Controller Thread

What's the best Controller to use for anything on PC? Right now, im using pic related, but i'd like to use a wireless one in the future, the problem is i'm not sure which one, what do you use? Is the Pro Controller easy to get working? What would you recommend? doesn't have to be wireless, i'd just like to know. Let's talk controllers.

Other urls found in this thread:

retrousb.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dulashock 4 since its officially supported by Steam and thus any game in your Steam library. Including Xbox controller games since Steam has its own directInput wrapper, making the old x360 controller emu method obsolete unless you're a piratefag. Syncing to Bluetooth requires no third party software (just press share and the ps button at the same time while syncing) And really its overall all around a great controller.

Xbox One gamepad is surprisingly good, except for its exceptionally horrible D-Pad

in short it's shit.

Use a DS4 for the ergonomics and dominantly placed D-pad. Also have a Wii U Pro controller and a DS3 but haven't bothered getting them to work with PC yet

How does it make it obsolete? DS4 already worked with everything and InputMapper is a lot more modular than Steam is

when i tried the DS4, i felt no difference compared to the DS3, besides the annoyingly bright and battery sucking LED. what are the positives compared to the DS3 again?

user, you're thinking of the Xbox 360. Xbox One actually has a good dpad, or atleast tbe Xbone S controller does.

The ergonomics aren't a shitty afterthought. and with Steam you can turn the LED off completely. You also don't need shady third party software to set it up

Are you positive it was a DS4? Most Dualshocks are more or less the same but the DS4 is pretty noticeably different to the previous ones all around

what did you mean with this, "the ergenomics weren't a shitty afterthought?" In my oppinion, the DS3 doesn't do anything horribly wrong, and is perfectly useable. granted, if i could change ANYTHING, i would maybe swap the joystick with the d-pad and make it a little bit bigger, but the DS3 is still perfectly useable. good thing i don't have huge hands…

The WiiUpro controller is even better and more comfortable, imo. If you need analog triggers and easy compatibility then the xbox one controller should be good.

For big hands the Wiipro, WiiUpro, and the Xbone controllers are good and comfortable..

We have this thread way too often. We should make a chart or something. Here's my shitty contribution
Dualshock 4
Xbone
Steam Controller
Wii U Pro
360 controller
Dualshock 3
Gamecube controller
Dualshock 2
Duke
Wii Remote

The Duke will forever be God-tier. Its more like a piece of military hardware than a controller. The beast was not an afterthought ergonomics wise, the only people who hate the Duke are people with tiny manlet hands who could not properly handle The Duke.

If you really think that then you never had a good D-pad.

>>>/leddit/

The Vita has a great dpad.

Vita gamepad is SNES tier good, it's clicky.

That doesn't make any xbone D-pad good

Logitech controllers like pic related are decent. They are compatible with any game that is compatible with Xbox 360 controllers and are a cheaper alternative to them.

Hori FPS Pro

two arcade sticks

Seeing as you're a shit eater, get any other consolefag controller that has a low price point unless you want to burn money for whatever reason

you mean xinput wrapper

Wait, so I don't have to dick around with overwriting firmware on a bluetooth dongle? The DS4 will sync with an ordinary bluetooth dongle? On any PC?
And you can customise it like a Steam controller?
That sound fucking heavenly. Thank fuck for that. I like the idea of the Steam controller but in practice I just can't get comfortable with it.

Pirated steam games are the exception to this DS4 support?

they are so retarded to hold though.

bought one of these the other day.

it fits in my hand so perfectly

well technically you can add pirate game as a Non-Steam game, but i wouldn't bother

just use DS4windows, it's a great and customizable piece of software

DS3, DS4, X360
I hear the XBone pad isn't bad but I haven't used it.

already using it
otherwise I'd have a yellow LED flashing in the dead of night
The only issue I really have is whether or not the game will give me xb or ps button icons and if I have to mod them in.

