Games for children

What kids age 6-10 play those days, except minecraft? Disney Infinity and Skylanders? Are those games actually good in terms of their gameplay, like platformers?

Or they are casual as fuck compared to what we used to play? Just curious what you as a parent would give to play your children.

Minecraft and Candy Crush.

Just about any game with an anime artstyle. If you're above the age of 14 and playing that shit you need to kill yourself.

Low energy bait.

Never buy your kid skylanders, he will rape your wallet.

Anyway, no suggestions?

Oh

I hear the Lego games are pretty good

Which ones?

I don't know, that's just what I hear.

Skylanders is a pretty fun brawler. It's a bit deeper than you would expect and it has several difficulties that can make it pretty difficult. Though of course the game is mostly dlc kikery. The only upside to this is that newer games are backwards compatible with old toys. They do get pretty cheap when they age, but still dlc kikery.

Disney Infinity is just shit. That's why it's discontinued.

If you've played lego star wars you've pretty much played any modern lego game. There are usually a few different types of characters to swap between (ones that have ranged attacks, ones that can use [superpower name here], ones that can fit through small spaces etc) and you use them to complete puzzles. On the first playthrough of a level you can only use the characters specified for a level, but afterwards you can pick from your pool of unlocked characters and swap to them at will. The levels generally also have areas only accessible to certain kinds of characters, and getting to them usually lets you access things that unlock more characters and sometimes secret levels.

They are also very casual friendly, because the only penalty to dying is losing some lego studs (the currency that you gather which you can use to unlock some things) which you can quickly regather after respawning. They've also tried jumping onto the skylanders route by making lego dimensions, but I'm not sure how cancerous they've made it to incentivise people to buy things.

lego isn't that bad at all, skylanders is a fun gauntlet type of game but the separate figure costs are crazy, unless you are smart and buy that shit used. infinity is dead.

Lego Dimensions is awful in regards of blocking paths off and saying "Get a figure of this variety to see past here!". Friend of mine mentions that you can get through pretty much all paths with a minimum of 5 or so figures that covers all the categories, but that's a shitty method, regardless. This is on top of needing to purchase expensive packs for new areas.

I wonder if they'll do a Disney Infinity and release a gold version with most if not all characters unlockable in game when the money well dries up

How's Lego Marvel's Avengers?

Does it have to be something modern? Anything from the 2D-console era would be great for children this young. Get them a NES mini, or better yet: put an emulator on a single-board computer and load it with a bunch or ROMs.

Modern games are way overloaded in my opinion. Super Mario Bros. is a perfect "baby's first video game".

My nephew played a lot of Nintendo stuff when he was that age. Zelda and Mario and shit.
I'd call him casual by my standards but my dad jumped me from Tonka Construction to Jane's Longbow 2 and USAF with no in-between. When nephew was jumping on mushroom whatevers I was flying CAS in Vietnam and swatting Mig-29s over Iraq

When i was a kid i played a lot of beat'em ups like double dragon, streets of rage, final fight, knights of the round, sengoku 3, rushing beat, ninja warriors, combatribes and other shit like that.
It's full of action that kids love, and it also only has one path which ensures they never get lost, it's the perfect game for kids.

ask the kid, you dumbass

Can't go wrong with Nintendo. Pick up a Wii U and just throw whatever looks like it would be good for a kid. Not skylanders tho. The game is probably fine, but it gets expensive. My friend's kid has like 200 of em, at like 6 bucks a pop. It's too expensive too quick. Something like smash bros to teach them reaction time, something like the new super mario series to teach them precision.

Little kids like games where they can fool around, without being constricted by mission objectives or progression. Essentially turning any genre into sandbox.

They don't seem to feel rewarded by challenging gameplay: they might enjoy it, but sparsely and soon after switch that game for something less advanced. If Steam had gaming time plans like "play 1 hour of any game for a month", that would be perfect for kids. They would enjoy the intro, play through the first couple of levels and drop it.

Of course they flock to anything anime, but that's because cartoons look fun. Unlike weebs, they won't stick to them when they become repetitive and moe for the sake of it. The real problem with kids, is to limit their exposure to sexual imagery which is prevalent in different ways in both western and japanese games. You don't want them to interact with faggotry, but neither oogle at boobtastic animu all day long (precocious kids are a sign of poor parenting, and in the youtube age they become lunatic spazs).

t. parent of a 10 yo

GTA is great to play with kids, it just needs supervision. Mine drives around and simply explores the places, no less no more than jumping all the way through Orgrimmar to see it all.

And zero fucks given when he crashes into a wall and over pedestrians. When it happens, the countdown starts to the moment the police will take him down, so it's really a rush to see how long he can last.

You seem like very responsible parent. Those days you are a rare beast.

I'm disappointed in you, Holla Forums.

dark souls

They all play Mineycrafta, Skylanders, CS:GO, CoD and LoL.

But they should be playing these, because I've played them when I was but a wee lad:
Spider-man 1, 2 and Ultimate
Shawntey
X-Com : Enforcer
Disney's Tarzan and Hercules on PS1
Anything LEGO
Neighbours from Hell
Warioland games (or anything on the NES/Genesis/TurboGFX for that matter)
Postal 2 I played that alongside Serious Sam and turned out just fine