Changes made in localization that were actually good OR Xenosaga general

Let's do a Bizzaro Holla Forums thread that probably won't turn up much, but is interesting anyway.

Remember when the our idea of censorship was changing a dude cutting his own head off with a knife into a dude twisting his own head off, then removing japanese censorship so you could see his face as his decapitated head talked to a loli robot?

I remember.

Failing any other good changes, make the thread about Xenosaga and the other Xeno games, either's fine with me.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/c4LHV
twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/815967520851116034?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, there's always that situation where Japanese devs want to make violent games, but can't release them in Japan, so they cut their version and add violence for everywhere else. It's pretty nice of them. I recall it was done in Rising, No More Heroes, Ninja Gaiden and according to memory, Nioh.

Well western versions of castlevania bloodlines changed trap face of Eric Lecarde into more or less manly looking dude even if still wearing miniskirt.

Nips prettty much have no excuse in this tbh

In TiTS, when you activated a chest that was already empty it would say the chest is empty, in the gook version, this code is repeated FOR ALL the chests, they actually typed "the chest is empty" for X amount of times for each fucking chest in the game, gook coding 101, so xseed changed the line for something different for each chest.

I was about to post this.

Xenosaga was butchered in censorship in other ways.
I wouldn't call one case of debatable improvement worth it.

Dragon's Dogma is one of the few games that is actually better after localization.

Seriously just in this song you've got:

In Bloodborne, insight is a resource you get when you learn about eldritch horrors. One way for people to gain insight in the world is to put eyes on the inside of their brain to see like the Great Ones do, which either intentionally or not makes "insight" a pun about in-sight, the ability to literally see inside oneself.

This doesn't make the English version necessarily better than the nip version though. I don't have any examples of a pun being lost in translation from Bloodborne but DaS1 has a couple clever Japanese puns like how Pinwheel is "sanninbaori" (three-person party), which is from "nininbaori" (two-person party) which is a party game where two people share a big sweater and one must perform actions for the other (usually eating) with their arms through the sweater.

Nice trips, though.

It clearly disappears.

I meant at the end.

Thanks

I disagree, recent Dragon Quest games did this and their localizations often reach into almost unreadable bullshit tier multiple times in each game.

I doubt anyone here would call an instance of censorship, even one that arguably (and bafflingly, given the intent) made a scene more violent, a good move. I mean, while better than neglecting to show something, or outright changing the story of the game (BoF IV, for example), it's still likely not the same intent or tone the developers originally intended.

As far as perhaps good localization induced changes go, I remember hearing that the western version of Rogue Galaxy had a number of changes and additions, which would eventually be backported to Japan as Rogue Galaxy: Director's Cut. Tales of the Abyss also saw additional content and some amount of bugfixes for the western PS2 release (the JP release likely being rushed to meet the series 10th anniversary), changes and fixes which Japan wouldn't officially see until the 3DS port if memory serves (unless the PS2 the BEST print included the bugfixes, anyhow).

If you mean the blood in the western versions of MGR, didn't MGS4 already confirm that artificial blood for cyborgs was white, hence making the change to red blood a possible lore issue? Plus, with cyborgs having white artificial blood in MGS4 and MGR (JP), the fact that Sam bleeds red amongst all of them would have given the whole "He barely had any cyborg enhancements" line from Raiden a lot more oomph.

The sounds are edited in.

You dickhead, the video shows how the helmet gets knocked on every rung, not the sound.

Guys?

Don't

you

think

some

censorship

is

good?

This

thread

is

actually

about

changes

made

to

localised

games

that

werent

in

the

original

version.

tbh as long as the message and level of impact is conveyed, then some changes are fine, such as in the OP video where I'd probably argue that tearing off your arm and twisting your head head off with your own hands is more disturbing than cutting it off, especially with the sounds that accompanied it

A codec conversation claims the red blood is the modern advanced version, and it's why Raiden never needs to go get his blood filtered before he dies again like in 4. It would be nice if it was an option in the settings anyway, since it does give it a different visual flair. Kojima seems to have a thing against that, though. Platinum usually includes language options in their games, for example, but Rising had it missing like all the other MG games.

It's a shame, since I'm still irritated we never got the opportunity to play as Japanese Raiden instead of Quinton Flynn. I also happily ignored the garbage story in Vanquish by playing it in the spanish dub, and was hoping I could try that again. Not including other dubs is the worst.

Oh yeah, let's inflate the filesize even more! As if 60 gigs of game isn't enough - that being said, selectable language packs should be a thing.

