Why do japs insist on mixing high tech sci fi shit into their fantasy universes?

Why do japs insist on mixing high tech sci fi shit into their fantasy universes?

All the Zelda's are doing it, FF has been doing it for ages, but pretty much every fantasy game they release these days has some "magitech" shit going on, Last Guardian being the latest.

Same reason why every western RPG is a Tolkien clone, it sells.

I wish they were Tolkien clones. Western "high fantasy" is some unbelievable garbage these days.

Just because a setting has elves, dwarves, halflings, humans, and orcs, doesn't make it a "Tolkien clone". It's all about how they are portrayed, and most tend to either try and ape Tolkien or D&D.

Come to /arda/ and/or /tg/, friendo.

it's either embarrassingly derivative or subversive

Even western fantasy is dangerously sci-fi. Like it or not, Elder Scrolls is one of the most popular "RPGs" in the west, and it's chock full of space stations with magic-internet, and cyborgs, and giant mecha battles and shit. And then there's Kirkbride's ideas.

Are you being retarded on purpose ?

Thats a trope older than the sperm in your grandfather's ballsack
In reality there is very little difference between sci fi and magic.

Because japs are uncreative hacks.

Probably because modern fantasy (as in literally normal modern-day Earth except with monsters/magic) is decently popular or at the very least pushed by companies as something trying to get popular, and magitech's really just the logical conclusion of people being able to create machinery as well as use magic. Of course they'd slam the two together at one point or another; hell, magic as infinite sources of natural elements with some words or some items would solve so many problems it's unbelievable.

Plus riding a thin line between sci-fi and high-magic fantasy is fun. Get advanced enough and sci-fi and magic are indistinguishable, after all.

They like it.
They think the aesthetic looks neat.
They think a standard fantasy aesthetic is too derivative.
I personally think meshing Sci-fi and fantasy is 9/10 times incredibly fucking stupid and ugly to look at.
But they keep doing it.
I didn't like it in He-man and Thundercats and I still don't.

I like Spirit Tracks and want more fantasy choo choos.
I'm hoping Fromsoft's next fantasy release will include the important facets from this setting into their work so they can re-achieve the heights of DaS.

This.

It's like you don't even know what Warhammer 40k and Might & Magic are.

Because it's great and makes the most sense?
I mean we managed to go into space even without magic, imagine how much more advanced technology was WITH magic.
That's why.
Also it's cool as fuck.

Because it looks neat, honestly cool and it makes games more fun.

What a faggot.

On the topic of technology in fantasyland, I want more setting with magical trains. Trains are fucking cool no matter where they are and I want more of them. I want a setting entirely based on magic trains.

Choo choo motherfucker

symptoms_of_autism.txt
You're right though, trains are neat. The train chapter in TTYD was cool.

Why do Americans insist on mixing their games with niggers and ugly women?

These questions will never be answered. We will forever search the stars for Truth.

Indeed.

All sci-fi games use bullshit magic anyway, these games are just being honest about it.

Well obviously.

Nobody has any clue to do FTL travel or we'd be building starships right now.
It is science

after all.

What did they mean by this?

Space stations and mech battles? I'm genuinely curious. I've been playig morrowind again and its piqued my interest in ES lore

Because straight fantasy is boring since everything is explained with "It's magic!" and in the end nothing interesting really happens.

The best fantasy shit happens when they either go full autist with rules and detail how magic works or they don't explain anything and it's a mysterious, rarely seen event.

Sci-Fi is just an attemp at not only explain magic but capitalize on it and use it to it's full potential. You're telling me you can summon lightinning bolts and yet nobody is making batteries to store and use them later? You're telling me you can make wands that shoot fireballs and nobody made a rifle that does the same?
It's just applying the industrial revolution to standard magic. It makes sense.

It wouldn't be. If you could solve your problems with magic, there wouldn't be a need for evolution to solve said problems and science would greatly stagnate. Why invent the combustion engine when you can summon a steed out of nowhere?

New problems would probably arrive because of different magical creatures and dangers so the technology would have to move forward eventually.

