Other games with decent "gray" conflicts

Alright, I'm curious. I played Deus Ex 1 and digged it. So I'm looking for any other games of any genre with decent "gray" conflicts. Especially if they have you making choices

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

STALKER series, Gothic series, Fallout series, VTM:B.

It's more of a brown conflict, but still.

A lot of the Witcher's side-quests involve gray conflicts, and usually you can choose to go neutral until someone forces your hand by being a cunt. Honestly, the side-quests (and the short stories) are the best parts of the Witcher. The main quests and novel plots are mostly average.

silent hill

Does Verdun count? WW1 was pretty grey.

SH3 sure and maybe SH2, but SH1 has pretty straightforward antagonists

Main quests involve it too. Roche or Iorveth was the best choice in Witcher games imo

My favourite choice is the weapons shipmet in the village outskirts in TW1. It's a real slap in the face when you see the consequences afterward, because no matter what choice you make you get fucked either way. It's the perfect introduction. I miss the oil paintings they used in the first game too, when narrating the consequences of your actions. Instead they went with some comic-book shit in the sequels and it lost that classical feel.

NCR vs Legion vs House vs Wild Card threads wouldn't happen so often and go on so long if there weren't legitimate reasons to go with each side of the conflict. The NCR have very good intentions and will generally act in a way people would percieve as good but they're also incompetent and mismanaged, so much so that their presence in the Mojave is hardly even felt by many people who are threatened by various raider factions like the powder gangers. Then you've got the Legion who are the polar opposites of the NCR in that they come off as comically evil but very effective and apparently inside their territory life is good and peaceful, despite the atrocities their soldiers commit outside of it. But perhaps you like neither and will side with the House whose intentions are entirely selfish but he does also happen to want to make life good for anyone inside of his city since that would benefit him as well. Of course that doesn't extent to the people outside of it that he would likely ignore as they're left for the raiders and mutants. And lastly you can command the securitrons yourself but is your character really up to that task? Can a single person who isn't necessarily as intelligent, wise, or certainly experienced as Mr House do his job effectively and bring good to the Mojave? There is no one right faction despite what anyone will tell you and the only way one could know if the game didn't end and you could see the effect each would have on the Mojave.

DeS spoilers: you're supposed to realize at some point that you are a demon too since you're collecting souls and using them to make yourself more powerful which is exactly what Demons do. I guess it's not grey/grey morality though, just black/grey but still.

And in Dark Souls you're supposed to think that the ending is pretty clear with no questionable morality until you play it again and talk to Kaathe to learn that you have been manipulated and lied to and that the curse itself might have even been artificially created to encourage undead like you to consolidate humanity to burn. Of course that doesn't mean Kaathe is good because the abyss clearly fucks people up and the question is do you struggle against the inevitability of entropy or do you accept the age of the dark and hope it goes better than it did for New Londo and Oolacile.

Brown?

New Vegas, The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, STALKER.

panzer dragoon saga op

such a pc gamer

Some people would say the civil war in Skyrim but it is more like a "Beige" conflict.

Dark Souls 1 (and to an extent 3) both have morally ambiguous conflicts, though 3 is much more obtuse about it

What could I expect from an age of Deep rather than ages of dark or fire?

There is no grayer conflict in videogames as far as I'm concerned. You will be making choices.

What do you mean by deep? Deep = dark = ♂fantasy♂ = abyss = void = cold = man = death
And fire = light = warm = gods = lords = life

It's just about entropy and how the age of fire will eventually become the age of dark due to nothing lasting forever (and when everything is dark there will be no frame of reference of what dark looks like compared to light so it'll be grey like they showed in the intro).

Everyone is shit.

Hmm.

Fallout 4

Mostly a text based game, but has simple ship/naval combat gameplay and resource management. Prepare to spend a lot of time sailing.

Is there much gray conflict though? I feel like most of the decisions are just "be clever and try not to get fucked over." Not that that's a bad thing.
Has Zubmariner come out yet?

Todd, he said "gray" conflict, not "shit-colored" conflict.

It's out, haven't played it yet.

Spec Ops: The Line is pretty much all grey, or, alternatively, it's everyone trying to do good but just making things worse.

Alpha Protocol basically straight up tells you to play it like a sociopath, saying what people want to hear to get ahead.

Theres the rodent war for one. Its grey morality in the sense that every choice is morally ambiguous.

Sounds like fence shitter bullshit to me. There are no such thing as a (((gray))) conflict. There's someone who's right and someone who's wrong. No exceptions.

Spec Ops: The Line is way too forced. Yeah, I would have felt like I did something wrong if I had a choice not to.

JA2 however, when you end up mustard gassing a bunch of random civilians by accident because you thought the movement was enemy you really start to question the glorious revolution.

Do you know what an opinion is? Imagine if a war was being fought because the two sides had different opinions, in such a scenario how could one of them possibly be right and the other wrong?

If you think one of them can be right, then you don't understand what an opinion is.

This user has never read a history book.

He's just young and hasn't had a lot of real world experience yet. that or he's a fucking retard and will never learn

No, I think he's just really stupid.
Not even reading will save you from that.

That's not the argument to make to argue for morally grayness. Opinions CAN be wrong or right. Not all opinions are wrong or right, but some are.
For example: "I think Charles Manson is innocent because he didn't kill anyone.". This can be an opinion coming from someone who doesn't understand law or how dangerous people who plot murders can be.

