Thinking about picking up chrono trigger

i want to pick up classic rpgs. only got a ds to play it on. thinking about picking up chrono trigger. is it as good as people tell me or should i buy something else?

You can play it on the device you're currently using to post with for free.

It's definitely worth playing, but emulate it my dude.

Just emulate it fam. It's worth playing.

This.

Great game, and just emulate it.

get something else unless you want a baby's first JRPG, then by all means

Overhyped weebshit. But it's free so if you have a few hours to waste you can see just how bad it is yourself.

Emulate it. Pick the SNES version for maximum screen-to-game size
OR
If your screen rotates, pick the DS version for better interface, bugfixes, better audio, etc.
Thye only downside of the DS version is that the SFX of the "Luminaire" skill was downgraded miserably.

How the fuck was I supposed to know to go into the bush to find the frog man?

Well, you're probably from a generation that grew used to games holding your hands and pointing the directions every time.
If that's the case, you may have learned why "old gamers" (what a cringe thing to say) hate modern games.
And Chrono Trigger isn't even challenging regarding this.

GODDAMN SON JUST PLAY THE FUCKING THING.

kek

Not really. I grew up with the old shit like Duck Hunt, but I skipped the SNES and went straight to the N64. Even then though, games were more like this where you had to wander around and figure out what to do on your own. I miss that shit man, I've been playing through Chrono Trigger and FFIX, and I've had more fun with those two games than anything in recent memory.

Holy fuck! Its acclaimed as a genre defining classic for more than 20 years. Were the fuck have you been? Just obtain it any way you want if you can't afford the DS port that is one of the more expensive DS games out there.

>or should i buy somehow scrooge together something else?
How about starting with FF V then? But seriously, if you find Chrone Trigger for DS for a reasonable price, get it. Otherwise, emulate it. All physical copies of it are usually pretty expensive. SNES games are ballbreaking expensive, because some idiotic speculators decided to jump ship to the used games market, because apperently, ruining comics wasn't enough.

chrono trigger is easy, really no part of the game is remotely difficult, the music is kinda bland (what you could expect from the super nintendo), few of the story moments really stand out and you probably won't find yourself particularly invested in any of the characters. They are all very shallow.

It's done a few innovative things but really the game has some of the most pretentious fans around. It's not that great.

You just sound conceited. I didn't play it until I was 22 or so and had played dozens of JRPGs from shit to god tier along the years, and CT really shone through.

/thread

It blended in pretty well to other 16-bit squaresoft rpgs.

it's the SNES, you can't do much to help it.

You clearly never played this game. I'm convinced that you're LARPing here.

It's the same as every other Square JRPG ever made.

you've found the one track that actually stands out. Zeal was neat but despite being such a cool location visually the game pretty much does nothing with it. Real shame, would have liked an actual town to run around in instead of a half-assed world map representation and a few interiors. Wasted potential there. Anyway lets compare two JRPG recurring songs, the chrono trigger battle theme which you'll be hearing a ton - something that gets grating the first time you hear it because of how absolutely boring it, and its tinny samples sound. Gotta love that high pitched moaning and two bass notes, so epic, gets you so excited for a mediocre spam basic attack battle.

Have you actually played any JRPGs besides square ones? Maybe valkyrie profile?

More like every single track is good, it's one of the most appraised soundtracks ever created, acclaimed troughtout the industry.
It may have been Yasunori Mitsuda's and Nobuo Uematsu's magnum opus.

You cannot convince me by spouting generic shit.
You've never played this game, and yes, I've played Valkyrie Profile, it's also a marvellous game.

Seriously, I'm not saying Chrono Trigger is the best thing thing ever, but it's a good game with an incredible soundtrack.
And you clearly don't know what you're talking about and don't want to lose face in an anonymous internet imageboard.

I'm not one to shit on someone for not liking something popular, but this is clearly bait.

Chrono trigger more like Chrono NIGGER

Get a load of this guy.
Actually, fuck you.

I've completed it, it's nothing that special. I also said it's not the best thing ever, pointed out some flaws, and said it's not that great. I think it's a good game - the soundtrack is nothing special. The SNES has some unfortunate limitations and chrono trigger's soundtrack is largely crippled by it, but even then a lot of the compositions are pretty bland. What are some story moments that actually stood out to you? Some noteworthy battles? I can't think of anything that compares to Atolm dragon, the guardian dragon, grig orig and infested grig orig from panzer dragoon saga. The first and only RPG by that team.

xenogears and chrono cross both have better soundtracks

To anyone here who like Chrono Trigger, there was a spin-off for PS1 called "Chrono Cross".
Also a very very good game and underappreciated.

it also inflates some of the problems of square soft SNES rpgs, such as no distinguished characters.

I rather liked the three-on-three fight between Magus' henchmen as well as the fight with Magus, Tyrano and every single form of Lavos feels really nice to fight, simply because they are intimidating in their own way.
As far as story is concerned, even the early game hooks you with a neat and simple time travel scenario. I also liked first being introduced to the future, with its stark contrast to the color and vibrancy of everything before it.
And even though the composition is simple and being held back by the SNES, it still portrays mood very well for just about every setting. But I can understand someone's distaste for tracks like the standard battle and boss themes.

Oh my god, never I've seen such pile of crap.
Chrono Trigger's whole soundtrack is great - pick any music you want.
The SNES too, produced many of the most memorable VGM since, such as FF6's, Terranigma's, Zelda ALttP's, loads of Castlevania's, Shin Megami Tensei's, Tales of Phantasia's, etc

mostly because they're so fucking boring. It's like generic jrpg music they had lying around for the sfc and said fuck it, it'll do.

I found the future uninteresting, and there was little to do. Some of the gimmicky things like the race were kinda neat but like a lot of the game before and after it, there really isn't any challenge involved. The future is also where Square's mastery of palette swaps becomes offensively evident, like they really couldn't give a shit at that point and it was so early in the game.

To me, a track portraying a mood is the bare minimum. Something that when you hear it, recalls a moment, and even a feeling outside of that context of experiencing the original is much more impactful. Something like you'd hear in FF7 - a lot more staying power and absolutely recalls a moment, the context and everything leading up to the event where certain points of the song hit, shifts in the track that line up with certain events. Far better than anything in chrono trigger. Honestly apart from Zeal I don't see me recalling just about anything from my play through of chrono trigger, and I only beat it a few years ago. I honestly think I can only recall Zeal's theme because I've heard it so many fucking times.

Some from Terranigma.

Listen to this one with a heavy-bass speaker.

Kid a shit

Gee i dunno

I think you may be talking in personal tastes or nostalgia mang

Wasn't Chrono Cross the direct sequel?
I know that at first it looks completely different, but there are some big connections between the two stories.