fuck you if rng decided to plop you in a shitty starting area and if you survived that then it felt too much like playing Minecraft after you got a hideout and some gear, nothing really was a threat anymore. The portal gimmick that gave you levels were welcome but I guess it never really clicked with me.
I think Minecraft soured me on the whole survival thing. Feels bad, man.

I don't know what version differences there were between vanilla and expansions, but currently I don't feel the stagnation - even past surviving autumn, the winter demands for warmth and the struggle to survive everything overheating on summer and the fucking frog rains on spring all kept me on my toes. That, and the bosses - Christ, the bosses. I later found out they spawn seeking clustered structures, so they're *programmed* to fuck up your base, those cunts.

I totally feel you though - even though this game has multiplayer, for example, I can't bother much with it. I feel the "minecraft experience" disappointed me enough that I find little value in that, and most of my love for this game comes from when it's *not* being Minecraft-like.

It's also why I despise some other survival games on the market - reasons like Early Access shittery and shit gameplay aside.

It looks more like tim burton than Vasquez to me.

Is this another one of those eternal alpha survival games?

I like it too.

Nope, it released finished as far as I can tell, with two full expansions - Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked, the first a legit expansion and the second more like a spin-off which you can jump between games - and Don't Starve Together.

DST does kind of get the "features as they come" style updates Survival Games often do but it's already a complete game having the base game's features + RoG plus some, and the new shit is just stuff like new monsters or extra structures and shit.

I didn't know having large heads and small bodies wuth black arms was invented bt John Vasquez

Legitimately surprising.

Don't take my word for it, I did buy it just now. Checking the wiki for it it seems that it was a beta for a while before release, getting updates as it went along, but - the beta was *free*, which is admirable in its own way I guess.

Don't Starve Together is really fun too. It has a lot of good mods but also a lot of completely terrible furfag/anime shit clogging up the community. I hope they fixed the lack of an endgame since I last played ages ago.

Reminder that making your way to the throne is the absolutely best part of the game, and a once in a life time experience.

Far as I can tell no endgame yet, although that's how Multiplayer games go. New bosses every now and then, though.

It was actually pretty fun an experience, and whilst the plot is really vague and whenever they try to clear things up I feel it loses some value from the mystery, I really liked just the creepy atmosphere of having the gramophone play endlessly.

thanks for posting that tune, now I really remember how much I liked that part.

I really liked the way Don't Starve was going before the expansions,
not that they aren't worth playing at all,
but I just don't think they nail the "atmosphere".

It's tedious, easy and unbalanced once you know how to play. The art direction is good, but single player DS' only because now they've turned DST into the next TF2 with a cosmetics market and zero consideration for the art style. What lacks in DST for me is a challenge mode like DS has, where you have a clear goal like collect all the machine pieces on a harsh unique world. Normal gameplay for either game is simply too boring and takes too long.

I have played a LOT of survival games and this one is definetly the most thought through and best made one gameplay wise.

No, Don't Starve released as one of the first Early Access games, but Klei consistently updated it until the game actually came out. They had a countdown every week until the next patch, and on and on until release. They also released their two expansions into early access until they were released for realsies, and I believe the same thing happened with DST.

Klei did the same thing with Invisible Inc. They're one of the few companies that haven't abused the shit out of Early Access and actually come out with a game on the other end.

I hate how long it takes to set up a base, its just to laborious everytime.

A simple system of setting up a wall that spans for about 3 or 4 grid lengths would make so much more fucking sense. As it is I hate it too. The grid mod makes it easier though.

Once you figure out how to get past winter the game goes to shit. Even the caves where piss easy compared to surviving winter the first time. Although, I haven't played the expansion because it looks like they just tacked on boss fights and summer.

Yeah, they're the exception to the rule so far. I don't really like that Reign of Giants was an expansion though, considering it mostly just fleshes out some missing things from the base game like full seasons. It's usually dirt cheap, so whatever, I guess.

One of the few gripes I have with Don't Starve is the treeguards. Sure it's configurable as to the rarity of them spawning, but it's such a massive ball ache when you have to kite around 3-4 of them at a time because they can just spawn from a nearby tree at random.
Other than that, it's a pretty solid game, I just play it in small bursts now and then. I haven't even gotten as far going underground or activating the door yet, though, I drag everything out probably way longer than I should.
Oh and fuck that deerclops, jesus christ.

I get bored of it after an hour, nothing in it really compels me to push further into the mid to late game stuff. Combat is fucking terrible too.

Doesn't that only happen if you don't replant saplings? I haven't played in a bit so no idea if that's changed.

Game is shit and so is this shill thread. You've seen basically everything after only 12 hours of gameplay.
Terraria and heavily modded Skyrim are the only good survival games.

Thanks for the bump.

No problem.

It's like buyer's remorse but instead of shekels, it's time. As you've probably wasted a few hundred hours into that game you can't tell how shit your taste and opinions are.

Last I played, and last I read up on their behavior
treeguards will start spawning at 15 days, their spawning frequency will increase the more days have gone by, they can only be pacified and returned to a "sleeping state" when you plant 5(?) saplings nearby them, but the moment you fell another tree within their detection distance they will wake and resume pursuit, this can be exacerbated by the fact that there is a random chance of nearby trees becoming a treeguard as you're chopping, resulting in a wave of treeguards.
That's why I hate them and will disable them from now on, already practically every resource requires the player to pull down their pants and flash their puckered asshole to monsters to get essential materials, I don't need the fucking trees attacking me.

I've put more than 12 hours into the game and not seen everything, your argument is now invalid.
Also modded minecraft is a better survival game than terraria and skyrim.

I don't even really much care for grindy games, but somehow Terraria's mix of shit makes me always want to keep pressing on into caves to find more items.

Only issues I had with it

I find that in Minecraft I built things that I thought were visually interesting or cool, despite the lack of purpose in building such structures (or anything other than a literal hole in the ground). This interest did not exist for me in Terraria, as I think the heavier focus on item tier progression made me not care as much, and I built "commie-blocks" for the npcs.

The whole thread is shitposting.

If only DST wasn't steam only maybe someone would make a fucking server for it and we could have fun

Skyrim is never good, even with mods. Bethesda has never made a single good RPG, and their other games have all been mediocre. Their Terminator games were pretty good from what I've heard.

Can see why, that's a lot different than I remembered.

I didn't play much of it, but i think the game's biggest issue is it has a steep difficulty curve in the qrong direction.
The start can be absolutely brutal and once you get your shit going it becomes frustratingly easy.
I will agree that the atmosphere and direction are done right.