M+KB on Console

I'd frankly buy consoles if they had m+kb but I guess people are top casual or just lazy to use other control methods.

That's like telling someone they can't use a wheel in a racing game.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1x3WoALcvbA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why would you want to? Just by the next amazing pro controller the Jews put out. Guaranteed top quality.

Console games have auto-aim or aim assistance. That's the likely reason.

excellent thread

Hopefully as tech improves, we'll see a return to consoles being very well budget gaming computers with lots of in house developers to provide a decent library. I think once the market is purged I wouldn't be surprised if SNK releases a console alongside Sega

That can be solved easily by having separated lobbies.

there are kb+m 3rd party peripherals but they can only emulate stick control which makes them play like ass. Having such a config as a first party thing would require devs to almost put effort into games and compatibility. Which we all know is a pipe dream.

When I play on a console, I want to sit back and enjoy the easier controls a controller brings.

When I play a computer game, I want to either go full Gook and hammer on my keyboard constantly or just use the mouse because the game has such a good interface.

Two mutually exclusive modes of play.

It's fun to use a controller when everyone else is. I like how it's harder to aim.

Because consoles are full of casuls. And casuls don't like when someone with good reaction times can roflstomp entire teams of them.

aside from FPS and maybe RTS is there any games where there's a big enough difference for the two types of control?

Isometric RPGs
Fightan games
Probably racing since analog since you need the sensitivity of half-presses and analog sticks.

Keyboard is just an arcade stick with more buttons. Analog or not, doesn't matter.
Gamepads are equally trash as keyboards for racing because of unadjustable deadzones and extremely small range on both sticks and triggers.

Now that you've mentioned racing I guess I'd add flight games to it too. Anything with a cockpit of a sorts.

Keyboards and mice would only be good if every console came with Netscape.

Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 on the Dreamcast supported keyboard and mouse

You know I hate the keyboard for fighting games, controller or joystick with buttons only for me.

This sounds like the opinions of someone who's never played fightan on Keyboard

It's a bit hellish because it's rather counter intuitive - you have to do the in-between motions as well as the presses, so say, if you use the WASD for example, a Dragon Punch motion isn't S -> D -> SD, it's S -> SD -> D -> SD -> D -> SD

It doesn't sound that hard but in super precise platforms like a CPS3 game the timing will completely fuck you up, and that's after getting used to this shit

Pic related, game who taught me this hell when I had no fightan stick and emulator wouldn't let me multi-button assign on controller

i agree, most consoles have USB ports now so i'm surprised that no one like madcuntz or razor has made some "PRO KEYBOARD" for consoles, since every once and awhile i'll borrow a console shooter game from a friend to play it for free

Uh, D -> S -> SD and D -> SD -> S -> SD, not whatever I wrote there. Sleepy as fuck.

Whatever happened to the idea that the waggle of motion controllers would be tamed to unshit console shooters, and a glorious age of Wiimote/PS Move FPSs free of auto-aim would dawn, forever vanquishing Dora the Explorer-style consoletard "FPSs"?

I haven't tried a console since the 6th gen, so I don't know how well games like The Conduit or Killzone actually played with motion controllers.

FPS/TPS
Strategy/tactics (especially realtime)
RPG (especially with RTT combat)
Adventure
Management/god sims

Platformers
Fightan
Beat'em'up/hack&slash
Shmups
Sports
Emulation and shoddy console ports of other genres

Vehicle/racing sims
Racing
Rhythm

DC was also the first console to properly support VGA, not a coincidence.

lightguns are pretty good

kb/hitboxes are better on certain fighting games especially if it's games that emphasis on double tapping than using the stick part of the arcade stick and gamepad is fucking crap on a lot of things

There's the XIM and stuff like that. I actually have one from back when I had a 360; used to use it for playing Halo Reach since I found using a controller uncomfortable.

Key input felt somewhat sticky since it was just mimicking controller input (so you couldn't strafe sharply or anything) and while they did a great job establishing a huge amount of precision in mouse movement, maximum speed was no faster than with a controller, limiting things somewhat. Aim assist was also on, fucking up your aim.

An advantage over a controller and much more comfortable but overall still pretty shit. Compare to, say, Halo 2 on PC where you can easily strafe away from the bulk of incoming fire and can snap off a ton of headshots much faster than with a controller (making the Carbine and BR brokenly powerful).

You're joking, right? That stuff is child's play in those games. Try DPing with a keyboard in ST then come back to me.

Is this bait?

