Dorf Fort general

Dwarf Fortess General. Post anything relating to dwarf fortress on this thread. Praise Armok and all that.

Now, I got to request something: What advanced world gen parameters should I gen a very interesting world from? I'm a idiot at figuring out what parameters would be good. Also, does someone remember that nightmare world where the oceans were haunted and at the beaches it rained blood?

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
archive.is/QFUnF
8ch.net/v/res/7635734.html
archive.is/bahoJ
8ch.net/v/res/7594132.html
archive.is/Y7yR2
8ch.net/v/res/7572127.html
archive.is/FjXKW
8ch.net/v/res/7549996.html
archive.is/eAfTV
8ch.net/v/res/7531355.html
archive.is/NkZvK
8ch.net/v/res/7516804.html
archive.is/gHHeo
8ch.net/v/res/7498546.html
archive.is/CEd8G
8ch.net/v/res/7480420.html
archive.is/ap4gz
8ch.net/v/res/7459287.html
archive.is/78NEZ
8ch.net/v/res/7429079.html
archive.is/offset=870/http://8ch.net/v*
archive.is/LKQD7
8ch.net/v/res/7381584.html
archive.is/4pwxh
8ch.net/v/res/7357351.html
archive.is/XEXl3
8ch.net/v/res/7376075.html
archive.is/vercg
8ch.net/v/res/7344636.html
archive.is/Ox0WR
8ch.net/v/res/7310185.html
archive.is/svpZ5
8ch.net/v/res/7265435.html
archive.is/eaKPW
8ch.net/v/res/7236849.html
archive.is/USUqL
8ch.net/v/res/7141533.html
archive.is/kj2TE
8ch.net/v/res/7083952.html
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Quickstart_guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So how about that new version of RimWorld?

Atleast dwarf fortress has something ultimately to work toward as opposed to lmao leave the planet game over or lmao move your base and do it again with no offworld interaction after years of early access selling out

Don't worry. Managing multiple bases and trade routes will come to DF in 2022

Strange how dwarf fortress is an actual game and costs 0$ and the mods are optional and all encompassing yet rimjob costs 40$ and relies on mods to flesh out the content of the game that's been promised for years and never delivered. And how tynan literally steals modder's work, mainlines it, then gives them no credit, which is why many of them have quit?

So is Rimworld
Same with rimworld
kek
30$
It's fine without them.
Not true. Nice story though.
Profit motivation rules the world. It gets shit done. Toady is busy adding things like music or any excuse he can find to avoid actually working on the hard stuff. That's why Tynan is winning.

How's that 1 year vacation working out for you with that postponed "update" to sate the steam goys who keep giving you money to sell a modding platform?

Hi Tynan. I was thinking about getting into Rimworld since I liked Dwarf fortress. Won't even spend time looking it up.

So whats toady working on now?

bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

So whats the significance of artifacts?

No clue

DEATH

Rimworld is shit, you're shit, Tynan is a kike selling a shitty overpriced game that will never hold a candle to DF, douse yourself in petrol and play with fireworks.

Go fuck yourself.

>get back into the game after many updates
I feel overwhelmed and excited.

Did I miss anything in particular?

Yeah dorf fort a poorfag shit

You can retire fortresses now without abandoning them and reclaim them later on. New dialog and the framework for tavern shit and all that goes with it. New damage stuffs and a ton more that I cant remember.

Almost forgot about that. Very interesting feature!

Combat and sneaking appears to be more complicated and deeper than last I checked. I'll have to make a ninja dwarf and see how far I can get by crawling around in the grass and choking out goblins.

Reminder that the gay 12 forums are all liberals and are influencing the game. You're all cucks for playing this "game".

The forums are cancer but so are all forums.
I haven't seen a single shred of SJW shit coming from Toady or his brother, so I'll tale your autism for granted.

Also this place seems to be getting very close to cuckchan tier on all boards.

