Which is the definitive version Persona 3?

Which is the definitive version Persona 3?
I've only played P3P but I hear a lot of the cutscenes and such are missing. It does have controllable party members and the female MC options though.
I'm up for a replay and wondered if I should just go with P3P again or P3Fes.

Atlus thread as well.

FES is canon, so if you care about the "official" story, that's the one to play.

I don't care about canon. I care for the best experience.

In my opinion you should've played FES first. The cutscenes add a lot of character. Might as well play it now if you want to replay the game. It's fully functional on PCSX2. That's what I played it on years ago. You could play the femMC story in P3P as well if you don't care about the cutscenes.

P3P is that
The Answer is a dogshit dungeon crawler
The cutscenes missing from P3P are nothing important, especially when you compare it to the ability to actually control your party members.
P3P also excises some poor design decisions from the original like the retarded fatigue system they used to hide how simple the dungeons are. If you really want to "experience it all" then you can just emulate FES and play The Answer on that as you don't need to beat the game to play it.

I see. Thanks.

Persona 3 FES+ and Persona 4 Platinum when?

Despite what people say, P3P really does lose a shitload of impact without the cutscenes and in-game graphics. P3P is best for a second playthrough.

The Answer's main issue is that unlike The Journey which has the balance of dating sim shit and dungeon crawling shit, it's 100% dungeon crawl. It's still fine if you aren't bad at the game (Answer is locked to Hard mode, as a fuck you from the devs because so many people bitched that the game was too easy) but it's a lot easier to burn out because there isn't nearly as much variety in the gameplay. The Answer is still worth at least one run though, just like P3P is definitely worth it for a second playthrough because of the (non-canon) female protagonist.

If you care about a "narrative experience" most, go for P3FES
If you want a somewhat playable game, P3P
If you love yourself you won't fucking play this shit at all.

FES, it's the game with more content, such as allowing for the MC to use any weapon type giving more options as they appear through weapon fusion, more persona's, extra dungeon crawling mode for closure and fusion skills which in this game are very situational based on needing 2 persona's but they can offer really good benefits in some cases.
It's the original with most of the kinks removed from the game and with more content.
P3P is mechanically busted because it uses the changes to Persona 4's version battle system without changing the game to accommodate it making the combat even more stupidly easy then it already was.
Adds skillcards which are exploitable to pretty much buy top tier skills like auto-buff or such making that null all meme persona easier then your mother.
Also fusion spells in this game are made into one use items which it gives more then enough of to you (for an easy quest you get given fucking Armageddon which is 9999 damage no questions asked with a final boss with only 8000HP)

TL:DR Get FES unless you're a casual scrub and only play P3P if you're interested in playing the what if Girl version after.

Why when you'll just use the moves their AI would pick anyway?

Post the yaoi

That's how traditional JRPGs are.

I've played JRPGs my entire life, I'm well aware of how they control. Take your condescending bullshit to someone who cares.

Why isn't it.

I'm convinced it's exclusively Mitsurufags who are trying to delude themselves into thinking their sheltered cardboard cutout knows shit about how to fight.
Fuck you, the girl's just plain dumb.

Because you're getting rid of something the game was balanced and designed around to make it more like other JRPGs. The way it works in FES is totally fine and works as intended. Your teammates feel like teammates instead of extra protagonists - you guide them instead of mind controlling their every move.

Confirmed for picking a shitty team, mine never let me down because I picked a group that could cover each other's weaknesses while ruthlessly exploiting the enemy's.

I predicted that your reason for liking it was immersion so I'm pretty comfortable in my position, and if you're claiming your team never lost a battle for you, you are lying through your teeth

Aigis never let me down, and that's why she's the second best waifu.

Use Tactics my man, if they're set to do anything but heal/buff even when you're controlling them you're playing wrong.
But they can automatically play the Buff/Debuff/Heal game for you while you play DPS.

Elaborate on how the game was balanced around not issuing commands to the party.

"Works as intended" is the absolute shittiest thing to defend something with, working intendedly doesn't inherently mean it works well, at all, usually if you have to use that excuse the opposite is true.

Or you're giving them commands, as their leader? It makes a whole lot more sense for what's supposed to be an organization with established leadership to be lead by one person rather than being a free for all with the vague goal of 'beat the enemy'.

P3P. Not being able to control your team is fucking horrible.

You might as well not even have any help. They just get you killed whenever you trust them.

