Lets pretend Guild Wars 2 never happened

Admittingly, I stopped playing GW2 a few days after release, so I actually don't know too much about it… besides that it just wasn't what it should've been. Now, what it should've been, I've got no clue, I only know it didn't satisfy my massive nostalgia boner, so every now and then I ponder what would.

So lets try something, lets all pretend Guild Wars 2 never happened: If you were to bring a Guild Wars successor to The Current Year, what would it look like? How would you iterate upon, improve upon the Guild Wars formula?

Some popular points of contention would be (feel free to add):
* Instanced vs shared world
* Do away with the holy trinity?
* Change the skill/level/combat-system(s)?

Or perhaps everything was just fine and all that's needed are just new graphics and new content.
Opinions?

Guild Wars 1 was a decent game. Just don't call it an MMORPG.

I think a lot of people wish it didn't tbh
do people still fucking play GW2 anyway?

Probably cat ladies.

Private server when?

I played competitive pvp from launch thru about the first year. Once it was revealed that the pvp dev team consisted of two fucking people, I quit. Game was fucking trash anyway. They didn't know what the Fuck they were doing balance wise.

You can still watch that cuck lordhelseth stream from time to time. I have fond memories stomping his ass in tournaments all the time.

Private gw1 server when though that game was a million times better in both pve and pvp.

- Leave it instanced. Add population commands to see how many people are engaged in the zone, region, and world across the game.
- Leave the holy trinity alone. The damage/control/healing experiment of GW2 ultimately flopped. Classes still couldn't be swapped around like nothing because party healing capabilities for each class have never been balanced and some classes end up having a couple to a handful of skills that make them always desirable over other classes for the same role. Tank/DPS/heal works in GW, but it is also not the only way to play, which is enough done right that it should be left alone.
- Level cap and combat as a whole can be left alone. The game is balanced around 200 skill points and there's no need to rock the boat on that.
- Cut the Paragon and Dervish, and possibly the Assassin and Ritualist. Possibly never add a new class beyond the core. Instead, use each new campaign and region to create a set of skills for each core class that shows how that class fits with that region. For example, the Ranger skills of the Factions set could make it feel more like an Assassin, or make the Necromancer feel more like a Ritualist.
- Smaller, shorter campaigns and regions, but with more farmable content in the form of challenge missions or rehashing of zones like with War in Kryta or Winds of Change.
- More use of elemental types of resistances and weaknesses.
- Rotate skills of older campaigns out from GvG on some schedule that lines up with the release of new campaigns. For HA and TA, either rotate skills of a campaign in and out on some timely schedule, or limit teams to having builds with skills from two or three campaigns maximum beyond the core. Except in PvP, limit PvE characters to using core skills, skills of their home region, and skills of one or two other regions of their choosing, but without restriction on learning skills from any region.
- Speaking of TA, return TA to the game and nix CA, because CA never really worked to begin with.
- Bring back VoD and QCT.
- More minigames and more support for minigames and challenge missions as competitive formats with unique (for minigames) or lavish (for challenge missions) prizes.
- Smiter's Boon Shadow Form in PvE.
- Undo the last several balance patches that changed the functionality of large portions of skills, particularly of Elementalists and elite skills.

Just make an HD edition and add different underwear for both sexes.
Swim in dosh
it still hurts

Yes

I wish arenanet weren't literally fucking faggots, WvW could've been good.

One of the devs is literally a MtF korean tranny, and he changed one of the NPCs in lion's arch from male to female, when you talk to it it says bullshit like "I always knew I was a womyn! thanks to being mesmer it's easy to become what I am!"

What are you talking about user? There's no such thing as Guild Wars 2.

If Guild Wars did have a sequel, this is how it should have been:

The game itself is the same in nearly all respects. The only change made is to basic combat. Instead of having it be toggle-based, it would be more like Terra or DDO, where you click to swing whenever delivering attacks. Skills could be targeted with skill-shots and the like.

Bring back some of the older PvP methods.

That's all I can think of.

Revert all the no fun allowed balance patches. Update the engine, kill off Kormir.

Well, still waiting for Guild Wars 2, but remove Kormir, fucking seriously.

-Better controls/movement/targeting, GW1 controls are pretty ass
-Better cutscenes/story, obviously
-Graphic update to bring it more casuals to keep the cashflow going
-Less Kormir
-Less retarded Assassin bullshit

Your nostalgia boner shall never be quenched.

What the fuck happened?