Go tell that to all the fags afraid of automation and that once robots do all our jobs we will stagnate :^)

I hope robots will eventually replace everyone on Holla Forums.
At least i can reprogram them to have interesting personalities and make good threads, so i don't have to be stuck with you faggots making these INSUFFERABLY SHITTY THREADS every single day shitposting in them always having nothing even remotely intelligent to say, ever.

You mean fags who never read this?

>Not robot waifus that you can shitpost with.

What a fag.

the difference is TES, especially kirkbride's writing is metaphysical as FUCK. The world and its events are fueled by divine influences, forcefully changed by group will, and altered beyond recognition by pure hatred for creation itslef. Taking chunks out of 10 different religious texts and mashing it up into a wonderfully creative world
Japs just say "crystals do it" like they're some sort of deus ex machina that can do anything so long as its story convenient. There's a robot? its made of magic. there's a god? just make it a talking crystal.

Shadowrun is supposed to be borderline comical in my experiences. I'm not sure who takes that setting seriously

the difference is TES, especially kirkbride's writing is metaphysical and FUCK. Taking chunks out of 10 different religious texts and mashing it up into a wonderfully creative world
Japs just say "crystals do it" like they're some sort of deus ex machina that can do anything so long as its story convenient

It sounds like you have only played Final Fantasy in your life. And there are other sci-fi/fantasy western universes between TES.

FF was what I was referencing the most, yeah. Been on an FF binge and goddamn all this fucking megitek and crystal shit is so goddamn boring, I just wish they'd actually try for once

I wish there was a game set in the Malazan world.

I only played the fourth one and I liked it a lot, I heard that VI was good and that it kind of went to shit after VII with some exceptions. What is your opinion?

Because they base their stuff on western RPGs.

I'll admit there are some things I don't like about Malaz

But the general setting is pretty good, as long as you ignore the literal cucking

Final Fantasy as a series revolves around crystals, it has since the original Final Fantasy. Removing crystals from Final Fantasy would be like removing the Triforce from Zelda or the Elder Scrolls from TES. They should make them more interesting or do something with them outside of the "purify the plot device" or "powers the plot device" storyline they've been using since 1987

I will agree that Magitek has become overbearing though.
Just look at Crystal Chronicles, the original was essentially a high-fantasy post apocalypse while Crystal Bearers was set in the distant future and was chock full of Magitek because FF13 was.

1-3 are fairly standard RPGs, but they have good writing. They revolve around crystals, which is boring, but 4-6 had worlds and characters that were interesting.
7-15, with the exception of 9 are all about magitek of some form. Magitek started in 6, but it was fresh and cool back then, with 7 and onward it was just everything. Everyone had some form of it but the big bads had the most. Robot? Magitek. Gun? Magitek. Cannons? Magitek. Crystals= good, magitek= bad is the basic premise of every one of those games.

You don't even know the hardest cucking there is in Malazan.

Kirkbride's writing is more or less just high level /fringe/ shit that's been very well coalesced and had the names changed around.

that's why its good

That you are fucking retard faggot.

Good Fantasy+Scifi settings
- Elder Scrolls
- FF6, FF7
- Arcanum
- Shadowrun
- WH40K
- Shannara novels tv show need not apply

Terrible Fantasy+Scifi settings
- FF10, FF13, FF15
- Spelljammer
- Anything else by the gooks

Because Final Fantasy did it

that includes Evangelion :^)

The answer is Jews, and you know it, kike.

Ultima and Wizardry franchises have done it too, if I'm not mistaken.

What's wrong with that?
It makes far more sense than having generic medieval style fantasy worlds existing for eons with literally no technological progression whatsoever.
"Magic" would logically form a pretty good basis to power all kinds of awesome technology nd machinery on.

Until recently, a pretty hefty chunk of merican and western fantasy in general was technically post-apocalyptic settings. Like the Sword of Shannara series, that weird movie "Wizards", Thundarr the barbarian, Stormlands, Canticle for Lebowitz, Planet of the Apes, etc. etc.

Like, we blew it all up, we maniacs, and now there's orc mutant

I guess they mostly got bored of that after the cold war ended, though it still pops up here and there, like Adventure Time or Waterworld.

