Meta fags

Am I the only one who finds "meta" as a concept to be cancerous and inherently inhibitive to a multiplayer game's experience?

It's like, game devs pour immense amounts of time and effort into a game's environment and mechanics, only to have a """meta""" severely limit that experience.

You'll end up getting lit up by famas' all the damn time (again, for sake of example) , and unless you conform to that

""""META""""

you will never hold a competitive edge in-game.

It's the same all across the board. Every multiplayer game within every genre; some fags find a formula that offers a slight advantage in some way, and then go shooting their mouths off to every scrub who'll listen. Soon everybody and their mother is using this new-fangled technique, meanwhile if you aren't up to date on the latest and greatest of everything within that game you'll be left in the dust.

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What

No, you're not.
It was kind of satisfying in Wow though.

So meta duuuude

Or in Overwatch, where there are 20-some-odd characters to choose from, but Heaven help you if you pick anything other than the 3 or 4 "meta approved" ones.

I want to experience this shit for all it's worth, but oh no, play outside the "meta" and you'll get an angry 14 year old cursing your mother.

Not that kind of meta, genius

Calm down, I was just trying to make a point about meta being a shitty thing to have to deal with.

Hate me if you gotta, it is what it is.

Don't mind if I do.

I believe you mean Metagame, the word meta by itself has several meanings based on context.

I min-maxed pretty much every game I played both on and off the PC, and I really don't see it as anything other then getting gud.

Now I don't find the concept of meta inherently cancerous but I agree that the fags who use it to get muh respect without actually earning it should be oven'd.

Friendly reminder:Anyone who looks up strategies in a rts or rpg is a faggot.

Your autism is obnoxious, and annoying. Sad you can't be the witty intelligent breed of autist like myself, but we are a rare breed. Sure maybe I play overwatch sometimes, but I don't over-indulge, instead I sip it like a fine wine as all video games should.

I'm sorry.

Picking the weapon that has the most damage is the sensible choice in a shooter.

Now, in a game like DotA 2 or LoL, which tankfully I stopped playing after a year too long, that's where it gets stupid.
Everyone would just copy the e-sports idiots stream they saw on the reddit or forums, and kept insisting it was good.

They would pick a hero and items that were only made to look good by a player with actual skill, then just assume it was viable for evevryone. Made every match really stale, and I assume it's only worse now that there's more than a few regions and a few tournaments every year.

Metagame in online games is shit unless you're going for a ladder/leaderboard, in which case it's the right choice if you want to get higher.

I am capable of enjoying the finest of AAA titles, as well as the most *obscure* indie games as well. You made a mistake to underestimate me, plebeian.

Son, when you get older you'll learn to appreciate all videogames to some degree.

Ah, a fellow man of refined tastes I see. Allow me to ✓ your fine dubs good sir.

what a waste of quints

Stay mad. Kek wills this declaration and you have shit taste confirmed.

itch.io/
Twine games
Bet you appreciate H-games the most.

shut up bulph

You think that is bad? Try being a faggit that still plays league, ranked at that. You have over 120 characters to choose from, but only ever see that same like 20 champions ever game

You'll get banned if you pick anybody but those 20 champs too, courtesy of Pendragon

Get gud or get rekt.
You mad cuz you're bad, scrub.

This is every modern multiplayer developer's fault, and not the community. Why? Because 90% of modern multiplayer games are built from the ground up to be "competitive" and have an esports scene for it. So naturally the devs are the ones enforcing some shit meta.

It's something that is unfortunately inevitable. After all, in a multiplayer game, who wouldn't want to win, or at least, not lose? And in order to do that, you pick strategies that seem good. Inevitably, someone will pick things or do things to counter that, and so on.

Eventually these picks and counterpicks will be discussed, leading to a general meta.

It's really, really hard to prevent.

So wait. Because a game has a weapon that's clearly better than almost every other weapon in the game in almost every way, people are faggots for using it? Use what works. If the devs are to incompetent to design a game to be balanced then fuck it. Your post is whining OP. Name the game you got rekt in for thinking you were special.

