PS4 Dreams

This is probably the worst time right now to try to talk about the game since the beta test that was supposed to start this year just got postponed this month on the last notice, but i still want to talk about it a little bit since ive never seen it discussed here at all. Did it just fly completely under the radar, Holla Forums included?

For people wondering what the fuck im talking about, Dreams is this new game Media Molecule Aka the guys who made Little big planet and Tearaway are working on and so far it looks like Little big planet on Steroids. As in, full 3D enviroments with every asset being user made from Models which are sculpted in game to sounds to music. All in-game. It sounds very ambitious but from what ive seen they seem to be able to pull it off in some way.

Im a big fan of LBP and recently finished Tearaway and found it pretty good altough im more of a dude who spends autistic amounts of hours in the editors to create random shit.

From what ive seen from the devs they seem kinda leaning into the "Everybody loves everyone" hippie kinda character which is fucking atrocious and a slippery slope into SJW shit which makes me a bit anxious but i still want to believe this is going to turn out great. So what do you guys think? I know theres loads of artfags as well as nodevs who wish to make shit but lack the patience like me to pull through and just like make game. I feel like this game could fill the niche for those kinds of people like LBP did to an extent.

tl;dr:

LBP and Tearaway Devs are making a new game thats like LBP but in full 3D and with a way bigger scope. Thoughts?

I completely forgot that even existed.

Case in point. I feel like im the only person on Holla Forums to even know about this game apart from having heard the name somewhere. I admit to occasionally shilling this here every half year or so because this game is just criminally unknown especially since the potential is so huge, theres already footage showing some good shit and the devs did not disappoint in the past. Well, except for the absolute kikefest that were the lbp dlcs but ill let that slide since i think MM themselves werent all that much at fault for that decision and since you make quite literally everything yourself in dreams theres little need for shitty DLC and instead we might get actually useful expansion that add more tools or something along those lines.

I also loved LBP, but I can't imagine dreams living up to expectations. Did they confirm actual gameplay? It seems like you just make movies.

its gay
like why dream about gay shit?

PS4?
Yeah, it's not very memorable.

first thing I heard about this game was is was going to be toolbox to create "user generated" content. So while it looks ambitious in all the traitors. I can imagine its going to be a steaming pile of crap.

They used to stream the game quite a lot to show off features. Most of the time was spent sculpting shit while they sometimes showed the characters they made being able to be posessed and controlled from a third person perspective. During the first few streams they only showed characters walking around so i was getting scared it might turn out to be a "DiY walking adventure" kind of thing. Luckily during one of the last streams they did so far they showed some actual gameplay. even if a bit shallow, assuming they whipped it up in in-game in an afternoon, it was there. From what ive seen, im optimistic that they might be able to pull it off somehow.

I dont think anybody would force you to make gay shit. I for one am gonna probably make some cool mechs and whatever.

You have a fair point, the ps4 doesnt that many good games. The beta for this might be free so if one already has got a ps4 why not try it out when it starts? Cant hurt to make a picture of it yourself, really.

In terms of user generated content i sadly have to agree. While the devs said they would include story levels with the game the majority of the shit the community will spit out is gonna be abysmal if LBP is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly discovered that very few people can actually model anything. Chances are their initial testing with people unfamiliar with the project ended terribly, with the testers completely at a loss and frustrated with the creation system. It's like how the vast majority of RPG Maker games end up being copypasted shit because even simple sprites are too difficult for most people.

It'd be a fundamental shift in gaming if they somehow made content creation both fun and easy, but there's a reason why competent 3D modelers are so hard to find.

I agree. While ive dabbled in it, im really shitty at modelling so i think anything i make safe for lets say very simple shapes is not going to look good. They do have some interesting approaches towards the whole building worlds thing though. So with the right amount of autism i think one should be able to learn how shit goes quickly. At least in that one engine. I recommend checking out their youtube channel to anyone who might be interested in looking into what the game looks like. They uploaded all of their past streams there. Right now pretty much the only source of information about the game. Theres a forum but ive checked it out and its nothing except circlejerking and sucking the devs off. So theres that.

Checked out their channel. Nice to know it's an actual game, but still wary. Is animation easier or harder than modelling?

Id say it varies depending on the fidelty on what youre trying to animate. If you just want to have a plane move about thats as easy as just taking it and moving it about while recording the movements. If you want to animate an entire person with each single finger moving independently then i hope thats possible too but theres no info on how that would work right now. There might be more detailed settings like keyframing and whatever in the game and i sincerely wish for it since having to puppeteer everything just screams for wonky animation and id love to make some cinematics, but nothing like that was shown so far. They have talked about the logic system multiple times and said it was similar to the one in LBP 2 but with more stuff added to it. Knowing that the devs have a habit of actually using the ingame editors of their games to make the story levels and cutscenes, if the trailer is anything to go by, you should be able to do at least half decent shit with some effort.

have they said anything about vr functionality? it seems like this thing could work really well with vr.

