Turn Based Tactical games with 3D movement

I'm not sure why but I've got a really big boner for turn based tactical games with 3D free movement.
The most obvious example is Valkyria Chronicles and two other I enjoyed but that blew under the radar are Natural Doctrine and Lost Dimension. Is there anything else similar to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mordheim is the only other game I can think of

I actually really, really enjoyed Lost Dimension when I played it. Too bad it bombed just as hard in the west as it did in Japan.

Look up Dual Gear

The latest Neptunia game had this
Theres also Dragon Quarter.

Oh yeah, Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force has this. Despite it being >Compile Heart it's pretty good.

Valkyria Chronicles, if you can stomach always being stuck with worst girl.

Same. It's very budget but I enjoyed the gameplay and the creative use of esper abilities.

I always dismissed this for being Compileshit but I might give it a second chance now when I can just pirate it on PC.

Just remembered these myself but there were 3 shining games on the PSP with a toned down version the VC combat system

Wait what? I thought there were only 2.

Resonance of Fate.

I'm glad you like it OP, and everyone has already mentioned a bunch of these games, but personally I find the concept tremendously flawed because OTS / FPS view means you can't see all the relevant tactical information, but the enemy can.

Even XCOM1 suffers from this a little bit, the 3D aspect forces you to noodle with the camera to make sure you see everything

Uhhh, Final Fantasy 12? Am I understanding this right?

I don't actually know about Natural Doctrine but from what I'm seeing it's the same. Great start.

Phantom Brave has it, and i think it got ported to pc recently. I dont know anything about the quality of the port but you can just emulate it with ppsspp anyway.

Our universe isn't even 3D user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle

It's real time.

Mordhiem I suppose?

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M plays pretty much the same as Valkyria Chronicles. Except you control only 4 squad members on any given map.

Correct. There's 3 shining games but only 2 of them use the vc inspired combat system.

Yeah you're correct but if vertical level design counts both VC and Natural Doctrine covers that. Turn based 3D view with free movement might be a better way to describe it. Or just games with something similar to BLiTZ (VC combat system).

Can't the japs put some effort into their games? That's pathetic.

It even has the Wil Wheaton stamp of approval.

That doesn't even mean that. Holographic theory simply means every "slice" of the universe contains enough information to reconstruct the entire universe from it.

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn has 3D movement. Being higher or lower than your opponent affects your accuracy.

That's the game with all the guns, right? My friend got it but it looked a little too grindy for me.

Japs put their effort into waifus, not enemies.

Yeah. And I admit, it's a little grindy, but it looks hella good.

Yeah it's always the japs who do shit games

They look like they belong on the DS

I think you need some feminism and social justice in your life. Western devs are right up your alley.

Games like Factorio and Dorf Fortress are infinitely better. Their graphics are much better than this too because they serve the gameplay appropriately. This game is trying to be flashy and looks trashy.

It's Xmas day and my bday as well, I'm not going to get baited as easily. Happy holidays.

The graphics serve the game very well. It would be an inferior game without the ascii.

Eternal sonata had something decent, but the later battle modes are timed.

Valerie profile 2 never played the first one.
Trails of cold steel.
Breath of fire 4 if I remember correctly.
Parasite Eve 1

It has adam baldwin also so I dunno if that cancels out wheaton

Animating all the things dwarves could do wouldn't make sense. The ascii does. It's about using your imagination and the designer understands that.

The grind only happens if you screw up and spend the wrong color hex spaces not knowing you'll need them later to open up more of the map to progress. The obvious problem is you won't know you'll need them until it's time.
Some side quests are pretty bad, but you can skip those. Specifically the one that requires mannequin parts is horrible, but maybe you'll get lucky and get enough of them before the quest becomes available. Just don't sell them until that quest is finished or abandoned.

Seriously thank you user, Mordheim is really awesome. Have a great new year.

Only one I can think of atm that has not been mentioned already would be Hogs of War for the PS1.

Trails series is big on this feature. Eternal sonata sort of has this system except each turn is timed. Operation: Darkness for the 360 uses this. It's werewolves vs vampires in WW2.

Only the nightmare land , which you unlock after beating the game, will you have to really grind. Mostly as all enemies are level 100 and above.