"Meta" is something that experienced/smart players will find out on their own eventually. Usually this leads to finding counters to effective strategies. Like it or not, people will always find out what the most effective ways to play are. I don't like it anymore than you do, but as long as the meta isn't too gamebreaking I can still play and still have fun without following the meta. If the developers have fuck-all for balance and the meta rapes the game, then it was a shit game in the first place

Metagaming saves a lot of MP games tbh. It shows the devs what to fix, and if they don't you get to laugh at them and play a better game.

Where there is competitive multiplayer, there will be autistic metafags who will find and abuse the flavor of the month tricks endlessly.

It's perfectly normal for a metagame to pop up, it only becomes a problem when the meta is "play X or play to counter X," like fox in melee.

You're like a parody of multiple parodies rolled into one, faggots like you posting here is the equivalent of the Goths sacking Rome, we are headed for the end.

Overwatch is a bad example because it's badly balanced. If you don't pick the chilly chink and the laser dyke you are at an inherent disadvantage. I don't think that's a meta thing, just bad design.

I thought the Brit was the actual 100% confirmed dyke. The Russian just looks the part, but is actually red pilled on robots.

don't play shit games like Counter-Strike and ASSFAGGOTS

Whatever. The designs and personalities are so boring and shallow, it makes no difference.

I figured this thread was going to be about meta-narratives where the game tries to be all spooky and mind-blowing by acknowledging it's a game, or doing shit like fake crashes and error messages.

This meta-strategy balance shit might actually be worse though, because it's led to some of the most disastrous decisions in patching and adjustment. More often than not, "the Meta" just means enough faggots went to the forums and complained that they were losing too much to a specific strategy… But when it's REALLY bad, you get Star Wars Galaxies and the NEW GAME EXPERIENCE where some chucklefuck thinks a game isn't successful because it isn't toddler friendly enough… So they overhauled the entire fucking game and killed it overnight.

I love that kinda stuff. I've never played them, but those jap horror games that fuck with your desktop or leave files around seem really cool. I wish more games did this kinda stuff.

People will almost always pick the better option if given the choice.
Git gud™

Same, Meta Knight/Fox 4 life.

clearly you know jack shit about doto

A proper meta should 'revolve' and allow for counters to almost anything. Maybe not always by using 'scissors' when your opponent uses 'paper', but by using a particular strategy that will allow 'stone' to beat 'paper'.
That said you will always have 'top-tiers' in a competitive game with any amount of variety because balancing is hard apparently.

Metagame is in the nature of games, you can't avoid it as a game developer, and in multiplayer games you can't avoid it as player either, only embrace it.

This is why RTS will always be the king of multiplayer. Especially Brood War as old as it is. There is no meta. Units may not be used because they're useless (Ghosts) but there is never a set build, race, or strategy that will win you the game. I just wish more games took the example of Brood War and implemented it. Who cares if something is seen as OP. Players will find a way around it and fucking exploit it to the fullest extent. It's the reason why Brood War is having a God damn revival that's being televised in South Korea and on Twitch.

It's very essence is a game that is determined by various timings, player skill, player preference, and general luck.

Brood War can, and will stand the test of time as one of the few if there are really any, of games that can't be determined by what you play as, or what you choose to do.

what am i reading

What meta is there in Brood War? How many workers is the meta? How many ground to air units is the meta? What about race/faction? How about determining whether to mine your natural or your 3rd/4th/5th second? Simple answer is there isn't any.

Keep pretending to think you're superior in this. There hasn't been a single fucking championship nor tournament that's been won by a single strategy or set build. Only by player mistakes and skill.

No you're not alone in this OP. I absolutely hate meta and the effect it has on multiplayer games.

In a game like the dark souls series for instance, there are a dozen weapon types and several dozen weapons and armor sets, but when it comes to pvp you'll see roughly 2-3 weapon types and little variety in armor sets. Almost everyone you fight will be using a longsword, katana or rapier. It severely restricts the variety of people you fight and most fights play out roughly the same way.
Meta is boring. Winning by exploiting the meta is boring. Playing against people who adhere strictly to the meta is boring.

