Be honest, which one was "better"?

Be honest, which one was "better"?

Honestly? Doom 3. It tried to do something different, and did it alright, NuDoom tried to be the original, but was worse in every way that mattered.

Doom 3 is extremely boring, the enemies are shit, and the corridors are far too cramped to allow the player to make much movement. I pick Doom 4, it's not perfect, but certainly a lot better than 3.

It tried to copy system shock 2, but with more flashlight if that means anything.

Nah, bullshit.

It only takes the harsh and chaotic aspect of it.

This. Doom 3 is a better game. NuDoom is just doom, but bad.

It tried to be a survival horror, and it was fairly good as so.

the objectively correct opinion is both are dog shit but nuᴅᴏᴏᴍ is "better"

How many times are you people going to try this tactic? The prescribed approach of NuDoom fanboys is to not to talk about the game's merits, but instead to claim that this turd is stuck to the side of the barrel and not the bottom. Who gives a fuck if the game is better than Doom 3 or Call of Duty's singleplayer? That doesn't mean the game is good by any stretch of the imagination.

The correct answer

No, it failed to be a survival horror and failed to be good at anything. It's worse than Doom 4 in every regard. The story is interesting though, I give you that.

I dislike the level design and atmosphere that tries too hard to be serious.

nudoom is at least fun to play. Doom 3 is just a shitty event horizon video game.

Doom 3. I've played it two dozen times, minimum. Doom 3 isn't what I'd call a great game, but destroying everything in your path while getting through the game as quickly as possible is why I've played it so many times. Playing it on nightmare with the soul cube hampers the fun a little because it dampens your pace and you need to stop and think what you're going to do with your next cube use, but there is still enough challenge to be had attempting to get through the game without dying.

NuDoom didn't seem to do anything right. D3 has its flaws, but NuDoom doesn't let you DO anything. The weapons feel like trash, you have invincibility frames while EPIC ELIMINATIONS happen, you can stun almost everything effortlessly, killing things with only bullets takes five goddamn years, health and ammo drops are fucking everywhere and there is never any real threat to you. Low on ammo? Stun and elim some random enemy. Low on health? Do the same thing. Oh no, surrounded by mulitple enemies? Again, do the same thing.

NuDoom was certainly a step up in the graphics department, but it fucking BETTER BE after 12 fucking years, and with the piss filter that's still not saying much. Everything else it did, it did it far worse.

Imagine a shaggy downs faggot standing in front of two piles of shit, sniffing, touching and tasting them both.
That's pretty much zenimax audience.

Why would it need one? In this case, the only think you needed to manage carefully was your bullets.
They were alright and you actually had to look for codes to unlock the safes.
Like Doom.
As a person that fears the dark, it wasn't weak, it just relied a lot in jump scares.
Now this is made up.
It was better than NuDoom in almost every way except being Doom.

if you take a close look, you'll notice he doesn't actually say anything about why NuDoom was good, and all he does he say "no u" to anything in D3. Also notice his complaints are incredibly vague non-arguments you could make about virtually any FPS that, say, you've never played or don't know anything about.

The problem is, the game doesn't want you to play it as quickly as possible. Everything is dark and cramped.

Funny, coming from someone who likes Doom 3.

NuDoom gives laughable challenge and some underthought mechanics, but at least it's less boring to play than Doom 3.

Slow-paced horror-themed corridor shooter. It's slowness didn't even make it contemplative or methodical, just dull and a slog to get through. Not a Doom game by any means really.
Though faster and action-based it's not much of a Doom game either. Apes older games in terms of aesthetics but has more in common with Painkiller in some aspects of design and like modern shooters in mechanics. It's pretty dull as well, but for being a braindead shooter rather than being too slow like Doom 3. It's more like Doom than 3, but not really where it counts.

I guess DooT is a tad more enjoyable with how cathartic it can be to fuck shit up. That's not really much of a compliment though.

What? NuDoom tried to be Brutal Doom HD With Set Piece Spawns.

Both tried to use Doom to create their own thing and both missed what made Doom good so ended up looking like shitty cash ins on a known brand. Particularly with NuDoom and how it tried to make everything a callback or reference.

Why all this hate for nudoom?