Checking some youtube videos, the blood is still white in the Japanese version of MGR, Sam aside, thus making that Codec dialogue something added (or changed, if it's replacing a codec in the original Japanese script) as justification to make the game more gory. Not entirely sure who might be to blame there, be it Konami, Platinum, or 8-4 themselves.

Considering that Metal Gear isn't exactly niche and generally takes place with western characters and locations, I suspect Konami was all too happy to

I expect for most companies, it's an issue of weighing what the majority of the western playerbase would prefer to be hearing as spoken audio, and/or a licensing issue, where including more than one language is either a costly affair, or the agreement between the seiyuus and the developer or Japanese publisher locks their voices to only that version (which I think has happened with XSEED in regards to Falcom's games).

Plus, in the older generations, for games that might already take up a large amount of disc space in their own original format, you could run into spacing issues in trying to include multiple full dialogue tracks on top of that existing data, and any other languages the game's script might need to have been translated into itself. This had a few solutions: Either include a single audio language (what most games do), cut the audio up to fit some, but not all, of the audio for both (Fucking NISA with AT2), or divide up the game into multiple discs (an actually smart move of NISA for Sakura Wars 5; Disc 1 is English Audio, while Disc 2 is the original Japanese, disc 2 being a whopping 7.5 GB in size) which of course adds further to the production cost. There's some cases of companies dropping the audio altogether for whatever reason, not even dubbing over it (such as Agetec removing the lyrics to "Windward Birds", as well as the combat-only voicing in Wild Arms ACF) too. At the very least, I suppose with blu-ray and digital downloads, disc spacing issues involving dual audio are a bit less of an issue, though now there's just plain old filesize bloat all around (just looking at the minimum required hard drive space for the PS3 Tales games in disc format, Vesperia PS3 needed 899KB, Graces f 4.3GB, Xillia 2.3GB, Xillia 2 3GB, and Zestiria a whopping 10GB, some of those having forced disc installations because playing them as is from the disc itself just isn't enough anymore).

Forgot to finish my thought there on the first greentext. I suspect Konami was all too happy to just use a single dub, and I kind of doubt there's all that much demand from the western fanbase for an undub effort for Metal Gear, compared to JRPGs and Japan-centric games. Just my thought though.

The Japanese rating board. Understand that they are much more strict about violence/sex than the ESRB, so games that have to be censored in Japan can be released uncensored elsewhere.

Final Fantasy XII also did this, hiring stage actors that can act instead of voice actors that can only do anime voices. They also gave each nation it's own accent and dialect, where in the Japanese version they all speak alike.

Other language dubs should definitely be optional downloads for a game, as should super-HD textures and models and shit. Players should be able to download a base game that runs and get the extra shit on top if they want it, the way Shadow of Mordor and a few others made their HD texture packs optional.

I had to read that a few times to understand it. Not because you wrote it poorly, but because I could not, at first, comprehend the stupidity. Fucking hell…

I'm pretty sure that the original Japanese game used the English voices, so that's not really a localization change.

No, I meant who was responsible for the change to red blood in the west and that codec to attempt to justify it. Unless Kojima himself has said something to the effect of it having been the other way around (that he'd wanted the cyborg blood in MGS4 and Rising to have been red all along but couldn't get away with it as easily in Japan, hence it being white) it still basically goes against the original vision for cyborgs in the series, and if the codec dialogue itself was added content, that's one thing, but if it's outright replacing some dialogue in the original version, that's another.

Pretty much this. That old version of the game in which it seemed you were hacking up regular human foes likely would've gone through hell trying to get released in Japan, since they have particular rules governing showing people having limbs removed. It's a complicated matter and I wouldn't mind reading more about the whole matter of making extremely violent games that they can't even release uncut in their own country.

Dragon's Dogma was a nice compromise.

Strangely, I've never found many places that actually compare the dubs/translations. I recall the translator for 1 claiming they took a lot of liberties to make it flow correctly, but other than that, nothing. Raiden's voice actor is much deeper, and a lot less nasal, but it's hard to even find clips of it on youtube.

COR BLIMEY

The actual game content in Metal Gear Rising was only like two gigabytes.

Aging up characters is stupid but I found that changing Rorona from 14 to 17 in her game made her simplicity less about her being young and more about her just being dumb, which is what Gust was going for anyway.

This. Clover and Itsuno's games generally had English voice acting as the original, if not the only language available for them. Only exception I can think of for Clover's part is Okami, which is more Japanese than most games.

The Berserk game that'll release in the west next month will have more violence(And a PC version) compared to the Japanese version. That said though, the amount of nudity will probably be the same(No bare nipples).