Autism motivation > profit motivation

Turn those bogeyman off if you want to play adventure mode in your world. Increasing night trolls is usually a good idea. Remove all the game's site and population caps if you are not generating for more than 300 years. Decrease the amount of mountains if you want more space for nondwarven civilizations. Lower the number of starting civilizations by one quarter if you do not want overcrowding.

i like digging and i like telling other people to dig. i just wanna dig. and maybe brew some ale

Every now and then I binge on DF, but I eventually reach a point where I don't know what to do. It's usually when my fort becomes pretty much self sustained and I can defend myself easily. Any ideas of what I should do when I start to get bored of a fort? Preferably not start a new fort.

make wacky contraptions, like absurd monster farms or blood-powered machines

That's intriguing. What's the best way to figure out how to do stuff like that?

Tynan actually look at Dorf Fort's devlog for once. Also actually add in z levels so people can make fucking bunkers finally.

Their the cool legendary shit all fantasy needs. The release is also laying the groundwork for the big myth update.

I agree I think. Since the Toad is too busy to care for managing a forum over his game, he likely has some sort of community manager who does all the moderating. Said manager is likely a sjw though.

Toady literally does all the moderation on his own like the autist he is

"I don't want to give some random person that much power" was essentially his argument. He knows the issue of leftist bias, i mean he gets to see them at work on his own forum for fuck sake

He also did make a containment board specifically to keep the cancer on a type of quarantine.

Didn't toady add gay dwarves or gay animals or something at an absurdly high percentage?

It was a bug, but he left it because his forums demanded he did.

Well thats bullshit. Did he ever plan to actually add them though?

Yes, but the massive rate they were generated was due to a misplaced comma. It was supposed to be a rare thing.

What containment board?

Dig deeper until you find some monsters to kill

Rimworld is a better game in every aspect

Go namefag in >>>/hell/ faggot

Well, whaddya know.

This fucking thread

experiment. tear up the entire local map and turn it into one big science experiment

Long story short I made a pocket world where exactly 1 Necromancer Tower exists where all the Necromancers in the game live.
Every fort I make is steam rolled by them in under a year. I need a way to kill them off next time they show up, is there an effective way to fight off an invasion of 40 undead in under a year?
I'm thinking this could be solved by engineering a way to drop the undead into underground caves but I haven't been able to do it fast enough.
I've been making characters in Adventurer mode to kill them but I'm not having any success and even made the undead stronger in the process.
The world is tiny so theres a real possibility of them wiping out all life.
Can creatures that live in the water become necromancers?

There are some subterranean intelligent creatures that are amphibious and I think can become necromancers. Speaking of subterranean intelligent creatures I am making a mod that adds four new civilizations. The first is naga which are like serpent men but more powerful and fleshed out but what do y'all think the other three should be?

Here is what you do.
There you have just imprisoned all of them.

npc can't lock and unlock doors?

No

What does everyone listen to when playing Dorf?

I always listen to vid related or some other LOTR music, especially when I play a "beginning of time" game. Nothing makes me feel more dorfy than playing as the first Dwarven Colony.

Is the player Armok?

Eventual FPS death?

Arm_ok was originally a trigger to determine wether or not you had grasp in armok 1. armok 1 is a game where you are some sort of a fucking demigod that can deleport eyeballs out of people's skulls it never got past very basic features and randomly generated empty worlds because 99.9% of toady's time was spent working on the shitty ass 3d engine and graphics

Armok became the diety, somehow, and the second game was named slaves to armok chapter 2: dwarf fortress

What is the best starting food and why is it plump helmets.

If that were true Linux would have useful software.

every hacker uses linux man

What about the 400lb ones?

Arch

Fucking RNG.

I use mac because when your billables are $600 an hour you begin to realize that it's not worth your time to set up and maintain a good linux install.

nice LARP

what did he mean by this?

That dwarves boring as fuck and the game should be about worm people.

turkey eggs

Toady became a sadistic broken man, there is no enough suffering, there must be more suffering, more blood for the blood god, more bones for the bone throne

Do you fools seriously think Toady makes this game for "free"? im not talking about the money he gets from donations, there is something much more valuable he is after
TOADY ONE IS A LICH
AND EVERY TIME ONE OF YOUR DWARVES DIES YOU LOSE PART OF YOUR SOUL THAT FEEDS TOADY THROUGH THE GAME

Why doesn't this fat autist use his sperg powers to incorporate an actual graphics engine? It's 2017 people!

but seriously, that would take about 2 to 3 years minimum, if he is ever going to do that it will only be done after he implements all gameplay features he want (20~30 years from now)

Slaves to Armok: God of Blood is hilarious.

