Roguelike Thread

I was playing UnNethack a while ago. I was at Gnomish Mines, when I came across a bugbear who had a wand of digging. This thing created a hole between me and a stairway that goes up, am I stuck here now, should I just scrap this game or is there anyway for me to go to the upper levels somehow? The stairs to go down are on my side btw

I fell down to one of the holes this asshole created, that's why I'm on level 6. I searched everywhere on my side but the stairway to the fifth level isn't on this side, it has to be on other side of the hole. Can I go across it somehow? I don't have a teleportation scroll or a potion to levitate and these are the only two things I know that might help me. Sorry for a probably a stupid question but I'm new to this game

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You are fucked. Thats the entire point of UnNethack

Le Dark Souls artificial difficulty meme

Nigger UnNethack is a fork made specifically to add more randomness and "challenge" to Nethack.
This is like complaining about Pokemon randomizer being unfair.

I also thought of one thing, I might be able to to make a tunnel with a pick axe to the right side. But I haven't found a single pick axe yet. I can't just kill a dwarf and take his pick axe either because the dwarves I came across were friendly and I'm playing as a Samurai. I think you take a massive alignment hit if you attack to friendly creatures as a Samurai, so my only chance is try to find an already dead dwarf who had a pick axe? I don't think they're sold in stores

Are there seriously no other ways to get to the right side?

Cool so the gimmick is that it throws out any semblance of balance, uses RNG as "content", and calls you bad if you cant deal with it.

Top fucking wew

Nobody said you're bad because you can't deal with it. You're just a fag.

Muh nigga.

Sometimes the game fucks you this way OP, sometimes you gotta restart.

Jesus christ, cheese harder. At least walking simulators have a fairly obtainable win state

it's taking forever to do anything in this game, but i can't stop playing

do many roguelikes have day/night cycles? feels like i'm getting sucked in as if it's a harvest moon RL

ayo just droppin in here to remind folks that Afterbirth Plus for Binding of Isaac is coming out the third.

And Antibirth is probably better and free.

This is why you ALWAYS play as an Archaeologist. Starting with a mattock will give you wonderful bullshit resistance, you have a guaranteed weapon on the watch captain, and you can run a protection racket using mined gems to get a sweet boost early.

Does anyone here consider that edgy shit a roguelike?

Are you a 90s soccer mom?

How is Caves of Qud?

Even though there can be much more to the game, killing lots of monsters is a very important part of a roguelike. The game is player-vs-world: there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy).

That's more than half. You COULD make a minor argument for complexity, since most items affect multiple stats and can cause unexpected synergies. Hell, assuming you don't use the Hidden Stats part of Antibirth and the internet, most items are pretty damn opaque as to fuction and action. This leaves only Turn-based and Grid-based as the missing factors.

Eh, it's pretty solid. I don't know how people here feel about the Steam version (I think it's bretty gud) but even the old version is solid.

You can't deny it's intentionally edgy. I'm not offended by cartoon abortions but they aren't exactly light fare.

I know it has many of the aspects of rogue, but most roguelikes seem to ape rogue much more strictly than binding of isaac

I consider it at worst a roguelight, and roguelike according to Berlin Interpretation. There are commonly-accepted Roguelikes that violate even more of those aspects, honestly.

Where are all my POWDER bros at?

Are there any roguelites worth playing for a roguelike player?
So ones that still hole up if you have played anything other than the diluted shit of some roguelites?
E.g FTL

CDDA and I think maybe Elona+, but the latter doesn't impact the gameplay too much.

Currently, I'm torn between Sil, Crawl, and URW right now though. There's just too many roguelikes I have yet to beat.

Please dont fucking kill me Mr. Moose.

I've enjoyed Darkest Dungeon for what I've played of it.

Except dankest dungeon is bad RNG: the game
the whole difficulty of the game stems from the fact that the RNG is heavily stacked against you

this seems alright, and it's free.

right here fam

But that's the most important ones. It's like saying Age of Empires is a TBS minus the turn-based. And don't get me started on that roguelite shit either fag

Fuck forgot image

micronutrients

I almost buy this on steam, I downloaded it and god this is awful. It has the bland weak gameplay of a mmorpg on a single player game

Whats the status on CDDA?

whats a roguelike that has good archery

What are you looking for?

a game where archery isnt gimped

can you describe your ideal archery in more detail?

