Is anyone else excited for this game?

I can't be the only one who knows about it, r-right?

store.steampowered.com/app/311290/

Other urls found in this thread:

spellforce.wikia.com/wiki/Units
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the older games were alright. they were a little too inspired by wc3 imo. Let's hope the third one will be more original.

The first game was good, the second one was a little bit disappointing I think.

Fuck I hope its good, I'm too disappointed in 2016 and besides bannerlord and Otherworld this is one of my hopefuls.

Ok OP tell me the bad news
No original devs?
Devs working in the game didnt play the original ones?
F2P?
Publishers are gooks? EA?

Spellforce was always a really cheesy attempt to put minimum effort RPG+RTS elements together in order to sell the easiest to mass-produce "content" ever. It's basically just a really really long WC3 RPG with absolutely no originality and a shittier "base" RTS game.

RPG-RTS shit was my thing back then, too bad the guys who did this didn't work that well on branding and everything else felt flat, and those screenshots, lack of updates, and not even some of the original guys who made the games, does not make me confident.

I think so unfortunately.

No clue on that one.

Nope

They're German

EA?

Nope

Abandon hope.

Why is that bad?

Because he's an idiot. THQ Nordic is nothing but good news so far.

Oh that's cool then!

Spellforce 1 is the only acceptable spellforce. Whatever the fuck spellforce 2 is isn't spellforce. spellforce 3 will be about niggers

Okay man

What does this mean? Is it like dungeon siege where you get 8 fighers but more?

It means literally what it says. It's exactly like WC3. You have 1 to 6 or 8 hero characters that level up over the course of the campaign, and then you have the typical RTS game on top of that where you build a base and gather resources and shit every level.

Except both halves are very weak. The RTS taken by itself is generic and has very little depth. The RPG half is a bit better than WC3 IMO but compared to a "normal" RPG game it's still extremely weak.

Just more retarded faggots talking past themselves nothing to see here

Spellforce 3 is actually just going to be one huge open world type deal.

I played the first one a long time ago, but never finished it.

Did I miss out on a lot?

Yes

The first game really shines after the first third, it becomes some heroes of annihilated empires-tier shit with your hero having to solo hordes of niggers

That sucks, an RTS/RPG actually sounds like something I've been wanting to play lately. I haven't really played RTS's much, but the micro characters in dota made me want to check them out.

Does that mean they're just extra

You get your ass raped in the entire start if you don't use your allies.

Well that sounds interesting.
I know there's also at least one expansion. Should I play that too?

I only ever played spellforce 1 with the works so yes

So will it be more like 1 or 2?

First one was great, but the second one was fucking trash no matter how many times I tried to get into it

What's this series is about?

I don't even remember spellforce 2, what did it do so wrong?

Where do i start spellforce series? Is 2 worse than 1?
I like to get into it.

A rts/rpg hybrid. You played as one or several hero units that you could level, but also play an RTS. Some levels were purely RPG, others were RTS focused

Yes

It was a while since I played it, but IIRC it had a gameplay of an extremely generic, uninspired RTS, AI was pretty trash, and writing was absolutely abysmal

don't play spellforce 2 unless you want to play wc3clone 2000

spellforce 1 is an actual good rpg with rts parts added game that stands on its own merit

what, nobody erroneously calling spellforce an assfaggots?

What? Spellforce is rpg/rts hybrid where you control hero and bunch of units, and even build buildings.

In assfaggots you lose all rts elements except for one hero.

Although i understand your fear that Spellforce 3 might become an assfaggots

It probably will be since it's spellforce 2's joke of a squad and le moba rts is hot hot hot

I have hope they will just rejigger spellforce 1 with that heroes of annihilated empires feel because we need a fun crunch rpg/rts to play again, everything is so soft and fluffy with HP sponge enemies everywhere

I know some of you love Dawn of War 2, but for me it was butchery of the series. It will probably be something like that. No buildings, few units, maximum amount of macro management time for noobs to control few units.

But HoAE just resulted in doing everything with your ridiculously overpowered hero unit

im not saying it is. but it seems like some people enjoy coming into rts threads and throwing the term at random games that have rpg elements or hero units.

i dont know enough about spellforce 3 to make that assumption. i assume its going to be very similar to the prior 2 games but prettier and with a few tweaks that might drive away some fans of the older games but most wont really mind.

Hoae for all its flaws is an extremely good rts, and spellforce just felt to me like a better balanced/more content version

Trailer doesn't even give any fantasy feel to it, to be honest. Recently all studios are trying to butcher fantasy from fantasy video games.

They seem like they intend to make a game set in the middle ages, but want to reserve the right to include magic

Gameplay actually exists. And its shit.

Okay, its not shit, i spoke too soon. Buildings are still there, thank god.

Shit how? It looks just like spellforce 1.

No faggot dota-like UI, no cartoon graphics and look to everything.

These stupid fucks may have realized nobody likes how spellforce 2 was done

I said i spoke too soon.

There's actually lots of recorded gameplay from Gamescom 2016, and nobody gives a shit about it.

get gud, the main things I see here are shitty pathfinding, being way too far zoomed in and no overworld teleporting so far, but I'm almost sure they'll have that added

Have to see how the cities and npc/shops and your ally heroes look to see if it's niggerized but there may be alot more going on here than was in spellforce 2, which is a good base to start.

