This kind of tree, is the ideal way for branching plots leading to their appropriate ends

This kind of tree, is the ideal way for branching plots leading to their appropriate ends.
Discuss

Is it an FPS? Is it a turn-based RPG? Is it even a game, but instead something like a VN?
How long is this game?
What is the game about?
It's pretty terrible game design to focus on how plots work before laying out any kind of mechanics.
You can't just say "here's how the story should branch" when I don't even know what the basic plot is.

No, this is.

Is that a rock type pokemon?

Nigger what?

far cry 4

That's the agro-crag.

This kind of tree always puzzled me. They make a lot of sense in a conversation, but not so much for a story (I'd rather go for a flowchart where you "collect" things and process them later on). In a conversation, there's a basic flow, what you're going to say or reply will have an immediate impact on where the conversation will go. But in a story, it's not necessary the case and it may take time before having any form of impact, so do you need to write a branching story based on one choice?
Take the first Silent Hill for instance. The ending you will have depend on two things: have you saved Cybil (+ Ending), and have you saved Kaufman (Good Ending)? Whether you do these things or not, there's no direct immediate impact, it only matters after the game is completed.
I remember seeing someone completing Life in Strange, in which the devs promised that things you did would impact the rest of the story. Yet, when you complete the game, there's a list of every important choice in the game and it compares your choices to others. Which means no matter what you decide to do, you still get to see the same things everybody else has seen, and still get to face the same choices everybody else had…
So, IMO: flowchart for stories, trees for conversations.

I downloaded it, got he good ending, and immediately uninstalled it. Good to see a happy ending for once.
I'm also the guy who spread the Amita Sarbeesian meme, greatest act of trolling in my life.

This is the optimal way for a plot to reach its end.

(checked)
I like this one. Maybe its not the best, but its a enjoyable trip at the best ending.

Harsh but fair.

It kind of looks like a dude sucking another dude's dick.

Looks like a mountain. Can i climb that?

(checked)
Boo. Balanced like that can be interesting but most often it's not. Asymetric is where it's at. Don't break the narrative down in to a series of binary choices at logical increments.

Wario Land II?

It is nice to keep players on their toes. It breaks immersion when things get too formulaic without a reason, though it can be fun to have the plot involve the same events unfolding from a different angle. (See Fallout New Vegas' NCR vs Legion missions)

That tree is bikinis.

Hello Bethesda

Hypernationalist that's fighting sjw terrorists. Yeah i think pink tshirt dude is alot better than the alternative.

You got it all wrong you fucking retard

That's not a tree you idiot.

Your tree could do with some parallel lines OP.

In other words not every choice necessarily has to have an immediate effect, sometimes the story can continue as it was going regardless what you choose, only for the game to reveal the consequences of your actions later down the line which forces you into another branch.

>acyclic

This is pretty much what I hope to accomplish if I ever get to the level of making actual vidya. For an action TPS game.

i've seen that most branch proposals allow for 5 or 6 endings, why is that?