What "legendary" games haven't you played yet, Holla Forums?

You know, those games that nearly everyone regards as stellar, fantastic, epic or legendary? Which ones are still on your backlog?
And from the anons who have played the game of another user, why should or shouldn't we play them?

I personally have yet to play Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy 7, but I recently (finally) got around to Chrono Trigger and it fucking lived up to the hype. Fantastic storyline and plot pacing, amazing and interesting locales, satisfying and fun combat, a compelling diversity (lol) of characters, great soundtrack, and just the sheer level of cool stuff happening made me feel like I was a kid again.
What about you, Holla Forums? Where are you at right now?

Couldn't run it back in the day, now just don't see the appeal.

I never played any Final Fantasy on the PlayStation. Not 7, not 8, not 9. And I've played pretty much the rest of the series.

Havent played chrono or FF7. Its funny because I've have 2 copies of FF7 lurking around but one of the disks was missing. My brother borrowed one from a friend back years ago when he was in highschool. I couldnt tell you where the other copy came from. I moved 2 months ago and as I was cleaning I came across both missing discs. I guess I should give it a go at some point.

Probably Guilty Gear but that's because literally decades of people spamming of that trap Bridget pissed me off too much to play it. I do listen to the OST from time to time however.

This classic right here.

I know its good because all my friends have said it is great….too much homework made it impossible to actually play this fucker back in the day….anyway i should get it on xbone one soon just to see what the fuss is about.

Definitely do Chrono Trigger when you get the chance, I can attest to that for sure.
But try to play the DS version if you can, its the best one because glorious cutscenes done by Toriyama; they actually made the games moments feel FAR more impactful than I'd have expected, especially compared to the original
Don't get me wrong, seeing the sprites and whatnot do shit on the SNES version is cool and all, but this is clearly superior imo.

It was fun, I highly recommend doing it co-op with a friend if you get the chance though. It really helps it out. It was worth playing, at least many years ago, because of all the cool shit, and the bosses actually being interesting and challenging to fight against. The soundtrack is still good as always, but some of the exploration might get a little tedious, that's why I recommend a friend.

Any Zelda title
Any Final Fantasy
All MGS games except V
Any Half Life
Chrono Trigger
Beyond Good & Evil
STALKER
Fallout 1&2
theres alot more too.

if my gold account had not expired id run through the campaign with you user. Its great.

I have played and completed a lot of lesser known shit though

I played FF7 for the first time a few years ago and to be quite honest I don't see what all the fuss was about. I like JRPGs but FF7 just bored the shit out of me, I either made it to nearly the end of disc 1 or a bit into disc 2 before I abandoned it.

You had to play it when it came out to understand i think.

I disagree, I played it for the first time 2015 and had a great time with it.

I played it in 2012 and loved it.

patched, font cleaned and what not, still not played to this day.

Still more than I've completed unless spamming credits in the arcade version through MAME counts as beating a megaman game
I haven't played FF7 and Chrono Trigger either, but the only thing that remotely resembles a JRPG that I liked is pokemon.

If you said CE it would have been believable, but thanks to that 3 I know you're just trying to get responses.
Have a (you) for trying.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, I just think it's undeserving of the massive amounts of praise that gets heaped on it. Then again I genuinely enjoyed 8 and 9 so what the fuck do I know.

i missed out on a shit ton of golden-age pc shooters like early quake and unreal because i didn't have a decent PC till like 2010, still haven't got around to deus ex, system shock, or vampire bloodlines too

Out of those, Mario RPG is the only "essential" one. The only good Lufia is the second, Breath of Fire is so bland outside of using dragons in combat, and Bahamut Lagoon is known for its pretty visuals at the expense of shallow combat and not being released in English officially.

It has more depth than almost any other Square SNES game.

Because you didn't experience it when it was released. If you played FF7 in the late 90s you know why it was praised to begin with

Even in 2010 you could play Quake and Unreal on a toaster, you aren't making sense. Same goes with System Shock and Deus Ex.

Because for most people it was their first RPG?

That's one reason, yes.

There's a reason why just about everyone thinks that Chrono Trigger is amazing no matter when they first play it but the same isn't true for FFVII.

i mean i had like a borrowed laptop or nothing back then

Homeworld.
Duke Nukem.
Dragon Quest.

I've played FF7 a lot of times but I could never finish the thing. I can't play JRPGs anymore, they're way too long and boring.

I know that's wy I loved it, but after playing more RPGs I realized that the combat was nothing special and the story and characters were shallow, so now I only think of it as some trash I played when I was younger. I still like a few tracks from the Soundtrack, the pre rendered enviornments were really well done and Midgar is still a really cool cyberpunk city that I'd like to see more of but not the trash FFVII sequels/spinoffs.

