Why are there no other games like Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis?

Why are there no other games like Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis?

Why is Arkane Studios the only one making them? Why aren't they making more?

In my opinion Dark Messiah was pretty much the best game of its decade and was extremely underappreciated. It's one of my most favourite games of all time. I love it so much, Holla Forums.

Was.
Now they're making dishonoreds.

Dishonored is nothing compared to Arx Fatalis and Dishonored.

It's quite the devolution in the context of their other games.

But yeah, I didn't say dishonoreds are good. They're shit. But zenimax owns arkane so they'll never make anything good ever again.

user, noooooooooo!

The short answer is corporate meddling.
Dishonored would have been a new dark messiah is zenimax didn't mess with development just to put arkane in a better position for acquisition.

You'll learn to cope and hate zenimax.
t. Fallout fan

King's Field?

Well there's that new Underworld game, if it actually manages to come out in one piece post kickstarter.

yeah nothing like unfinished levels, poorly optimized levels, damage sponge enemies, an easy out of lmao just kick everything into spikes/pits and terribly balanced AI

dark messiah is an incredibly flawed game with a few unique and interesting concepts but the execution is by and large awful. Holla Forums jerks off so hard over semi-unique games, especially first person ones but any and all flaws are completely ignored.

play on hardcore and try magic next time

or unbind the kick button

And are you seriously complaining about bulletsponge enemies while mentioning the kick button at the same time?
You just have to get creative and work with the environment. If anything the enemies need even more health.

looks weird and interesting

only ever played on the highest difficulty. This doesn't magically fix how shitty melee combat is. It's a chore to fight anything. It's not interesting, it's not difficult (except for how some enemies have a reach 4 times the length of their swing.) Stop forgiving flat out flaws.

gee I wonder
kill yourself

I am forgiving them, while still acknowledging them. Note: the weapon range was actually fixed in a mod, which also makes combat harder, like you can't stunlock as easy as before and weapons overall do more damage to you and the enemy

older games like what, user? I am curious

Like ultima underworld you retard
How the fuck can you finish Arx Fatalis and be completely unaware of Ultima Underworld?
Unless you are one of those circlejerkers who don't even finish the game they want to talk about.

creativity is dead specially on fps

Ultima was before my time, user.

I was 12 years old when Dark Messiah came out. My first RPGs were english (I am german) versions of Might and Magic 6-9.

I only played Arx Fatalis, because I saw it at 5 bucks on the steam store and bought it by selling all my dota custom items.

Christ nigger you are like a mild tumor personified

don't bully me

fuck off grandpa

You shouldn't have said that, Mehmet. Anyway you should play System Shock 1 if you haven't already, completely different setting but not so different to Arx.

thanks, maybe I'll do that

or maybe I just watch a lets play of it :^)

I like the voice that plays everytime you draw a rune.

15 here. Time flies man.

Disgusting.

Is that a boy or a girl?

waht do you think

a girl with fugly hands?
who am I kidding I'd fuck it anyway

you gay, user

not that there is anything wrong with that

breh

I also found the difficulty curve crazy inconsistent. Particularly spider tunnel or any time where there are a fuck-load of ghouls.

Spiders are not really difficult. Ghouls are a pain though, they are just so fast.

It wasn't any more flawed than other games of it's time. The AI was fine. The game was perfectly playable and felt finished.

Ultima Underworld series were terrible games. Movement was trash, combat was trash. These games attempted to be 2D exploration games but failed at presenting it properly in 3D while also failing at interface and gameplay. Dungeon Master is a better execution of essentially the same gameplay.

oh yeah this is the fag german from gmod years ago who lived on welfare with his mom

Dragon's Dogma is the closest you're gonna get to Dark Messiah. It'd be better if it had a dedicated kick button, but the combat system is similarly… direct? I'm not sure what the word for it would be.

You have proof?

I only know him from his visit to /gsg/.

He even posted his benis, but I am not interested in that, so I just saved his face.