What do you think of the Sega Saturn? Do you have any experience with it or its library...

What do you think of the Sega Saturn? Do you have any experience with it or its library? Do you recall any one with it growing up? How do you feel about some of the more popular Saturn releases like the Panzer Dragoon games, Nights into Dreams and Guardian Heroes?

Other urls found in this thread:

shinforce.com/gallery/Disney9912-10-12.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

From my experience a lot of Saturn owners tend to be people who were already in their teens when it came out and were more industry-savvy and owned multiple consoles. The fact that Sega bungled the Saturn in the U.S. and you had to rely on importing to get its better games didn't help.

Unfortunately Holla Forums is filled with brats who grew up with N64 or PS1, depending on which one their parents got them.

A forgettable console with a few good games from a one hit wonder company.

You can post more than one image at once.

I forgot about the pool game.

Case in point.>>11624774

I love the saturn and I use to have one but it's such a pain owning it because of the memory issues and the long loading times so I never got another one. I'm very much pampered to modern day PCs with instant loading and everything at your finger tips.

Got one for Christmas. Weird library. Enjoying the novelty.

Closest I got to playing it in the 90's was seeing Bug! running on a demo unit. I went with N64 and PSX, no regrets.

Learn to quote a post.

As an eurofag my list is limited but I had plenty of Saturn games:
-Clockwork Knight 1,2
-Nights
-Panzer Dragoon 1,2 & Saga
-Shining Wisdom, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force III (Part1)
-Dragon Force
-Guardian Heroes
-Deep Fear
-Burning Rangers
-Rayman
-Daytona USA
-Fighting games
-Puzzle games
-Some adventure games like Torico and Enemy Zero

I was really happy with it. I had a Saturn first and only got a PS1 some years later. It was a fucking pity plenty of games never left Japan. Some had ports for PS1 in english at least like Sillouette Mirage and Grandia.

I think overall it was a good system with wasted potential. Plenty of gems in that console.

nearly all the best games are Japan exclusive. It's funny, SEGA made a 2D system that happens to do some 3D, but marketed it as a 3D only system due to their own Virtua Fighter games. They kinda fucked themselves over.

using mine, properly burned discs really aren't an issue. I've got a back up memory cart too - the odd game with long load times like sotn isn't really representative of the typical wait. A lot of the better games manage to show off almost no loading and have a clear attempt at streaming content.

not all the best games, but quite a few of them are. Many great ones made it here, Panzer Dragoon Saga actually manages to have one of the best translations the game industry ever saw. The thing is, it's not exactly great at 2D or 3D compared to the PS1 (the PS1 in a sense treats its 2D very similarly to how it does 3D, just in such a way that the means of getting desired results with either are extremely simple.

That said, the Saturn was sloppily engineered with some features tossed in near the end of planning, but a lot of devs did some really amazing things with it and ended up producing some amazing games. The arcade ports of games like twinkle star sprites were great too.

How easy is it to use a Sega Saturn with burned discs? Is it easy to crack it?

Nights was good.

swap trick or pseudo saturn are the current go-to methods. usb loading will be happening in a year or two. If you do pseudo saturn it'll cost you maybe $30-35 for a cart and a legit game, from there just flash the cartridge with pseudo saturn kai and most games work wonderfully. You're gonna want a model 1 (diagonal buttons) for the best compatibility. (CHX and JHL loading)

panzer dragoon zwei is possibly the best game on the system tho

How is mednafen's Saturn emulation now? Good enough to replace real hardware yet?

My first console was a PS2.

Reminder that we never got Sonic X-Treme

I used to really like the Saturn but I've come to realize that most of it's library was also on the PlayStation and most of the time those ports tended to be better.

The only reason to play the Saturn was for its' exclusives. It had a few good niche games, but they couldn't really compete with what Sony and Nintendo were offering at the time.

Saturn had better third party support compared to the N64 and even outsold the N64 in Japan.

It had more than a few, you don't know about the system.

I owned one back in the day. I remember having,
Nights
Bug
Bug Too
Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Cop
Scud the Disposable Assassin
Mr. Bones
Myst
Sonic Jam
There's a lot of other Saturn games I never had the opportunity to play. I hope emulation for it improves soon.

And yes, Saturn had better 3rd party but Nintendo were able to hold their own with their 1st and 2nd party games.

Hold the fuck up, I have no priblem with the saturn, but why are you shitting on the ps1?

It had an astoundingly good library and a more mature audience compared to the n64, to group those together means you're either stupid or underaged and trying to fit in.

You must be 18 years or older to post on 8ch.net/v/

Reported. jk

Or if you were poor and your family couldn't buy a console, that's fine too.

Congratulations, you missed out on the imports that make a decent but inferior alternative to the PS1 and a far better library than the N64.

SSF works decently and Mednafen is improving. Emulation is decent enough to play those imports.