I want fucking skill trees and A SPELLBOOK NIGGER NOT THREE END-LINE SPELLS

Stat/character page looks like spellforce 2, my main worry now is the character progression will be puddle deep like spellforce 2 instead of like spellforce 1 with more options

maybe so but it had the frame of a fun game i think. it just turns out it was balanced poorly. if thats actually true i mean. i didnt notice, but i only played through the campaign and a few skirmishes.

it doesnt give me much of an anything feel.
how recently have you been noticing this trend? i suppose fantasy as a theme is somewhat less popular these days. i think its just a fad.

the page probably just didnt refresh for him before he hit reply. but thank you for sharing these videos

Here's a segment from the campaign, they talk about character progression here, and ability combos.

Just fuck my series up fam

It's THQ Nordic, that's not what they do. They haven't been aiming for "what's popular" AT ALL so far. Their quality might be spotty but they've been staying true to the old game's genres and audiences, aiming to pick up the niche audiences that've been left behind rather than jump on the next big thing.

What are you talking about, I'm seeing 4 end abilities in the "fighter" class alone. I expect at least 3 different classes (and they talk about hybridizing them), which should mean at least 12 different top-tier spells.

No, you millennial dipshit, it's noting like WC3.

The dozens of varieties of spells/skills/etc available via either drops or going to specific places and searching for them or doing certain quests is one of the reasons why spellforce is a great game, you stupid fuck

meant for

The entire tree looks like active spells though, which means you have your "dozens" of spells anyway. So a dozen top-tier spells and about 50 more mid-low tier spells which will probably be the ones you actually use.

Gee, that's the same bullshit mealy mouth reasoning they used when they "streamlined" the game and made it that way for spellforce 2.

You don't understand what makes spellforce spellforce, I get it, but fuck off m8

Also, daily reminder, Battleforge was the last game that the Spellforce devs released before the EA devil killed them.

F

Oh man. I actually got really interested in that game from watching vid-related. I guess I'll pick up spellforce.

what caused "f to pay respects" to have a resurgence in popularity?

Just depends if one random person remembers it. I saw it on Holla Forums a few times over the last year.

It becoming a legitimate meme on cuckch?

It was hilariously abused in the livestream chats whenever some person offered his condolences to the Orlando gay shooting during the E3 2016 presentations.

Spellforce 1 was GOAT. Spellforce 2 was good too, but not as good as 1.
Really hyped about this one.
Also, goat video game cover

No kidding, I downloaded spellforce again just because of the news

It's like the setting for your average hentai storyline or something.

spellforce has some seriously lewd art

Spellforce 2 as well, with the exception of Demons of the Past.

I liked Spellforce 1 a lot Have it, too. Should play again but I usually ended up cheating like mad halfway through because building a base for two hours while a handful of trashmobs and your avatar feld of all patrols isn't exciting if it happens every goddamm map.
Also, fuck that shopping town wich is entirely dark every time I go there. Mapreveal 100% of the time, that shit sucks.
tryting to get iron with elves is horrible, too

Spellforce 2 dumbed the faction system down too hard. Also the art looked like Micky Mouse would jump out of your main building at any moment. Story was neat though and I loved the magic staffs wich prevented your mages from running into the freakin frontline because in SP1 they were meele weapons.
Still, I'm excited to see what 3 will bring.
According to , it at least looks more like 1 than 2 wich is good

still has the fucked up le skill tree xD system and kept the "streamlining" that made spellforce 2 a shitty slog, but we'll see how it works

If le skill tree isn't augmented by runes I will not even pirate it.

Those were my biggest issues with it as well. Map reveal and the constant build up just for a single map, then go to the next one. It made it a bit of a slog.

Thus the cheats.
What also bugged me was the part in the first campain where you have to give some shards to some guardian who reveales himself to be a bandit trolling you. Exept an elite guard of said bandits is standing right behind him the entire time and yet you can't shove a fireball up his ass before he goes hostile
I played as a mentalist last time though. Shit's cash. Never tried lancer.

If the game is currently "coming soon", how look do y'all think it will be before it finally comes out?

The new one will be only strunk womyn in burkas, right?

3 is going to have one massive overworld apparently. I actually don't know any other RTS that does that.

I have only played the second one.
It didn't seem that bad to be honest.
Do people think it's bad on it's own, or just a bad sequel (the first one was better)?
If so, how so?

Wew, thought I was the only one who played it.
I got kinda upset that the only campaign is the elf-faggot. The game has a Necromancer faction, for fuck sake, how hard would it be to make a simple "kill all things, reanimate them and rape shit 24/7" campaign. It even sets up nicely as an intro to the elfaggot.

Like it said, it has a lot of aspects where is was just straight up worse than SP1. The art being the one that quickly got the most annoying, but they seemingly went back to what worked the first time.
SP1 also had a spell system where you actually had to find or buy all spells (warrior abilities were given automaticly at the ranks that unlocked them), meaning that you may not have everything you could have, stat-wise.
Also, in SP2 I hope I remember this correctly, there's two factions, three with the dragonfuckers in the expansion.
Light: Humans, Treehuggers, Dwarfs
Dark: Dark Elfes, Trolls, Ork
But they're all one population, so to speek. You always play either set of three and two of the races are just upgrades with two or three unique units.

