What was the biggest vidya blunder of 2016 Holla Forums?

What was the biggest vidya blunder of 2016 Holla Forums?

You already know it was No Man's Sky.

Not much room to improve when you already posted the biggest one, OP.

No Man's Sky. The other blunders are already forgotten.

no mans sky, along with super mario run, pokeman go (matter of opinion), battleborn, ps VR, and probably The Last Guardian.

I can honestly say I had forgotten about battleborn until I saw this thread. No Man's Buy no question.

The thing is, NMS probably made a COCKLOAD of money from subhuman Redditors and normalfags who thought they would be getting le Epic Meme Game 2: Skyrim Rebirth where you can do ANYTHING! Battleborn was a fucking financial disaster that might have genuinely killed Gearbox's ability to develop original games.

NMS had so many refunds that they lost 90% of profits within 2 weeks. I'm sure Sony was quite happy when Steam told them how much money they had to give back.

I imagine the consolefags who bought it and never bothered to return it more than made up for the lost PC profits.

yes, but no mans sky destroyed the trust Sony's decaying fanbase.
it was supposed to be a killer app for the PS4 but ended up being a massive flop that further ruined their reputation in the gaming market.

no. I could explain why but it would take a while.

That money comes from the devs pockets, not the publisher lmao

I kinda want to know the answer too fam

Consolefags tried to sell them through shit like Craigslist hoping to make some money back but ended up just flooding the market with used copies, which meant stores would give them something like $5 at most a day after launch.

sometimes i wonder if battleborn is a fucking calculated blunder, like it becomes a tax write off for them or something, its like fucking mathematically set up to fail, releasing against a stronger competitor with a similar title to theirs ignoring all marketing that games like these need to succeed (see "meet the" videos and overwatches flashy CG trailers to introduce characters) and having the most cohesive fucking cast of characters i've ever seen

i want to understand why the fuck they found this acceptable to ship when those kikes at gearbox usually know how to wring some money out of casuals with games like borderlands

most console gamers do not pre order anymore, they usually wait and see if others like it before they think about making a purchase. PC gamers typically are more interested in pre-orders because they typically are more interested in the pre-order bonus. No Man's Sky became a very big trade-in game at gamestop, and also started booming online as a popular resell game.

I dunno about 2016 but the biggest blunder of 2001 was OPs mom forgetting to use contraception… again.

Video games

Gearbox doesn't know what the fuck they are doing that's the thing. If you look at their flops to success ratio usually they release something that flops big time before getting lucky with a massive hit that offsets their fuckups. Borderlands was a game that literally saved the company especially considering how badly Hell's Highway did.

Gearbox really is a bunch of incompetent fuckwits that are only alive through sheer blind luck.

Source?

Please. Wishful thinking
I saw the statistics and only a minority of buyers asked for a refund.

I don't have the link but I believe it was a quote from a gamestop report or something

true. They'll probably stick to borderlands and homeland from now one as their major series, unless brothers in arms takes off

No man's sky was a bigger blunder overall.

But I loved to see Battleborn fail cause it was a massive fuck you to SJWs and the concept that people want to see ugly female characters.

Steam made announcements about being flooded with refund requests for NMS, and was contacted by Sony to help with damage control. Needless to say it was bad.

See the important thing about a successful scam is saying "No refunds". Selling your game through steam isn't really the best way to do that.

NMS is by far the biggest blunder of the year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Steam allow people to get a full refund on it for any reason?

Battleborn was much less hyped, and was effectively buried by Overwatch. While mediocre, it was at least partially a victim of circumstance. NMS was just horrible mishandling from start to finish.

Honorable mentions include the shit listed in (didn't Battlefront release last year, though?), as well as Super Mario Run.

2015, I mean. My head is still stuck in 2016.

Misunderstanding is a nice euphemism for 100% false advertising.

TLG, as rushed as the development was, has some redeeming values. It has an average steam rating, which is fair.

Evolve going Free to play

Rushed port from the PS3 build, fucking game wasn't even optimized even on better hardware, graphics and framerate can take a shit from time to time.

Turtle Rock has stopped development on Evolve, a year or so from now, it's going to the trash.

b-b-b-b-b-b-but look at the end… is going up again, r-right guys?

Sean Murray doomed himself out of any decent job that is not politics now.

Almost forgot to post this cringy shit.

Wait, are we talking 'quality' blunders or sales blunders? Because half of the games on that list sold pretty good. Mafia 3 especially, setting a new launch record for its publisher.

Guess we'll see if Gearbox continues to fuck up. I suspect that Battleborn failing as hard as it did has put them in a tough spot financially, but then again they made assloads of money on BL so who really knows.

Hypothetically, if there isn't even a whiff of awkwardly-shoehorned-in socjus bullshit in BL3, I might, consider giving them money. Time will tell.

What a distorted history of what happened.

People claimed that they were getting refunds for NMS with more then two hours.
That can sometimes happen as sometimes they will give you a refund if its over by a bit.