Company of Heroes's expansion packs does it pretty good, especially in Opposing Fronts. Also please ask yourself, when did the last time the Axis side of WW2 were potrayed in a somewhat positive / sympathetic light in vidya?

i'm going to attract Holla Forums or Holla Forums but fuck it

Hitler Dindu Nuffin

The German campaign was 2sad4me

I also felt those feels, brüder

Wew 10 npcs in the whole game that you talk to for 10 mins maximum through the entire game

I love Dark Souls but the lore is fucking inexistant and has no impact whatsoever on the gameplay aspect

a war of morals can be different though. different societies have different morals, from their own subjective beliefs

Man, I really need to stop being a shit, learn more of the hotkeys and pick up FS2 again.

Why should people that is inherently violent and thus objectively evil be portrayed in anything but a negative light?

Well, no side is fully evil or bad imo, while i do agree that the axis have done some evil shit (and not to mention some stupid shit) they are not the baby eating devil incarnate you would like to believe as they are people after all. Plus the Nazis did do some good deeds, like it or not

go back to Holla Forums and stay there

I'll pass, my main board is fucking nuked recently and it's rulecucked up the ass anyways so like hell i'm going back there
also i'm the guy the post above you
What i'm trying to say is that while the Axis side was wrong (i mean they are wrong big time, and they have alot more of wrongs compared to the Allies), they still have a chunk of good people in there and they did some morally respectable deeds during the Nazi rule. I mean really, it's kinda stupid to think the other side is plain evil 100%

none of those fit the bill
Are you a fucking bot

Stop it, faggot.
Anyway, most of the games I've played that does have 'gray area'-type conflicts.
I'd like to add one more to the list, though.

World in conflict, my niggers.

It'd be cool to see some vidya that puts two missions that's set in the same battle but you play as characters on one side of the conflict and another character on the opposite.

*most of the games I've played that does have 'gray area'-type conflicts have been listed out

Came in this thread just for this, thank you.

by claming nazis were le grey guys XD you are already having serious issues of delusion

And what good people were those in Axis? Do you really believe some soldier was actually believing he is killing civilians in order to protect his country or some shit ?

I keep forgetting I want to play this.

Re-read my post you stupid, they were wrong but there were some truly good people in the Axis side, and you can't deny their existence
Not all of Nazi people are soldiers you know, you want me to give an example? alright then, here is the most famous one of em if you clearly haven't known
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe

I recall there were deserting IJA soldiers that stayed back in Indonesia (around 300 i think) and they helped train the fledgling national militia to fight the Dutch's military campaign, but this one's YMMV, i think it's good even if some of them deserted to prevent being trialed for war-crimes themselves

I didnt expect anything better from a weaboo faggots who masturbate to hitler did nothing wrong meme

>>>/reddit/
Back to plebbit.
What's next? The Russians did nothing wrong because they were the "good guys" who fought the Nazis? That the Allied forces didn't commit atrocities?

Only a naive brat would think that only one side has their hands stained in blood of innocents.
And a bigger naive brat would think that you need to be a monster to commit the atrocities the people in Germany, Russia and anywhere else in the globe did. Nah. They were just normal people just like you and I. That's what makes it so scary.

And no they werent normal people, normal people dont genocide entire cities and villages out of some retarded cultist ideology

Just don't feed him

KotOR 2

Kotor 2

But it actually fucked it up in the end. Turns out the lady was really evil all along but first half of the game it made you think that there was a gray morality

I bet you didn't even beat the game fifty times and get all of the different endings. There is so much fucking writing for the end scene.

Axis had wrong sides but German Natsocs were the fucking good guys in ww2 and you know it. Japan was fucking evil tho

Kreia was a manipulative sith. Why are you so blinded by the dark side? So many creatures depends on the force; a total wipe out of the force would cause millions to die

"The Force was a mistake."

t. Kek

Kreia was evil, unless you really think killing the Force and billions of people is "good"

Let me put it this way:

"Billions of mosquitos would die if you wiped all the mosquitos out…"
"lol who cares about the future or the past, you evil mosquito-murder apologist sith? I want to virtue-signal on Facebook about how wrong killing is and get some more 'Likes' today!"

whole point of Kreia was to show corruption of Jedi and how they are wrong in this whole conflict but due to them getting timeline pushed for release alot of shit was cut from the game and thats why Kreia looks like bi-polar idiot half of the game like that scene on Nar Shadaa with the begger where she scolds you for every fucking choice you make

Bottom line is she was intended to be the ultimate boss for Light-side playthrough because instead of admitting her own mistake and fault she wants to blame the Force and kill it regardless of what would happen next.

You didn't get the point of that event. By giving that beggar extra credits, he was targeted by jealous people in his surroundings, and ended up worse off than he was before.

The point is not that "giving is bad" the entire point is "are you considering the possibility that what you believe is "good" may actually cause harm?"

The answer to which, for any light-side player, is obviously no. They think it's good to give, and think nothing past that. Not, "is this going to keep this guy on the street for another week instead of him finally caving and joining a sober living home?"

Nothing. Just "I did thing. I am good person." Which is how the Jedi Council became arrogant, and eventually corrupt the first place. "We did good thing. We good people……Even if others die because of it." Which is exactly what you accuse Kreia of doing. Even if giving the man the credits is the right thing to do after consideration the wisdom of understanding BOTH sides of the coin makes all the difference in the world.

You almost had it with

but for the wrong reason.

NieR but you don't really find that out until you beat and go through the game again.

Dragon Age games come to mind

From what I remember, most of the endings have a good one or a bad one.
At least in Origins, I haven't played the other ones.

Yes you do. Go play, nerds.