SP1 had the same sides, minus the dragonfuckers, but threre were all unique factions with their own monuments acting as main pices of bases, all unique buildings with some having buildings others simply didn't elves could get berries, only humans and orks could fish ect. not every race used every resource **drawfs didn't ever use wood, trolls ignored magical resources ect.*. Every race had their own titan aswell. All had strenghts and weaknesses, like the elves sucking in meele, orks lacking ranged physical damage, dwarfs having zero range untill you got one upgrade wich gives a single unit some short range…
However, assuming the map gave you several monuments, the same side would share population, you only have a total res storage (allowing you to combine things like evles supplying humans with wood or drawfs supplying elves wich iron) and you could focus on building only the strong units of either race.
I even remember a map that gave you both elves and orks. They'd actually attack if you put them next to each other, the trick was to throw in one army and then follow up with the next.
SP2 just dumped all of that down by unholy amounts.

Ah, I see.
I don't mind removing the "elf atacks orc" thing though. It does seem fun on one hand, but on the other, that sounds like a lot of micromanaging.
The only way for that to be worth it would be for the elf-orc mix of armies to actually give you some amazing advantage.
I assume you could position elfs on a flank to use ranged atacks and charge in with the orcs to get some very good meatshields paired with sharpshooters, but once the enemy was down, they'd turn on each other.
The rest does sound pretty good though.
SF2 still is pretty fun to me, and I guess not having played SF1 before doesn't make me puke my eyes out with the artstyle. I like how goofy it is, but I can imagine fans of the first getting upset.

This got me to thinking about something though: RTS+RPG hybrids were once a thing.
Heroes of Anihilated Empires, Spellforce and Warcraft being the main examples, but I got some shovelware-tier games around that aproached the same concept (half of them are russian).
Why did this died out? It seems like the perfect thing: the RTS part gives context to the questing and adventuring.
If SF3 goes with the "massive open world" and you can build shit and bases anywhere, you could have the building of bases or reclamation of wild lands be a quest by itself.

Out of all the weird genre mashups, RTS+RPG seemed the most promising.
Why did it die?
And why did FPS+RPG take over?

It may have been the most fun for people like us, but normalfags don't like RTS, so its not profitable.

Well, seeing as I've not actually played SF1 (I thought I had, but it was two different SF2 games) I'm about to now. Any recommendation on class/spec? I like mages but I'm thinking maybe leave that to allies. I'd also like a hero that can actually destroy buildings because that was always an issue in 2.

I'm a bit blurry on SF1 but I remember certain maps being hell for a melee character. Also fucking elves and freeze arrows.

So, going with the trend, the third one will be even more disappointing.

Also any one race had a quirk not shared with any other one: dwarves gained experience in combat for five levels max (iirc), dark elves raised enemy units killed at night as allied skeletons, orcs with little health left fled from the battlefield and trolls below half health flew into rage. I don't remember what was with humans and elves though.

I finished it with a heavily armored elementalist with ice and earth magic for crowd control.

Enemy AI, if they had enough units, had a habit of switching those in front of a melee opponent when they were injured with fresh ones from the rear ranks. That was infuriating for a pure melee character, because he would be swamped with them and held in place unable to kill any enemy unit and being slowly drained of health till his death.

The expansion had a new unit type for each race specialized in destroying buildings.

The lore was that humans, elves and dwarves on one side and orcs, trolls and dark elves on the other one didn't mind mingling with each other because their deities were allied too, but opposing the other side. It wasn't just an elves-against-orcs issue.

Watch the intro. Does it look like the setting for a hentai?

With its pisspoor AI that flooded you with a mob of identical units with zero coordination for their attacks? No subtlety, no tactics, nothing but lemmings running in straight line at the enemy.

I liked the first one a lot (surprisingly, I thought it would be shit). The sequel WAS shit, there's no hope for this one.

Kek, also it's a prequel, no thanks.

At least it makes sense. Convocation caused the world to fall apart into pieces that were later joined with teleport gates. For a big single open world you need to make a prequel, if you want to avoid raping the lore.

Anything can be the setting for a hentai. Given how Kuroinu's world works, yeah, this could totally work as a hentai. You've got the opposing factions, a brief mention of bondage, orcs vs humans, and a fight between two mages. All you'd need to change in the opening would be add in a bunch more women, remove some of their armour, and have the white mage be a woman. Basically, more tits.

From that perspective, sure, I just hate prequels in general, to me they scream lazy writing and re-used characters far more than sequels. Sequels will have some stuff from the original that naturally changes from the previous game and some new stuff, in a prequel we already know how everything ends and it will be 90% REMEMBER THIS OLD BAD/GOOD GUY FROM THE FUTURE NOW HES A YOUNG GOOD/BAD GUY IN THE PAST IN THE SAME PLACE HOLY SHIT ITS SO CLEVER.

Its german, germans love generic fantasy.
They also love the "its less fantastic so its more realistic" GoT style "fantasy".

The most popular German fantasy series is about Tolkien Dwarves, should tell you all you need to know.

literaly the 3 most boring factions from the old games. Why not Dark Elves? Why not Trolls?
Why no character creation?

Some of the things like the worker management sound good but the overall tone of the game is meh.

Nigger, you've got dragons up the ass, astral ancient islands and mass produced rune warriors. You've got demons, animu mecha tier golems AND straight up weeb shinigami. In addition to sentient, extradimensional shadows and some of the independent creatures being plain weird.

Spellforce is a lot of things but generic low magic it's not. And no you double nigger, the best established pnp in krautland is the dark eye which unlike dnd generally doesn't cater to those triggered by white men or non"casual"friendly systems.

