What genre do you hate the fucking most, think it's overdone to death, and wish it would die already?

What genre do you hate the fucking most, think it's overdone to death, and wish it would die already?

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/dungeondoom
gamewatcher.com/mods/doom-3-mod/dungeondoom-8-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What genre do you love the fucking most, think it's underused to death, and wish it would revive already?

Zombies. Reduced from the unliving but not quite dead mass terror that is an actual threat to a brainless mindless fodder like its diehard fans and backdrop for moronic drama.

Also day-in-a-life or slice of life needs to die along with it. They focused too much on 'what is' than 'what could have been'. Not being to go high is not the excuse to aim so bloody low and grow complacent in their own comfortable tiny little world instead of trying darnest to reach for the stars.

Adventure with maybe a dash of action added in.The old ones, not the TT brand. The ones about exploring strange and surreal lost worlds like Myst, or Spyro.

I wish there were more first person dungeon crawlers.

Procedural generation: let's have an algorithm make generic and mediocre levels for the faux guise of replayability and different experience ever time rather than make something quality and memorable with our heads but we don't have the brain cells and imagination to do that which is why we opted for procedural generation in the first place.

Kill yourself, op-kun.

"Roguelikes," open world, and stealth-FPS hybrid that isn't good as either. Devs in all of these cases completely miss what made earlier games in these genres good, and instead only copy superficial or bad elements of these games.

Cuhrazeee action games. DMC really shat the bed, and Bayonetta 2 is available only on Wii U.
3D action platformers. Ratchet & Cank is the only survivor, and series has been a really mixed bag of good, average, and sub-par games.

Styx: Masters of Shadows is pretty good. There are rpg-like unlockable bonuses and main character can get a tad annoying at times, but other than that it's very good AA title. Levels are pretty big and open, and there are many ways to traverse them and reach your objective.

FUCKING THIS

Fuck yeah, wizardry 8. Ive been playing that lately. Solid 9/10 game. Probably my 2nd favorite fpdc.

I see you haven't played/seen the "new" one.

Pseudo-RPG shooters, a la Bioshock, Far Cry, System Shock 1 and 2 etc.

RIP AND TEAR first-person action a la Hexen. Gore, edge, 90s-tier monsters, ridiculous weapons and - above all - speed. Embed somewhat related; if I could get a game that's like the love child of Hexen, Diablo II, Serious Sam and Heavy Metal I would play the shit out of it.

third person filmic oscar bait

The second they came into existence they showed no potential and did nothing special yet they received significant critical fanfare, all the other trends listed can be fixed.

I'm glad the genre got blown the fuck out at The Game Awards this year.

strategy city building hybrids
good dungeon crawlers ala Ultima Underworld
whatever sims like the movies
fps like quake
fps like goldeneye

Be careful what you wish for. Remember what happened to roguelikes?

Its harder to make a fpdc than a roguelike.

First person "horror" games must be annihilated, add over the shoulder camera there too. Bring back 3rd person with static camera angles!

Gonna agree with and vote for zombies as well. That has been run into the ground so fucking hard that it'll be years before I'll even give another one a chance.

Pics related, mecha and masked hero games. I either want to stomp about shooting lazers or punch masked goons and shout attack names.

this a thousand times. i'm so sick of "gritty warzone" and "'realistic' fantasy new zealand". i'd give anything for the weird lands of Zork or Myst.

patrician taste. for my money wizardry 8 is the best dungeon crawler ever made

Big robots with thick, throbbing, and juicy combined arms warfare.

I really do love wizardry 8, but I sometimes wish you only used one character since it would have made what skills your characters were good at or excelled more meaningful.

Indie shit waking simulators. There aren't many of them but the industry would not be worse off of every single one of them failed to exist. They are not games, they have no win or lose conditions, shit writing, and they are the manifestation of a failed generation and their attempts to break into an industry with even lower standards than the film industry.

nah, man, the fun of wiz8 is autistically creating the perfect party. at least i know that's why i enjoyed it so much; it always feels good to me to make a plan, spend time putting it into motion, and watch it return the investment tenfold

Narrative/Story driven "games".

Third Person Shooters like DAH!, R&C, Armed and Dangerous, Vanquish and Max Payne.

I'm with you, OP. Why every single game must be open world these days? It adds fucking nothing but a bunch of repetitive missions with little to no reward for the time you waste on them. The time they use to make all this shit could be spent on the actual main story.

People complained so much about linear games that now every game tries to be open world, even when it doesn't fit, devs have this weird notion that making a game open world automaticaly makes it non-linear. That's not how it works!

