Unique/oddball/tacked-on multiplayer

These types of multiplayer games are my favorites and they're not conventional mulitplayer but I don't have the rhetoric to explain it.

Miss the fuck out of MAG.

Sorely underrated game.

It's a shame a lot of the playerbase jumped over to the much-overrated Battlefield 3.

I think being a PS3 exclusive really did a lot of harm to its marketability and longevity, though.

GTA IV was very clean-cut and pure
Everyone had the same weapons at the beginning of every game, everyone was worth 100 bucks and the HUD only had money picked, the map, your weapon and how many bullets left inside
GTA V was almost the complete opposite

Assault on Dark Athena had a tacked on multiplayer requested by the original publisher that was decent enough but squeezed a lot of money from the devs
The publisher then told them to fuck off and basically the multiplayer was a waste of 3 months time and a quarter of the budget

MAG was really good. reminded me quite a bit of Enemy Territory multiplayer.

Yeah being on PS3 really hurt it. It had bad lag spikes on the largest maps.

Pipe dream of mine is that Sony and Microsoft do a MAG-like game where they have cross platform massive matches like once a week. Have the fanboys fight it out.

Obviously would never happen

Bioshock 2 had standard team deathmatch multiplayer with a Rapture backdrop. The only thing unique about it was that they handled story telling through it by making it the fall of rapture civil war with special events to advance the plot. Kind of like Proto Brink.

Dead Space 2 had a relatively unique multiplayer where one team played the survivors while others played the necromorphs. The game had way more variety of necromorphs than the first one so it kind of worked but then it inevitably died due to no longevity.

I know what you mean but the term you're looking for is organic & raw. It was impromptu and the silence was the best part, you communicated without words. We're never going to get similar again.

The menus were very archaic, not really organic, nor was the pop-ups
Raw is the better word, you got that spot on
Thanks for reminding me bud
Rockstar 1997-2012

Organic as in interacting with other players and the community, it could all be done without talking and everyone could read each other easily and people complied fast with getting in your car or shooting you in the face, that was half of why multiplayer was so good.

Deus Ex and Stalker had multiplayer?

Yes, Deus Ex's multiplayer was standard deathmatch but Stalker was CS+CoD+Quake: You spawn in with limited money and weapons to buy, go rush towards capping objectives, get money, die, repeat.

That actually sounds kind of neat. Is the multiplayer active in any way?

I don't know since I can't connect with my physical copy for some reason but there are some servers still up, don't know what version of the game you need though.

I think we didn't play the same game
I banged that stuff in my old 360, it was all random antics
PC must have been golden
Organic is the right word there then, in consoles it was eerie, all silence, only the strings from the main theme in slowmo and the radio
Also the best game i've heard regarding gunshot echoes and muffling between buildings/places/open distance
It had so much advanced stuff, only to be thrown out in GTAV, which was ironically dragged down by the online portion along with its technical impossibilities

Kane and Lynch
Resistance 2 Co-Op
Batman Arkham Origins
Mass Effect 3

I played it on the 360 too, that's what I mean.
All the sound design for GTA IV was top-notch the guns in GTA V sound like dull pea-shooters without the bass compared to GTA IV's meaty screaming death machines, GTA V is just a shit game overall.

Condemned 2: Bloodshot Multiplayer Crime Scene Mode was the shit!

C'mon Holla Forums.
Multiplayer is probably the most interesting aspect of the game. Almost makes up for this game tanking Westwood.

Crime Scenes – another gametype putting the SCU agents against the Influenced. The Influenced must hide two cases of evidence, while the SCU agents must use their equipment to find and scan the evidence before time runs out.

My nigga has appeared.

Chucking your empty gun/fire axe at a homeless person .

I don't know man but something about it was so satisfying.

Don't worry, the game turns to shit when you get those dumb as fuck super powers.

Goddamn i sure miss Stalker multiplayer, maybe any of you anons want to make a server if it is possible and play?

I know it's a load of crap.

If I recall correctly this was before the xbox360 had that group chat party function that they added in the later UI updates so in order to talk to people I think you would actually have to be close to them in-game to hear them.