It's a book, so what? I'll bet harry potter outsold it in both kraut and burgerland, want to shit on everything fantasy because of that?
Also what about goddamn salvatore fucking up a whole generation of dnd with literal snowflake characters?

They have been buying old IPs and upgrading them to HD editions for free and I think they are going to release new games from those IPs, so lets hope they actually make fun games

Been playing Spellforce 1. So far it's worse than 2 in pretty much every way. Having the races each as their own complete faction just leads to a lot of repetition. The rune-based heroes just suck outright and the spellbook system really doesn't add anything at all, least of all spells.

Yeah all those things happened in the original two games.

This however reeks of typical teutonic genericdom.
And the Dwarves is just a perfect example of why german fantasy is extremley generic, especialy when there is *good* german fantasy but it isnt considered fantasy and thus doesnt advance the genre. Look at Walter Moers as to Kraut Fantasy done right.

Not really sure what to expect in terms of quality. The quality of the company so far tells me they won't do anything deliberately horrible, but I'm not really sure what their best efforts will get either.

Anything's possible when krauts try to improvise. I mean look at what the fuck happened to the Risen series.

But that is lewd !

Sounds interesting, I wonder why I haven't heard of this series before. Downloading the first one.

It is kind of clunky, and it didn't have the kind of money, name and advertising budget to get the kind of attention other companies might give it. It is good, though.

When do you all think it will be coming out? Do games labeled as "coming soon" on steam actually come soon?

Funny to read that when the main story twist in the original game was basically
REMEMBER THIS OLD GOOD GUY FROM THE FUTURE NOW HES A YOUNG BAD GUY IN THE PAST IN THE SAME PLACE HOLY SHIT ITS SO CLEVER (with a bit of time travel thrown in)

Fuck, there's a game I haven't thought of for awhile.
I didn't even know there was a sequel.

Are you talking about the game, also by THQ Nordic, "The Dwarves", or something else that it may or may not be based on?

He is

This is bait

How's it feel to know hoae was originally planned to be much longer with multiple campaigns and even a time portal where the necromancer+elf would get thrown into modern day cold war gone hot scenario with mechs

The game was kind of lacking. The map and text-adventure style decisions were alright but the rest of the gameplay was really weak. The setting though I thought was just fine, other than being named "belt buckle".

Order of Dawn was best spellforce, haven't really liked the rest of the series.

Isn't THQ Nordic really based?

So I've been told

That's putting it lightly considering you don't even get to find out what happened to half the characters in the end. A shame, really.

It was also horribly predictable. The most surprising thing that happened IMO is the fact that the useful brother DIDN'T die he was just gravely wounded and taken out of your party for the rest of the game

They are based, or at least trying to be, but that doesn't make them good at making games unfortunately. If The Dwarves is anything to go by Spellforce 3 will be a disappointment, but at least it won't be a microtransaction ridden DLC fest that forgets its target audience in order to go after the DOTA crowd.

Again, putting it lightly. The game loses any will to provide context after the femdorf kingdom.

I wonder if the AI kingdoms (if there are any) will fight each other along with the player's faction. if they do I think I'll cum buckets.

I know, I know now they're going to do it again, just without time travel

Piece of advice, if you are going to play Spellforce, ESPECIALLY spellforce 1, I STRONGLY recommend speed hacks. Built in feature on cheat engine, just load the process and toggle it on. Set some hotkeys so you can adjust the speed in game.

Spellforce is slow as fuck so running the game at 2x-10x speed just so you don't have to wait to walk across the map saves a bunch of time.

I hear you might be able to play as a non-human hero this time around. I hope so.

Or you can switch to TPP view, listen to the soundtrack leisurely and admire the scenery on the way.

Does 1 get harder? I just got past the elf archers and am now in leafshade. I'm fighting orcs now, but the game gave me forever to bulk up my army. I Just had my hero camp the entrance and kill their scouts, while I built up my army. Then on I just took my 10 paladins, 20 marksmen and 10 footmen and just cleared everything out pretty easily. I just put up crossbow towers + 10 marksmen at every chokepoint when I wanted to detour and it made tons of space. I basically walled the last camp (with the archer towers) into their base with a whitehand and crossbow towers.

Yeah I'm playing on high difficulty.

Dude you can teleport across the map with bindstones.

Not really. Unless you fuck up big time losing a map completely (as in your camp and bindstones get overrun) doesn't really happen. Enemy camps will get harder and require multiple waves of attacks and remaking your army, some side quests get harder (sometimes much harder than the main quest) but it's not really a hard game in the way that you're in danger of losing a map if you're even moderately competent at RTS.

The only thing I'm really having trouble with is keeping my mages alive, because they rush in when they're out of mana and the enemy casters focus them so they get 3 nukes killing them instantly. They almost seem like traps honestly. 100 aria for the one, and a 600 aria upgrade that I haven't seen the effects of.

You can only teleport your Avatar, and even then it's frequently a long way to the nearest stone.

When you need to send an army, or even just your heroes, sometimes it can be a 5-10 minute walk. It adds up to a LOT of time over the course of the game. Not to mention there's plenty of time you are just building or waiting for resources to come in and playing at 2x or 3x speed won't really hurt your macro.

Some maps are definitely more difficult than others, but that's not linear.

For a second I thought it was a spinoff to Shining Force or something. Don't get my hopes up.