You could be like the other guy and just admit you're in it for the waifus

Thanks then for admitting you suck at an easy SMT game my dude.

The male protagonist is more attractive than any of the female characters.

when did Holla Forums become so casual?

Can? You've said more than enough

That's gay

It becomes trivialized when you have full control because the game does not expect your entire party to use the most optimal moves all the time. You tell Akihiko to go on defense and he'll buff or heal you as he sees fit - and most of the time he does the right thing. He's a smart guy. Tell him to attack and he'll smack the shit out of anyone who isn't weak to lightning. It's unique in a JRPG to have intelligent party members whom you guide instead directly control. If you want to make it more standardized so you can take advantage of stupid enemies, then Atlus has you covered.

I actually played 75% of P4 solo tbh fam

Sure.

It's honestly the best way to play, your levels = more persona's to fuse and more fusions, so getting X4 EXP your your MC is much better then a balanced party.
Your party members if you care can join in boss fights to suck up hits and gain level scaled boss EXP.

True, but I've found that almost no amount of inflated stats can stand up to the strongest ability in any turn based game: free turns. At least I couldn't stand up to it.

Buffs get bitches my man.

Well, duh, but if the boss smacks me twice every time I buff, that's quickly going to chunk me. At least with a party I can have Yosuke spam on me while I blast it.

I want to throat-fuck Aegis and stuff my cock up her robotic asshole

That is all

It's just the retards who never touched the tactics menu. How do you think marin karin became a meme?

It's what they deserve for using Mitsuru to begin with.

Mitsuru is fine if you use tactics. Her magic damage and healing are top-tier.

Still miss the 3D graphics in P3P though. And seeing other games on the PSP(and how small P3P is in comparison to other PSP titles(P3P is less than a gigabyte and many PSP titles are more than a gigabye)) they probably could have had everything in full 3D if they really tried.

I'm sure they'll have a team remake 3 and 4 in the new engine as the final milking to those two games.

FES. Skip the Answer though.

Mitsuru is shit and outclassed by the best party member in the game, Koromaru

MARIN KARIN
A
R
I
N

K
A
R
I
N

Nigga, you're a bunch of high schoolers, getting fatigued should be the norm. I do admit individual control over party members and the P4 One-More is better than P3, but you also miss out on being able to wield every weapon. Not like it'sa game changer/deal breaker per se, but there's several differences.

Shitter confirmed, I bet you didn't even kill Death.

Holy shit I never played the Answer. I've owned the game for a few years now on PS3 and never picked it back up after beating the main story once.

My team can't let me down if I'm all alone.

You're not missing a hell of a lot, unless you find it fun to not have a compendium.

you can't control your party in Dragon Quest 3 and that is a very "traditional" JRPG tbh.

Except that most JRPGs don't take after that, which means it's not very traditional, is it?

So says everyone who doesn't actually like modern Persona gameplay. The Answer is just P3 stripped of all the high school bullshit. If you don't like The Answer, then you don't like P3: what you like is a substandard dating sim. The one and only legitimate gameplay gripe about The Answer is that it has no compendium.

My Issue is Aigis's sister is a worse Aigis and Aigis was my go to for the buffs while Metis is just a robo Mitsuru in usability At least it gives a space for me to use DAH MAN

NEVER PLAY THE ANSWER

Play FES though since it's the updated version of P3 and you can get it on the Playstation store.

You should emulate P3P though since it makes the dungeons tolerable with the speedup hack the emulator has

FES is between the shitty cutscenes and The Answer. All Portable does is make the gameplay less frustrating by not forcing you to deal with the finicky party AI, but I actually like that in a way because the game tends to be a bit too easy outside of floor bosses when you're given full control. It's also fun to be able to use any weapon type. Daily reminder that FeMC is not and never will be canon.

Name which traditional JRPG most other JRPGs take after which doesn't allow you to control the party directly

I see we've hit a point of no return in this thread. Have a Chie pet.

Fina Fantasy XIII

It obviously comes down to personal preference. I prefer P3P because really the shit animation in the 3D cutscenes is less immersive than having an imagination tempered by a lifetime of reading books.

Though FES is not top by default because The Answer is utter trash. I don't give a fuck about it being canon, it's fucking awful from a gameplay and story perspective. Don't forget that P4 Arena and Saturday Night Disco are canon too.

And? It's optional post game content. FES also has a superior main game.