Kid Icarus Uprising was all around better. They made the writing more fun, the characters unique, and villains interesting.

If it was current year Nintendo they would have just thrown in a bunch of Internet memes, political/social preaching, censored some shit, and called it a day.

its a shame they are localizing Mother 3.

Can't they just copy and paste the fan translation? It would take the least amount of effort.

You've never played dubbed and originals and compared them yourself, have you?

Advance Wars:Days of Ruin. While the plot and story are unchanged, characters are fleshed out more in the English script. For example, one character is revealed to be a clone of someone. While in Japanese he simply states "I killed the original," in the English version he says "Have you ever watched yourself die? It is fascinating!"

If anything, this thread is an argument to get someone to proofread (you)'re shit.

Pitter in Akiba Strip was basically 2channel in the nip release, but xseed made it into a 4chan clone rather than copying reddit or tumblr.

Pitter was pretty great. I expected a twitter rip off because of the name and got "you traps just ain't right"

Fucking duwang always gets me

Funky Student in Persona 4 and Henry in Fire Emblem: Awakening come to mind.

You know they won't. They have to make it for a modern audience user. It'll be rough to see considering how much I love that game, but at least we will always have the fan translation.

Wasn't she already a strong independent woman that needed no thief?

yes, but the western version of strong and independent basically equates to bitchy and annoying.

and I don't know about you, but I don't think I want Kumatora constantly reaffirming her dominance over the male characters in some sarcastic manner as well as them cutting out the maid scene.

This isn't true, you can actually turn on Japanese voice acting on the console version and there's a mod that restores it on the PC version. You're thinking of all of the "souls" games which have no Japanese voice acting (even Demon's Souls which didn't originally intend to have an English release).

Which console version? I thought it was only added in Dark Arisen.

I'm not sure what you're asking about, Dark Arisen was on consoles well before it was on PC. They added in the Japanese voice acting in DA because it was a requested feature from people that played the game a lot.

Here's an article with an interview about the game's localization if you're interested: archive.is/c4LHV

What are you talking about? All I said is that the original game had English voices instead of Japanese, so the "creative English writing" that user was talking about was in the original version, not added in localization.

It was pretty well done, imo. Nana's excessive bro puns were cringey but Pitter was just great.

Best of all, Xseed left the whole JP script in so you can change languages, reload your file and check the Potsuri feeds for comparison.

Probably they wouldn't touch Kumatora after learning there's a good chance she's a hermaphrodite and muh trans acceptance.

From what I remember hearing, the Japanese version of KIU was dull and boring enough that Sakurai told Treehouse to go to town on it like Tatsunoko had Saban do with Samurai Pizza Cats.

It's honestly not that difficult to do if all ladders are rung the same way, just a nice detail.

Just because the game was localized during development doesn't mean it wasn't localized. The creative writing was not in the Japanese version and the Japanese players were not intended to listen to English voices, I don't see why Dragon's Dogma isn't applicable to this thread.

they didn't copy paste the code for each chest, or have a base template for the object?

I find that hard to believe.

Ah, so that's why the KIU replacement for Codecs was so boring in Smash 4; they were drawing too much on orinigal KIU.

no there isn't, but they would probably make that canon.

No, if that were the case we wouldn't be having all that meme bullshit in them.

They could add 3 years to every female coming out of japan and it would make sense. The problem is that in their country you have to be an adult and be married INSTANTLY AFTER 18 YOU MUST BE ADULT AND PROFESSIONAL WITH A GOOD JOB AND A DOCTORATE WITH 2 KIDS THE VERY SECOND YOU ARE 18. So they don't make females in their late teens or early 20s.

I seem to recall hearing, back when there was a poster called xseeddude at half/vg/, that they had to help explain certain kinds of Japanese cultural artifacts and imageboard lingo to their boss, having already been immersed in it for a while. Like how "trap" is an effective western equivalent for "onnanoko" or whatever the Japanese term is, and what a fujoshi is.

Wasn't Samuari Pizza Cats more a case that the translators weren't even given the script or episode ordering back then, or something? it and Ghost Stories are kind of exceptions given their circumstances (Ghost Stories having been considered an abysmal adaptation in Japan and the western team told to do pretty much whatever they had to to get it to sell, hence this). The same circumstances don't exactly apply to vidya, where at bare minimum a game will usually have a text script of some sort, barebones or not, that can be ripped, so there's no "we don't have a written script to translate" excuse for stuff.