Holy shit you guys are genuine fucking retards

You don't need Steam for DS4 support on Windows, it works out of the box, you don't even need third party software

you DO need Steam for games that use DirectInput, however, even this is unnecessary with the x360 controller emu

I mean this is beyond retardation, did I just step into Reddit?

exactly

Also you aren't explaining the real issue, am i getting fucking xb icons or ps icons?

huh, there's a filter for that

What is filtered? I assume its the "icon" that is filtered because I was confused as fuck. Fucking Mark

Like the in-game button prompts? I think it's going to be the xbox YBAX no matter what, you'd need to get some texture packs for the individual game itself to change it to the playstation symbols

No, something filters to "I'm an idiot. please laugh at me" but nobody knows what it is because anyone who posts it is an idiot and gets laughed at

something about reddit and their spacing was filtered

And yes, the in game button prompts. I was hoping steam supporting dinput would mean that I'll get the dualshock button prompts in most of my games, because my autism triggers me to see anything else.

Well you would be wrong because its just an input wrapper, its not going to patch the graphics in-game. The controllers are configured through Steams controller config though and I believe that does show the correct graphics

yeah, my train of thought was the support would motivate devs to go the extra step and put in the alternative button icons

Maybe in the future but Steams Xinput wrapper just came out the last couple updates so it remains to be seen.

Ducky keyboard with custom caps

The Wii controllers don't have analog triggers, correct? That pretty well fucks you if you plan to do any driving or arcade flying type shit, emulated or otherwise.

You should have named your list
shlomo

I will never find a xbox controller with the nintendo button lettering layout

You do realize it's extremely easy to do it yourself?

use the ps3 one

I still had to emulate through x360ce to get my ds4 to work with shante and the pirate curse.

If you're using the Wii classic controller, you may as well get the WiiU Pro controller. I got it for my WiiU and it works well on my computer, but I'd recommend something cheaper as a first option.
+good D-Pad
+excellent battery life
+charges via mini USB
+uses Bluetooth (so it should work with any Bluetooth adapter)
-controller is a bit floaty (not too big of an issue, but it feels weird being so light)
-no analogue triggers (not too many games benefit from them, but I hate needing a second controller for when I do)
-no wired, only wireless

It's shit and you know it.

Why list it? Is it even worth using outside of Wii games?

Why not just take it apart and swap the buttons? It's not difficult. If you want to swap the actual button functions as well, a little soldering would probably do the trick.

Because they're all different shapes and have individual key-slots and matching pinions on the backside, you dumbass.

Yeah good luck with that.

Mouse and Keyboard

how is steam controller bad?

How is it good? And bad? The only steam controller praise I saw was from shill that couldn't make anything else other than "it's good for mobas and tv!". It has no d-pad and front analogue buttons so it's shit for fightans and platformers, for RTS and FPS you want mouse so like the only use might be the games where you need both sticks and precision which are not FPS because M+KB mustard, I don't know any.

The Steam Controller's best use case is for emulating the Gamecube and Wii. it's got analog/digital triggers, and it's bigger than the Gamecube controller, so it's the best thing for playing GCN games if you have big hands. As for the Wii, you bind the gyro to move the cursor.

It's gyro and pad thing make it the best controller for FPS games. You might go on about mice, but you need to lean on a surface for that. If you don't have a desk to lean on, or you want to lean back, the Steam Controller is better than anything else. Only thing that comes close is a good Trackball, but that'll cost twice as much and have half the buttons.
And before you say you tried it for FPS and it sucks, here's how you set one up. Bind soft left pull to run, hard left pull to jump. Bind soft right pull to aim, hard right pull to fire and quick hard right pull to hipfire. Add right pad click to reload, and left stick click to crouch. Now bind left pad to a weapon select menu and gyro to mouse at lowest sensitivity, and set it to only enable gyro when you soft pull the right trigger. With this setup you can do everything without taking your thumb off the right pad, meaning you can do normally what consolefags buy controller lever contraptions for.
As far as precsion goes the pads on the Steam Controller are just under the precision of a trackball, and that's only because you don't actually spin them. Unless you're a CSGO/Quake pro it works just fine. You just need to practise with them.