Not really, no.

no emulation is that good, but it's sorta…playable, with some games. Expect mixed results, especially with more complicated saturn games. Original hardware is cheap, and saturn's are built like tanks with CD lasers that are outlasting 6th gen consoles'.

Great console even better with an Action Reply for imports. If ever there was a weeb console it was the Sega Saturn.

Plenty of people missed out on the imports. I was the only person I knew who even knew what a Sega Saturn was, let alone owned one. I barely got any games for the fucker because they were impossible to find.

Saturn was cool but I'm not going to bother getting original hardware again just to play the handful of games that didn't get ported/remade.

Very few games got ported off the Saturn, there's very few exceptions.

You mean dozens. And you're going to play unless you want to keep mouthing off like a faggot.

I spent hours in epcots innovations wing playing Sega Saturn games. Guardian Heroes was always busy. They also had some online dialup service demo for the Genesis. It was so sad when the removed all that Sega stuff to replace it with AT&T and Bill Nye nonsense. This was well before the Dreamcast came out too.

Maybe they did tare it down after the Dreamcast stopped production. Must have been the year I had a universal pass.

shinforce.com/gallery/Disney9912-10-12.htm

If I'm a massive faggot who likes weaboo grinding sims, would I like Albert Odyssey?

yep, also play the panzer dragoon trilogy in order.

Not me, I got a saturn after my megadrive. I did get a N64 about 2 years later as no one else had a saturn and I thought the ps1 was to similar at the time for me to buy it.

Grew up with it, it was all my gaming dreams made reality.

I'm trying to emulate it with SSF 012 beta R4, but the audio is out of sync. The only solution I've found online is try older versions of the emulator, but the ones I've tried have the same problem. Any suggestions?

try mednafen, I honestly don't recommend emulation.

It was hard for me to understand why the Saturn went dead by 1998 here in America back when I was 9-10 years old. The system did sell here, and I sorely did want one because I was raised in a Genesis household through the 1990's. However, I understood why my parents weren't going to drop any money on it for me: It was overpriced as hell, had no value in America thanks to its paltry library, and simply didn't offer anything significant to make people choose it over the Nintendo 64 or the Sony PlayStation.

That, and Sega lost their damn minds by not developing an original Sonic the Hedgehog game for the system. Sonic 3D World was not worth paying $300-$400 for the system, especially when it was also available for the Genesis as well.

It's obvious now what killed the Saturn, regardless what it brought to the table: Sega's inept business decisions killed it.

It was my Megaman 8/X4 console, and that's about all I used mine for.

NES emulation has been basically perfect since the late 90s, PSone emulation for almost as long. If you find something to nitpick in mednafen's NES/psone cores then you just might be a turboautist of the highest degree.

Castlevania : Symphony of the Night ran like shit on that console.

We already had the Crash autist trying to downplay Mario 64's impact.

Only in America did it do poorly. The problem was mostly SoA's lack of confidence in it, SoJ's insistence (correctly) on it, and SoA failing to effectively support it. Stolar coming out and saying the Saturn was not Sega's future was a tremendous blunder - the system had games and if SoA brought over more of them it would have likely tied with the N64. It didn't need a Sonic platformer, it needed Sega to push the games that were already on it.

Yeah, it got a terrible port and there's been some great technical breakdowns of how the port failed to utilize the hardware in a reasonable way. DF Retro did a good video on it.

I think NES and PS emulation has been pretty competent for the most part, there are likely still issues to be found. The original hardware is always better.

I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to pay awful scalper prices to get ahold of Zwei again. I have a Saturn and it works fine, but I need that Panzer Dragoon fix

I have to disagree on this one. Its library was very robust, just not nearly as flashy or popular as the ps or n64 libraries. People are still discovering hidden Saturn gems today, they existed, there was a boatload of great games…just nobody but the most obsessed Saturn fanboys at the time (like myself) knew about them.

No idea, I own Tomb Raider for the Saturn but I don't have a Saturn.

Dragon Force is a fantastic showcase of it's 2D power. Hundreds of little troops battling it out with generals launching magic shit everywhere. Is there any game like it on a modern system? Some people have recommended Tactics Ogre but I thought that was a standard TRPG.

These are fun. Haven't beaten Holy Ark, because emulation but now that I have a 6-button pad, I want to go back to it. Burning Rangers emulating a 3D controller is great. You can see where the shooting sections in Sonic Adventuee came from, the rangers control like Gamma and Tails/Eggman, but a little tighter.

Man, Holy Ark is so fucking cool to me. These scenes were neat, especially compared to a lot of first person dungeon crawling I'm used to.

yeah, that no-backlight-having Game Boy brick with the puke-green graphics and the Game Gear that devours batteries in seconds are both so superior to emulating them on my phone.

I owned one growing up, still have it. Vastly underrated with some great gems. Bernie Stolar is a fucking dumb jew faggot cuck.