How is that a problem and what is your point? That it isn't a bigger, more modern version of actual Doom? Too bad. We're comparing D3 and NuDoom, we aren't comparing them to the original. NuDoom does everything wrong. "Faster pace" doesn't make up for everything. I also didn't try to speed through D3 because I wanted to play it like the original, but because I found it fun. I know where every enemy is, and "speedrunning" it on the hardest difficulty was entertaining for me, I wasn't making a point for the game design itself.

Yes, ironic isn't it? As bad as you think the weapons in D3 are, they are fucking ten times worse in NuDoom. You can't even USE them half the time because the enemies are bullet sponges and you need to sit there shooting them for a million years to kill them without an execution.

You make so many vague complaints I don't need to take you seriously. You don't say anything specific I can actually address, whereas I did exactly that for 4 or 5 different things in my first post. You don't happen to have counterarguments to those, do you?

I'm assuming you're retarded or "pretending" to be.

Holla Forums likes being contrarian for the sake of it sometimes

To add something more variations into the gameplay? It allows item management, more interaction with your surroundings, more possibilities to alter your stats, etc. My point is, Doom 3 is a bad action game, it's too slow and boring, and it should've added more survival stuff to make it up.

My point exactly. The only puzzles are unlocking the safes. It's unexciting, no variations.

Yes, like Doom. I didn't say that nuDoom is good.

As I've said, the combat is bad due to the cramped space and darkness. It wasn't even designed to suit the slower action. It's just boring. For comparison, Condemned's combat worked well for dark and cramped setting. And the lack of variations, everything look and feel the same to me. Maybe it's just to dark for me to see the "variations".

My point is Doom 3 is bad, not nuDoom is good.

You see, Holla Forums and bethesda are like mortal enemies.

It's a modern sequel to a classic game that doesn't live up to its predecessors. It's a 6-7/10 game from a 10/10 franchise.

Also, its made by Zenimax, who are the devil.

yes thank you for confirming my suspicions. I'm impressed you manage to hold all those Downs.

filtered

i had forgotten about that, very true.

Do you want the long or short version?

Now I understand. It's still a fun game, as fun as the original which wasn't some unattainable height of gameplay depth either.

but it isn't.

even if we take the game standing solely on its own two feet, which is what i addressed in my first post, it isn't a fun game. There is no skill or challenge in ANYTHING. The games holds your hand for you. It gives you disgusting amounts of ammo drops, health drops, execution chances, etc. It's only "fun" for those who don't have any actual skill at shooters, because for the first time they can roll on through this dark, "visceral" violent game and feel like a badass, because everything is so fucking easy.

Because there isn't much else to do in the game. It hasn't evolved far from the shoot and run mechanic, yet it put less emphasis on it and does it worse.

In nooDoom, everything looks vivid and the action at least looks good even if it doesn't play good.

It enables you to not drag your ass through uninteresting things longer.

They're just as bad. No better no worse. The chaingun and chainsaw in Doom 3 are fun though, I give you that, but the chaingun is quite as decent in nuDoom too.

Executing them beats slogging through Doom 3.

DOOM³ is a slow paced first person shooter with a heavy focus on survival and horror.
Nu-DOOM is Zelda 1 in first person without the open world hub.
I passed to much time of my life playing DOOM 1 to say that either of them deserves the title of DOOM, so i think you just need to decide which of two genres that they fit in you like more.

I should have mentioned this in my first post, but it slipped my mind. After the intellectually heavyweight argument that because other games are shit that makes NuDoom great (surprisingly) fails to convince anybody, the NuDoom kid will then proceed to meltdown and throw a tantrum about how Holla Forums JUST DOESN'T LIKE GAMES, DAD! It's happening in this thread now, so sit back and enjoy the tears.

i have been, for sure. i knew it was coming and called it as soon as i saw it.

Doom isn't even the pinnacle of FPS, that is quake.

Better for Holla Forums?
Ionno some bitchy comment
Better for me?
3. DOOM was fine, but it was pretty disposable. I can play 3 again when I'm in the mood.

Doom 4 obviously

Anyone who says Doom 3 is delusional. Anyone who claims Doom 3 was actually GOOD is fucking lying.

This probably sums up the opinion of any normal person who actually played Doom 3 for any length of time.

There's nothing good about Doom 3.

Only on multiplayer. Doom is the king of single-player level and monster design, plus all the extra mappacks made for it are just one-upping eachother constantly in the ever-raising bar of quality.

NuDoom is slightly-better than Doom 3.

They're both decent, above-average games but nothing phenomenal.