Would make for some really intense ambush situations.

Chromehounds also did this.

Seconding this, MAG was a lot of fun. I still remember going on a rampage by hipfiring with a sniper rifle as SVER and hearing some guy freak out on the mic because of it. 256 player mode was really something else.

This too.

As I recall, Sony didn't even attempt to market it. The same thing happened to a lot of PS3 Sony games.

I know what a lot of you are probably going to say and I agree there is a lot of shit wrong with it, but the co-op mode in this game is actually pretty good. It does a good job of making you feel like a squad of resistance fighters. You cannot be a retarded run and gun faggot in this and charge down the middle, you need to deploy as a team, flank and use your head a little. Even need to split up and strike several objectives at once. It is almost nearly a tactical shooter, hell in many ways it is cause it punishes you heavily for stacking and doing retarded shit. If you get a good team in this you will feel operator as fuck. Co-op is often just tacked on in most games but in this they put in some effort and there is a need to work with your teammates and it feels rewarding to work with them, which most co-op games simply lack.

If they made some full on stealth co-op missions and improved upon the scavenging mechanics in co-op it would be an insanely good co-op game instead of just a good co-op game.

The 2012 Syndicate reboot/re-image had fantastic coop multiplayer - but the console releases are completely broken.

Never forget, Sony shat on a lot of their studios and IPs.

>SOCOM
>MechWarrior 3
Why in the fuck does Sony think riding one studio will net them success is Naughty Dog really the only studio they haven't fucked over. I'm forgetting a lot of studios besides that got fucked up by big companies besides EA like Troika and the guys who made Rogue Squadron but the PS3 was the only console with exclusives and interesting ones at that that got raped by those fucking kikes.

This was pretty good.

Tell me something I don't know

I had a lot of fun with it playing with friends anyways, and I was really disappointed when Corruption didn't have a multiplayer mode.Hunters 2 never ever.

The one fucking FPS since Doom that I actually enjoyed, and it had to die like a dog. The worst part is that I saw it coming a mile away. Everyone and his cousin played every game mode like it was CoD deathmatch. Cooperation and teamwork were foreign swear words to the MAG community. The game was not without its faults, though. The horrific balance between factions chased off the few people who played the game as intended, myself included.

no one values your opinions

Bro you had to play without lockon. Made the game way funner.

I never played the multiplayer and enjoyed the hell out of that game. Shameful, but at the time it was such a cool novelty playing the guy from first-person, and with vehicles.

I fucking loved Starhawk. It was one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've had on console. It was just tactical enough to require some intelligence, but understood the limitations of the console and gamepad. Of course, there were of problems, like the 30FPS limit, lack of weapon variety, that stupid companion app, but it is a solid game. It's rather unfortunate that nothing will come out of it.

I miss that game so much. SEVR being overpowered as fuck with the final patches did sorta kill the fun. Pinpoint accurate SMGs and rifles.

I ran with Raven, using that .50 cal anti-material rifle and the variable zoom scope. Absolutely kicked ass. Hipfiring Raven's battle rifle was also pretty damn effective too.

Ace of Spades, before Jagex.
That was such a good game.

Metal Gear Online 2 was and always will be the greatest TPS Multiplayer game in history. Its so crazy how they had character and class customization yet the game was still balanced as fuck. I cant think of a single game that can do that anymore. Maybe R6S but that shit is convoluted as fuck to get into, what with all the tech shit it has.

Mass Effect 3 had a co-op horde mode multiplayer tacked onto it to try to cut down on how many copies got dumped into Gamestop after people finished playing it.
That horde mode was the only fucking thing of value in the whole game; whatever junior dev team ended up with the job made it a labor of love. Sure, it has all the cancerous booster pack DLC bullshit you see in modern shooters, but the gameplay was surprisingly well executed.

I played the shit out of it, just because it was the only time in the whole godforsaken series you could play as the ayys. I loved playing the geth juggernaut and shitting on all the enemies.

I always got a kick out of playing as the Krogan that could use a hammer. Even if it wasn't always the most practical option, smashing shit with a biotic enhanced hammer was just so satisfying.

Volus was great.

Take a hike, kike