The broken slash in my post was supposed to be "/hitboxes", since IMHO hitboxes are functionally more like non-analog gamepads/fightsticks than like keyboards, due to their specific button layouts. About the closest thing to a hitbox I'd describe as analogous to keyboards are those auxiliary WASD keypad things.

yeah i figure since theres no "keyboard mode" on console games this would be an issue

Motion controllers are pretty much only going to be really good for FPS games with VR. I've got a Hydra and it's pretty finicky and has some issues with shaky aim, but overall it's really interesting to use. A friend recently got the oculus touch and says it's miles better, so I'll have to give it a go. If a game is built to have good support for motion control aiming, it can be good. HLVR is kind of a silly little prototype of the idea, but it works pretty well. I think at some point I'm going to buy a new VR set with motion controllers, maybe in a year or so when there are more games available.

Please disregard broken webm

VR is probably kind of a cheat, since it fixes what I imagine would be the biggest drawback of using motion controllers for shooters: Relative versus absolute control for viewpoint.

With a mouse, aim and viewpoint can be combined, because in spite of its absolute mapping, basically infinite movement is possible in a given direction by lifting the mouse off the pad and setting it back down at the opposite edge (or lifting fingers off one side of the ball to keep spinning it from the other side with a trackball).

With just motion controllers, unifying aim and view control would probably feel strange, while separating aim to absolute control still leaves you with the question of how to control view. The options I've heard of are either relative mapping, which would just be a virtual joystick with all the usual gamepad shooter problems; or absolute mapping inside the screen, and pushing at the edge to half-ass relative mapping outside it; the only method I can imagine competitive to mouselook in functionality would be using a second motion controller as a virtual mouse, with a hold/toggle button on it dedicated for shutting off input to mimic lifting a mouse from the edge of its pad.

Head tracking in VR (at least assuming you sit on a swiveling chair/stand up and can avoid getting tangled in cables) I imagine neatly sidesteps it by allowing you to just spin forever in a direction with absolute mapping.

sounds like pay to win

teleportation

Or rather stopping getting paid to lose.

It does have an effect of making Snipers less of a cheap-ass bastard weapon class.

God, that's the dumbest shit ever. I'd rather play VR games with WASD+mouse, with head-tracking for alternate camera control.

5/10, people have actually said this to me elsewhere, but I refuse to believe any Holla Forumsirgin is so consoletarded.

VRfag, do such patches play well? Is motion sickness mostly a meme, like those people who got motion sick from Doom and Descent (I actually knew one dude like that) back in the '90s, or does it affect the majority of VR users?

bringing over a better control method for a shitty genre of games won't make the genre any better OP. Waste of time. The good games aren't games that play better with mouse and keyboard, but with controllers.

whats cheap is when youre using hardware that simply outperforms the competition

the only game that does give traditional movement is minecraft and serious sam vr
what a fucking joke

APB on Xbone let's you use Keyboard and mouse and the gap in skill is stupid, but that game is trash so it hardly matters.

Can't find your channel on my feed, link it to me so I can masturbate to your stuttery voice as you talk shit about Fallout 4.

vocaroo.com/i/s1x3WoALcvbA
I made sure to use the worst mic in the house just for you.

You can emulate the Metroid Prime series with Dolphin VR.

I came

They did. It fucking flopped.

That was a shitty Chinese android running a crap version of Final Burn with an SD card literally soldered to the board. Hardly a "New" console.

I see you know nothing about this. Besides, SNK doesn't need a console, they could just release on PC. WHERE'S THE PORT, SNK?!

How is the controller?

Controllers are good for 3rd person action games; they put a stick and 8 buttons (face/triggers) in immediate reach of your fingers/thumbs, allowing for shit like Devil May Cry's combo autism or Dark Souls' demand for immediate reactions. They're also fairly good for fightan, for similar reasons, though arcade sticks always win there. Finally, they're good for platformers. All of these are games where you don't need constant fine-tuning of the camera.
Mouse/Keyboard is best for FPS, RTS, MMORPGs, and basically any game where you need to be able to quickly and smoothly manipulate either a cursor or your view to an arbitrary point.
Now, it could be argued that where good controller games can easily be mapped to M+KB, you can't easily map good M+KB setups to controller; but the other advantage of a controller is the comfort factor. WASD is not really ideal for repeated changes in direction, you'll wear out your pinky finger real fast.

Steam Controller is clearly the missing link, all it needs is a set of decent face buttons

do you have doll hands?

they want to sell games, and not at a steep discount

Even if he has doll hands, I can't imagine what he'd assign to the keys under his pinky. My hands are large, and I still get little use from it, my index finger probably gets the biggest workout.