Now that's gay

Something I have to say I liked with the setup for Star Ocean (First Departure, anyhow), is that the technology the Terran have is so futuristic that it surpasses the Fellpool's magic to the point that the ones that meet them initially are very clear that they think the humans have to be gods of some sort, as stuff like teleporters and even moving walkways (as seen on their ship) are the sort of things they wouldn't have imagined being possible before.

Nips have a very interesting infatuation with 'an ancient evil awakens' and it should interest anyone with a long history to their peoples. A lot of unexplained things happened a long ass time ago and the reason sci fi is mixed in for nips is because it's really fun to think that millennia ago there were beings much more advanced then ourselves. They've seen so many different cultures exist that make up their own and they're all vibrant and fierce, yet still there is a tiny bit unexplained even today. With so much atheism yet surrounded by superstition they will add the lack of knowledge of their ancient history tantalize their imagination.

Dunno about space stations, but there's some dwarven robots.

The Battlespire was a Imperial space station. It was crouched in language of being between the planes of Nirn and Oblivion - but "planes" in ES are literally other planets. It's where the empire trained it's battlemages. There was even a teleporter called the Weir Gate that beamed you up to it.

And aside from Pelinal being a cyborg elf-terminator from the future, there was also Sotha Sil, who was a cyborg god, and created a clockwork city where he created bio-mechanical fabricants.

I liked the way Phantasy Star did it, but they used magic as a rare and lost art, and by PSII & PSIV's time, magic was being used as a subversive and unpredictable force to counter their technology. Dark Force was threatening in a very Lovecraftian way - because it rendered all of the Algolians modern spacefaring technology more or less useless in stopping the dark god's revival. You had to seek out and rediscover special magical weapons and armor to hope to stand a chance against Dark Force. They fucked this up in PSU by reducing magic to a common-place physical property of the universe called Photons and used them to power pretty much every aspect of their technology, which WERE effective against Dark Force/Falz since they were literally using the remains of a dead god as kind of fossil fuel to fight a reviving god with. (not that it matters, because it turns out that friendship is totally magic and you can manifest miracles if you just believe in yourself and your friends hard enough).

This, really. You have to remember that JRPGs are in many ways (like much of Japanese popculture) an evolutionary window into the early days of WRPGs.

Most of the major WRPG franchises of the '80s had extensive SF elements underneath their surface appearance as high fantasy settings. Ultima involved time travel, spaceship dogfights, conquest of IRL earth, and an evil supercomputer; Wizardry was chock full of space aliens; Might & Magic's entire setting is revealed to be giant spaceships mistaken for worlds, and various feuding creator dieties to actually be Transformers-style robot gods.

Of course, all this fell by the wayside as the WRPG market gradually shifted to licensed adaptations of more straightforwardly fantasy-only/SF-only tabletop settings during the '90s, before gradually withering away in the face of the MMO genre by the 2000s.

The reason this wasn't downplayed as much in Japan is because these games' localizations achieved a tremendous cult following among Japanese game developers on their PC platforms (PC-8801, MSX, FM-7, X1, etc.), who attempted to directly port their experience as players into the console format, emphasizing every bit of quirkiness.

Always kind of neat to have a series where something to do with the chronology renders something once common rare and strange, and/or something that was rare much more prevalent as time passes. Kind of like how the Dragons dwindle between Breath of Fire I and III, to the point that Ryu in III is pretty much the only member of the brood left.

Been meaning to get into Phantasy Star in the future myself. How do Phantasy Star Generatioons I and II compare with their counterpart original versions?

this is not entirely correct. Planes in TES are planets, but they are also dimensions. Every plane is infinite, even Nirn, with no end, and only appear spherical to mortal minds. They are physical as well as spiritual realms, and are also the bodies of the gods that rule them.
There is no simple explanation for what they are. The Battlespire, as well as the khjit moon colonies, are floating in Oblivion, which is both empty space and a dimension of cosmic horror. Imagine if Warhammer 40k's Warp and Realspace were the same thing, not twin dimensions stuck to each other, but literally one object. it itself is a pocket inside the pure magical energy of creation, which spills out of the sun, which in turn is not an object, but a hole in the side of oblivion opening up into Aetherius.
And then of course everything is actually a dream inside the mind of the Godhead.

