Does anyone else feel that big budget RPGs are dead...

Does anyone else feel that big budget RPGs are dead? It seems to me that these days every big developer is peddling "cinematic" experiences at the expense of better RPG mechanics and deeper choice and consequence; voiced protagonists with clearly defined backgrounds and linear storylines like in Fallout 4 and The Witcher 3, which are basically action-adventure games with RPG trappings.

Games like Fallout: New Vegas and VTMB had a pretty good blend of first person immersion and roleplaying, but it looks like it's very unlikely we'll see anything like them again. In recent years if you wanted a decent RPG experience you had to play isometric indie RPGs developed on a shoestring budget or funded by a kickstarter campaign full of half-baked promises; The Age of Decadence, UnderRail, Wasteland 2, etc.

In a certain sense it's a positive: creativity, good writing, and good RPG mechanics matter more when you're making an old-timey isometric RPG where graphics take a back seat. In another sense, I find it really depressing that good RPGs will basically be stuck in the isometric 1990s for the foreseeable future.

big budget anything is dead, fam

RPGs is where it hurts the most, famalam.

I don't even know how it is possible to fuck something up this bad. They had to counsciously decide every day of development to make a worse game than the first one, otherwise I don't know how you can fuck up something you only have to touch up to make better.

Video related, it's one of the best vidya themes.

Much like what happened to MMOs with WoW, after Skyrim you gotta have certain things to attract the casual audience. Things which, if handled badly, impede the actual roleplaying.

But let's not fool ourselves, this isn't about design quality, this is about getting the console audience. If the pigs want their slop, so be it.

The console crowd loved Origins, yet Bioware thought Dragon Age 2 was a good idea. Nobody asked for it and the sequel ended up being garbage.

Playing DA2 feels like playing a korean MMO.

It's sad times when the best RPG experience in recent memory was made by a single mostly-chiptune composer with help from his girlfriend.

The last good major-company RPG was Revenant Wings on the DS.

I feel this way with JRPGs mostly, I've never really dabbled in WRPGs outside of 30 hours of New Vegas which I'm sure isnt even scratching the tip of the ice berg. All I want is something with FFXV's visuals with the gameplay mechanics from something like 5, or something resembling the intro cinematics of the DS games, is that too hard to ask?

Try FF9 or FF12. People bitch about the combat in 12, but it's generally fun. 13 is a corridor, 13-2 makes zero fucking sense and has retarded characters, and Lightning Returns is a frustrating shitpile.

Nothing made in any RPG Maker version ever has been any good (with the sole exception of Ib). Prove me wrong.

What about Yume Nikki?

I'm sorry, but I play games to become less depressed. Yume 2kki was the same shit.

With the current pool of retards that call themselves hardcore "gamurs" that play such rpgs as fallout 4 and DI:Cisquistion it will not get better until the year 2020 when that pool of retards either leave the hobby or life, hopefully or accept that games can actually be in depth.

Nigger, you are aware that the current crop of children idolize streamers like Markiplier, right?

Knowing that, what do you think the next generation of RPGs will be like?

Youtube was a mistake

A-hem

And those group of people are collectively losing their shit that a pussy grabber is the next president of the US. The other side is starting to yell back and if the trend continues then the leftycucks will no longer be a dominant force in media. Twitter is dying, Jewtube/Google is getting so desperate for shekels even the normalfags are seeing it, leftycuck indoctrinated games are selling as fast as pork in israel. There will still be shit games that will push an agenda but they are already dying and by 5 or so years we will be seeing the signs of better vidya practices.

Agenda pushing and lazy shit for lazy people are two different problems.

there's also

Define RPGs first.
Last bioshit RPG was DAO

It's still funny.

It was remade and finished in Game Maker, though.

Like I said, vidya will only get better once the cucks that push agendas over making vidya finally leave my hobby after they get bullied out. This is not a hard concept. To fix vidya, you have to fix the normalfags.

what song

Speaking of RPGs, when was the last time we had character archetypes? I liked that each character were set in their roles and their special attacks/magic/ability matched their personality/background. Most RPGs I've played usually have 'jack-of-all-trades' for all characters which irks me a little. Nothing wrong with that, it just gets old.
Final Fantasy 6 was one example I enjoyed, as well as Final Fantasy 9. Tales series had those too.
Hell, some free RPGmaker games have a few interesting concepts like Forever's End with a drunken swordmaster that changes from physical to magic via drinking alcohol during battle or in menu out of battle. There's even a goblin merchant that uses its own stock (not using your items) to attack enemies. The game is still in development for years unfortunately.