Doom 4 is actually the best FPS in recent times. Don't listen to those nostalgia faggots going on about 3 like it has any redeeming qualities, because it dosen't. Graphics: Outdated. Gamplay: boring and slow Replayability: not very much, less difficulties than nudoom. You're objectively getting a better experience with the new offering. I bet these kids who like doom 3 are younger than 18… nostalgic for a 2004 game

Decent bait, I'll give it 6/10

because everybody else liked it

Anybody that thinks Doom 3 was in anyway good is a contrarian faggot that wants to fit in with all the Doom 4 hate. Doom 3 is an unredeemable shitpile that tried to be spooky and cinematic but failed at being spooky.

It was horrible and boring. That being said, whoever the fuck posted Doom 64 has good taste. That might as well have been the real Doom 3.

you can run faster in the slow-paced jumpscare horror shooter than you can in the supposedly fast-paced return-to-form shoot-em-up demon killing serious sam wannabe

Okay, this is getting out of hand. Has there been another mass migration recently?

Pretty much sums my opinion.

Couldn't even finish Doom 3 over how trash the guns felt.

Quake's enemies, aesthetic, and weapons are dogshit. I really regret getting it.

NuDOOM

It's a desperate attempt at trying to be what people perceive DOOM as but at least it tries to be DOOM.

Doom 3 doesn't deserve the title and is a 7/10 horror shooter.

Doom 3
Doom 4

Because Holla Forums

That's not how you spell "Unreal".

At least 3 didn't have a bunch of hokey fucking easter eggs that seemed more fitting for a Kike Gasem game.

Not even close. Pic related.

I don't know. Doom 4's map system was pretty Metroid Primey.

Neither.

Because its a playable disappointment.

And it was a poor imitation of Prime.

Doom = Quake 1 > Descent 2 > Blood > Douk 3D > Unreal > Doom 64 > Descent 1 > Star Wars: Dark Forces > Doom 2 > Serious Sam: TSE > Shadow Warrior > Serious Sam: TFE > Turok > Marathon 2 > Quake 2

I agr-
Why

sandy petersen

I fucking knew it

Was it his maps?

I go back and play Doom II occasionally every so often, and I've found that I'll usually stop around the time of The Pit, sometimes after, sometimes before, but never before Dead Simple.

And I realize that it's because Sandy Petersen is fucking shit at level design. His stages, save for Tricks and Traps and Barrels o' Fun (because they have a fun gimmick), are garbage.

Pretty much, they are universally hated. Doom 2 is pretty lame in the map department to the point even the most average community megawad surpasses it easily. Some beginner "My first map" stuff people made in this board is better than MAP21 at the very least.
If you really think about it, Doom 2 is a very lame sequel, almost feels like a cashgrab, it could have been much more.

Good taste.

Shit taste.

Doom 3 is a glorified tech demo that poorly tries to ape Half-Life 1 and System Shock, the horror aspect boils down to gore and laughable jumpscares, and overall it fails as a shooter thanks to the horrid unsatisfying weapons coupled with the boring enemies that barely react to getting shot until they suddenly fall over and disappear

D44M is a fairly solid arena shooter akin to Painkiller that is held back typical modern game design conventions e.g. it's designed for consoles first and foremost, tacked on upgrade/progression system because every game apparently needs one, overbearing handholding and UI elements, etc.

It was technically a cashgrab of the retail market, it rode on Doom 1's shareware success.

Serious Sam is superior to Doooook and Quak, all who say otherwise you are gay

I can pretty much agree with everything else except this. Doom 2 is barely worth being considered as its own thing, it just added some enemies and weapons and had worse maps than 1. The main thing that has given Doom its staying power and community is all the player-made content. Just roll the two into one and call it king.

you expect people to judge how good a game is based on the complaints of management in a company, not even the game, made by a random user with an alias on reddit 2 years ago

it placed combat above exploration, therefore it was a much better prime

quake 2 is unfairly shit on. its not very challenging even on the highest difficulty, and even on the highest difficulty you will max out all ammo the whole fucking way killing absolutely everything and so on, point being its not perfect, but it is in no way worse than serious sam or unreal

quote those complaints

Superb taste.

It's not that it's bad, it's just worse than everything else.

ITT PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT PLAYED RESURRECTION OF EVIL

i should try out project brutality at some point

Nu DOOM. DOOM 3 is a poorly paced mess, it looked good for it's time, and the lighting was fantastic, that's it. All it has going for it is graphics.

