During the Medieval times, which system was better Merchant Republic, Nomadism or Feudalism?

During the Medieval times, which system was better Merchant Republic, Nomadism or Feudalism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_commune
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Commonwealth
myfarog.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Merchant republic.
t. Merchant

t. CK2 player

aren't merchant republics more of a modern age thing?

There were empires during the medival times in other parts of the world

Merchant republics were shit because of urban problems and feudalism was shit because of king problems.

"Merchant Republic", but ideally none of the above. A guild republic like Florence (which was actually a republic of guild artisans, not merchants.) for the cities and a peasant's republic like the rural Swiss cantons, Friesland, and Dithmarschen for the countryside. Higher forms of government would be confederations of those republics.

Honestly, not much different from what I would advocate for now a days. In fact, medieval republics tend to have more citizen participation, less centralized power, and direct democracy than modern parliamentary "republics", despite universal suffrage.

(Also, the Cossacks could be considered a nomadic republic, but they came a bit later than the Middle Ages.)

Also, medieval communal/city republics. (Venice, Florence, and the Imperial Free Cities were once those.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_commune

So for the city guildsman's republic, it would ideally be a bicameral republic with both a communal popular assembly and an assembly of the guilds.

old norse democracy/Althing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Commonwealth

This sort of thing makes my inner fa/tg/uy turgid, anybody know some dank RPG settings with this kind of stuff?

play my RPG
myfarog.org/

Actually, I was planning exactly that.

Shit thread tbh

Nomadism would be risky but much better when it worked out, I think. Settled Life used to fucking suck.

Nomadic cultures were, generally, like primitive tribal societies fairly non-hierarchical and can often be refered to as "primitive democracies".

They're sure as fuck way better that the mercantile republics and the feudal kingdoms in terms of individual liberties and the individuals ablity to affect the political process. I recommend you read Apo on this.

Mercantile republics were fine. The only people who actually lived in cities were artisans and merchants, both of whom owned property.

Also, most nomadic societies were dominated by tribal chiefs, who inherited their titles. Only the Cossacks actually had democracy for the average Cossack. (Khurls were councils of nomadic chiefs, not average nomads.)

Roman-style Centralized Empires.

Nomadism fucking sucked. Children matured early on, women were viewed like cattle, people ruthlessly murdered and raped each other, always on the move and searching for food.

Settled lifestyle allowed for childhood to persist longer, it decreased the gender binary since women also worked on the fields, it created comfortable homes, law protection, leisure time to have fun (create art), think and learn about the world, invent stuff and overall improved life quality.

How is that bad?
pretty comfy if you're a male
better than starving because you're latest harvest where shit

Just die.

post boobs

Should i pretend that nomadic life would "fuckin suck" for me because women wheren't threathed as equals?
wouldn't it be comfy for women if men where threathed as cattle?

This is worse than "MUH HORSERIDING NOMAD HURRITAGE" the turks pull.

no, actually it'd be pretty comfy for me if people viewed each other as people and we could chill and not depend on suffering

Obviously a Merchant Republic

Human cattle is literally my fetish so…

Merchant Republics were nice places to live, but they had a tendency to get pooped on by nation states

Not quite true.
Mongol Khandom was not inherited, rather they were elected by the riders of the tribe. Genkhis Khan was elected Great Khan or Khagan in such a way.

leader of peasant rebellion

storm cities and flay burghy, hang him up from the walls :)

Monastery. Study, maintain, and write books. Chant hymns and paint frescoes. Keep vineyards and pastures. Age cheese, pickles, beer, and wine. No money or private property, fellows drawn from all classes. Self-reliant and peaceful. Maintain the legacy of classical civilization while advancing intellectual inquiry, insulated from perpetual feudal war and exploitation by impenetrable wall of spooks.

Maximum comfy.

Frisian freedom