I would eat the fuck out of plump helmets

If that were true I wouldn't have any soul left.
Who else else drowns all their dwarves when fps gets to around 5? It's great fun to explore old forts with a dead dwarf fish tank.

…is Toady trying to make Berserk?

what makes you think you do?

i just hope he doesn't get trapped into the loli vortex too

You can't embark on the same tile as a necromancer tower anyways

Not with that attitude, you can't.

Get DFhack, fam.

In that case can I embark with a city in my embark zone?

Yes.

Why would he do that?
The best part of DF was that there was only what you choose for a setting. Anything can happen, up to and including an elf becoming king of the dwarves and slaughtering his own kind.

I much prefer DF's way of accidentally making legendary heroes who fight tooth and nail against the terrors of the world, and win.
Who needs this shitty 'muh grimderk' garbage?

Sup Tynan

As a (belated) Halloween update, today should add in an "alternate universes" or weird-o meter to world generation.
Like something where you could get a giant cavern hellworld filled with flesh volcanos or a world with cloud-islands, where whales and fish fly in giant blue abysses that replace oceans.
That probably would be hard to make, but if you made the effects really modular you could make it faster than normal.

Its his response to a question about the development of world hostility settings which range from calm to bleak and horrifying.

ive seen this post before

kill yourself

That was a copypasta. I'm not serious, friend.

Not to mention Toady made Liberal Crime Squad

Real Liberals lack the self awareness to make a game like LCS.

Is there a mod to put 2cat in the most recent version?

So what has changed since about a year ago? Need to make a new fort.

>>>/file/260
Here's one that I generated.

Is it true that DF generals always die because anons are too busy playing DF to post ITT?

Dunno

I'm playing a 4x4 embark with grey level trees and sub 20 dwarves and no running water, a small world with short history and low site count. Why am I getting 60 fps?

Did you uncap the FPS?

No, it's capped at 200

What about it? That's the default, in older versions I handled 5x5s with 100~ dorfs before I noticed under 100 fps.

a) anons burned out on too much dorf
b) dfg was at its prime due to a long due big update, now the updates are small and frequent (?)
c) dfg isn't fun anymore.jpg
d) lazy op = no fresh blood
take your pick

lets see what old threads were like

op dated @ 12/27/15 (Sun)
archive.is/QFUnF
8ch.net/v/res/7635734.html

12/24/15 (Thu)
archive.is/bahoJ
8ch.net/v/res/7594132.html

12/23/15 (Wed)
archive.is/Y7yR2
8ch.net/v/res/7572127.html

12/21/15 (Mon)
archive.is/FjXKW
8ch.net/v/res/7549996.html

12/20/15 (Sun)
archive.is/eAfTV
8ch.net/v/res/7531355.html

12/18/15 (Fri)
archive.is/NkZvK
8ch.net/v/res/7516804.html

12/16/15 (Wed)
archive.is/gHHeo
8ch.net/v/res/7498546.html

12/15/15 (Tue)
archive.is/CEd8G
8ch.net/v/res/7480420.html

12/14/15 (Mon)
archive.is/ap4gz
8ch.net/v/res/7459287.html

12/12/15 (Sat)
archive.is/78NEZ
8ch.net/v/res/7429079.html

archive.is/offset=870/http://8ch.net/v*

12/09/15 (Wed)
archive.is/LKQD7
8ch.net/v/res/7381584.html

12/07/15 (Mon)
archive.is/4pwxh
8ch.net/v/res/7357351.html

archive.is/XEXl3
8ch.net/v/res/7376075.html

12/06/15 (Sun)
archive.is/vercg
8ch.net/v/res/7344636.html

12/04/15 (Fri)
archive.is/Ox0WR
8ch.net/v/res/7310185.html

12/02/15 (Wed)
DWARF FORTRESS 0.42.01 (December 1, 2015)
archive.is/svpZ5
8ch.net/v/res/7265435.html

11/30/15 (Mon)
archive.is/eaKPW
8ch.net/v/res/7236849.html

11/24/15 (Tue)
11/23/2015 Toady One We're done with the list
archive.is/USUqL
8ch.net/v/res/7141533.html

11/20/15 (Fri)a
how do I get into Dwarf fortress?
archive.is/kj2TE
8ch.net/v/res/7083952.html

Try a 3x3. Older versions also didn't have the revamped thoughts system to handle.