Gz, you figured out the basic strategy for most maps.
Soem maps simply require diffrent strategies, but "build up a max army and roflstomp everything, repeat if it fails" usually works.
Unless the game is throwing some enemies four times your level at you, in that case you usually need to be sneaky or you're looking at a side quest for later.

It's fun killing things meant for armies with just your main hero. I've been playing a necromancer, so I can either use summoned minions and take a stand up fight where I just summon more as they die, or I can cast Pestilence on everything and run away (pestilence does slowly increasing damage until the target dies or is cured, most enemies can't cure it, bosses are immune though).

Of course the reason for this is the fact that spawners don't normally activate until you take a monument. If you can go through and kills some bases before starting to tech up then you buy yourself more time to get ready. Downside is it ironically means less XP for your hero, since you won't be slaughtering the hordes of enemies crashing into your tower defenses.

Spellforce 1 is actually pretty fucking fun. I just bought it like 3-4 days ago and already sunk 29 hours into it. Are there any other games like this? I think the part that appeals to me the most is the fact it reminds me a LOT of neverwinter nights from its graphics, quest setups, and a lot of sound effects. So it's triggering some nostalgia somehow. The only thing I'm disappointed in is there isn't much micro. I really was hoping for something like chen from dota where you actually have to pay a ton of attention to what spells you're casting with your minions. 4 minions where you either need to chainstun with 2 of them and nuke with another 2, or save that ones stun because it can go through magic immunity.

4 minions + the hero

Yes! I liked this series. However I don't buy video games and these fags are well known for their intrusive DRM so they will probably use denuvo

This is where pirate fags get all their flack from.

THIS.

Spellforce 1 was the best

Any unit list infos?

I want the classis SF1 units back.
No elven arches or paladins = no buy

IIRC, humans had paladins with burning swords for much Deus Vulting

No, but the add-ons are just as long as the main game, so you will spend a lot of time with this game.
The first add-on is a new story with a new hero. It add lots of new equipment, mixed spells and armor sets.
The second add-on continues the story of the main game, but the hero of the first add-on also plays a role. It's not as long as the other two campaigns, but you can import both heroes. When you import the hero of the first add-on the story will be slightly different. This add-on raises the max level of the heroes from 30 to 50 and the max level of abilities from 12 to 20.

Euronigger bargain bin series through and through, like sacred or eador or bound by flame or two worlds, or…

I feel like a studio should have to earn a license or something before you're allowed to make fantasy games.

So what? It's not what I had in mind - not a feature of a whole human faction, unlike with other factions I mentioned.

No they aren't. In fact THQ Nordic has been releasing their games DRM free (GOG). They completely own the studio making this and DRM is a publisher choice anyway.

I just got to the Whisper and never realized that. Not that it would have helped because my dwarves where just cannon fodder.

I've found the best solution for keeping units alive is massed elven druids. Get 20-30 of those and your army is basically invincible.

It only works on the levels where you have elves and dwarves.

Just elves works too. A wall of druids holding enemies away from windarchers works too, otherwise just go white mage and be the wall yourself.

Dwarves had some priests with healing as a combat ability, and not based on mana reserves, so that had a cooldown too long for being really useful.

Druids work so well because their heal is the healing aura, so it casts really quickly for relatively little mana. Get a good number of them and the relatively small amount of health each aura bolt heals is enough when there's 10-20 hitting each damaged unit the instant they get hurt. They can also use it when they're pretty much out of mana, but at that point the fight's probably over anyway.

Untill you realize you're playing elves and those druids pretend to be your frontline.
Goddamm if I could mod I'd probably try to get SP2's spell staffs into SP1 just to prevent that shit.

The more I play spellforce 1 the more I love it.

When I first played it I thought you could just spam the same strategy for each map and cheese it to win. Then they just have to tweak 1 thing to change up the strategy completely, and the level feels completely different than the last level you just played. Some of these things kinda felt core to the game, like you could rely on them and then they're puled out from under your feet
>Oh you are use to having all your resources in your base? Lets put the one resource you NEED TO MAKE TROOPS with outside of where the natural walls are. Remember, if the enemy sees you we'll zerg your ass till theres nothing left

This is the only game that's not multiplayer where every fight feels like a huge uphill battle where you're overthrowing a stronger force.

I also had a pretty awesome moment as a necromancer
>Decide to delete them all because this game lags like fuck through wine when theres too many units

Right as soon as I post this I hit the medusa level.

Gather near gargoyles, send a sacrifice to a medusa, kill gargoyles, repeat until medusa doesn't have gargoyles, kill medusa.

I'm so far in that I don't think it's worth the grind. What I did is just run through the level with only my hero and spam pestilence on all the creeps while avoiding medusa. Then there where no creeps and it's pretty easy to navigate now.

Thats not always the case. Sometimes the third game is a return to form.

Hmm… from my experience Germans tend to be pretty good at making games despite being a country full of cucks. We'll see.

Just micro them a little but. H key is hold position, so just move them up to between your ranged and your melee and tell them to stay there. Of course the original suggestion was to use the druids as melee and just have so many of them they heal through all damage, but I find they get spiked down too much for that.

It's better than the Dark races anyway, orcs and trolls don't have healers at all, not sure about dark elves. I think this is the main reason I've never finished a Spellforce game, the Dark races suck and halfway through you are forced to use only them, so I stop.