As far as JRPGs go, there's a number with older than average playable women, and not simply the "character is immortal and chooses to look young" type. Margarete in Shadow Hearts for example; while her given age is unknown, considering she's supposed to be Mata Hari, that would make her 37 at the time the game takes place, provided it's indeed meant as the same person. On that note, her real life equivalent was executed two years after Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Illusion of Gaia improved Viper's sprite in the US release.

They're still doing it as far as Cold Steel, five games later.

The original version was still a humorous game. Sakurai just said that the Japanese script "is something that takes advantage of the nuances of Japanese conversation" so it would probably sound too unnatural if it were translated more literally.

If you compare them side by side, all that's pretty much changed is the jokes.

I probably need to play Mother 3 again, but was there even a single line even vaguely implying /ss/, or do people like just drawing that?

What is the correct order to play that games?

Are only nes versions available?

The problem is if the game is too gruesome then the game falls into trouble with japanese rating boards

There is no winning as long as console producers refuse to sell games marked with highest rating

Uh, I googled it and looks like the nintendo switch is getting the game

twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/815967520851116034?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I wonder if it will look better than the gba version or something

Vagrant Story had this too. In fact the one who translated this is an expert in Ye Olde English and was given the freedom to apply that in the translation. The result is toptier.

Actually, they aren't. XSEED managed to sneak in a bit of chest action on the chalenge chests in Cold Steel II though.

It was left up in the air as to whether or not Kumatora was a Magypsy, user. There's only seven other people on the Nowhere Islands that naturally have pink hair, are psychic, and can pass as either gender if they put care into their appearance.

No, Kumatora and Lucas didn't have a thing that I recall. A lot of M3 was about subverting the expectations drawn by the previous two games and Kumatora makes a pass at Duster (referred to by several people as "shabby" as well as having the bum leg) at the end of the game. People just like drawing it. Kumatora and Duster shacking up sucks anyways.

There's a big thing in Japan about "untouchables" and people who have severed body parts, especially fingers. It's the reason the L4D box art had to be changed to add the thumb back in to the zombie hand, they couldn't even sell the game for cultural reasons with a digit missing from a hand.

Great game, heaps of fun, but like Star Fox Zero the controls are just shit. Maybe Kid Icarus will get a twin-stick control scheme if it ever gets remade, but considering how hard it flopped I doubt that will ever happen.

It'd be cool to set up KIU in Citra to work with an actual trackball considering characters themselves liken the control-setup to "spinning a globe".

If I'm not mistaken she was adopted by them and has dyed hair.

Sunglasses Hitler always makes me smile. This was a localization change right?

She was adopted but dye is never brought up to my recollection.

Well, beyond that, characters who knew her before she lived with them refer to her as a female and that was before the whole gender movement was a thing. There are also Japanese pronouns for a hermaphrodite and I don't think the fan localization would exclude them. If she was written to be a hermaphrodite, there would be more there than just having pink hair and having psychic powers. Of course, if NoA handles the localization, they may insert more there to support this.

It's never directly stated she's got both, just implied through things like being mistaken from a man from the back, then the little girl making the mistake changing her mind and saying she's really pretty on second thought. She's raised as a girl but it's up in the air as to what the hell she is since there's evidence both for and against her being a Magypsy.

I think it's much more reasonable to say that since she was adopted by Magypsys she's just taken to their culture a bit, in which they do dress in a consfused manner which led to Kumatora being a tomboy, rather than girly.

being a herm is a huge stretch.

The jacket he's wearing was, as well.

They took out all the human death but were polite enough to turn everyone into badass robots.

How nice of them.

How does that saying go about communities that pretend to be retarded to get laughs eventually get flooded by retards who think they're in good company? This thread is the result of that.

No, all versions of the the game for the PSP were changed including the Japanese so it could be released in the European market.

both verseion are shit
the best option would be the japanese one without the shadows

Wasn't Kumatora not an actual Magypsy?

If it's not what the writer/creator intended to be, it's by definition the cancer killing video games. Go back to reddit, find a helpful video on how to make a bleach smoothie then chug it.

Exactly, and it was established that before she was adopted she was a girl.

The treehouse really doesn't need some out there theories that she is a herm for an excuse to pander. We are already going to have to see the game dragged through an awful localization as it is. I'm just thankful the fan translation came out before everything went full liberal agenda. Shame that emulators can't get the timing on the combat right though.

How about if the localization covers a plot hole with something that makes sense instead of a crappy contrivance?

This triggers my autism so much.

What if they ask the writer/creator if it's ok to change something, and when I mean ask, I really mean ask, not force, and the writer/creator agrees(maybe he thinks that the change is better/cleverer/funnier than what he intended)?

It was actually censorship.