Star Ocean Thread

Was she a 5D entity?
Is Star Ocean 5 fun?
Were you able to make that Luther damned Philosopher Stone?

Star Ocean 3's plot twost was so fucking bad holy shit. Like you could have had wierd incomprehensible eldritch 4D aliens treating the 3D universe as an effective plaything through the use of some clever metaphors but no god damn play that shit as straight as possible and make the 4D beings a civilization of hyper NEETs who play vidya 24/7. What's worse is how the entire cast just rolls with it instantly loke there isn't any sort of existential crisis shit you would expect in this scenario.

the whole star ocean franchise is awful, specially the latest entries.

the level of generic plastic anime in the characters is intolerable, and the combat in the later entries is terrible

Full 3D was the worst thing to happen to Star Ocean. The creators weren't able to handle it and everything turned for the worse when it happened.

Unfortunately, Star Ocean 1 and 2 will remain the only games to ever come out of that series.

Is 5 going to be for PC or what? I played 1-4 so I'd get 5 but won't get a console for it. Sorry no sale, Squeenix/Triace.

It was fucking terrible. I played everything bu the second half of the bonus dungeon, expecting it to get better. It didn't.

Does anyone know how to use the pickaxe in the first star ocean? Im in the cave that's full of crystals and I can't figure out how to use it. Also how do I use the cooking skill? Do I have to be somewhere specific to use it?

2 is fine

I enjoyed 4 despite Holla Forums hating it for whatever reason (It's not like the others?)

I just remembered. My grandmother recently emulated 2. She gave up on beating the final boss.

wait what

I got her into emulation. She plays a shit ton of PS1 games now, despite being mostly a casual. She's playing Vagrant Story now.

I'm playing SO5 now, and honestly it doesn't seem that bad. That's probably because I just started, but I've never been a big fan of SO in general. 1 was pretty good, 2 was technically better as a game - being more of the same from SO1 but better balanced, but the story was weak and I hated the characters - so that marred it. SO3 was ok, but that ending stunk worse than a designated shitting street. SO4, I just gave up half-way through and couldn't even finish - which sucked because it had the most potential out of all of them.

So maybe being different from previous Star Ocean games won't be a negative for me… or maybe I've just given up hope on them.

The combat system has always turned me off from the series.

Is 5 that much of a trainwreck really?
Sucks since I really wanted a fun JRPG with a nice real time battle system

Its boring and linear with shit characters and a shit story.

That's awesome user. Now make her play Sengoku Rance and post results.

I don't think grandmas who play Vagrant Story can be accused of casualness. Make sure she plays FFT as well.

Could be wrong, but I think you needed to equip it as an accessory.
As for cooking, you should be able to use it anywhere as long as you have ingredients. Also if the character doing the cooking wasn't generated with the talent, you need to grind a quadrillion botched meals so the faggot gets rid of his shit taste.

She doesn't like tactics style combat, I don't really like it that much either. As for casualness, she looks up guides for everything (can't stand the missables in JRPGs) and abuses savestates. She tends to give up easily unless she get outside help.

I'll give you that. I liked the battle system and the space dragon. It was nothing stellar, but it was at least worth my time.

I wish had the balls or lack of awareness regarding socially acceptable behaviors to do that. I almost got her to play Saya no Uta because Extra Credits described it as "like Silent Hill, but with no holds barred for taste."

It really fucking is. If I hadn't been a retarded consumer, I would have noticed sales tanked in Japan and it was in Japanese bargain bins within 2 weeks of release.

If you want fun, Star Ocean ain't the series for you. Funny thing is, I read how the devs had to work to convince higher-ups that the franchise was worth continuing, and to show players that have consoles that they aren't being forgotten in the rise of mobile gaming. It was supposed to show that console gaming in Japan was STILL worth.

Star Ocean is the worst tri-Ace property. They should focus on Valkyrie Profile.

But I had fun playing 1, 2 and 3
I only finished 3, lost my saves of 1 and 2 when my computer died and couldn't be assed to replay them back then

Welch is shit
S H I T

5DPD

IIRC if you encounter a certain Private Action the final boss will become nearly unbeatable without grinding up to max level. I remember doing this as a kid and having to restart,

They did, it's called Lightning Returns.

Star ocean 5 is fun to an extent. It is extremely easy of a game and very short in comparison of other Star Ocean games.

Also, the dead man walking skill breaks the game. Coupled with the princess skill and it becomes a cake walk.

When is the PC port of SO5?
h
e
n
i
s
t
h
e
P
C
p
o
r
t
o
f
S
O

Adding to this comment.

Set up Victor with the roles of

Berserker
Dead Man Walking
Princess
Critical Combatant

Basically run with just bloodstorm revolution and just sit back and spam the fuck out of it. You cannot die and draw in all aggro. It makes taking on any boss easy as fuck. Not to mention if you set Miki to just only healing then everyone will stay alive and no one will die.