I'm not much of a fan of shared world anyways, except if theres open pvp. If players compete for resources without being able to actively aggress each other, they just become passive aggressive bitches. I've trouble imagining how shared world & open pvp would fit GW, tho.
Also: With clearly defined roles, every individual matters. Don't know how well a MMO with "everyone can do anything" mindset handles that, but I imagine less so.
Agreed to the level & skill-point system working very well, and I wouldn't want to see these changed much in a GW successor.
Agreed. Many regions, after having visited them a few times (first for story progression, second for title, and some for aquiring elites), remain entirely unused.
Agreed. Can barely remember GW doing that… there were enemy types who were vulnerable to holy damage, but outside of that? Can't remember ever paying attention to what type of damage I do.
Idea: You could bind resistances/weaknesses to classes and/or buffs. Like, if you invest in Fire Magic you gain in Fire Resist./Water weak. If you also invest in Water Magic, it cancels out. If you cast buffs anything Fire/Water, the same thing.

Don't know much about the rest.

One can dream.

Proposal: Get rid of these fuckers again.

Shared world doesn't fit the skill system in GW. A huge part of PvE is assembling a skill bar that best fits the mission you are to do, with it being locked in for the renainder of the mission. I remember the early days of Factions and everybody struggling with Closer to the Stars. I ran a conditions build on my warrior like a retard without realizing that the damn things can't bleed. AoE DPS Cyclone Axe warrior, meanwhile, slaughters that mission.

It was an amazing game ahead of its time.
Now with jewtubers, streams E-ATHLETES and shit it'd be even bigger.

why

More minigames like ROLLERBEETLE RACING and Commando PvP.

I would do it just like 1 but…

When it comes to lore, I would get rid of all Dragons except Primordus and Jormag. Zhaitan would have been replaced with an extremely dangerous Abbadon sect that is undead, The Silvary would be a product of Mother Mother tree that functions like the Zerg and would be at war with the Inquest when the Hero has to deal with all the Maguuma shit, Palawa Jokko would be your enemy int he third expansion instead of Kralkatorrik (who doesn't fucking exists). Then comes dealing with Cantha, that has actually been isolated by somehign that was enclosed by the Jade sea, woke up a 100 years ago and lost its shit. All this leads to the big fight against Primordus and Jormag, who actually controlled all the events for their own motives I haven't made up yet.

Additionally if GW2's simplification has to happen:

The Prestige armor system was bullshit and there was that Item shop.

As someone who never played EotN, what have they done with the mission format? What's different? Also, feel free to list other negative shit in it, as I only played Proph, Factions (that was actually my introduction to the game, I bought proph later) and Niggafall.

EotN missions aren't initiated from towns, per se. They're more like repeatable quests where you wander to a specific point in an instance and then load into the mission instance and do whatever the mission is.

IIRC there were a few of those in Factions and even more in Nightfall, but those were relatively minor, more like sidequests. I don't like the idea of them being the main mission mechanic.

I feel here you lose the trading card game aspect of it, instead of 100 "unique" skills, you get 10,000 slight variations of each other. Balancing becomes making stuff generic, dumbing everything down to the lowest common denominator.
Some may argue that by this kind of combinatorics things get "deeper" & truely customizable, but I don't feel it, I feel this comes at a cost.

I'd rather just have more skills and more diversity.

Never hire John Stumme. Never switch from having community managers sit in LA and chat to Reddit AMAs. Stick to the freaking Manifesto. Stop nerfing SF!

That was revealed in Nightfall. Remember when they let the community fucking manager do a serious PvP overhaul patch? Why the fuck did you think it would be any different in the sequel?

You know what would be cool? If you could combine spells through things called fields. Basically you lay down a field and use a spell and they become stronger. It's an alternative to form of working together that avoids the trinity. The way you'd balance them is that you'd make them long channeling spells that would cancel when you cancel the channel. That way you can more deliberately control how long they'd stay out. You would need to balance them with dodging and kiting so positioning would be important as well. The thing you wouldn't want to do is to take their effects negligible, tack on willy nilly to random spells, and make overlapping an issue. I'm sure there's no dev would be that incompetent, especially not ArenaNet!

guild snores poo

Yep it still hurts

>giving money to arenanet

Last Page Bump.

B U M P

Add the following:
DON'T hire "game developers" who don't know anything about Guild Wars;
DON'T hire questionable employees like "monetization manager", especially when their resume includes work history like Nexon USA (killer of franchises);
DON'T fire/let go of your art director/core developers/staff just because they've voicing out that they don't like the direction the game is taking;
DON'T bother trying to appeal to China. If they like it, they will come to you;
DON'T go esports and neglect the game content for months;
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T invite scam artists to give lectures about diversity and whatever hot buzzwords that are hip in SanFran.

More info on this please

Lets pretend MMOs never happened.

Not entirely true, but it may as well be at this point.