Holla Forums doesn't like video games anymore.

Gonna bump so you elves dont let this shit die.

Sieges like that are pretty easy if you're prepared. Dig a hole at least 5 tiles wide, 15 or so long and at least 20 levels deep. Leave a line of surface tiles in the middle to form a bridge (don't channel them just dig under them on the next level). Then build a weapons traps on all of those bridge tiles. Doesn't matter what you put in them because the idea is that the zombies will dodie away from the trap and fall into the pit and get smashed to pieces. You can even put a stairway back to the start from the bottom so any survivors will crawl back up and jump again.

Make that the only open entrance to your fort (I think chaining an animal on the other side will work too) and you're good to go. I beat a 60 strong undead siege with one of those. They really didn't make it much further than halfway across.

I pretty much did this but with a double set that leads down a narrow passage so they cant jump to saftey.
I have it so the main route into my base can be made inacessible by raising a bridge so any attackers must go through the pressure plated trap hall.
The drop is like 50 Z levels with no way out.
Now I'm just waiting for the Praisedattacks necromancers to show up.

wew it's not dead

Started a new fort got savage freshwater mashes and savage savanna and grassland.

Almost one year in and already one major fortress conflict. The great badger incursion. 15 of the little shits raged out and beelined for my fort.

Necromancers are starting to prod my fort. What the fuck am I supposed to do.

I just got destroyed by wererabbits. Do I just need to pay attention to the dwarves fighting the first and put them all in jail?

Also, is there any benefit to generating 500+ years of history in a world?

Do you use any mods/raw edits?
if so are there any you would recommend?

Just the Peridexiserrant pack for ease of install/setup with therapist.
Good stuff.

When did he say that?

Die.

I'm lucky. The necromancers themselves just popped into the area then fucked off immediately. I went through the process of placing an unreasonable amount of traps from the entrance to the center of my fort. I've enlisted about 8 dwarves who are now full time military. There's multiple points where an emergency switch will cut off the entrance to the fort. I'm fucking ready. Can zombies throw shit?

Also, I had my miners channeling a hill down, and one of them got in some tree branches then channeled the spot he was just in, trapping him on the tree branches. Thankfully, he didn't get hurt when I had the tree chopped down.

Yes they can have ranged soldier that can fuck your shit up like any ranged character they pulled into their undead army like Marksdwarfs. I would be very careful about the Necros since that might have been a scouting party.

Fetch quests

That and a fat Patreon.

i still feel bad about killing this terrified crying cutebold thief a while ago
probably a good reason i didn't screencap the fight record
all i have is this filename

Well, that's not a bad idea, but I'd prefer if it were just a case of 'increased amount of X type units', let's say.
More goblins, demonic incursions, vampires, forgotten beasts, and such.
Though, I thought that was more or less what savagery is for.

Motherfucking esponage. No, I'm not shitting you.

That's more fitting for Hell. It'd be cool if it were a twisted nightmarescape of impossible bullshit rather than a boring expanse of flaming rocks.

Yeah, sounds like fun.

Thanks for your input

Has anyone ever compiled the libgraphics stuff in g_src? I'd like to give it a shot but I can't get the gcc command right. They really should have put a Makefile in here.

These new trees are a mystery to me.

How do I get good at Dwarf Fortress? How do I learn how to play?

Start game, press buttons, fail, start over, git gud.
Alternatively if you're a scrub you can look at youtube videos.

Tutorials and trial and error. Don't try to be perfect and accept that you can't keep all your dorfs happy and alive.

If you're really new, when embarking to your location, choose Play Now! instead of carefully preparing because the effort will be better used learning your way around.

This is the most important page you'll read: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Quickstart_guide

Get a tileset.
What is experimentation? If you don't want to learn to play go fuck yourself.

Just cut them down. All of them.

How?

Bump

I like to make small fortresses no bigger than 2x2 or 3x3 (1x1 microforts are cool too) and remove migrants. Population growth is by fort birth only.

Same way you cut down old trees. Go to the ground, d-t to designate trees and they'll chop them down.

