War is Hell

Any games where war is depicted as gruesomely as it is IRL?

Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/r28353
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Overwatch

No

Wasn't that the selling point of shellshock ?

nope

never seen war myself so I can't say but I would imagine that red orchestra is about as close as video games have come

Battlefield 1

I forgot the name of the game, but there is a game about being a refugee during a war, it was 2D, and very, very brutal.

Also, you don't see a "war", but Papers Please is very realistic and gruesome.

This war of mine?

A realistic war game would not fit with regular gameplay as your character would just die over and over and over.

But you can always play Spec Ops The Line

:^)

SO:TL, but personally the devs constantly talking about the game being more metashit than "war is hell" ruined it for me

In all it's genocidal glory

BF1 feels more like a fucking T rated summer movie blockbuster than anything else.
Even EDF or Advance Wars feels more hopeless and gruesome than it.

World in Conflict, maybe

Ja.

I didn't expect it at all

Eh, not quite. If death meant a but more in Arma 3 it COULD achieve this better. I've had the most close-to-reality war gaming in Arma 2 and 3, though 3 managed to top it when I had a group no-shit call in a medevac and flew me to a fucking medical tent at the FOB to keep me from losing my ticket. We weren't hurting for tickets in that server, they just decided to go the extra mile and we all benefited for it

If you're talking about the more grizzly nature, bare in mind that's entirely dependent on the war itself but for THAT there's very little. Honestly, best I've seen for that "WAR IS HELL" feel is Spec Ops: The Line and it's still Hollywood as Hell but it's not the uninspired confetti-cannon that the CoD series is.

Doesn't stop you from singing.

Ner vod!

Also Killzone and Killzone 2 actually managed to be the most realistic interpretation of war I've seen in a sci-fi shooter if you excuse the whole feel of being some unbeatable squad that soaks in retarded amounts of damage. Play it on its hardest difficulty and that is probably my best recommendation if you want that feel in a sci-fi setting.

vndb.org/r28353

War is hell

is taking a life really that traumatizing? i was always under the impression that most people didnt get mind fucked from the experience
brother in law was a soilder and said the thing he hates most is when people ask if hes killed somebody, pretty sure he has because he's got ptsd but not life crippling ptsd

Speaking from experience, it's highly subjective. When I was training with the 10th MTN from 2004-06 before I deployed to Afghanistan, we were trained to be highly aggressive and not give a fuck about actually killing people. I was later told by other units the 10th MTN has a reputation as psychopaths in combat, "good thing they're on our side" sort of shit That said, the first guy I KNEW I killed was through a Mk 4 Leopold on the top of my M14. As the old adage goes: "I felt nothing but recoil".

It was LOSING people that fucked with us. Every dead friend and battle-buddy was someone further gone on the sanity spectrum. Guilt over killing some fucking rag-head was never an issue, we felt no guilt. Kill or be killed, or worse don't kill and watch them kill your buddies. Many of us would have rather died than be the fault of a buddy's death by inaction or hesitation. THAT shit stays with you, even when you do things right and shit simply happens to you disadvantage.

That's how it's been for me and many of my old friends, most of whom are alive today but we're all scarred in some fashion. I think I made it out the cleanest, no injuries and only mild PTSD that is almost never triggered. Been a few bad moments, most involved heavy drinking of vodka

With all that in mind, again, Spec Ops: The Line sorta did it best, I can see the conflict in that story and how it played out the way it did. Otherwise it's really fucking hard to simulate since there has to be social attachment that turns to loss to really simulate that kind of stress and reaction, when someone takes a bullet to the chest and gives you wide eyes because the plates fucking worked and you're pulling him behind cover screaming at him for not taking cover sooner AND at the same time begging to a God you don't quite believe in that he never has to get that lucky ever again, all whilst nearly hugging the dude searching for injuries he might've missed. Or picking someone up you think is in the prone but they're completely limp and you have no God-damned idea when a puddle of blood formed under him, and where the fuck is the medic during all this and your eyes are burning because you want to cry but nothing's coming out. Too busy getting shot at to cry, cry later.

It's fucked dude.

so the reason he hates the question "ever kill anybody?" is because it most likely reminds him of seeing fellow soldiers get killed?

It's entirely subjective. Maybe the question just annoys him to no end, maybe he's not entirely guilt-free about those he DID kill. It's entirely on him, people are wired differently.

well thanks for your insight user. he seems better these days then when he first got back.