When I got to that level I was to weak to fight a medusa solo. I was able to get one relatively isolated, but I couldn't even take it below half HP. Came back after I did farlons hope and was just barely able to take them down.

Despite the decline in quality and population I love this fucking board.

Wish I knew this shit. I read every bit of the tutorial to.

I probably spent a total of 10 minutes in load times with nothing to stare at but that first picture, and all I can think of is how bad of a case of man-ass that girl has.

WHERE SHALL I SEND THESE FLYING BEASTS?

Never played Spellforce 2 in coop, does the coop campaign make it worth the time?

Sometimes you just have to try the obvious.

No clue. We could try, exept I seem to have bought a physical copy back then and that was another pc, aka I'd have to pirate or buy, not like I don't have the cash to try it.
Actually, how does coop campain work? I can get the idea of two heros, one of wich the story entirely ignores, but what about bases and armies?

There's two hero monuments on that level, just fill up with them. Get a decent set of heroes and they can take down a medusa themselves.

When I meant solo I meant THE MEDUSA was solo, as in with no gargoyles/demons around. I just couldn't penetrate their defenses and they did massive damage at like 80 per shot, on top of petrifying half my party.

I leveled up a bit in farlons hope, finished the earthblade quest, and found at least one better hero rune and with all of that I was able to kill them, but still not without casualties.

It's been a very long time since I played and beat Spellforce 1, I really liked the game, but I remember that there were two problems I had with it. First was the enemy was a cheating bastard, his resources never run out and sends scouts and raiding party ad infinitum with progressively more units. Second, you could cheat yourself by not building a base, hence the enemy would never send scouts and raiding parties and that way you could slowly whittle down the enemy units bit by bit.

I loved the game, but that shit annoyed me.

The AI doesn't even mine resources, it just spawns scouts and attackers periodically. At least they don't pretend like in other RTS when they have infinite money but mine anyway.

I didn't think it was even in the game. I don't play much RTS' so I didn't know hold was a common keybind.

You're definitely playing a different game than the AI. Context wise though the game doesn't show any of this as a straight battle. 90% of the fights I've had in the story where portrayed as uphills battles.

Honestly I think this approach works for Spellforce, because rather than simulate 1v1s or 1v2s it just throws you in a situation like any other game and has you deal with it. Any game with AI that isn't strategy based has cheating AI and nobody really complains there. Plus, it's not like the AI doesn't have heavy handed cons to balance things out.

meant for

Messed up one of the replys

How's the coop in spellforce and spellforce 2?

True, it is annoying how you can exploit it, though. It would be better if they started gathering after scouts started disappearing and/or reporting back. They also always note the rune as basically a tide of soldiers destroying things in its path, and you aren't really sending out a tide. Then again, a rune army controlled by a rune soldier, freed or not, might be a lot weaker than one controlled by a proper wizard.

Does an army of totems work on the rift? I took 5 shots at beating it now, each time I just reloaded the save before I entered the portal the first time. I usually forget to get to get the 11 orc from the shop, although I had one run with them and it basically played out the same way.

My first push I can get to the end but the last group of enemies stops it. Then I can't get my second push out of the base because by now the demons are spamming waves of 5 or so at a time ontop of respawning all the non-boss enemies. My strategy was build up my army as fast as possible to 50, use manatap and lifedrain aura to tank the enemy while my army wrecks them. I even got to the end but the boss 2 shots me and my base is basically walled off.

Just wanna report back. The toten army was probably the most fun I had in this game. Imagine having 40 soldiers all rev up their spell at the same time, and then do an explosion of magic on one enemy being so loud it clips the sound and theres nothing left when it's done.

I literally could not win that mission legit. I managed to get through with something similar, but the return trip was impossible. Then I realized I could just teleport out and come in the portal and the invincible npc would walk to me eventually.

Yeah. It's garbage. I didn't have any fun at all when I played it. Man, after that giant uphill battle level, the medusa level, and this it seems like the games starting to go to shit. Only thing keeping me going is I want to see how the dark elves playout.

That's what I'm saying. Spellforce games always go to shit when they give you the dark races because they all fucking suck. I guess it might be their intended difficulty curve taking effect but really they should make them actually work in some way.

If the dark elves suck I'm gunna be really fucking pissed. I haven't had a game where I juts sat down and played it for 3-4 days straight in years. The last time this happened in recent memory was my first playthrough of stalker.

They suck. Maybe not quite as badly as orcs, but still no healers and only casters for ranged.

I swear from now on all of my characters are going to take white magjc. When I do the expansion I think I'll make a "paladin" (heavy combat+healing)

Honestly, that was only part of my issue with that particular level. Even if I had dwarves or humans, I would have had difficulties there because of the way the resources are set up, and the fact that up until then I got used to cheesing enemy bases by abusing them not spawning armies until you started building up.

Did you even play SpellForce 1? It's nothing like WC3.
SpellForce 2 is a fucking WC3 clone.

I always want to replay SpellForce until I remember the Undead maps.

Honestly. After playing the ice elf map, it's not really that the dark races suck. Because I fucking stomped the shit out of the ice elves like there was no tomorrow. It's that the map is awfully designed. Resources in akward spots, next to no trees, on the the demon level they are 2x the level of your units with aoe attacks.

Idk what you're talking about. The undead maps where fun as fuck. It's immediately after that the game goes downhill.

The last undead map was not fun at all.