I'm offended by its presence.

Why is Mitsuru best girl?

Because the other girls are shit

top kek

Is that a surprise to you?
Even compared to its predecessors and successors P3's gameplay is fucking dogshit. Considering the implementation of the fatigue system, even the developers are aware of this and are actively trying to limit the time players can spend in the dungeon.
Tartarus is simpler than dungeons in Persona 1, its simpler than Rogue, its simpler than fucking Wizardry 1 and that is a game where 5 levels of the 10 level dungeon were pure filler.

yeah, that's a good poi-
MARIN KARIN
MARIN KARIN
MARIN KARIN

I bet she's inexperienced but eager as fuck in bed.

Called it.

anyway, P3P is fine, the story of Persona 3 is not so amazing that you can't get it without a bunch of prerendered cutscenes.

that one was a freebie, fag. ;^)

Wew, what the fuck. It's not even a good thread.

They probably will do that. I think that'd be good though.

One thing to note is that if you're playing on the original console, you can get the undub version of P3P running on your actual psp so you can play on the go, whereas you wouldn't be able to play FES undub on your PS2, you'd have to use an emulator, not a big deal but worth noting.

If you have a modded PS2 or PS3 you can play the undub.

I did and I wish I had more respect for myself but I guess emulate P3P so you can get get through that slog as fast as possible.

Persona 3 portable is the worst version. The female protagonist is horribly fleshed out and the choices it gives you are an insult to the plot. Being able to keep shinji alive pisses me off since it just cheapens a really important scene.

The concessions made to the gameplay are the worst though. Being able to control your party members totally breaks combat and makes it far to easy while making the tactics you unlock completely useless. The tactics method from persona 3 was fantastic, it made you feel like an actual leader since you weren't just micromanaging everyone's shit. The ridiculous amounts of money you make right out of the gate removed any purpose to getting a job. The game includes all the stupid bullshit from persona 4 but wasn't at all built around it. and the female charcter slinks sucked ass, subjective I know

The best version i've seen is the ps3 download of P3 FES, its 10 bucks and its better than trying to emulate it on your computer and getting pissed off when you get to floor 200 only to encounter those crystal beetles that make the game lag for no reason. And the cutscenes are glitched on top of the character portraits which requires you to use the alternate filter that makes them look like shit.

Otherwise just get a copy of P3 FES on ps2 since its cheap as shit.

I still miss it.

they're pretty fucking cheap nowadays, you could also try and get an old ps3 with the EE built in, but they're getting harder to find.

P3P is best because it's much faster than P3 or FES. The game involves so much grinding and running around that making it just that bit faster can save you hours in real time.

That is fucking Persona you moron. Honestly IDGAF about the gameplay in Persona. Want gameplay? Go play a MOBA or Minecraft.

Persona is a weeb game. If you can't shit post for 3 hours about "best girl" you should not play Persona.

I emulated P3FES undub and didn't run into the performance or cutscene issues, weird.

tactics menus are way too hard to use, i mean you have to move the joystick and then push some buttons, then try to figure out what does each command means. "full assault" does that mean my teammates can still heal me? this shit is too obscure

Does P3P has the FES segments aswell as being able to play as a girl? If so P3P then.

No, this is partially why people are divided. P3P has it's own nods, like Vincent from Catherine in the bar if you play as a girl. But otherwise, any extra shit from FES is only in FES as far as I know. Definitely no post-main game story in P3P.

P3P is a straight downgrade. The story is presented like a fucking VN.

Boyo, I prefer FES but you can't just call it a downgrade. Am I the only one who doesn't like FeMC's OST?

lolno, I'mma Fukka u up.

Shit ton of grinding and often luck-based boss encounters sucks in a game where you mostly just want to max out Social Links.

Is it safe to post TMS here?

P3P lets you be a girl and induce love triangles, that alone is worth the Cutscene "downgrade".

Junpei is CAN'T HAVE though despite because being best boy.

But as said, the difficulty is busted in P3p since the game didn't really change to accomodate for controllable partypembers and skill cards.

Buff speed nigga, can't slap you if they can't hit you

Kill yourself

Which is why it's perfect for a second playthrough. Also, anyone who thinks the tactics menu is hard or bad is a fucking shitter. If your teammates are spamming shitty moves you don't want, maybe you should do something other than leave them on Act Freely and then complain that they do whatever they feel like.

Just go play an otome game you fag.