I miss good old straightfoward games, that it was just you going on adventure. Doesn't even need to be on rails linear, at least just make the "world" smaller. Not every game must have a fuckhuge empty map.

Truly, the cancer took over.

There's never enough mecha.
Hell, I'd be down with more robot protagonists, too.

Too obvious, maybe?

Early access survival open world with crafting and RPG elements.

I too dislike Open World because it inspires a quantity over quality aspect to the games.

Crazy sports games. Sports game that had flavor and style to them, pic related, NBA Street, NFL Blitz…

cyberpunk

The "Ubisoft game"

Is open world even a genre? It's more of a design choice.

But probably assfaggots or walking simulators.

Survival crafting. ESPECIALLY when multiplayer.
2D sidescrolling platformers.

Multiplayer games in general, actually.

I still remember faggots about 5 years back taking about how it's the golden future of gaming. Companies are slowly stopping to brag with it, but you still see some games use it like it's a fucking selling point

Thanks to No Man's Buy, we might see less of it.

It is, though. You literally cannot beat good procedural gen.

Less shitty pg, hopefully. No Man's Sky was a perfect example of lazy pg. Most of their shit wasn't even generated, it was just a bunch of shit made in Blender and then pieced together, resized, and recolored. I'd be surprised if they even morphed anything.

Third-person interactive story "press x to gameplay" bullshit games. Every action game has become this and every other genre has mutated into some form of this.

Good Sim and Tycoon games that aren't just thinly-veiled upgrade/clickers with micro-transactions.

but… but I love open world.

Are you proud of this post and what you have brought to the conversation?

I'm… I'm s-sorry, mom.

Here's a quick thing, somewhat tangentially: Did you ever play Dungeon Doom by any chance, user?

Thanks for the rec. Ill check it out.

Anything with zombies. There hasn't been a good zombie game in years.

More games like Thief 2/2X.

It was really good. It was actually exactly what I wished there'd be a lot more of back when I played it… a decade ago.

Also: You can sorta see a randomly generated dungeon, a player character with a sword and a player character with a spell in those screenshots I posted, but there are also all of the weapons and monsters of vanilla Doom 3 included alongside stuff like a mage class, a sword-wielding ninja/samurai class, and a class that finds and consumes collectable cards to attack and to summon things, plus original enemies and bosses with random affix effects and an overworld that might as well have been the original Bitterblack Isle.

But how will i find a copy. Google isnt pulling up anything related.

Yeah, I think it has… sorta disappeared. It was hosted on FileFront and the author's own website, and…
Well, there's this:
moddb.com/mods/dungeondoom
And then this:
gamewatcher.com/mods/doom-3-mod/dungeondoom-8-2

Thanks user.

Open World's fine user. Just because someone says they're sick of it doesn't mean it's a terrible setting entirely and everyone has to agree.

I also love open world games.

If we were to combine the two most controversial genres "open world" and "walking simulator" and create a game about being a war journalist in the middle of a mecha war, wouldn't that be grand? It carries the atmosphere, message and values across to the player without requiring the player himself carry a gun or kill anything. I think the problem with why walking simulators are vilified is because they are the hipster's go-to genre for making non-games to fellate themselves with. There's nothing dictating that walking simulators cannot be as ambitious as the adventure games of old.

4X and ASSFAGGOTS

Fishing vidya

Open world isn't a genre, it's a world style that is secondary to genre. It's as much a genre as "level based" or "hub world game".
I wish horrible hipster clones of existing better free games would just fucking stop in general. How many casual hipster $20 Dwarf Fortress clones are there? Roguelikes and "roguelites"? Shit "XYZ Tycoon" games? If they had unique mechanics or an interesting twist, or hell, were simply better polished, but they have no reason to exist and certainly no reason to pay for beyond "quirky graphics".

Anti gravity racers. There are way too few, especially on PC.

Why not just go fishing? It's free.

I want Civilization to combined with sim city 4 , and to be less shallow history/events wise by coming that game with some grand strategy game.

MOBA
Survival/Zombie

The problem isn't the genre, it's the games. If you play games like the type on OP's pic, that is modern AAA, then of course you will be disappointed. Those games are designed to sell, not to be good. Give examples of games where the developer tried their best but failed because of the open world aspect.

Wouldn't that involve going outside?

It's nice outside. It's colorful and doesn't smell like stale butthole, and nobody bothers someone who's fishing.

Nothing is free, user.

