Maplestory

MapleRoyals is getting a source-code update on New Year's, and despite the migrations to various other private servers over the course of Holla Forums's MS career it's probably the most stable/least cancerous one, so Maplestory thread.

What private servers you playin' on? Still play GMS or any other official branch of the game? Favorite class? Favorite area? Favorite PQ or questline?

Other urls found in this thread:

mapleroyals.com/?page=download
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I stopped playing this game when I realized it was a giant waste of my time.

So's every other video game.

The most fun I had with this game is getting a cannon and beating monsters to death with it.

But this one specially felt like a waste of time. Like very little changes with a lot of work put into it. It felt like an mmo… wait… it IS an mmo!

Probably you're remembering the Cannoneer class which was a fun take on Pirates.

MS is set apart a bit by being 2D and focusing on exploration (or at least it used to) but otherwise it falls into a lot of the same trappings as conventional MMOs, yeah. Especially with GMS where it's more a singleplayer dick-waving game with how high your numbers can get due to power-creep, rather than emphasizing and encouraging having balanced parties and making buddies.

New sauce? More like never ever.
Did those sons o bitches got to fix all issues with paladins, buccaneers and shadowers like everyone and their grannies suggested in the forums?
Or did they just shove aside all suggestions because 'lolz nobody plays dose clases anyway xdddddd' as they always do?

Are the admins still humongous sjew faggots banning whoever dares talking shit about the core group of asslicking orbiters they have?

Nah, this was after they got rid of the class but before they got rid of the cannon drops. An enemy dropped one and I just ran around smacking monsters with a cannon that I couldn't fire.

Oh, right, cannon's a holdover from when they were less anal-retentive about classes having super-specific equips like most of the new classes do. Nobody can use Demon Avenger's transparent sword, for instance.

I'll see if I can't drum up a changelog for the new source, but it seems pretty certain it's coming out New Years with how long they've had that open beta in place and the timer on the forums.

First I've heard of it, I don't use the MR forum for anything besides account support and I can't remember the last time I saw a player banned in-game.

Well it got pretty bad about 1.5~2 years ago, fags stealthily b& anyone who ever dared oppose their bullshit. I'm talkin about random dudes joking around and getting banned for it.

What really worries me though, is the fact that they tend to shove aside all suggestions for proper balance on classes underdog classes that really need it; such as lightning charge overlapping other charges as paladongers and decreasing the delays between skills for buccaneers. It's bullshit and it always made me butthurt.

You keep tempting me with these threads every now and then, fagget. Last time I played was with a Holla Forums guild from 4chan, which was pretty fun, but at the end it was just the same old stuff I got bored with on the other private servers. Too much grind with too little reward/things to do other than grind and eventually other games take my interest away from it entirely.

I don't remember if this was on MapleRoyal but I remember one server dicking around with custom weapon stats or weapon levels or some fuckery like that, which at least seemed somewhat interesting and 'new'.

What are they going to change with this update?

All I want is a relatively vanilla server that doesn't require a bunch of SQL patches and bullshit to get running and going. If I want to play WoW, it's as easy as downloading a repack, extracting some RARs, and running a batch file. I got a MS server running, but it was a bitch and a half and didn't work well enough to play in any capacity, since the majority of NPCs (including and especially Taxis) didn't work.
It's a real shame, too, because MapleStory is a game conducive to playing solo, whereas something like WoW isn't. Alas.

I do remember them completely ignoring suggestions towards certain classes, unfortunately. Either they're stealthily banning for thought-crime to this day and I've never noticed or they've cleaned up their act; I've seen several mods come and go going by my sporadic dives into the forum.

I can't actually find a complete changelog for differences between open beta/new source and currently-running MR (apparently one doesn't exist), but eventually I'll compile my own for reference purposes. So far I'm finding a catastrophic amount of under-the-hood changes for server stability, keeping character data from corrupting (ie through a face or hair data that doesn't exist being set as the character's), other quality-of-life improvements for the end-user and server operator.

MR's pretty damn vanilla and works out of the box, install file is here. mapleroyals.com/?page=download

Only sweeping changes to it as compared to the game version it's modified from are 4x EXP, 2x drop-rate/mesos dropped, and getting NX for cash-shop cosmetics and stuff like AP resets by doing a vote for them in a top-servers group, though you don't actually have to vote for them as the 8k NX you get for doing so is automatically given just for clicking the redirect link for the top-100 site. Only pay-for aspects are cosmetics from future Maplestory versions.

I loved this game, every pserver I ever played was C&D though in no time, also the admins are usually massive faggots

You misunderstand, I mean self-hosting, not playing someone else's. Hosting a MS server is a veritable clusterfuck. I misread the OP as source-code release, as in, the server's source is being released for use by other people. My mistake, but my point still stands.

This is one huge misconception. If you gained enjoyment, feeling of accomplishment or any other positive emotion, then your time was in fact spent productively, as you gained more endorphins than you otherwise would.

Arguably, even if you gained negative emotions from something like a lost match or game over screen, it's still positive in the end as controlled amounts of stress and anger helps your organism produce testosterone, which most Holla Forumsirgins severely lack.

Any good 2D games/MMOs that are similar to MapleStory? There really aren't many games like it. I'm pretty sure part of the reason for its popularity is that it had little competition in what it did. (Either that or people forget that a lot of players had multiple accounts for item storage or leech.) I had 8 because I made a bunch for various referral events. I eventually re-purposed them as storage/skill mules.

I enjoyed the MapleDestiny guild before it fell apart. Problem is that the server is dead as fuck because it's not nostalgic enough for a lot of players, but it has more content, higher EXP bonus, and is somewhat more balanced. (Would have been better if the post-wipe server didn't have a retarded nerfing system, but it's unfortunately the most popular v83 server.) That and a bunch of core players got banned for vote fraud. Royals wants to add shit from v83, but at the same time not add certain shit because muh nostalgia. Both servers have a circlejerk of core players, but I don't know which server it's worse on.
I always come back to this shit every few months or years, but the private servers still have part of the same shitty community that vanilla had. (damage whores, hene/FM whores, NX-equip fags, etc.)

I think every server pretty much develops their own server mostly from scratch. Don't expect that to change anytime soon, especially when everyone hosts a variety of different base versions with a variety of content changes between the the different base versions.

So chances something that will change up the gameplay a bit will be added are low? Shame.

Not that I know of. Maplestory was/is pretty unique in that respect. Don't know if I'd call it a good game so much as an addictive one. The pixel art and music was pretty damn good though though.

That's how I feel about it. It's a unique game that managed to at least somewhat satisfy its own niche it created. I'd love if someone were to take the idea and improve on it, but that's wishful thinking. Even more so with MapleStory 2 being 3D. (Is anyone here looking forward to MapleStory 2 or at least keeping up with news? I keep forgetting that it exists.)

As far as I know there's also a hell of a lot of stuff changed around for existing classes and all that (I remember quite a few class balances and skill fixes touted) as well as some PQs working as they should + new PQs from v83, but I'm still having a bit of a time actually parsing through everything to make an effective changelog.

Not really interested. What little I saw of it seemed kind of neat, but it's not for me.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.