Freeshop Gets a DMCA

New drama, barely a week after Pokémon Prism, Nintendo's hounds are now targeting new "infringing" softwares, certain homebrew applications like the Freeshop. Fortunately, the application itself will not be discontinued nor will they be taken to court. Give this another week and it will be brushed off due to lack of actual incriminating evidence, as the images I have state.

Some GBAtemp users here are surprisingly knowledgeable about this sort of thing.

github.com/github/dmca/blob/e4ed44931e5cf8693701461488b597f38e4620d7/2016-12-27-Nintendo.md

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nedwill/soundhax
smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
3ds.titlekeys.com/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, CIAngel works just as well.

Based Nintendo does it again

Nintendo are out of their minds if they think this is going to stop 3DS piracy.

When will they learn that the more they try to stop something; the more widespread it will only get

Hydra?

This, if they somehow managed to disable freeshop completely they'll just be a new homebrew that pops up or the slightly less convenient method of just downloading the .cia from the computer.

Nintentoddlers will defend this.

lmao i have a wii u and im stealing shit from nintendo xd

get out redditor

Bravo Nintendo

The more I read up on this the less I think anything will come of it. Nintendo only really had a claim here due to the use of certain images and such, trivial to sidestep.

Wait but the app still works right? PLEASE RESPOND

Most of ther time shit like this is only being done in order to please some shareholders and show them that they do something activley against their falling sales numbers that are being caused by the evil pirates.
Unless they truly believe that they can win the fight.
Then they're just plain retarded.

These fuckers have figured out how to hack the 3DS using audio files. Fucking audio files. I've never seen a platform with as many entrypoints as the 3DS has. It's like a hacker's playground.

Also freeShop has a way better interface than the actual eShop could ever hope to have. Browsing games is SO fucking fast and easy. I hope they throw it back up with a cooler logo just to spite Nintendo.

Yeah still works as of now

Yes. If you already have it installed they can't do shit.

Which kind of makes me wonder how it took so fucking long before anyone got anywhere with it. Says a lot about the modern homebrew scene I suppose.

You can't make open-source software disappear regardless of whether it's breached any laws. If there's demand for it, someone forks it, slaps on a different name, and and the lengthy, costly legal process starts over from square one. The issue here seems to be things like using the eShop logo, which is no good from a copyright standpoint and begs for DMCA takedown, but you can just swap the art and be 100% kosher, legally.

Someone told me that some group discovered universal root level access regardless of firmware and that youd be able to sign your own trusted apps

Are you not familiar with the 360? Its ridiculous how i used to play XBLG for free and i would use this software on my PC to download the encrypted files from XB Live and use the Halo Reach tools to decrypt them and then share them to the console thru FTP. I was skimming thru the data of XBLA and i found that there was going to be a version of STALKER for the 360 as well as EU3.

This fucking nigger is responsible for all this. During a stream he leaked Freeshop, and since a lot of Nintendo employees watch him, someone took notice.

That would imply that Nintendo weren't already aware of Freeshop before this.

Wait even though this baggy lipped bonobo has money as a youtuber he still feels the need to get games for free? Fuckin niggers.

Alright, this would actually piss me off if they somehow have a case. Cruel really doesn't seem like the type of faggot that would cower in fear of this though.

It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside that Nintendo is getting fucked in the asshole by pirates and this is the best they can do in response. I hope WiiU emulation is perfected before BotW comes out so half their revenue goes down the drain. I think I could die happy if that happened.

you wouldn't too If you had a job user

Too bad retards bought the new pokemon game

Nah, i'm not a nigger just autistic and cant get a job.

Which stream?

you are worse. be strong user. get shit done. clean up. find something and do It.

WHY IS EVERYONE AUTISTIC ON THIS GODDAMN SITE

This is as effective as trying to dodge rain.
The software is now being mirrored everywhere, and this only helps bring more attention to it. Ever heard of Streisand, Nintendo?

Also, point taken about what freeshop actually does - this dmca is dodgy as shit. It's ninty's fault for designing a security system that trusts the key auth on the fucking client device.
Serves 'em right.

Princess Leia vs. Tarkin.

They can't, really. Anyone can make a freeshop clone that does the same thing.
The problem lies with the shitty security system that the 3DS has. It's far, far too late for recovery now.

TBH, the software part of the 3DS was initially well designed. But part of the hardware is where the problem lies - watch smea's presentation (yeah, he's a bit of a dork but it's a good presentation) for more info:

From that point, that was the 'foot in the doorstep' that led to major hacking and disassembly of everything - culminating in the absolute end-of-the-line finisher: Sighax.
Sighax can sign legit firmwares. This means you can make your own CFW, set it as version 99.99 and set up a custom hacked server that provides it… And the 3DS will update to it.

It's game over.

Adding about the update, this would be possible if the communications can be successfully imitated, which for the time being might not be possible.
But right now with sighax it would be possible to simply flash the new CFW by soldering some temp wires to the eMMC NAND chip.