Just finished that one. Dear god it sucked so hard. Ironic how the boss demon is the easiest part. Also I'm a mind mage and simply dominated the higher demons, but the ones who summon fire elementals still sommon them as hostile so the sommon, kill it, summon…

You could coop the place if you used free play maps instead of the story, wich are the same thing basicly.

The Dark races have few archers and no healers. They rely on casters for ranged damage who have to contend with especially high resistances, then they run out of mana and melee which just gets them killed.

No healers though is the really bad thing. Since fights are always an uphill battle if you don't have healers you lose to attrition, then you run out of time and resources both.

I don't think the throwers or hurlers for the trolls use mana. At least I've never seen them run out. The no healers thing really fucks them though. From what I've seen the dark races are suppose to deathball. Just get your army up as fast as you can and destroy the enemy base. It's clear the enemy base is also slowly getting stronger as time goes on.

I really liked it. Just had 5 defenders and 5 battlepriests defend my base while I ran around and wrecked everything. I also used 4 destroyers to take down the enemy spawns basically instantly. The destroyers really are the core part of the dwarves it seems. I never got militia or watchmen though, they're traps. The level immediately after was when I started to get annoyed.

I went necromancer and mindmagic, and my skills where useless minus lifesteal for tanking. Idk what the fuck they where thinking when they made that level.

Nope, they are akin to archers. Trolls in general don't even use any magic resource.

For Orcs I found that just spamming Totems is a valid strategy as they are cheap, quickly made and a massive Painstorm followed by their medicore meele skills deal with most things not immune to dark magic.

Well I was level 10 mindmagic so my skills had great effect. Goring for lancer in the expansions though, simply because I've never done it and it's supposed to be quite interesting

That's why I said "few", the hurlers/throwers are all they have, and they are expensive as fuck both in resources and time to produce.

Dark elves have expendable summons instead, mostly with necromancers, deathknights(?) and havocs, and generally units with powerful ranged magical attacks that kill most opponents even before entering the melee range. Their other units can kill an enemy unit in critical condition when dying themselves (the cheapest melee unit, assassin) or be reborn as great spiders after death (warlocks). And they have two types of defensive towers, one pretty standard, dealing black magic damage and another entrancing enemy units like human enchanter mages. It's not that bad overall, even without healing.
spellforce.wikia.com/wiki/Units

At some maps you aren't supposed to wipe out the enemy, but sneak or fight your way through them to advance. I remember the map with humanlike giants with flayed skin as the most vexing, personally.

I think by far the worst thing about this game is how they will sometimes hide the plans around the map so it's possible to miss them. They should have done something like you just unlock the buildings earlier if you find them off the beaten path, rather than missing them all together. Every time I'm about to leave a level I just look up a list of where all the plans are to make sure I didn't miss them.

I forgot about that. I remember when I first started, I wondered why the game would have vendors selling the plans. Then I started finding them in random chests that are easily missed.

I didn't even know they sold the plans. The only one I bought was the grainfarm and I thought it was extra. I pretty much ignored all shops in this game.

Just finished the first game. Still thinking spellforce 2 is better for the ability to customize heroes especially.

I'm on that map right now and it's absolutely terrible. The worst part is their camps have some of the plans.

I don't remember giants with flayed skin at all, just regular hill giants. What's the name of that map?

Unless it's in the expansion. I kinda assumed he was talking about the tiger giants in the last few levels. I just beat that level and it was fucking aids.

Nope. It's in the Breath of Winter iirc.

Well at least there is a failsafe for missing the plans

Finally beat 1. Idk why they decided to make the last few levels so fucking tilted against you that you're just forced to turtle all game. It really made the game go from 10 to 5. I liked the time loop ending they had

Then you have finished roughly one third of the game. Congrats.

Do they make the dark maps completely unbelievably lopsided in the expansions to? I mean, yeah, all the maps are one sided against you, but that shit is not even fun.

I got up to the one with the treant, dark elves, and catmen all over the fucking place. They ended up doing nothing but spawning units until there's like 30 of them near their spawn points and wreck any dark elf army I bring near them. Regular elves would be able to wreck them simply because of druids, but these useless fuckers only have deathknights that have their aura resisted every single time.

The normal elves would have been shredded even faster, trust me you play them again in the level immediately after. They can't even hold their own against the blades.. Heals don't matter when your units get 2 shotted, and the later dark elves get really strong because 2 units have life after death and tons of lifesteal and tons of broken on hit abilities

That level is forced-rpg bullshit. Actually theres a lot of bullshit in that level. You need your base to distract the cats while you run up to the tree, take his gem, and lure him into the southwest corner of the map with all the blades so he destroys everything. Also they hid level 15 human, dwarf, and elf runes in the cat bases but I couldn't even raid 1 of the 2 spawn bases successfully and chipping away at them doesn't work when the AI gets stronger overtime, and your resources get thinner.

It is fun when you revisit them five levels of experience later.

Or you can just complete the entire map without ever activating the monument. They don't respawn that way so you can just chip away with your hero. It's still bullshit.

I just wanna know what the fuck they where thinking

Trying the first expansion with a healing/enchantment character, but since I can only apparently dominate 2 characters at a time I'm pretty sure I made a mistake and should try something else.

Combining magic with melee, ESPECIALLY any magic that relies on Charisma (eg healing and enchantment), doesn't seem very viable because of Multiple Attribute Dependency.

Any advice? I always missed not having any healing on my pure black mage character but now that I have it it doesn't really feel all that helpful.