I stopped taking meta seriously when uncle dang the engie main stated the widowmaker in team fortress 2 is a downgrade because he personally can't reliably hit 30 or more damage per shot at the distance of the bridge in 2 fort.
The entire bridge
And still expecting to hit accurately.
Meta exclusively seems to be fucktards that don't have intuitive game skills an rely on a winning formula rather than a dynamic strategy.
MvM is also unplayable because of meta fags.
>inb4 >tf2

There will always be a metagame, no matter what the game is, because players will always tend towards what is most effective (for them). Unless you're an absolute genius and make a perfectly balanced game, or make a game that doesn't require balance, there will always be some way that imbalances the game aside from player skill. That's just how maths works. It's nigh impossible to have every equation equal the same value.

Hell, even look at IRL games like basketball. The 3-point shot has over the course of a decade or two become one of the staples of the game because it is the most efficient type of field goal. When it was first introduced nobody bothered with it, through the 80s and 90s it was players that weren't really trained with it, it wasn't in their skillset. Cut to today's game where being able to hit the 3 is fundamental to play.

Games will always trend to efficient play unless something intervenes (increasing difficulty, removing mechanics, adding mechanics, etc.)

You have a healthy sane mind, so no you aren't alone.

Meta killed WoW you dumbass. When devs start catering to the "meta," they lose track of what the game was originally designed around. The Meta in post-BC is where incessant balance updates came from. Blizzard lost track of not catering to autistic - then called optimal builds - being posted on their forums like they forgot how they treated Diablo 2 autists and started chasing a dragon. The autistic forum regulars that barely played started sperging harder than ever because blizzard started believing the meta in raid and pvp was indicative of balance issues. When a new Meta took over, Blizzard sought to cater updates so they could fix balance issues.

The lesson here is that you ignore the Meta and chalk it up to stupid autists that want to take the variety out of a game. If you cater to these faggots, you lose variety. There is one silver lining to this and that's playing against meta leads you to owning an advantage over players who don't know how to fight you. They're so used to playing against a select few builds or characters and so that means you can exploit their ignorance. But be prepared to lose that advantage in an update addressing "tertiary playstyles" or a crybaby who screamed NERF NAO PLS on the forums. And since no one in the Meta recognizes how you play as fair, it must be a sign of some kind of imbalance.

MvM is unplayable without metafags really. Try using a Huntsman and see how far you get in Two Cities.

Meant for

I actually beat two cities with 4 huntsman/smg snipers and beat Wave 666 with an all buff banner cow mangler team.
MvM is completely playable outside of the same classes every fucking time if you don't suck all of the penises.

More games have propably been hurt by butthurt fags like OP focusing on destroying the meta.
There will always be a meta. Or you can prove me wrong and make a game with perfect balance, I'l be waiting.
But in the meantime you fags are the reason everything gets nerfed to shit and are the reason for no fun allowed style of patching.

So you got the entire team to select the same loadouts and use one of the best weapons for solider? Sounds pretty metagame to me. I'm saying that if you select certain loadouts in MvM you are destined to either lose or drag the team down because of how insanely useless so many weapons are in the game.

That being said I would like to see the video of 4 huntsman snipers beating manhattan on hardest difficulty. They must have been autisticly good.

Cow mangler sucks dick now that it has a five shot ammopool. It was when Wave 666 first came out.

I think I skirt the line, I'm not going to keep up with meta, reading guides, patchnotes, etc., I will usually play the way I want to play but if someone asks me to switch to X or to try tactic Y then half the time I am willing to do it if it seems legitimately better, if it's not fun though I'm not doing it all the time.

I find a balance that lets everyone have a good time, myself and the team, if they start sperging out then I'm not changing my style at all and they can continue to get mad, likewise if the suggested tactic is poor in sport or worse than I think I can do on my own then I'll stick with it.

I play for fun but being serious can also be fun sometimes so I just do whatever I feel like at the time, sometimes serious, sometimes not.

No, but that notion is ridiculous. A metagame is just a byproduct of the game's balance and how much a game has been "solved", and therefore only goes in directions based on exploration of balance in a game. There's nothing explicitly limiting people from using alternative styles of play, but if the community has already figured out how ineffective it is (unless you're using a new/unexplored strategy) then you're implicitly playing at a disadvantage. This isn't a new phenomena either - there are meta surrounding sports, chess, card games, etc.