So of course fucking retards which you are probably among spread that Steam was making an "exception" despite no evidence.

So steam said no, despite what some retards think we are still kikes and sometimes when we fuck you we don't go balls deep.

The other guy is right, there was only a slight dent in total purchases from NMS.

Randy really is a piece of shit. Blunderborn failed because it was made by failures, they projected this into their game and everyone hated it.

That's good news if it's accurate.

Was TLG really that bad or was it just disappointing considering how long it took to make it?

NMS
Owners: 823,363 ± 23,731
Players in the last 2 weeks: 75,912 ± 7,213 (9.22%)

Blunderborn
Owners: 310,287 ± 14,578
Players in the last 2 weeks: 15,075 ± 3,214 (4.86%)

It would be hard to top Yes Woman's Ground and Stillborn but this is up there somewhere.

Maybe not the biggest blunder, but the developers of JUSTbusters: the vidya filing for bankrupcy 5 days after the release was pretty fucking amusing

Its even worse when you take into account that Blunderborn was made on a much higher budget than NuMales Sky

Wait, people still play NMS unironically? I wonder which of those two had a larger initial player dropoff rate.

Yeah and then Hitler came back and personally strangled Sean Murray. That's why he can't tweet lies anymore.

Hitler also announced a new CD at the same day. It will be gangster rap coupled with german folk music from what I heard.

Do both of you have any sources to back your shit up?

You are. Steam had the same return policy for NMS as for any other game.
NMS also made a shit ton of money.

Speaking of which can we please stop talking about this game now? It's getting kinda tiring after constantly seeing people beat this horse.

It got patched recently so faggots with too much emotional investment in the turd are trying it out again, hoping to find some redeeming value.

so, what will be the biggest flop for 2017 then?
ass effect?
for honor?
yooka laylee?
or shenmue 3?
will star citizen ever release?

Ass Effect won't fail financially, but will not be well-remembered.
For Honor could go either way since we don't know much about the game. Concept looks cool, but it's Ubishit so execution will probably suck.
Yooka laylee will probably just be a middling platformer. Decent, but not spectacular.
Shenmue 3 won't come out for a long ass time.
Star Citizen development will end when Chris Robers is sued for defrauding investors.

I was gonna post Evolve but it actually came out in 2015. Stage 2 was released in June, though.

Before this thread I honestly thought Battleborn and Paladins were the same game.

Didn't someone already file a lawsuit? I remember hearing something about that.

All crapcunts are exactly the same. It amazing really how fast they can make a clone while real games stuck in development hell.

Pretty much every major game that came out was an embarrassment to all of us, even if the industry will only admit to a fraction of them.

I bought battle born and no mans sky off Gumtree for £2 each and no mans sky is a fundamentally worse game. Battleborn has the cringe gearbox nonemedy and memeshit but plays okay, no mans sky looks nice and the soundtrack is amazing but it is articial busywork without end in constant borinbg snadbox worlds of nothing.

stage 2 was a step in the right direction but the game itself is too fundamentally flawed to work in the first place

should have just made it a coop pvp game with really interesting big monsters to fight, the asymmetry fucked the game balance and put people off the game

i meant pve

Armored Warfare by Obsidian was a big ass blunder. Quite literally they could have taken the rug from under Wargaming's feet and killed World of Tanks. Instead they fucking blew it.

The latter. It really doesn't deserve a place next to Battleborn, Mighty No. 9 or NMS.

I would also say that the new Battlefront doesn't either, given I remember reading that that piece of shit somehow sold 12 million copies, but I don't know if people abandoned it pretty quickly or what.

It was being sold for $9 in the playstation store over the holidays. I would say that a full price retail game dropping to a single digit price is a sign it didn't do so well.
not that anybody bought it even at $9, based on how it was set up, i'd imagine that without the DLC all the lobbies are fucking empty

The fact they released this and not the game that everyone really wanted that's trapped inside this game. Yes they decided to make this shit instead of giving us Timesplitters 2!

Nu Males Sky for sure. But Star Citizen team sure tried its best to fuck up whenever they could.

this is the true blunder. because not only did it stop doing well at all, it managed to piss off every single person even remotely interested with its full on drop.

Mafia 3, Final Fantasy 15, Nu Males Sky. Good year of casual getting fucked.

The SIDF really is real?

pokeman go was hardly a blunder, it doesn't mean "game I don't like"

Gamers.

Remember none of the triple A trash would exist if people didn't buy it.

The thing is, people aren't right now. Battlefield 1 will probably do really well, but everything else is either flopping or a lower budget work. Halo's dead, CoD's dead, Mass Effect is doomed, loads of reboots and ip rebranding attempts aren't sticking.

That's actually rather true. There has been a lot of AAA flops this year. AAA that even sold well that rely on DLC whoring don't have people sticking with their game to buy their overpriced map packs.

This badboy right here.

What movie is that picture from?

Nvm, apparently one of the games had live action cutscenes. For a moment thought there was a WH40k movie out there.