Bad Company 2. Not even joking, the sound design really gives the game a raw and intense feel.

Good to hear. It takes time to adjust and be comfortable with it. Generally, but not always, the more the person talks about it the easier it is for that person to come to terms with it. That's certainly how it was for me, I spoke with my brother, father, and a few battle buddies about it and now I'm quite well and episode free for almost a year.

Yoda was a faggot

im pretty sure he sees a military/ptsd therepist and is on some type of medication

That game managed to nail the banter that happens between soldiers REALLY well. The constant and often comedic back-and-forth of the characters is actually really damned accurate to how soldiers interact with each other. It's one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the interactions a lot and felt a level of connection with the characters despite how otherwise shallow they were by story-telling standards. In short, they just felt FAR more real than most serious games tend to portray.

that scene made no sense to me, wouldnt yoda have been all for them getting their comrade back? it felt more like a "fuck, the game has been going on too long better end it real quick, just name drop yoda and end it"
nice trips faggot

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One has a good story about a squad living and dying in hell during WW2.

On the topic of Gundam I felt Thudnerbolt, despite being edgy incarnate, did depict war the best. It actually manages to get the gritty, fucked up nature of it and what it actually does to people.

dumb question: Did you throw up after you knew killed someone? Or is that some Hollywood trope?

VNs without a harem route are shit by default.

Here is a VN I think you would enjoy.

I laughed a bit, actually.

Insurgency Co-op, if you and your buds roleplay well enough.

This war of mine shows it from the civ perspective as you avoid soldiers but it depicts the effects of war and how civilians start to turn on anyone not in their "tribe" so to speak.

By "gruesome" you mean sitting at your base doing logistics for weeks and then finally seeing action which is just sprawling trench warfare for several days as you and the enemy take potshots at each other because unlike a video game war in real life is more mundane unless it's that one carped bombing that becomes the staple of that particular battle?

i'm not trying to sound like some grizzled hardass but i've seen and heard some serious shit in my life, and nothing bothered me more than some of the stories that he told and just couldn't stop. he'd even get the classic thousand yard stare™ and just look out the window while he told me of grenading hooches because it was easier than clearing them or telling me the story of his buddy who got hit by artillery shrapnel and it blew his guts out, covering my instructor with literal shit and half-digested food while the guy just sadly said "aw, man, sorry about that" before collapsing and weeping to literal death

holy shit

red orchestra is at least the closest war sounds like. the gunfire is almost deafening to be honest

More games should take steps to not make guns sounds like peashooters.

…. oh.

Oh holy shit haha thats the funniest shit I've ever read your friend has an amazing imagination

At least he said he was sorry.

Pretty sad.

If you read some of the fucked up stories about WW1 it really makes you stay up at night.

The worst ones were about people getting stuck in the mud, with no way to pull them out, going batshit insane from dehydration and immobility and finally motivating a comrade to put them out of their misery.

My grand father was a machinegunner in WW2 and he too had some grizzly shit to tell. He usually didn't talk about the war, but sometimes when he was drunk as hell, he started talking about all kinds of shit he had seen and done. From what his wife and my dad told me he had horrible nightmares about the stuff too.
Tough sonuvabitch took enemy bullet to the head and lived. He died couple of years back at the good age of 97.

Reminds me of my uncle who went straight to Vietnam after he graduated from high school. He's a jovial man and rarely talks about the shit he saw, but sometimes he would slip up and say some very disturbing things. The last time that happened he talked about Vietnamese whores cutting his friend's dick off while having fun in some town they were stationed at. Other times he would go completely berserk and start fighting people and have no recollection whatsoever. The last time that happened, he was being mugged by some punks and he almost killed one of them by smashing their head on a brick wall.
War does terrible things to the mind.

An important factor is modern war. For example they did some science and being under artillery bombardment for 90 days straight day and night WWII style in the trenches would break 98% of the people on the receiving end of that mentally. The other 2% are guaranteed psychopaths and sociopaths.

Apologizing after such episodes seems common, most people with PTSD don't want others to witness their episodes. I was no different, the few times it struck I apologized to everyone around me and at one point literally fled the building looking for somewhere to hide. It's strange, during those moments you feel week and scared of everyone around you judging you as some kind of weakling.