Same, the only JRPG that i truly enjoyed was Mother 3 because it didn't require a lot of grinding and never got repetitive, it had an awesome soundtrack and well written characters to boot.

I disagree, there are old games that I'd never played until recently (recently being the last 5 years) that I enjoyed and could see why they were praised as much as they were. FF7 was just boring to me, I don't know whether it was the writing, pacing or what but I just couldn't get into it.
The only reason I can think of as to why it was praised so much is because muh grafix, because there was nothing else about it that stood out that would make me think it was an amazing game.

I was playing Mother 3 but stopped playing at the part you start in a sunflower field. Am I far from the ending?

That laptop could've probably played Quake. You're just a retard who can't use computers.

2/3rds of the way finished

i'm sure it could have but it was a borrowed laptop from like my mum at the time so i wasn't putting games on it

This is pretty much me.

N64 was my last console, so I never played any of the PlayStation classics. Even though they're all available on PC now, I just don't feel much incentive to actually play any of them.

Protip: If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. Find "legendary" games for yourself, user-kun.

What a dumb reason. I don't remember bridget being popular at all.

This and Colosseum are my legendary games :')

Breath of Fire 1 > the rest

I mean I love you dorks and all and I expected this, but you guys are those 60 people who dislike a video on YouTube when 10k people like it. I'm not saying a lot of Holla Forumsirgins are wrong, you guys give good reasons but sometimes it just feels like contrarianism

The Kingdom of Heats game (going to soon though), Final Fantasy VII, all of the Zelda games.

I did, user, when I was a kid and had more time.
To this day I still consider LttP a legend. Old-school Blizzard games a la D1, WC2, SC1, and WC3 made my list as well. PMD: Explorers of darkness made it as well for me (I'm sure sky would've been slightly better but I had darkness so what can I say)
I just don't have as much time to play games and hope they're good based off cover art as I used to.I rely on either friend advice, or look for the most discerning, harsh people on the internet. Holla Forums generally has good taste as a result of having their edge sharpened against bad and good games.

Well you missed the multiplayer which was one of the best things about Halo.

I played it for a few hours and I hated it.
Then I tried Zelda on SNES and hated it as well

I somehow cannot into Zelda games.
Interestingly I liked the mana series very much.

I've played almost all of them. There's a few I need to beat still, most of which are console games.

Frankly, a lot of the classic PC rpgs like fallout 1 & 2, planescape torment are really shitty. Wasted a lot of time there, kinda regret that. Earthbound is also a pretty mediocre game and it's really not worth the time.

heavy on unskippable cutscenes, but when the game lets you go its actually pretty good. Some really cool levels in there, some of my favorite parts of the game are raiding the beach up to nova prospekt and controlling hordes of antlions, it's a lot of fun. Can't really recall any particularly shitty sections.

FF7 when taken as only that game it's pretty great. Lots of cool story moments, good customization options, combat is pretty fun too. It's a little easy but optional bosses are great.

I felt it was a little weak but it had some of the best moments in the series. The new scarab design is really cool and fighting them is awesome.

Same.

I can see why it got high praise back in the day, but it currently strikes me as being dated as fuck. I found it boring, empty, and tedious.

So what exactly is the appeal of Chrono Trigger? It just felt generic and repetitive to me, but I guess most of this was "new" at the time.

Oh please, that is not true. I played it years ago and I thought it was just average. I still don't get why people think it is so great.
The game is just obscure enough that it does not get that many detractors.

It's competently made, but the combat isn't really that great and the music sure leaves a lot to desire, and the actual story is pretty bland. I think it's OK but there are far better JRPGs since and from around the time.

Now, Panzer Dragoon Saga - there's a game fully deserving of all its praise.

I have only played six games made before 1996.

You disgust me, user.
You truly disgust me.
I mean holy fuck, almost all of my favourite games were made between 1985-94.

there's no bridget in xrd ;_;

I have also never played a single Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Castlevania, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Double Dragon, Contra, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pokémon, Bomberman, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, GTA or Sonic game in my entire life.

Jesus Christ user, why are you even on this board?

It was probably the first JRPG for a lot of people. I'm pretty sure most of the praise it gets is due only to nostalgia.

There's a point where you go from not playing classics to just not playing games at all I mean holy fuck.
You've never even played a Mario game? I'm more impressed at your gaming virginity more than anything else.

I havr never played any metal gear title save the first for the playstation, or I think it was that one. I didn't make it past one of the tutorials without being caught.
By my very limited experience on that I wasn't interested gameplay-wise at all so I never thought of giving it another try until the 3ds game demo. Which didn't catchy interest either. By the looks of it, it would seem all people like is the story trapped in very meh gameplay. And given 4's status of interactive movie and 5's reception, I think that is the case.