I will say that RTS on the Steam Controller is stupid. Especially with the ones full of tryhards with APMs in the triple digits. Maybe for something comfy and slow, like Tropico, but RTS on a controller doesn't work. And I''ve never tried mine with 2D platformers or fighters, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Wheres the best place to get NES/SNES controllers for USB? Anybody ever use these guys? Is 40 bucks too expensive?

retrousb.com/

i shill on 4chan usually, ill tell you why i think its great. first of all i enjoy the gimmick, it makes good use of vibrations for feedback, and the left touchpad makes for a better "joystick" input than the actual joystick in my experience so i prefer using it that way. but the controller itself is very customizable, you can for example have a 10+ button menu bound to the left pad which is useful in games like thief gold where you can bind all 10 weapons. and then you can use modifier keys to allow you to use that same pad for even more buttons (or convert to mouse scrolling like i use in fallout new vegas) by holding whatever you choose like left grip to create a second menu for left pad for all the items. i like the build quality, it looks cheap as fuck but feels solid and comfortable. the triggers are good and make it really easy to hold controller with both index and middle fingers both on something unlike 360 controller for example which is best with only the index finger, then of course the back grips for the other 3 fingers which is really good for things you might want to do while for example controlling the camera like jumping. the touchpad translates well to mouse input as well as scrolling making it fantastic for games like fallout new vegas and desktop usage even. it also comes with an onscreen keyboard which works very well with the dual pad setup. gyro is pretty accurate but i don't actually use it much, only use the gyro function for leaning in games that support it mostly

i dislike that there is not really any 'dpad'. you can use the left touchpad as a dpad even with the clicking function but it obviously isn't as good as a physical dpad. i also dislike the linux support, where the controller will 'crash' every once in awhile, like exactly the second press on the touchpad keyboard. but the opensource driver sc-controller is a pretty capable alternative so far aside from a jitter if you leave your finger stationary. unless you use an opensource driver you will also need to have steam open. i haven't tried mobas with it, i can tell you that i don't find many games i wouldn't rather use something else. it more excels at games where reaction isn't such a big deal and you don't want to lumber over your fucking desk to play like puzzle games (talos principle), stealth games (thief), or just general slower games (stalker, fallout 3+, dark souls 2+). it would be perfect for games like dark souls 1 if it werent such a fucked up port (shitty mouse, mousefix disables controller, so its either digital movement or the worst mouse input in any game, or joystick emulation where a 360 controller would be better). i also use it for games like half life and team fortress 2 but in the end prefer mouse and keyboard

It technically has a dpad. Very shitty tactile response for where your thumb is and if you've done the appropriate motion, but it does have one.

A keyboard with analog sticks and 4 pressure sensitive buttons is literally perfect.

Wow, thanks for detailed answers, looks like it has its niche, alright though I still think M+KB is better. Would probably be fun if gaben ever got it to work with xbone/nogames4. That sounds like some fun arcane wizardry though.

thank me later faggot

Could be better.

Underaged b&, pls go.

Yeah, they're non-existent shoulders buttons with no pressure sensitivity making them pointless. Bite me.

Those are analog triggers, you double nigger. I bet you use a 360 pad for fighting games, you prancing homo.

I'm calling them shit you thick twit.

Just get an original controller and a USB adapter. You can get them on ebay for $10. Nothing beats playing an emulator with an original controller. Pic related is the best controller ever, bar none.

I agree. I used to use a PS3 controller, but switched over to an Xbone controller. I only use it on a few games anyway. Mostly racing games since I haven't gotten a wheel yet. I also used it for Dark Souls.

I would get a wheel too if those damn things weren't that expensive. Used to have a cheap one for like 50€ and that one was a pain in the ass to use. It had some kind of a spring in it that made the wheel bounce back every time you try to steer instead of staying in it's position and having you turn it back.

Currently using my 360 controller for racing games. And I must say it is a huge upgrade from keyboard but doesn't compare to a decent wheel.

I'm getting a new job next year so the price won't bother me, but I agree that they're not cheap. I'm not even that great at (online) racing games, I just enjoy them and want a wheel to enjoy them more.

/vr/ please go.

yeah but some of them are 250-600€. That's a lot of money. I am planning on buying the upcoming rx490 which could cost around 550€, and I definitely don't want to spend that much again on a wheel.

And keep in mind that there aren't that many good racing games on pc right now.

except the original hardware.