This video should explain it

youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Just play angband.

archers are among the strongest classes in ADOM

I'd say any class that doesn't have to stand next to the enemy to damage it is pretty strong in adom. so spellcasters and archers. I don't think pure melee is even viable in adom.

ADoM and ZAngband have them.

Until they run out of missiles. That's why using a sling is the safest choice.

Powder needs more possession mechanics

surely good archer makes sure they don't run out of arrows/quarrels at critical moment?

Would you carry logs of wood with you?

I see your point, but wouldn't it be just easier to turn the logs of wood into arrows or quarrels straight away?

To be fair pure anything isn't really an option in adom as arrows of slaying aren't easy to come by and some enemies are more dangerous in ranged than in melee.

I may not be remembering correctly but isn't the fletchery kit itself pretty heavy and tough to come across?

You also need a fletchery set, which has a limited number of uses and is non-trivial to obtain. On the other hand a pickaxe guarantees as many rocks as you want (as long as you have enough food for mining).

ah, I had forgotten that, been a while since I've played archer. sorry.

And to add, your arrows and quarrels are susceptible to weather effects and the Tower of Eternal Flames.

…and acid traps.

…AND MY AXE!

I've only done three quests so far, so my opinion is probably a bit inaccurate. Is it similar to FTL in regards to the RNG?

Huh?

Yep.

Sil, definitely Sil. CDDA used to be pretty good with it too, but I haven't used archery in the later versions.

Cut any good features lately?

What would you recommend for an intermediate after they have played a lot of CDDA and DCSS?

IVAN.

got a good bit further tonight. I'm having a lot of fun actually. has a gif making feature but it's cumbersome.

High Elves

Wands of heal wounds, teleportation, and hasting

Like really fucking no option to play as one anymore? What is the dev thinking? Give me a single reason to remove a race from this kind of vidya, were high elves bugged somehow? Did something glitch or what? WHAT THE FUCK

Dohoho. You must not be familiar with the dcss development.
Yeah you definitely aren't aware of dcss dev history.

DCSS devs are retarded.
They sometimes remove things basically to make the game better for speedrunners, or because the top 1% of players in the online servers abused it. You could go ask /rlg/ on 4/vg/ to explain more of the history, I don't have access to my collection of examples of the devs being retarded right now.

my fellow channers, why would you waste your time on amateur free low graphic "games" when you can play high fidelity adventure RPGs where something awesome happens everytime you press a button? Do you also live in caves and hunt hairy elephants?

You throw rocks at shit until something more dangerous comes around.
Worked for me as a barbarian.

Go away, Todd.

I want to see that, braggart midget.

I could smell you from all the way over in the nep thread, that getting ya moist elf?
Geez you're an entire race of Tsuns I swear.

Shoo, shoo, you pest. Go back to your grind, roguelikes are not in your league.

Bump

CDDA: we implement stupid "features"

Ok, so I want to sit down and sink into a roguelike but I hate hunger mechanics. How fucked am I?

ToME doesn't have one, but people in the thread said it's shit, why is that?

If anyone cares, I decided to continue this game thinking perhaps I could find something on the lower levels to help me get over that hole(I'm OP but my ID's changed most likely). I died to an Ettin Mummy anyway, these things hit harder than how I remembered them. When looking for a solution I also found you can actually jump in this game, but you must have a jumping boots for that, except for Knights who can jump naturally. I'll try to learn playing Wizards for a while now

I read about classes a while ago but IIRC people said convicts, tourists and archeologists were the hardest classes of the game, because of that I didn't even think of playing them. I think I actually played a convict once but died really early when the chained ball fell on my head when going downstairs

Also is UnNethack bad for learning the game? I started this because I read it was just Nethack + extra content. Would dnethack be better? Or anything else? I always hear about Slash'em but people also say it's hard as fuck so I'm not ready for that

Try it yourself and find out :^)

Dungeon crawler's hunger mechanics are pretty tame compared to others

DoomRL has no hunger system.

Most roguelikes have ways to mitigate hunger or classes which aren't as affected by hunger as others.
If you actually want to play a roguelike you better get used to hunger mechanics.

looks not half bad, why are you posting this in the RL thread though?

You can turn hunger off in Adom

Press 3 you stupid fuck.

NOPE

No idea, personally. Any reason why you aren't trying out the original Nethack first? It's plenty complex even for those who know the basics.