That was such a different feeling game overall from Doom 1/2. I felt a dread for some reason as the music was more mellow and horror in tone and the sound effects were way different. Overall I really like it.
NuDood is so fucking floaty this is from someone who played it, Nightmare difficulty is total bullshit your shotgun is far too inaccurate and 20 bullets mean nothing in this mode I changed it to Ultra-violence because it took seven fucking shells point blank to kill an imp which pissed me off and then Ultra-violent was too damn easy. The game is so fucking easy it hurts, the glory kills are fucking obtrusive as all hell, the level design isn't great, you play a mongoloid faggot for some reason.. the list goes on with how bland the game overall is it isn't shit or terrible it's just really mediocre as a game as a whole.

The game was an ugly abhorrent mess. The graphic fidelity was fuckawful the whole thing should have just been scrapped.

It impressed the shit out of me when it came out, and I can only speak from personal experience, obviously.

Oh man I misread your post my bad, I thought you meant Nudood. Doom 3 wasn't very fun overall in the end it became a slog around the halfway point and I always lose interest in it because it never really opens up which drags it down completely.

It's a 6.5/10 shooter, it's by all means not great but it's not bad either. It's fun for something to throw in when you want rip and tear but not on a title old enough to be able to legally drink. Thing is that the majority of Holla Forums expects something like the original Doom when it's more like Brutal Doom for mainstream gamers. Also because of the game not living up to standards the previous game even if it was bad or worse is seen through rose tinted glasses.
Basically take everything here with a grain of salt, a good portion of Holla Forums will shittalk a game based on certain issues with a game that might have been patched out months later but nobody gives a shit to find the facts. i.e. Homeworld Remastered.

All you had to do was make it fast again you dumb fuckers!

It's not even really like Brootal Doom though. New Doom is just kind of it's own thing, which I think is cool. Most people here do not, which is a shame.

i still think the movement speed in new doom is too slow though

I don't really understand why people consider it so inferior. The movement and the guns are the same, if not better. The enemies are also clearly superior to the ones you fight in the original.

The only problems you can have are the glory kills, the ammo raining with the chainsaw and the checkpoint system.

Those are somewhat valid, except the checkpoints, I'm not restarting the whole level. And save games make any game 100% trivial and easy, so I don't see what the problem is other than the glory kills.

that alone is enough

Because anything Gearbox touches is turned to shit, look at Duke Nukem, but at the tech aspect of Doom 2016 after Denuvo was removed, maybe we'll see some nifty mods instead of shitty maps that are limited by the game.

Oh man, this had better be bait. I don't think anybody alive can be this fucking stupid.

If you pretend 3 was just a horror game rather than a Doom game it's a solid 7/10. NuDoom takes the false understanding of Doom from people that have only played sourceports and mods like Brutal Doom have and runs with it.

Why does everyone always forget Outlaws? Also TFE > TSE but I'd argue Serious Sam doesn't really belong in this list anyway. It's newer than both and actively tried to be as different as possible since tech allowed huge maps and fucktons of enemies. I can remember it being pushed as a modern FPS in comparison to the older games, in fact.

Both are Doomed

Doom 3 was trying to be a survival horror, but failed in everysingle way due to the fact I was able to practically stock up on ammo so much to the point where I wasn't afraid of confrontations.
Nu-DOOM was just Wolfenstein the New Order but with a skin of edgy and dumb shit that didn't even need to be there and just got fucking boring to the point where I almost didn't even complete the fucking game.
Doom 3 was more favorable, but at the same time fuck it, i'd rather just go back to DOOM1&2.

Also forgot to mention, 12 enemies.

It's not spaceship rocket speed like in the original, but it works alright for the cramped levels. It reminds me of UT3's movement but slightly faster.

Doom 4 is trying to get the player more up close and aggressive with the enemy and is following the idea of rip and tear more closely. While it does remove the concept of item placement in levels, it also means that instead of running around for 30 seconds to get health or ammo you get it by punching a hole into an imp or two.

They actually recovered themselves with Homeworld Remastered though back in June with a huge patch fixing almost all the problems the release had. The only issue I see that is still in effect is abandoning formations on initiating combat which is more based around HW1 combat than HW2.

NuDoom was a lot like the shadow warrior reboot, but with good level design.

Doom 3 all the way baby.