So when you decide to play a game and you find out it has a remake which do you play? The original or the remake?

So when you decide to play a game and you find out it has a remake which do you play? The original or the remake?

I do some research beforehand and weigh out the pros and cons of the original and remake, though I usually end up playing the original.

,,  -―…、…―-      .. ― --、               /            ヽ  /      \       / ⌒ ヽ,, /              ̄ ● 〃 ―――-ミ     /   …-●               |   /●--       \    /⌒     ●    |  .ハ  |    :| :|     ';   /       /    /|  レ|  :!ハ  ナナメ_/|    !           ヽ   /      :/ /    | |__イ .!_ハ|  |__/  ≠=-!   :|           ハ  /        .i   .|_ノ  ≠=-      ハ_ノ}ハ   ./            /  !        ハ   〈 〃 ハ_ノ}      弋゚.ツ {_ハ          /  |          !ハ__;.!i .弋゚ツ        xxx./   |i   ヽ     ノ  |ヽ         /ハ ハ xxx     '      ∠__r.――――l^γ^r^!―──┐  八 \!        ハ___';     , ⌒ヽ    /|       し'し' し'       .     | /          ノ\     `---'   ,ノ  !                    V\      /     =-  __  イ    |  We already had         \  Λ/         |    .!ミ==..|   that thread last         )ノ     ____ ノ77ン     ~〉////!     week!                  r^ヽ\////{     //////|                             |  \\//|―――///////!      

I got the remake, because I have a DS. Nowadays I recommend emulating the original

In case of chrono trigger the remake because the translation in the US SNES release always annoyed me.
For games in general, I just weigh the benefits of the remake/rerelease over the original or whatever is easily available to me.

Chrono Trigger DS is not a remake, it's a port.
Learn the difference: Re-release, Remaster, Port, Remake.

no i just don't care.

The DS version is objectively better than the original SNES version in every possible way.

Depends.

REmake is superior in every way to RE1, and I'd personally recommend playing it over the original.

Goldeneye 007 remake is one of the worst remakes ever.

Conker Live and Reloaded contains some improvements on Bad Fur Day, but it's compromised by a jarring art style and idiotic censorship.

MGS: The Twin Snakes also contains improvements on the original, but it's also hurt by gameplay mechanics that breaks and oversimplifies the level design and some silly over-the-top cutscenes (even by MGS standards). Definitely worth playing, but not before the original.

Remasters are generally okay, but a total waste of time for anyone who'd already played the original version.

Depends on what's been done to the re-make. Always check out what's been changed between it and the original.

Chrono Trigger DS is a direct port, there is nothing different over the original other than control schemes and options menus. If you want to play Chrono Trigger on the go or the shitter, its perfect

Arent the graphics and translation also different?

seeing as you clearly didn't play it:
the game has been retranslated from the ground up, and they added the extra content from the PS1 version, as well as another ending, five new dungeons, and new weapons and armor for the heroes
they also added a monster training arena that no one used because it did absolutely nothing for teh main game and failed to actually carry into new game+

checked

also you should mention the story epilogue shit they added that made so many of the nostalgia fags and the Chrono Cross haters ass mad. Something about Dario coming back. I haven't played it so I won't elaborate.

it has new dungeons and endings that tie it to Chrono Cross.

If it's a straight port, whatever has the best controls, performance or convenience.
If the changes are surface-level and any additional content doesn't really constitute in a change of the original, I'd probably go straight for a remake.

Once they go beyond that, it's getting fucky, sometimes to the point where the games are different enough that both could do with a playthrough, maybe with a decent enough gap in between, or one stands out as complete trash to be avoided.

La-Mulana's an alright example of something different enough to deserve a playthrough of both versions, with ample time between them.

Have you never played it nigger?
It has new dungeons and the original lines like when Ayla implies being bisexual or when she talks about breast feeding