I think having a priest hero is usually enough healing. The later ones usually have a healing aura aswell.
I can dominate 4 enemies easily, though that eats up most of my mana regeneration. A max mana pool isn't that important for a mind mage with mana tap anway.

Running Mind/White doesnt leave room for defensive/offensive mind spells. I can maybe keep White at a low-ish level though. With high charisma a level 5 heal should be plenty to get the job done, no need to take it all the way to 12.

As far as heroes, levels with hero monuments are few and far between and later in the game they pretty much completely replace armies. Either you get heroes OR armies, not both, and frankly you don't need both anyway.. Having your avatar as something that can support an army effectively seems like a very good idea.

Also healing aura is SHIT. Eats all your mana, doesn't actually heal who you need to or worth a damn. It's good for passive healing when you can't afford to micro heal casts but at far too high a cost.

Another thing I hate about spellforce 1 (I don't even know if spellforce 2 has them at all though) is that "Aura" spells are actually just auto-casts. An aura should automatically be effective on all nearby units for a flat cost, not something that casts itself at each unit one at a time for a cost each time.

I started the expansion with a boons character and it is not looking like it'll be anywhere near as much fun as pure black magic. I can't even get into the expansion. The last 1/4th of the main campaign put an awful taste in my mouth AND it starts you off with the fucking tiger enemies. Yeah they're significantly more fair, but I don't want to see that fucking model ever again.

Yeah but they linger for a LONG time. I know WC3 auras linger for .5, but in spellforce 1 it's gotta be like 30 seconds or something. You probably can't have multiple auras at a time because of this, they expect you to micro a little.

It's still better that a dozen priests casting the same healing spell at once at the same wounded unit automatically, overshotting the damage ten times its worth, while five other units perish, not being healed even once.

Of course. For regular units Healing Aura is a godsend. For heroes/avatars though who use manually targeted heals it's not worth the mana.

Does anyone have any speculations about the upcoming Spellforce? I'm pretty excited for it.

I'm looking at some random footage of people playing it at showcases and stuff. I hope it's more like the 1st ones main campaign, but it really doesn't look like it. Always small groups of soldiers, or the same army of horsemen vs army of foot soldiers in the middle of nowhere. I really hope they don't focus on RPG elements that much. I can't even stand the first expansion because it's just me running around with a small group of soldiers fighting shit and relying on my OP AI companions who 2 shot everyone but I can't control, as opposed to full out war.

I on the other hand greatly prefer the RPG side and hope they do focus on those elements. The RTS side is always horribly balanced and tedious as fuck.

Idk I always thought the RPG parts where dogshit. Maps are gigantic so it takes years to walk across unless you mod it. All the maps with forced RPG elements are absolutely nightmarish (rift, breahting forest). It also feels really stale considering it takes the dime-a-dozen RPG quests to.

>You heavily rely on Grim to kill things until you get your army
>I tried sneaking by and my NPC party companion THAT I CANT CONTROL IN A RTS just runs off and starts fighting the enemy base by himself

Yeah, no. The RPG parts of this game are absolute dogshit. The rift, the medusa's, and the majority of dark race levels in the main campaign sucked because they tried forcing RPG quests instead of just making it a straight RTS.

Yeah, I'd hope they improved on it, though, rather than backtracked. There are only a few games that go as far with mixing RPG and RTS, and honestly, it would be better if they figured out what went wrong and fixing it instead of just gutting one section. I am mostly concerned with hero building, however and there are other games that do it well.

Character building is fine. I just hate the backtracking and artificial crap like scripted base destruction.

I'll never know how normal elves or the last two dark elf units do. I soloed both the areas with my white mage with healing aura and aura of light. Didn't have any problems up until the ogres in the last section since the blades just died while I kited, and the gryphon group just couldn't kill me.

I think both aspects were mediocre but this is a rare case where meh RTS + meh RPG combine into a good game somehow.

Where were you when elves became Holla Forums

This is where I recommend speed hacks via cheat engine. Whether for moving your avatar, your heroes, or your entire army, or just waiting for shit to build or even just regenning mana it's a major time saver.

I hear the maps in 3 will be bigger than ever before.

If you watch the gameplay footage the units are slower to.

Well my Healer/dominator wasn't working for heart of winter, so I ended up restarting as a Thorn Knight. Thorn shield is kind of OP. It's fun to walk into an enemy camp solo and watch them all kill themselves.

I only regret not naming the character Kirk.

Seriously this thing is hitting for 18 unresistable damage for every attack I take at rank 5. Supposedly it scales with both strength and charisma in addition to spell rank (Rank>Strength>Charisma), wheras most offensive spells only scale with rank, so it should stay relevant as long as I keep up the right stats (Stamina>Strength>Charisma outside skill requirements).

That seems like a severe oversight, and is very unfortunate. I don't remember that spell/ability, though.

It's just a tank archtype that's viable when you are forced to solo, which is very often. It's also a very particular build that can't do much else than soak damage and hope the Thorns are enough.

Thorn Shield comes from white magic/Nature btw. Outside of that one spell it's literally the most useless school in the game, and on a mage-type character (one without the strength or stamina or armor) it's still worthless.

I know they force too much bullshit with the RPG half. I never bothered with white magic. If it works that differently from everything else, then that is kind of bull, but the game does force looking for stuff like that.

I still liked necromancy, but yeah, it wasn't that good as it was mostly chaff.