I happen to like that shit.

I thought the Battlespire was in the upper atmosphere of whatever the main planet is called, and it was magically anchored to the magical plane or something?

Because Sci-fi shits all over gay goblins, orcs etc.

Nirn isn't infinite though, it has an end because it is the mortal plane.

Atlantis sinking was real bro.

Be careful what you wish for.

Then go back to reddit

You misunderstand, OP. Modern sci-fi IS the fantasy. People expect that everything is explainable and definable and exploitable through the almighty power of science. There aren't really any huge mysteries about how shit works anymore. We've solved the speed of light, cracked the secret of gravity, and even know how (fucking) magnets work. Any grand accomplishments are explained this way through basically a modern version of magic, where instead of saying "A wizard did it", you say "A scientist did it". It's not levitation, it's anti-gravity, for example. Either way, it's some arcane art that few people understand but that can do amazing things. The themes and plot points are all starting to converge into the exact same thing, where the only significant difference is the setting. If it's on Earth, it's fantasy; if it's space, it's sci-fi. You can take your stereotypical fantasy archetypes and put them on a spaceship, and it's still sci-fi.

Seconded.
Sci-fi is fantasy with metal and other planets.

wait, whats the original ?

*Forgotten Realms clone

Most fantasy has precious little to do with Tolkien's works and races.

FR, not Tolkien. Tolkien's elves were Nordic supermen with a penchant for crafting things and holding grudges. Also drank strong as fuck wine.
FR, not Tolkien. Tolkien's dwarves were Jews as Tolkien perceived them (idealistically).
FR and/or Warcraft, not Tolkien. Tolkien's orcs were industrious and skilled craftsmen even if their work was ugly, and reasonably capable in sorcery, compared to humans anyway. They were also smaller than humans, and their militaries (at least under Sauron) were more organized.

I'm about three quarters of the way through House of Chains atm. The writer's pretty good, the world is cool, but goddamn, the feminism is jarring. Fucking Wheel of Time had less jarring feminism than this.

If you think about it as if you were a writer, it let's you tap into two sets of tropes instead of just fantasy, and you can make the 2 sides fight. Angels without demons would be a boring universe, hence how the bible was written to have a gay antagonist (just so there would be one. )

Where was Atlantis then? The Japanese had a great Jomon empire that disappeared but where in the west was there a great city now submerged.

Who wouldnt harness the power of magic to innovate?

It's the same except 'I've made a robot that screams!' and the robot screams aaaah instead of rape.

I dunno, I feel like both Western and Jap devs are kinda missing something here in this sci-fi/fantasy axis. Like there's a third or even more other corners of a polygon instead of an axis, just waiting for someone a brave soul to discover them.

crump

ERO

Yeah Kirkbride is pretty clearly a religious studies major given free reign on a fantasy universe but it works Beautifully.

Is Arcanum sci-fi when most of the technology is pre-digital? It's more steampunk, before steampunk became insufferable.

I don't know user, they are the most useless fucking items in the game and only serve as a lore point. Not even sure why they made them actually appear in the game, I always liked the idea of the scrolls being the games themselves, as you could make the story unfold in a variety of ways.

doggerland

No man, I mean a whole new aesthetic paradigm, just beyond reach. It's weird.. You ever see maybe a film or anime or whatever and you were ecstatic at a new way of presenting things that was completely unthought of by you? It's like that but much bigger.

Dunno about religious studies, but he is a Grant Morrison fanboy.

In most fantasy universes, magic isn't all that easy to learn. The common person isn't going to devote years of their lives to summon horses when they have to worry about putting food on the table. It's just like in the real world. Computers and machinery are deeply ingrained in everyday life, but most people don't take the time to learn about programming or engineering if it's not a part of their job. Technology would still be created to accommodate the people who don't use magic.

There's also the fact that there are limits to what a single magic user can do. Some settings make magic consume the caster's energy. Magitek would have the advantage of using energy from an external source or increasing the efficiency of the user's own magic. In the real world, we could run everywhere, but we still invented bikes so we could move faster while using less energy.