It's one of the reasons I cannot stand nor tolerate this trigger-warning culture. These people don't know what true PTSD is and how it fucks with you. They make a fucking mockery of a serious condition and it's so insulting it fucking hurts.

That's because the human mind was never wired to handle the kind of constant stress modern warfare unleashes upon the psyche.

You won't really see accounts of widespread PTSD until WW1. That's when people started really noticing "shell shock", mostly because it was the first time soldiers were continuously exposed to danger.

A Roman legionnaire, for example, didn't have to fear a sniper round in the head, or a surprise artillery barrage, or an IED, or gas. Battle was something you had time to prepare for, it rarely came as a surprise.

my grandmother told me the tale of my great grandfathers supposed first kill in ww2

I remenber call of duty world at war having some pretty gruesome scenes in the soviet and pacific campaing.

How else are you going to cellect your loot?

it might have fallen out, i have no idea

Auto-loot.

Fucking casual, i bet you even have the crosshair activated.

There's more than that - you are are putting your own life on the line, and you have to depend on your fellow soldiers to watch your back.

why is he freaking out? arent those friendlies above him?

Shellshock Nam 67 was pretty brutal.

Never never saw a copy back then, I remember seeing Vietcong and First Alpha which I didn't get.
Also remember playing Conflict: Vietnam, it was pretty shit, especially in comparison with the Gulf War ones.

I did play Shellshocks 2 though, I wish I never did.
That game might actually give you PTSD for all the wrong reasons.

spec ops the line

My uncle fought in the 8-year War in the navy and probably saw children brainwashed charging Iraqi frontlines with grenades for Allah to get into heaven.

Vietcong is the best Vietnam War game made get that shit immediately.

Tried the game 10 years ago but the shitty A.I, forests that have extremely obvious off putting immersion breaking walls and the one hit kills out of nowhere made me quit on the second mission.
It was also a bitch to run

But sure, I'll give it another try, first impressions aren't everything and the beginning mission was alright.

This game is probably more optimized than the Steam version of Half-Life did you have a shitty PC.

No
Just some compatibility issues
Likely due to Vista

Must have been Canadian.

They're trying to shoot down missiles/mortars, user

I think the best way to portray the horrors of war isn't to just show a bunch of characters that are constantly sad, but to juxtapose upbeat smalltalk against sudden ambushes/IEDs. Of all the movies I've seen that nailed this it was the opening of a capeshit, the first Iron Man. They hit you when you least expect it and that's one of the few reasons why it's one of the only tolerable Marvel movies.

VNs with a harem route are shit by default and so are most non-sexual VNs with a few exceptions.

Christcuck pls go

I'm not against the idea of a lewd VN I just haven't seen one that has been good yet. Post some recommendations that satisfy the following:
bonus points for good music/art style.

Mud and Blood 2 is decent for that kind of feel. It is less about the horrors themselves and more about how shit can go terribly wrong. It is one of the few games where you actually give a shit if one of your units dies.

men of war is also really good for the random aspects of war angle. sometimes a mortar will land directly beside your guys and everyone will be totally fine. sometimes a tank shell will ricochet off one of your tanks, plow into your infantry and blow five of them apart

your grandpa was anti-white

Pretty sure he meant the guy who got his guts blasted open said sorry.

Give the old man a beak, all the allies where tricked into fighting for self-destruction.

Stop. I'm not sitting by while faggots like you shit up the idea.

Dismiss.

What's the best for gore?

Nope it's fun.

Sorry about what?

I thought the exact same thing when I read that.

Fuck am I a terrible person.

"My daddy though me not to be ashamed of my guts.
Especially since they're such big size and all"

I wasn't expecting to get depressed today.

war is hell

Not that I know of. The game would have to be pretty realistic. For example, you get hit in the leg and now you cannot move, or get hit in the stomach and you die a slow and painful death. It would be pretty niche as all the fags want a fast shooter and not one where getting hit once can mean you get knocked out, but you are not dead, which would mean you are basically finding a way to kill yourself at that point.

Fuck you, Mehmet.

My eternal fellow of african-american descent.
Seeing your team of elites who have been kicking ass since the beginning of the round get fucking obliterated because a bomb dropped on top of your bunker always feels fucking awful.

Soldier of Fortune 2, I guess. That's not war stuff though/

Cannon Fodder for the SNES