Just make a fish trap. Don't need a license for one of those, and they're piss easy to make so you don't need to buy one. Plant some in the water, roll out a blanket, down some wine and have a outdoors wank or read a book. Chill.

What a statecuck.

**I honestly forgot fishing licenses exist because I've never bothered and I've never been bothered for it."

Noice spoila dere bruv.

I'm not fixing it.

Kind of defeats the point of recreational fishing though, doesn't it?

Asshole simulators.

Pirating games. Uncharted Waters 2 is still the best one thus far.

I found a working link for Uncharted Waters 3. Finding that game itself is like embarking on an adventure. Going to download it after New Year.

That and innawoods hunting games.

There arent that many ASSFAGGOTS acxtually, most people just play the same few games.

like my english teacher once said,
cliches aren't bad, so long as they're done well.

then again, he was a commie

my goddamn nigga. Had so much fun playing Blitz and the NHL Hitz games

Not really a genre, but ultra-scale budget games that have no direction whatsoever behind said budget and no competence. There is nothing that irks me more than the modern scheme of throwing a freighter load of money at a project and somehow having all of it come to fuckall, when smaller scale studios manage to exceed them on shoestring to B or A-grade and very rarely AA level budgets, and generally do so to excess as the budget increases. Horrendous misapplication of economies of scale is a very offensive concept and reality to me.

If there's a specific genre I had to name after stating the obvious in the first answer, it'd probably be Souls overshoulder 'dying games' as they were once called. Not because I don't like them, I liked or loved them from Demon's Souls through to Bloodborne, but after the Necropolis fiasco, the good reception of the genuinely enjoyable but seemingly both low budget and low design Let It Die, and the continuing AWOL state of Deep Down foreshadowing a possible giant hype bubble if it ever comes back, I'm very worried that a deluge of garbage AAA copycats might be right around the corner as the hellish churning engines of the above class of industry arch-incompetents smell blood & gelt. I'd very much prefer such an outburst to be totally stillborn and wait a while for someone to take a fresh look at the formula & put out something genuinely good than have it come out sooner accompanied by a torrent of total shit that indelibly stains it. 'Soulslike' is a vile, dirty word and a stupid meme from a shekel-grubbing babyface aussie, and I hope it remains so.

God games, specifically in the later fashion of Black & White. I just want a nice RTS/citybuilder/middle-finger-of-god/monstrous pet simulator game again, but both B&W games are heavily flawed & Molyneux screwed the pooch on Godus leaving it sort of mediocre from what I've heard, and now no one seems intent. Maybe I ought to go backwards and finally try Populous, even if that's a bit more of a puzzle strategy game than a divine intervention sim. I tell you, take pre-Warscape Total War style combat, remove the overmap in favor of a very large map stretching across a landmass capable of holding at least a small country or (extra)national region, mash it together with Black & White villager management/civic depth further fleshed out, and expand the creature system from being a single big fuzzy Tamagochi that smashes cities to containing any and all divine servants, running the gamut from Herculean humans with fancy artifacts to titanic monsters like a fully grown Creature, and you'll make money. Set the timescale from the classical era to renaissance pike & shot or as far as the enlightenment, maybe stretch that through to the turn of the century in an expansion pack, and make everything nice & chronologically fuzzy so you can have a classical aesthetic even as you've got landships contending with necromantic chemical corps.

You should probably ask why do so many games do a genre so badly.

Didn't even know it came out already and I didn't really follow the development. Wasn't it a remake/reboot? What did they fuck up, and how badly?

I do what I can to forget that ASSFAGGOTS exist.

puzzle platformer, i fucking hate them.

3D air/space RTS, only game to do it that i know of is homeworld, everything else is 2D faking 3D.

Open-World.
RPG.
Horror.

These 3 will be part of most of the games in the future.
Mark my words.

I'd kill for modern iterations of Spy vs. Spy type versus games.

throw into that VR

who the fuck would pull me over for a fishing license? Since when did a method of getting food need a license?

In the end, procedural generation, no matter how well done, is never going to be a match to handmade content. It is going to repeat itself, it cannot generate lore or story for that content, and it won't even be designed as well as if somebody went and designed it by hand.

Jesus, that looks like a good movie.

zulu?

You need a trapper's license to set a fish trap in Canada

Not if you're a treenigger

A fish and wildlife officer. Assuming you have those in the outback.

Open world isn't a genre.
Neither is sandbox.

Sheeeeit, when did you buy it?

True but they can do any sort of hunting or fishing without a license or limits