Has anyone ever played this game?

This game has always astounded me with its incredibly awkward design decisions. Mainly the magic system:

I just never got this. A lot of the cards do really cool things to that seem to have taken a lot of effort. Summoning familiars, giant fuck spells that damage everything on screen, become invincible but can't attack, turn into a spooky skeleton where you die in one hit but can spook your enemies to death. Even as a kid I use to find weird things in this game. Like the fact that it starts out all midieval, then the first enemy you encounter is skeletons throwing cartoon bombs at you. Although, I guess that's kinda typical for casltevania.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/677/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was a GBA launch title from a long standing and popular series, what do you fucking think?

But yeah, enjoyable, if weird game, helped by the back that there's backlit systems now to remove the visibility issues. Don't forget the extra modes too for NG+.

I did, the game feels like a hybrid of the classic castlevania games and the newer style that came with SoTN.

It always astounded me by how good it was. Forget Aria of Sorrow, this game was the real winner of the title of best GBA Metroidvania.

I didn't know it was a launch title. It always came off as one of the obscure entries that gets lost in the 100s of other entries in the series.

I have hardcore nastolgia for this one. I use to have Aria of Sorrow and want to replay it, but it's like 30-40 fucking dollars now.

I thought the same thing. I mean, yeah, there's equipment and shit to collect and upgrade, but the handling felt more in line with classic games, and it's certainly on the more difficult end of the Metroid-esque titles. Pretty sure it was made by a guest team too, which might explain some things (including how wishywashy Iga got over whether or not it was canon).

I still prefer Aria, but CotM was pretty good in its own right as well.

I saw a copy recently for $25 cart only. And I got my own cart a couple years back for $12 when the going price was averaging $30. Keep at it, and you might find one at a better price than you're currently seeing.

This
Cotm > Aria > others

And there are 10x10 dss cards OP. Tge top row of Action is rarer and spread across each area (eg Mercury in cata, Venus in outer wall) but you can get Attribute cards much faster if you know where to look, earning 1-2 per area.

Black dog and Unicorn are rare drops from the last room in the battle arena and theyre more cosmstic than anything. Aside from that you get all the cards in your ng+ anyways. The last two actiom cards pluto and Uranus only appear in backtracked boss rooms lategame

Yeah I kinda glossed over magician mode. I guess that's what the cards are mainly intended for. Still. There's no way you'll get more than half the cards outside of magician mode without having a walkthrough or something.

The only thing that sucked about this was the Dracula fight.

Nigga was laggin so hard he gave up his speed for power with elemental bats.

That final boss music though I'm 99% sure lyrics would be some orchestra play shit with a chorus going my proof o blood my proof of blood and now I'll show you why like it was some fuckin sing-along coming of age tier play.

That speedy dance of illusion tho, shit was prime

Is there any reason dawn of sorrow is cheaper than aria of sorrow? I remember aria had quirks, like some souls being straight upgrades. I also remember dawn being the more popular one.

Aria took place in Castlevania.
Dawn didn't but had better graphics and resused a multitude of old sprites or some shit, and probably lacked a good amount of detail in the weird ass cult depopulated village, it's odd.

That or the other playable character modes had something to do with it, IDK.

No, absolutely not
LURK MOAR

My personal favorite CV game. Top notch OST, pretty challenging, tons of different enemies, no merchant so you have to whip your gear out of enemies, all the extra modes are a lot of fun since the stat changes do make a difference (Fighter plowing the arena at Lv40 and Thief getting rare drops at first kill etc) and one of the best Carmilla and Dracula fights in the series.
Its limitations aside, my greatest complaint is the lack of a bestiary and a rather underwhelming Death battle.

It's the worst GBA castlevania and a terrible metroidvaina too. It have a cult because it was a launch title and for it's artificial difficulty. It was an early try for castlevania, so no shit it was shit. Don't get me wrong, it's only bad in comparison.
See this faggot

There's a double pack cart with CotM and HoD, it should be cheap.

kys

Again, Dawn was an experiment, a transition to a new device, so they half assed it. Reused stuff thanks to more power. If Dawn was released a couple of years later it could have a lot of cool stuff like OoT did.

Yeah the vast majority of its enemies are lifted straight from SOTN, sound effects and all. It was the same deal for Aria, really, but Aria didn't go as far as straight-up ripping sprites from a previous game. Giant CV3 reference with that game's Julius mode was fun but I wasn't a fan of Alucard also being a gigantic SOTN rip and how nerfed Julius was to accommodate making partners a necessity. Also no Grant equivalent, which Hammer was slated to be going by unused materials and dialogue.

I think the reason most people liked Dawn was because it gave us shitloads of classic covers, and not as many hit & miss tracks that started to appear more often in CV games around that stage.

Their bloody tears and Dance of illusions were pretty danm good.

CotM is excellent, way better made than the other metroidvanias. Controls better, is better designed and more difficult, and item limits and no merchant keep you from doing retarded shit with healing items. IGA is a hack who made the same game six, soon to be seven, times over.

I have, thanks for asking.

True, but as far as I'm aware if you have DoS, you can't use the save data from the dual pack to transfer.

Great game.
I prefer Aria of Sorrow, but great game

Aria > SOTN> OOE > COTM > Dawn > portrait of ruin

You're being a little edgy user. I agree with you with Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, but Order of Eclesia is an elaboration of previous titles. I rather have devs Elaborate on their work than "innovate" and try "new things" when the gameplay is already fucking great and expanding upon it makes it even better.

What would be more interesting as a mod?

On one hand you'd be gated to skill to progress in the first case, but on the other you could so low level runs with the second.

Either way with one of these systems in place, I think it would be cool to have redone card drops (some sooner or later) and balanced around clvl 10 as a cap. Classes would receive a significant stat growth overhaul tp make things interesting

I played it, I like Aria of Sorrow better.

The only reason Aria didn't rip the sprites is because the game boy limitations. At the time they still had the idea of making a carbon copy of SOTN and they still couldn't figure out what made SOTN so good, after the disaster that HoD was HoD only sin is that glowing aura in Juste, taking it out makes it look decent enough, here's a romhack for it; romhacking.net/hacks/677/
I really wish they made Hammer playable, though, he is really fun in that castlevania fighting game.
Also, PoR had some assets from SOTN too with the same mindset in mind, like The Richter battle

Nigger, that's the whole point of a serie if the thing is good enough. Wanting to change it is immediately an spin-off, which igavanias already are. You can argue that it's lazy, but it's what fans want And I sure as hell want another SOTN

I don't get the hate for PoR. The only bad thing about it is the anime portraits. OST is 9/10, and the setting is one of the best in castlevania. I will admit is a lot of wasted potential, but at least better than COTM and a little over Dawn, because Dawn was a tech demo. Not to mention the Richter fight

First one is pretty interesting. I hate level capping, but that level progression seems interesting.