So the 3ds is now hackable regardless of firmware?

Mind telling me more?

Nope. But once you hack it, you can go nuts.

Not yet, but Fasthax should be out soon. You can prep your system for it in the meantime.
github.com/nedwill/soundhax

I hate "le funny screaming negro" man so fucking much.

Because Autists thrive in places where they can just restart when the fuck up socially

It'll be less convenient but we still have FBI. Also freeshop still works right?

Looking through this now, and let me get this straight: if I have a US system, then all I need to do is download these files and run the exploit?

Nintendo are a bunch of niggers.

I'm glad this never happened.

Honestly if Nintendo was smart they'd give up any attempt to try and stop 3ds hacking and divert any effort there to making sure the Switch is hackable

Fuck I mean so the Switch isn't hackable

see

I don't think a single person in this thread is defending it.

Corporations make decisions to appease shareholders, not to actually achieve real-world objectives. Some guy who owns a big chunk of Nintendo but doesn't understand the technical details of 3DS piracy thinks Nintendo should be stopping it, so by God that's what they're going to do.
Can't wait for the Switch to get all its orifices blown wide open within six months.

Niggers do nothing good.

It isn't even about the system itself
The 3ds isn't going to have any title sell over 500,000 at this point unless if they release another Pokemon for it which I doubt
The amount of sales reduced by piracy from this point on is lower than the money that would need to be spent to end it

The recent Pokemon Prism one.

More or less, yeah. Make sure to put the starter kit in your root, too.
smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip

We must kill the shareholders and take their place. Why has no one thought of this before?

this actually makes a lot of sense

Because then Nintendo will be filled up with trap faggotry

Why would I want Nintendo to stop fighting a losing battle against 3DS piracy and focus on the Switch? I'd really like to have CFW on the Switch.

Nintedo's update servers use HTTPS, so it would be extremely hard to spoof an update server.
We'll likely still need 9.2 firmware to get to SysUpdater and update to the custom FWthat has been signed with SignHax.

I'm autistic so that's how I know

Yeah, hence my addendum.

But there's no need for sysupdater. For systems beyond a DGable version you can just hardmod and flash the CFW in along with a customized bootrom that will not care about the crypto. (or if you have a previous nandump you can encrypt it properly and all that)

Sure, if you want to hardmod, but softmods are easier for the general population and generally cost nothing (well, they do now with SoundHax.)

I'm coming to an uncertain patch very soon that will have serious repercussions for my future, but this was the news I needed to make me forget about all of that. Thank you user, this is amazing.

What a time to be alive

True, it's always easier with software based stuff. But for those who don't care about any pesky software limitations, the power is in their hands ready for use, heh.

I remember when I had to temp softmod the PSP2000 with a broken TIFF image file that triggered the chickHEN exploit. Fun times.

I'm just the messenger, you should thank the guys who made this thing in the first place. Good luck with whatever's going to happen.

Are you niggers serious? This shit was more predictable than a fucking direct-to-DVD Disney movie.

People are surprised because it's a dumb, ineffectual move and doesn't target the actual infringing content (the titlekeys, which you can still access and use with several other programs here: 3ds.titlekeys.com/).

Every time Nintendo does something retarded like this someone like you comes around to post this exact same response.
It's fun to laugh at companies doing dumb shit, accomplishing effectively nothing.

What?

Japan said it was shit.

it's funny too since autists are the ones who usually make it a thing by never letting go of said fuck up

You know me well.

Why are you so surprised? XBOX had a playlist handling bug in its music player, generally sanitizing files that are user-controlled is not an easy matter.

And yeah Freeshop works better than eShop.

You cannot sign games or updates as legitimate! The actual signing keys are still safely with Nintendo. You can only generate a malformed signature that looks legitimate to the bootrom because it has a serious bug in how it interprets the signature. Still good but you still have to jump through a few hoops to actually take advantage of it, similar to setting up A9LH.

I'm only buying a Switch if it's hackable.

Oh, so it's a fakesign that still appears legit to the bootrom?
Is this the trucha bug all over again? Good job using strncmp() back then, Nintendo…

I'm going to check the whole stream - gonna have some fun.

Pro may or may not fix that, we'll see. Even if it's shit I don't see it selling less than a million.

We're seeing a new age of gaming.

People are sick and tired of waiting to see the games they want made by the developers that have every ability to make those games. Now the fans will be making the games they always wanted to see. Developers and publishers will no longer be holding gaming back.

Could someone upload the freeshop file

sounds about right

I'll do it

This

It's a good idea to update your title key file and then manually back it up somewhere too. No telling how long that thing is gonna stay up for.

What should we do to him now?

It's even funnier when, in the case of this specific C&D, Nintendo doesn't even have a case and would lose if it went to court. Again, all by their own hand.

I've heard it's not uncommon for large corporations to intentionally file frivolous lawsuits against smaller parties in order to bully them with a barrage of legal fees they couldn't possibly hope to keep up with.

Im not defending it but i can understand why theyre doing it.

poorfags btfo