RPG thread

I'm out of the loop on RPGs and don't know anything besides the big ones like
you get the point, what other RPGs are there, is Wasteland 2 a good game that deserves my money.

Divinity Original Sin is pretty fun. The story is very weird and silly, but it's got fun tactical combat

do you only play western rpgs?

No.

play panzer dragoon saga

might and magic 6,7,8 are great and you dont even have to play 1-5. Might and magic 6 is prolly my favorite game

It's meh, pick it up if it's on sale for like five dollarydoos. Difficulty and seriousness are all over the place, but not in an overall cohesive way like Fallout 1 and 2. And it takes SO FUCKING LONG TO MOVE AROUND.

Top fucking tier dungeon design.

castle alamos and ghariks forge are my favourite (despite those pesky warlocks)

Holy fuck it took me hours to clear out all of those goddamn Magyars.

Xenogears is a good JRPG that what I'm currently playing.

Play Might and Magic 3-8 for sure.

Also

Good places to start.

Also Knights of the Chalice.

Xenogears is great until the second disc where they stole its budget for FF8 and the Spirits Within.
Xenosaga 1 is decent, Xenosaga 2 is awful, Xenosaga 3 is fantastic.

Best JRPGs are Wild ARMS 2, Shadow Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile, Breath of Fire 3, SMT: Nocturne and Chrono Trigger (aka Xenogears episode 6)

Try Nox. It's like if Diablo was a real video game.

Seconded, I'm having a fantastic time with Divinity OS.

Try shin megami tensei, or persona if you're a massive flaming faggot

The only SMT main series game worth playing is Strange a Journey. Nocturne is boring, overrated mediocrity.

Aren't 3 and 4 only for flaming faggots, I heard 5 is going to be like 4 with the anime turned down and have some of the old games' mechanics, like SR4 was 2+3.

I've heard 5 described as 2+3 in terms of story with 4 Golden gameplay enhanced with a few P1+2 mechanics, though much more difficult.

never heard of Knights of the Chalice. Know where I can get a good torrent?

IN!

What is everyone playing?? I'm going through Fallout 1.5 right now I only restarted my character 3 times am happy with the guy I have currently.

I am so horrible at the game I end up playing the same kind of character each time.

Which types of RPGs do you like?

Well Fo2 is really old so I suppose I can let people know about my secret build.

The free stat is for either Luck or Per or Str depending on what you want most. This character uses burst fire to kill anything in a turn because of fast shot you get two bursts.

I plan on getting Slayer and Sniper so I put the point into str.

Second this, the Might and Magic series was fantastic when 6 released. Although it is very outdated now, atleast pirate the GOG version of M&M 6,7 and 8 and try them out. I never finished 7 though, just couldn't get into that one.

Co-op shallow shit made by sjws. 10/10

As long as you buy it at least five times. You want a legitimate recommend or just baiting?

Legitimate recommend.

Man, I tried so hard to enjoy RPGs, and always felt that I just wasn't "getting it" when I wasn't enjoying them, but I really think they're just not my genre. I tend to enjoy the "hobo phase" where you start out, you suck, and every new find is satisfying, but generally once I get into my stride and the game opens up my interest wanes. In very story focused ones it's the opposite, for example when I tried Planescape, I wanted to talk to everyone and find everything, I spent hours exploring the city initially, checking every nook and cranny and talking to people, but the issue is I become so obsessed with finding things that I end up savescumming to make sure I didn't miss anything, but at this point it becomes like flipping through a choose your adventure book at random to see what happens. Besides that I can't really role-play, I can generally set up a kind of character, and from there make choices as I believe they would, but I don't seem to get any kind of buzz out of it.

Am I fucked or could I potentially enjoy RPGs if I approach them differently? Note that I do enjoy the souls games, combat is fun, I usually just find a weapon I like and stick with it, and the story elements reward exploration but are spread thinly enough that I don't go crazy trying to find them.

You need to 'role play' as in don't try for everything on your first playthrough using DA:O as an example the first time I played that I fucked things up on purpose and stuck with that decisions I made the second playthrough I did a "perfect play-through" if you are worried for making a sub optimal choice just beat the game once on your own and on your 2nd playthrough you can have all the optimal choices.

JRPGs are better

If you haven't played Icewind Dale or Temple of Elemental Evil you need to get on that

I watched DSP's failure of a playthrough last night and I have to say, I'm impressed at how much he managed to fuck up.
I did not think it was possible to be THAT bad at a casual RPG bait game, but he did it.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

God, I need to just playthrough that game. The first time I tried I went a little mod crazy and never finished.

Why?

Ever underestimate DSP. He tried to bring a shotgun to a sniper fight and barely got past the name screens in Persona.

Because he is genuinely bad at video games.

wow

Age of Decadence is rather good.

Low Fantasy and historically "inspired".

There are tons of branches to the subquests and varied consequences for the character and the world in general. The main downside was the character consequences mainly took the form of faction/reputation with the multiple groups in the game instead of branching story based consequences. But those are harder to write.

Why not? It's funny to watch someone go full retard. Every game game DSP plays, he finds a way to go full retard, ways I would never have even thought one COULD go full retard. It's fascinating.

He also took 50 hours to beat it (possibly more).

That's right.
Fifty. Five times ten.

To beat an above average game with about 10 hours worth of content, 15 if you talk to everyone and do every side quest.

vampire the masquerade bloodlines

You can always believe in DSP's ability to fuck up at anything. It's one of the Universal Constants.

I wish the people who make RPGs could balance their games or, failing that, tell you on the box which stats I can safely dump. As it stands I always have to look up guides so as not to gimp myself and I end up ruining the game for myself by min/maxing.

t. J.E Sawyer

Japanese RPGs are superior.

bumperoni

is Original Sin 2 looking any good?

it is possible that he got the magic knight advance class. He never gets better gear for his party though

because it makes you feel good that you will never be as bad at video games as DSP