New trees have about 6+ logs each, sometimes many more as well as fruit. They look much better, too. Its possible for things to fall and hurt creatures when its chopped but its rare. Sometimes things get spooked up a tree and cant path back down; cutting is the only way to fix it but ot shouldn't harm them

Reminds me I need to finally complete a "blood in, blood out" project. I've already abandoned two of them because of updates. The idea is to force migrants to fight in a coliseum before they are allowed to enter the fort. Only those who survive can enter. I always give up because my ideas for the coliseum are too grand and the fortress fills up by the time I get their shit together or I get sick of fighting large goblin invasions.

Cuck Fortress.

Dorf fort deserves a bump.

I play vanilla just fine, only noobs need tiles and dfhack.

Or colour-blind people.

Now the thread is just going to be a bunch of people talking about how cancerous you Holla Forums faggots are. Do you see what you've done?

Well aren't tiles colored too? It would be difficult to fit unique but discernable shapes on each tile to avoid color confusion.

that's not how you spell colour schemes

Atention anons.
Someone, most likely an autist from freech or similar, is trying to stir shit between playerbases of diferent games.
The reasons are unknown (but are likely to narrow down to terminal assburgers) but the modus operandi is always the same: jump on thread about game X, claim Y is better, then jump on thread of gaim Y and claim X is better.
When that fails, he switches proxies and starts a Holla Forums vs Holla Forums argument to further derail it.

The latest attempt has focused on Rimworld and Dorf Fortress threads.
The previous attempts known are:

Be on the lookout for the pattern and remember the years old advice our internet forefathers left us with:
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

Ha, wow kid.

quake vs doom too

This game needs
- cave ins
- need for structures to support fort levels
- going up stairs tires dorfs and takes time so you can't build infinite z levels
- slower mining
- slower skill gains
- slower military training
- some goblin machine that can punch through your walls
- goblins can dig into your fort after a long time
- significant difference between cost of building materials and materials' defense quality
- can't farm on dirt without watering it regularly

Cant see gray and white letters on black. Letter just a blur on my screen.

At one point you could throw socks or vomit and get a lucky roll and decapitate a dragon

pls no

He's right, though

Gonna make a mod, what do you faggots look for in mods?

-a new disease that must be named 'autism' and give every dorf crippling depression and unability to sire children
-another disease called 'actual depression' but the catch is that it makes dorfs immortal and super tough, to the point where even demons will die of old age before they can actually kill the dorf, but the dorf is depressed and wants to die, along with temporary bouts of insanity.
-spaghetti
-yet another disease called 'cancer' that spreads through social interaction does nothing but makes the dorf perm insane
-a new ore that makes the rest of the game useless
-toggle wormholes (portals that teleport shit to other places, but can be switched on/off)
-blood tank (something for your vampire dorf who is locked in your basement eternally doing accounting for you)

This is unironically a good idea and I may steal it and call it something like "Living Madness" and repurpose it for cursed/interaction/magic

This user here
It seems I'm about to follow 's advice. I was renovating the front of my fort so that invaders would have to go through an even longer trap-filled hallway, so naturally once there are huge holes in the front of my fort due to a lack of thinking things through should've built the walls then mined out the hillside the necromancers just started a siege. I removed everybody's labor so that the only labor active out of all the dwarves is construction and stone hauling and now I hope to fuck that they can patch up the whole fast enough.

THE FUCKING DWARVES KEEP SUSPENDING THE WALLS WHEN THEY'RE ALMOST FINISHED

if animals get in the way they'll suspend construction (cats are niggers) or if the worker gets interrupted by an enemy

all the animals are on different floors/chained up and the 20+ zombonies are halfway across the map. I don't know why they're doing this. They finished the other walls just fine.

let me see the area then nigger

I figured it out. Apparently the dwarves dropped the materials meant to be used to build the outer walls of the fortress were dropped in those specific areas. I canceled all those construction tasks and re-designated the walls to be built with the materials that were dropped on the same spot. Apparently the dwarves went to the edge of the burrow ++then++ realized that they couldn't reach the construction site. I should be safe now, but I'm going to be construction walls around the door just in case a building destroyer comes in.

Dwarfs are probably pathing through the section of wall needing to be built. Set everyone to a zone, besides a single mason, then watch the mason when he attempts to build.
If that fucker tries to stand in the tile the wall is being built order construction for walls around it and suspend the them.