Dolphin would care to disagree, seeing as it can play at a higher native resolution and is even more stable than the original hardware, like how the Dolphin devs fixed memory handling bugs that were present in the original hardware that causes crashes in games like Twilight Princess when the correct input is applied

This statement discredits anything you've said. You clearly don't even know what you're talking about.

well certain games don't work properly on Dolphin. Like has anyone heere played Cel Damage? On dolphin you sometimes fall through the ground. Like a few years ago that game didn't work at all, now it sometimes works and other times it doesn't.

Are any of you DS4 assholes having latency issues with bluetooth? Mine will randomly lose and regain connection and its less than 2 ft from the receiver.

Nope. Maybe you have a shitty bluetooth adapter

No, never. Either your bluetooth dongle is shit, or you have shitty drivers for it. A $10 dongle with broadcom drivers will never experience any latency or drops, and if you're that close you should have a rock solid ~1.4ms connection.

HOLY FUCK, FUCKING UNPLAYABLE! WHY DOES THIS SHIT BOTHER ME AS MUCH AS IT DOES?!

Use ds4tool.

how can you say this when you get options like resolution not available on consoles? do you really think the developers will refuse to fix a bug if they think they can?

change the deadzone in the joystick settings in steam

Fucking casuals who can't balance 3 grips.

Do you really think your post is anything other than giberish? Also upscaling games to higher resolutions isn't always good. It can show how horrible the textures are in a game for example.

Correction:
Upscaling is the way to go, just forcing the game to run in a higher resolution can make things look quite ugly some times.

so is there a chart gonna be made?

Except playing on emulators gives you even more options and freedom, from easier fanhacks to translations for unreleased games, not to mention graphics options and even netplay.

Pic related with patched ROMs

That controller is the sole reason why Microsoft absorbed Sidewinder and all of its tech. They knew that if they wanted to deliver a good console, it would need to have an equally good controller.

They succeeded and then some. Too bad the following controllers have been "okay" at best.

i asked you a question, i didn't state anything. if its gibberish to you, you are just stupid and thats what i believe.

you disregard a lot of options. you can make 30 fps games run at 60 fps. you can turn OFF texture filtering in games where that wasn't an option on consoles. you can use antialiasing and high resolutions. you can use true widescreen and modern controller schemes. if you believe emulators can do nothing you also believe unofficial patches do not exist and it makes you pretty fucking stupid

Its made up for by boosting polygonal resolutions

majora's mask really benefits from removing texture filtering

How do you make deadzones this bad?

Which is the best if you have big hands? I use the DS3 for Rocket League, but it's pretty small.

God help you if the engine is tied to framerate in any way. All the 60FPS autism flies completely out the window if forcing it to run at double its intended speed actually breaks the game.

PS2, PSX and Gamecube games do handle it pretty good though.

Think I kind of prefer that over the silly blurry textures

No, are you retarded? I just said what they can do is often unnecessary and often makes games look shit. See also:

Upscaling is where it's at, you get all the compatibility and stability of the original hardware with visuals that don't look like ass on a modern screen. Emulators are for poor fags.

there's the wiiu pro controller from nyko the commander

if used on pc, the analog triggers work i think.

Any anons good with picking controllers?

I just want one to play some damn emulators on my computer, but no stores near me sell them.
Can anyone find one on Amazon that is both reliable and looks nice?

Works really well, though you'll have to use either Steam or DS4 to get it to be compatible.
Oldie but googie, perfect software support, shit d-pad though.
Good controller, beware the adapter requirement for older or used controllers though, same applies for Xbox 360 controllers.
Good controller, but software support isn't quite Dualshock 4-tier and no analog triggers.
Do your research and use at your own risk.

You can't really go wrong with newer controllers. It's easier to list things to not go for. Just avoid the original batch DS4s, the original series X1s and the X1 Elite. If you don't use Steam avoid the Steam Controller too.

If you want a recommendation, Mega Drive/Saturn/PS1 digital for 2D and Steam Controller/Dualshock 4 for 3D.

there are a few good third party brands.
i like the hori controllers better than most console ones. i've heard good things about the buffalo controllers, but haven't used one.