I mean what exactly are you proposing? That no one pay attention to the most effective strategies in competitive games? That everyone just try and go against grain just to be their own special snowflake? Sure there's going to be some faggots that don't actually try and learn games and just stick by the meta, but if you find them to be dominating a multiplayer game experience, the fault is with poor game balance that favors only specific strategies.

You find the concept of people finding what works and what doesn't to be cancerous? Unless you are a pot head and you literally can't give a single fuck about winning, a met will always exist.

I'd say the only reason meta 'saves' MP is because it gives players a definitive "Do X, Y, and Z. If someone uses Y, hard counter with A, etc…" Instead of players actually playing the game, they just hop ass first into whatever dildo factory the game's community is and learn how to play it from rote rather than actually relying on any discovery, intuition, skill, or concept of having fun with the game. They're learning how to beat other players with specific strats, it's literally "No Fun Allowed" gameplay. I'd argue that the sweet spot of most MP is pre-meta/release (post bugs/patches). People are still playing for fun and figuring the game out rather than just using whatever's in the equivalent to the game's textbook.

I don't think the idea that meta is an inhibitive cancer is inherently ridiculous, just misguided. There are examples of meta completely destroying the fun for most players, but it isn't because "meta" as a concept exists, it's because they game is inherently imbalanced and wasn't fixed. I'm in full agreement that it's a completely natural and inevitable byproduct of any game and all games trend towards most efficient play, but if gameplay has already been "solved" then there's less enjoyment to be had. You can have a good idea of who will win and how before the game even begins. If you're playing a game and know you're going to lose, most times you will choose not to play. And with meta, the idea of "gitting gud" doesn't just necessitate hours of play to develop skill, it necessitates that and reading all the meta, testing strats, etc. Unless you're a professional player and/or a dedicated hobbyist, you won't give a shit. It's a poor experience for the overwhelming majority of players who will simply blame "the meta" rather than the game being so easily solved due to imbalances in efficiency of play.

Cow Mangler for MvM was always pretty decent if I recall. Is it shit now?

IF you focused on prayer and defeating degeneracy then you wouldn't even be playing multiplayer games. Stand with god or die as the worthless degenerate that you are.

I've stood idle for the practices of you fools for too long.

The thing is that if the game is designed to be shit otherwise there's no point in caring. If you have an unbalanced game it's not fun to begin with. And a good MP game shouldn't push you into using pre-established formula's and expectations. Again it's the content here not the community.

I wouldn't say the problem is the meta of a game itself but the community and players that screech like autistic children on fire the second you do anything even remotely outside of it. it just sucks the fun out of even trying out new things.

I'm in full agreement with you. I'd just argue that something can be fun until it's been 'solved'. You can enjoy the MP of pretty much any game for that first month of release running up to patch one. Then the drop off between people that want a fun game and people that want to compete occurs. Meta is always hard counter for casual play, even skillful casual play. The old "A noob with training is still just a trained noob" from pure pwnage rings true. If you want to be a toal pwnerer you have to go meta.

>banned from server, reason: faggot

Well stop being a faggot then.

Digits confirm.

Alright, but only for those digits.

Oh shit, watch it, I'm posting more degeneracy!

I kind of get what you're saying, OP. You want to be able to have fun and try new things without faggots screaming at you. It's a legit desire. But, you can't blame people for being competitive and wanting to win. The problem is people who act like jackasses when you try to have fun. Honestly, "gamers" in general need to be less obnoxious, but even though the style of sperging has evolved, that has always been true.

Meta-Game is nothing more than any old autistic gamer exploiting the mechanics intentionally or not that is implemented in the game. The worst thing you can do is intentionally mess with fan-made meta-game. This causes a vacuum of finding the next meta and thus nerfing another character. Rinse and repeat. Best course of action would to leave broken character alone and just break least played character.

the worst is when shitty players take it to heart and act like its the end all rule book to playing the game when they have a poor grasp on everything anyways.

Counter Strike

I don't care. I just use whatever I want to use, regardless of the meta. Metafags and min maxers can do their own autism thing.