They talked about VR and said they would definitely love to implement sony VR. They also definitely have some units in their office so im pretty sure they are already working away at VR support. Couple this with the Move controllers being supported for playing the game this has potential to be the new LBP of this gen. I really hope it will be

So i guess nobody cares enough about the game yet to justify a thread. Maybe i should try making one when the beta is actually out.

I keep forgetting this is a thing, and I was a HUGE LBP fan when I was younger. Like, lived and breathed that shit. A shitposter back on LBPCentral was the person that introduced me to imageboards.

Understandable. Its not like its talked about anywhere at all. This game has fucking zero marketing behind it which i actually dont quite understand. I figured MM would be quite popular since LBP was well recieved.

Reading through this thread and watching that video reminded me that I did know what this game was
Didn't they make 3 or 4 of those games?

They made LBP 1 and from what i hear slightly reluctantly 2 since they wanted to do other stuff but were pressured into it by higher ups. But after that they went to make Tearaway and gave the rights to LBP to Sumo digital who made LBP 3 which is regarded as the worst one and had huge launch issues like the editor severely lacking due to bugs amongst other things. Imho 2 was the best one since it took the previous game and added loads of shit to it like all the logic tools and what have you.

It looks nice and Sandbox games are carving a niche on VR but the heavy reliance on Move controls is going to be a huge issue. Recently in the UK industry, there's a small rumor going around that Media Molecule has been talking to outside investors because Sony has been culling staff and studios as well and some staff at MM have already departed. Studio London is likely going to officially close in the new year (75% staff reduction before VR Worlds launched and a skeleton staff for post launch) and San Diego got gutted last year. MM might be next if they need to cut more.

Would be a shame but they would likely be picked up easy by another publisher like Evolution was if they have enough of a heads up to do it and re-organise under a different banner.

They said they were looking into it but base game runs 30FPS on the base PS4. They would probably have to really push rez down hard for to get the FPS down (And some games running non-native on PSVR are some of the worst offenders for nausea like Summer Lesson which runs at something like 960x540 per viewport). It might be VR support only on pro.

Game looks great. Just that the sudden silence and rumors are worrying for it's future.

You're making me sweat bullets here.
I need Dreams to come out and not be shit.
I more or less bought a ps4 for it. Along with disgaea and EDF

I saw some of their streams OP and am hyped for it. Sure, actual creative levels and "dreamscapes" will be few and far in between, but the fact you can use the Sony dildos to make models should make things easier and mroe hands on. I fully expect new Crash levels in dreams after the remake comes out.

Yah know, its games like this or Let it Die that I was the most interested in when they were announced, and yet sony says little to nothing about them in favor of their AAA partnerships for games that aren't even exclusive to their system, it's insane, Let it Die is insanely fun but Sony gave it like 5 minutes at E3 and then just sorta said "BTW its out, bye" at PSX. I feel like Dreams is doomed to the same fate, which is a shame if all of the features that they've talked about for it are true. IIRC they talked about how you could export models made in the game to some 3d printing software.

Lets hope that Dreams is gonna be versatile enough to enable making proper games. That would be amazing.
Im gonna use this more as a tool in way anyways. Since this is on ps4 undoubtedly you will need ps+ to do all the online shit and i refuse to pay monthly like a good guy just to have online features. That shits fucking gay.

Ive been playing Let it Die and i actually like it despite hating games with PVP elements in the focus. The fact that its not actual and more sort of second-hand PVP makes this much more bearable for me. The music is also is all over the place and has some really good songs mixed in.
Yeah i heard that too and the implications this brings are amazing. Not only 3D printing but just straight up exporting the models as files to your pc so you could use it in other shit. As bad as this sounds, this could open the door to a new breed of shitty Unity games. Not only with shitty programming but also with shitty sculped models. Im looking forward to this in a celebrating the apocalypse kind of way.

this was uploaded 3 hours ago

WHAT DOES IT MEAN??

That they are a bunch of pretentious nu-males.

I just wanted a 2d and 3d game maker with mario maker. Was it that hard to make a simple mario 64 editor?

Why wouldn't they just make a new LBP but in a fully 3d environment. The world needs more straight forward 3d platformers. The LBP aesthetic was really nice and hasn't been utilised enough

Probably.

I think when this comes out, that will be what lots of people are going to be making. Wether those Platformers are going to be any good nobody knows. Probably not. But one can wish.