GAS (((BERNIE STOLAR)))

(((Bernie Stolar))) is the reason why you should never trust a guy named (((Bernie)))

(((THE JEWS))) MADE ME MISS THE GET

Not a fan of back up loading?

bump

Name some besides the ones mentioned in this thread.

it was a decent console held back by bad timing, not being able to play imports and an architecture too damn complex for anyone to take matters into their own hands
i'm still waiting for thay guy who is dissecting the machine to make a commercial version of his project though

Saturn Bomberman, and sonic 3d blast had a superior port. Though it's still an average game

Good 2d

Anybody play Lunar 3?

saturn bomberman is excellent. I am hoping to arrange some 10 player matches at my shop some time.

I live in canuckistan, where action replay is approx. 50 dollars for no reason, and anything across the border is subject to shitty arbitrary fees and/or costs 30% more because of monopoly money exchange rate.

I'd want a physical copy, and JP Zwei is certainly cheaper, but not that much cheaper

Sorry to hear, at the very least the pseudo saturn kai cart would let you load games cheaper in the long term. I mean, playing through $400 Cotton Boomerang and $800 Panzer Dragoon Saga for the price of a one-time cart and a few burned CDs is definitely a good trade.

There are, but this is a saturn thread, not really the place to be talking about it

Got one for my birthday in 1996.

Had quite a bit of fun with Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2, Sega Rally, Virtua Racing, Guardian Heroes, Golden Axe: The Duel, Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Powerslave, Alien Trilogy, Quake, Return Fire, Road Rash, Need for Speed, Myst, Bug!, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

One year later I've traded it for a PS1, and never regretted it. The Saturn wasn't a bad console but the PS1 had a clearly superior library, especially after '97 and later. I fell in temptation for FF7, MGS, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, NFS2 and the upcoming NFS3.

However, there were some great Saturn games released in the west that I've missed back in the day. Had I played Albert Odyssey, Deep Fear, the HotD port, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shinobi Legions, I'd probably have tried to find a way to scrape enough cash to buy a PS1 while still keeping the Sat.

Shame you got rid of it. The PS1 was great, but you had some of the best games of the generation right there on the Saturn. I honestly can't see any of the games you were tempted for being a solid replacement, rather just something new to try.

Have you had any desire or have you revisited the system at all?

True, but that's exactly what I was looking for. I was disappointed on how the vast majority of the Sat library was composed of arcade style games (at least in the west) and was jonesing for more immersive and narrative driven games like the ones on PS1. I was getting tired of arcade games.

Also, many multiplat series I did enjoy on Saturn were getting its sequels only on PS1: Tomb Raider, NFS, Resident Evil (which I never bought or rented, only tested it and found to be too shitty of a port - I had already tried it on PS1. So I was waiting to get a PS1 to play it properly).

Revisited it through emulation. SSF works great for me after I managed to work out its quirks. That's how I got to play for the first time Albert Odyssey, Deep Fear, HotD port, PD Saga and Shinobi Legions.

What did you think of Saga? I beat it recently on original hardware through RGB on a BVM. I loved the combat, the story was tremendous, and the "Fourth wall break" was incredibly well done. The ending song left me floored too, absolutely beautiful game.

I just think it's a bit much to get rid of or sell off things like that. I can see wanting to play those PS1 games, they're great games, very important ones too - but I'd never want to get rid of them. Even as a kid I'd hate to lose games that I can pick up and play before school or something - which is what the saturn's arcade style library was great for. The PS1 library is awesome but I do get pretty exhausted with games which require 20+hour investments.

I'll admit that I don't remember much because I last played it more than 2 years ago. I didn't beat it, I remember playing it up to the beginning of the 2nd disc, I was intent on beating it but had other things to take care of and other games to play, and in the end I forgot about it. I liked it a lot, especially the combat. The story didn't involve me so much but maybe it gets better further on. I hope to play it again and this time finish it some day.

I was a poorfag, plus living with parents who hated video games, didn't have much choice.

It's rare for me to care very much about a story in a game, but the way it ends up coming together, the end of the game re-contextualizes everything you do in the game and the game becomes a representation of the christian concepts of the father, the son and the holy spirit, and it's a pretty incredible moment. What I liked most about the combat is it never requires you to grind, and manages to be tactical and really rewarding when you spec in extremes in the dragon forms. It's a thrill to destroy a boss which killed you in two attacks and find out there's an intuitive strategy to eliminate them in two or three cycles before they can even land a hit on you.

Some of the dungeons, like Uru do drag on a little, but there's still some absolutely incredible moments, like the second Atolm dragon battle. I couldn't believe the Saturn was showing off a real-time cutscene with so much movement so fluidly and with so many effects going on at once. I've played a lot of 5th generation games, many of the high end ones but nothing comes to mind that looks as incredible as some of the stuff pulled off in Saga. The cutscene is around the 1 minute mark in the embed.