And the .gif I meant to attach.

RIP doggos

They got fucked pretty hard but they managed to get one of the undead to step into a trap and get eviscerated. There's 10 serrated copper blades on each of the traps just to make sure. I've been trying to get the dogs to sire pups, but because of fuckery with chain building I couldn't.

fuck

There's 54 fucking zombies what is this

I have plenty of food and water and such. Ample living quarters, everybody has something to do. It's just that everybody keeps getting strange moods demanding thins I can't get because lol there's an absurd amount of undead outside. The dwarves are killing themselves.

Create a tunnel filled with atom smashers, or retracting bridges over pits for the undead to path into your fort.

What's a good height for undead killing pits? I get the impression the standard isn't enough.

I wasn't looking forward to that poison gas. I wish I could make a memorial slab for that olm.

That's fucking cool. In no other game would something like this happen.

Yeah no, my point stands.

Let's have a hypothetical: Toady and Tarn complete the game in like, 2035. What are their goals after that? I know they probably have textbooks full of less important core features, but, I mean, what about the other aspects of the game that desperately need attention? Will they rewrite the UI, Graphics, interaction system, etc?

God's of Armok III

I would hope he'd finally let the source code loose at that point for one thing.

I'd say closer to 2025. Updates are coming out faster these days. Anyway they will probably make another game or go past 1.0 so they can keep making patreon money.

No clue, I'd build fortifications on the same level the pit is and use the pit for marksdorf practice. If you manage to cage a necromancer you could leave him chained in a room where he can't be shot, but can still see the undead, giving you an unending pincushion room.

I really want to get into this game should I just download and play from there? Or are there guides/tutorials I have to follow prior to jumping right in?

Someone has more of these?

Theres the Peradaxis pack or however you spell it.
But the best way is to just dive head first in the game without addons and try to figure out how shit works in general.
The wiki is really useful too.
My suggestion is to figure out what makes dwarves work in the first place.

Also I should add that the game will be extremely confusing at first but eventually it really is loke learning how to read the matrix.
It's all dots and gibberish at first but eventually you will see the whole world open up to you.
The hardest thing about learning the game is figuring out the UI and wrapping your head around Z levels. After that the learning walls turns into a curve and eventually plateaus.

they kinda don't exist

Here's Simo, the flying tapir. I closed the cavern drawbridge while mobilizing the troops but forgot that military doesn't care about burrows so my favorite axedwarf got atom-smashed while I let the beast in. However, looks like Simo wasn't really a bad guy after all because he's content swimming away.

here's the source you faggots

He didn't want a thing to do with me. He's not on the list anymore.
RIP atomic dwarf

Don't ever forget the forgotten beasts.

There are skins to make it less hideous out there, try looking for the Lazy Noob Pack

THERE IS NOTHING TO DO IN THIS GAME

Once you get this game figured out there's nothing to do. I've already done the crazy challenges like visiting a glacier on an aquifer in a haunted biome. All that's left is building dumb shit in hopes that it'll destroy your base before you get bored and visiting the circus. None of which are fun. I even tried messing with mutors so I could get 3-4 necromancer towers in one spot, and even that was boring because they stopped sending me undead. I never get invaded after killing the first 5-10 attempts.

Once your fortress gets a foothold the game might as well will end.

Welcome to my world. I was so excited when I finally got into this game. The phrase "losing is fun" goes to the extreme where if you don't handicap yourself exponentially you won't have fun cause you'll never lose. I don't like handicapping myself because that's retarded. Like any game could be hard if I play with one hand. That's not the game giving me a challenge it's just Artificial difficulty Doesn't help when Toady makes the game easier with every update.

I like to have 3000 variants of very item and material so my menus are more fun to navigate.

Toady released the 2D version as a functional finished game. Then the game got some popularity and Toady started asking the fans what they wanted so as to please them and not lose his popularity, and the fans asked for retarded shit like "procedural creation myth generators" and "retarded lag creating 3D trees" and so Toady spent the last 11 years programming whatever people on reddit seem to like and the game is ruined.

This, there's a reason we haven't heard of as great a story as Boatmurdered since.

your and idoit

yeah, SA got bored and moved on